Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Suave Fedora posted:

I badly need a recommendation for PS4. I enjoy stealth-type games and the benchmark for me will always be the “Thief” titles from the late 90’s.

I always roll stealth in RPGs and Skyrim was the last time I felt a game came close to Thief.

Helpful but not needed: open world, multiplayer. I wouldn’t mind just replaying Skyrim until something better releases but I am woefully unaware of what’s what these days.

Much appreciated!

Shadow of War is the open world stealth game that I am currently playing. Sniper Elite v3 and v4 are open world as well, I believe, but I haven't gotten around to playing those because I'm waiting for a co-op partner that will never exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any good laptop-friendly (integrated graphics) squad/roster management games like Battle Brothers or Darkest Dungeon released in the last few years that aren't one of those two games?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any good laptop-friendly (integrated graphics) squad/roster management games like Battle Brothers or Darkest Dungeon released in the last few years that aren't one of those two games?

Perhaps star traders frontiers? You could also check out nowhere prophet.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

I want Witcher but set in feudal Japan so I can roleplay my Yojimbo fantasies.

Jade Empire?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Shadow of War is the open world stealth game that I am currently playing. Sniper Elite v3 and v4 are open world as well, I believe, but I haven't gotten around to playing those because I'm waiting for a co-op partner that will never exist

I prefer the dark ages/steampunk/medieval vibe so I’ve jotted down SoW for a future look. I do like that it is a LotR game.

Styx was ordered and should arrive today :dance: :fsn:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Does anyone know of a good pixel art cyberpunk tactical anything? It could be turn based, real-time, whatever really. Satellite Reign but pixel art for example, but doesn't necessarily need to be a squad based thing. Also open to anything within the cyberpunk genre with good pixel art regardless of game type! Open to good mods as well. Broad request I guess, but I have a cyberpunk pixel art itch to scratch!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Katana Zero, maybe?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

forkbucket posted:

Does anyone know of a good pixel art cyberpunk tactical anything? It could be turn based, real-time, whatever really. Satellite Reign but pixel art for example, but doesn't necessarily need to be a squad based thing. Also open to anything within the cyberpunk genre with good pixel art regardless of game type! Open to good mods as well. Broad request I guess, but I have a cyberpunk pixel art itch to scratch!

Satellite Reign is very much inspired by the Syndicate games, so you could try starting there. I remember enjoying the one I had (Syndicate Wars I think?) but no clue on how well they hold up/play on modern platforms.

You can give the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games a try too.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

forkbucket posted:

Not sure if it meets the pixel art criteria, but otherwise Invisible Inc is a really obvious recommendation. Not only is it a tactical game with a great cyberpunk setting and squad based, it's also just really good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LionEyez posted:

Are there any building games where you can make your own vehicles (cars, boats, planes, spaceships), but there's also a decent campaign or at least a reason to keep building new and bigger stuff? Bonus points if you as a character can also walk around in said vehicles.

I've played the stranded mode in Trailmakers and quite liked it, although pretty early on I realized the builder is fairly limited and you don't really need to fancy it up. I've also been eyeing Stormworks but it seems the actual missions are fairly straight-forward and people just make cool vehicles for the fun of it.

On the space/sci-fi side I know there are a few games that would fit, but the singleplayer aspect of it usually disappoints (Space Engineers), or it's an open-world, early access, survival crafting game which I'm very fatigued of. I don't want another Minecraft-like unless the grind is reasonable.
I haven't played it but From the Depths has a campaign mode and a story mode as well as creative.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I want to get into a new roguelike. Free is preferable, though I'll go for a paid one if it's really good. I'm more looking for a traditional one rather than a rogue-lite. Roguelikes without timers (starvation timers, the corruption in ADOM, etc) where I can take my time to explore I like the best.

If it helps: Roguelikes I've played to death and liked a lot:

Moria
Angband (and variants)
TOME
Caves of Qud
Dungeons of Dredmor
Introducing Swordswoman Asuka
UnReal World

Roguelikes I've played a lot but liked less:

Rogue
Brogue
Nethack

Roguelikes I bounced hard off of:

ADOM
IVAN
Elona
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
You might like Dungeonmans. It's a pretty traditional rogue like that has a persistent home base you can build up and improve upon over the course of several playthroughs. I would say it leans more towards the "Dungeons of Dredmor" side of things as far as complexity goes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Check out Cogmind. You're a robot wandering around murdering other robots for parts to make yourself a better robot. It also has the most beautiful UI I've ever seen in a roguelike.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Brogue is a single dungeon roguelike with a cool level generation system and beautiful ascii graphics. Somewhat minimalist design, but it works well.

Omega I found interesting, although the way you manage your inventory is dumb and frustrating. Old and clunky, but a very interesting world to explore. It's also super deadly, game loves to kill you for trying to check out new places and things. It is somewhat like ADOM, but no corruption system and I don't remember food being a real issue.

^^
Dungeonmans is a good one, it's also goon made. There's a roguelite style base building system, but the game is also beatable without engaging with that. The home base works well I think, it's mostly there to give you enough of a boost to skip the early part of the game after you're gone through it enough times.

^
I haven't played Cogmind, but I've heard good things, I should check that one out myself.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 16, 2020

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Not sure if it meets the pixel art criteria, but otherwise Invisible Inc is a really obvious recommendation. Not only is it a tactical game with a great cyberpunk setting and squad based, it's also just really good.

Oh yeah! I forgot I had that in my steam backlog after a sale ages ago! Remember firing it up and enjoying the first few levels! Thanks

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Satellite Reign is very much inspired by the Syndicate games, so you could try starting there. I remember enjoying the one I had (Syndicate Wars I think?) but no clue on how well they hold up/play on modern platforms.

You can give the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games a try too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to like a game but they are all so boring. I bought today Dark Souls Remastered, which was *not* fun running back to the same 2 skeletons to die again and again. Europa Universalis (whatever) 4, which MIGHT be good, but to play is akin to learning a new language... and if i put THAT much effort in I might as well make my own game. And I bought Shadow Tactics. But i stopped caring halfway through the tutorial. I buy a game and it gets boring after 20 minutes at most. I wish I could just find a fun game to play, without spending so much money to be like *pish this sucks*.
*ps The last game I remember actually enjoying was Fire Emblem Warriors.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 16, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to like a game but they are all so boring. I bought today Dark Souls Remastered, which was *not* fun running back to the same 2 skeletons to die again and again. Europa Universalis (whatever) 4, which MIGHT be good, but to play is akin to learning a new language... and if i put THAT much effort in I might as well make my own game. And I bought Shadow Tactics. But i stopped caring halfway through the tutorial. I buy a game and it gets boring after 20 minutes at most. I wish I could just find a fun game to play, without spending so much money to be like *pish this sucks*.

Fire Emblem Warriors is a musou, so you might want to try Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8. Going from a musou to Dark Souls - well, DS requires a vastly different skillset. And Europa Universalis is like asking yourself to take a college class in specifically this one game.

What other games have you enjoyed in the past?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Dark souls: don't run to the skeletons go the other way (up to the aqueduct) to find the first area.

If you haven't played xcom 2 (+expansion) yet go do that, the best and most fun tactics game of the decade imo. Put it in the easiest mode and have tons of fun, and replay later on a higher mode if you feel like it.

Other strategy-esque games that are good and fun quickly: slay the spire (deck builder roguelike), ai war 2 (pretty obtuse mechanics if you go deep but easy to get into), hitman 2 / 2016 (it's really a puzzle game and it's fun to gently caress up and screw around), into the breach (best tactics game if the century imo, you'll get the idea in minutes but it'll take loads of time to master)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Well here's some straightforward but good games I can think off the cuff.

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are great platformers with great music and art.

Into the Breach is a turn based strategy game where you command a mech team against giant bugs, and the battles take about four turns each. One run takes less than an hour, and there's plenty of unlockables to keep things interesting.

If you haven't played any of the Batmans, they are still very good beat-em-up action games.

Dusk is a classic style bunnyhopping FPS that finally managed to dethrone Painkiller as the best single player shooter campaign out there.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

also if you're into FPS games and just want to jump in and have fun you can't get wrong with OG doom, still one of the best shooters around when using custom WADs and source ports.
Go get the OG doom games from GOG or steam (you just need DOOM2, but just buy the complete packs)
Go download GZDoom from here
Then go grab some WADs, drag and drop 'm on the GZDoom executable to run, and have fun. I'd recommend starting with some modern stuff, like Eviternity for instance, or get some classics like Scythe, but there are literally too much wads to get through without running out of time. The Cacowards are a good place to look for stuff to play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

Perhaps star traders frontiers? You could also check out nowhere prophet.

Thanks, I forgot about Star Traders but now I'm getting addicted to it again, there have been a lot of updates since I last played! Something about Nowhere Prophet makes it not stick for me, but I'm not sure what.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doom
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Earth Defense Force 5
Yakuza 0

a human that doesn't enjoy at least one of those probably just doesn't enjoy videogames (which is okay)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

I want to get into a new roguelike. Free is preferable, though I'll go for a paid one if it's really good. I'm more looking for a traditional one rather than a rogue-lite. Roguelikes without timers (starvation timers, the corruption in ADOM, etc) where I can take my time to explore I like the best.

Moria
Angband (and variants)
TOME
Caves of Qud
Dungeons of Dredmor
UnReal World

Rogue
Brogue
Nethack

ADOM
IVAN
Elona
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Have you played Castle of the Winds? It's an old one that you might need dosbox-windows 3.1 to play but it's freeware, pretty decent, and you can explore freely iirc. One major downside is that there's not too much depth and after a couple runs on the hardest difficulty you've seen pretty much all it has to offer.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Moria
Angband (and variants)
TOME
Caves of Qud
Dungeons of Dredmor
UnReal World

Rogue
Brogue
Nethack

ADOM
IVAN
Elona
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

DRL (Doom: Roguelike, free) and its spiritual sequel (by the same author) Jupiter Hell (Early Acces on Steam) are great action roguelikes. Still traditional turn based, but with a focus on action, combat and positioning. I'd also heartily recommend dungeonmans, made by a goon and lots of fun. Tangledeep is also a good one.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

My husband and I just got new video cards. What's the prettiest recent game to test them on? Preferably co-op, so alas, not Metro. We've already Monster Hunter Worlded the world to death, although we have not bought Icebourne. We kinda want to shoot things though. But not, like, other players.

[edit] Hmmm Gears 5... but it's full price with middling reviews...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 16, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tagra posted:

My husband and I just got new video cards. What's the prettiest recent game to test them on? Preferably co-op, so alas, not Metro. We've already Monster Hunter Worlded the world to death, although we have not bought Icebourne. We kinda want to shoot things though. But not, like, other players.

gears 5 is on xbox game pass which is currently $1 for three months

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Deep Rock Galactic looks pretty darn good, though its not necessarily a taxing game. It just has really good art design. That's the only co-op shooter type thing that I can think of. I downloaded Gears 5 on the Game Pass and played it for about 30 minutes before it because really obvious that I did not find it to be any fun whatsoever. Just bland as gently caress.

Ooh, what about Sea of Thieves, also on the Game Pass?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tagra posted:

When you decide to go back and get into it, I have been basically exclusively Iceborne-ing for weeks now and it's quite good, definitely worth picking up especially after they patched out a bunch of the poo poo that was causing serious performance issues. they just added Rajang, a monster who is a cross between a bull and a gorilla and he is literally just goku, he goes SSJ, has a kamehameha, and gets depowered if you break his tail. He also does blanka balls because why not. his music is real good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5TYFbR07Q&hd=1

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think Deep Rock Galactic looks pretty darn good, though its not necessarily a taxing game. It just has really good art design. That's the only co-op shooter type thing that I can think of. I downloaded Gears 5 on the Game Pass and played it for about 30 minutes before it because really obvious that I did not find it to be any fun whatsoever. Just bland as gently caress.

Ooh, what about Sea of Thieves, also on the Game Pass?

I wouldn't describe sea of thieves as the prettiest, exactly.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dunno man, screenshots don't really do that game justice. Sometimes you're cruising around the water at just the right time of day and everything just clicks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've had a craving recently I blame Picard, it made me start rewatching TNG for a Sci-fi space game with more of an emphasis on characters. Something like Mass Effect only with more space battles and less ground ones. Wondering if anything like that exists.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 19, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Outer wilds, homeworld, Tacoma, event0, Soma, tie fighter

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Crying Suns maybe

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

So, I like horizontal shooters but want to branch out from my old, much played mainstays. I've played most of the older big names, though listing everything I've played would take all day, so just assume if it's older, and reasonably well known, I've probably tried it at some point.

Anyway, what it comes down to is I'm looking for a new(ish) game since I haven't picked up a new title since really the latest non-mobile Gradius games, and have no idea anymore what's generally good. I do not like bullet hell at all, so those are out. Really just something along the lines of Gradius, Darius, R-Type, Einhänder, etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So, I like horizontal shooters but want to branch out from my old, much played mainstays. I've played most of the older big names, though listing everything I've played would take all day, so just assume if it's older, and reasonably well known, I've probably tried it at some point.

Anyway, what it comes down to is I'm looking for a new(ish) game since I haven't picked up a new title since really the latest non-mobile Gradius games, and have no idea anymore what's generally good. I do not like bullet hell at all, so those are out. Really just something along the lines of Gradius, Darius, R-Type, Einhänder, etc.

Jets 'n' Guns

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Super Hydorah

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Have you seen Blazing Chrome? It's a newer game heavily inspired by 90s side scrolling shooters

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Star Control 2, and I've heard good things about Wing Commander.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I really liked the Stalker games, but kind of bounced off the first Metro games for feeling way too linear. Is Metro Exodus likely to be something I like?

I don't need a full-on BIGGEST OPEN WORLD EVERRRRR thing, just something with more exploration/wandering around doing whatever to it than 2033/Last Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sean10mm posted:

I really liked the Stalker games, but kind of bounced off the first Metro games for feeling way too linear. Is Metro Exodus likely to be something I like?

I don't need a full-on BIGGEST OPEN WORLD EVERRRRR thing, just something with more exploration/wandering around doing whatever to it than 2033/Last Light.

Exodus is a bit more open, yeah. There's also the STALKER Anomaly thingy, it's neat.