Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Yellow Fever is also one of the top 10 songs ever put into a game's radio playlist.

Just the mention of it got it stuck in my head. It’s like saying “well he ain’t my boy but the brother is heavy” around anyone who played Dead Rising. Just inspires less murderous rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I liked sleeping dogs but I’ll be honest you play as a cop and that makes me uncomfortable

You’re also a Triad member though so it kinda evens out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More like oldlawless

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wei Shen is a terrible terrible police officer and it's so integral to the plot that it's almost a spoiler to explain that that's kinda why they hired him for the job

edit: Like at the very start of the game you get a copy of his police psych profile on your phone and it says in almost these exact words "gets too personally invested in undercover cases and engages in violence to fulfill a desire for vengeance. HE'S PERFECT"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Feb 15, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
WoW has some new content where you enter a Lovecraftian Old God’s vision for the future made manifest in a dream world, fighting you way through versions of the faction capitols after the leaders succumbed to his influence. The fact that there are still a number of sane characters who you help escape actually makes it more bleak than if everyone was just dead or corrupted, since there probably isn’t anywhere they could hide for long and any revenge you get for them is completely hollow.

I just think that the atmosphere is surprisingly compelling for repeatable content you use to upgrade a legendary cloak.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Sleeping Dogs is an incredible game and I think I play it about twice a year. The combat is just so satisfying, especially when you're snapping the legs of training students.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I keep Sleeping Dogs installed to just jump into it for a few hours every so often. Took me way too long to discover you could easily just replay every mission though. Even just the open world is fun to be in. Grabbing a rude pedestrian, throwing them into the back of your minivan and most driving around (into the ocean) is always fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always end up with a handful of annoyances when it comes to Sleeping Dogs, but I can never hold any of them against the game too much because of its origins.

The fact that it's as good as it is despite that means a sequel would've probably been incredible. loving SquareEnix.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

John Murdoch posted:

I always end up with a handful of annoyances when it comes to Sleeping Dogs, but I can never hold any of them against the game too much because of its origins.

The fact that it's as good as it is despite that means a sequel would've probably been incredible. loving SquareEnix.

Well, you know the old adage. They are just letting Sleeping Dogs lie. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What Squeenix did to Sleeping Dogs after its massive success was a tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1q78DUIB4

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Sleeping dogs was a gta clone i played 8 years ago. Some dude asked me if i wanted a pork bun, and in one specific area there is a contextual button you press and you use a swordfish to kill a single dude among dozens. It looked pretty when it rained and you could jump from car to car to hijack other cars on the highway. That's about all my memories of sleeping dogs, there are way better gta clones out there, plenty from this gen. I have no idea why this game gets the love it does here.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
name one. Jak 2 doesnt count. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

Lego City Undercover :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

Saints Row IV.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Sleeping dogs was a gta clone i played 8 years ago. Some dude asked me if i wanted a pork bun, and in one specific area there is a contextual button you press and you use a swordfish to kill a single dude among dozens. It looked pretty when it rained and you could jump from car to car to hijack other cars on the highway. That's about all my memories of sleeping dogs, there are way better gta clones out there, plenty from this gen. I have no idea why this game gets the love it does here.

Yeah all those GTA-like games where you play as an undercover police officer and guns are extremely rare

edit: All those GTA-like games that take place in locations other than the US, all those GTA-like games that are focused more on the story than satirizing the time period they take place in, all those GTA-like games that aren't stuffed with pop culture references. There's just so many I can't count them all.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I love Saints Row 2 and consider it the best open-world crime game ever made, but it doesn't have a kung fu tournament, so Sleeping Dogs still wins.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My only complaint with Saint's Row 2 is when at maximum pissed-off-enemy-meter it would literally spawn full-speed vehicles behind wherever the camera was, in an attempt to be cheeky. Not the best form of difficulty. More of a cheap shot. Otherwise a stellar game.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

RareAcumen posted:

Saints Row IV.

I'm gonna recommend Sunset Overdrive to anyone who enjoyed Saints Row 4, it really feels like the perfection of what it was going for. I felt like the grind and bounce mechanics were a way better way of getting around a big city without using a car than Saints Row's flying since you got to still stay relatively closer to the ground and appreciate the scenery more than when your flying above it.

I only bring it up because I don't think Sunset Overdrive sold very well, it's an underappreciated gem if you ask me and it's the only open world game like it that I bothered to 100%. Saints Row 2 and Sunset Overdrive are about tied as my two favorite games of the genre, I really liked it :kiddo:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Crowetron posted:

I love Saints Row 2 and consider it the best open-world crime game ever made, but it doesn't have a kung fu tournament, so Sleeping Dogs still wins.

I only found out the tournament existed recently despite having best the game about 3 times. No idea where to find the tournament

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I only found out the tournament existed recently despite having best the game about 3 times. No idea where to find the tournament

It's DLC. It was included in the Definitive Edition so I forgot it wasn't part of vanilla until I looked it up just now.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ilmucche posted:

I hope you didn't miss the actual brawling tournaments? There's one in each hub.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I found the random brawling tournaments (have definitive edition) do I need to beat all of those to unlock the big tournament?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

CJacobs posted:

Yeah all those GTA-like games where you play as an undercover police officer and guns are extremely rare

edit: All those GTA-like games that take place in locations other than the US, all those GTA-like games that are focused more on the story than satirizing the time period they take place in, all those GTA-like games that aren't stuffed with pop culture references. There's just so many I can't count them all.

Play arkham city/ origins / knight. play mad max. play saints row. play GTA. play horizon, zero dawn. all of those, off the top of my head, are better than sleeping dogs. Half those games aren't set in the US, and in one you're cop, another, a vigilante on the side of the law. No idea what you're trying to say here. Sleeping dogs is massively overrated.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Olaf The Stout posted:

Play arkham city/ origins / knight. play mad max. play saints row. play GTA. play horizon, zero dawn. all of those, off the top of my head, are better than sleeping dogs. Half those games aren't set in the US, and in one you're cop, another, a vigilante on the side of the law. No idea what you're trying to say here. Sleeping dogs is massively overrated.

Mad Max is literally the only one of those not set in the US.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Olaf The Stout posted:

Mate, the arkham games, the saints row games and GTA are all set in the US (well OK SRIV is a simulation of the US) . Mad Max isn't set in the US though, sure.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Saints Row is the only one that's really a GTA-like game too.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is the thread where people talk about things in games they like. There's a whole other thread for bitching about games you don't like. Don't complain about people liking a game you don't in the thread for talking about games you like.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Can you gently caress off somewhere else? loving grumpy Kramer sliding in here, top part of his hair quivering, to be smugly wrong about a bunch of poo poo.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'm sorry that people are liking a game you don't like in the liking things about games thread. I think you're gonna struggle to convince people they didn't enjoy a game they clearly enjoyed though.

My little thing in sleeping dogs is the radio; I got a bunch of music recommendations out of that game including introducing me to Amon Tobin.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

small ghost posted:

I'm sorry that people are liking a game you don't like in the liking things about games thread. I think you're gonna struggle to convince people they didn't enjoy a game they clearly enjoyed though.

My little thing in sleeping dogs is the radio; I got a bunch of music recommendations out of that game including introducing me to Amon Tobin.

The post he's quoting is significantly pissier and I don't get why this dude is the one getting all the hate

I installed Beyond Two Souls yesterday and had fun with being an rear end in a top hat ghost. It might be the best rear end in a top hat ghost simulator I've ever played

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Noted GTA-alikes like the Arkham series, right, riiiiiight.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Feb 16, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Saints Row is the only one that's really a GTA-like game too.

This is the most impressive part of that idiot rant.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mad Max, Arkham City and Horizon are nothing like Sleeping Dogs what the hell lol.

They're all also good games but I would not compare them to each other.

Also if you're going to attempt to name a game better than Sleeping Dogs you can surely do better than fuckin Saints Row, sheesh.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Just gonna go blasting down the road in my sports car with the neon city signs turning everything a lurid pink and blue in noted GTA-alike Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Noted GTA-alikes like the Arkham series, right, riiiiiight.

What if batman had a gun

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Polaron posted:

Just gonna go blasting down the road in my sports car with the neon city signs turning everything a lurid pink and blue in noted GTA-alike Horizon: Zero Dawn.

It's more like a robot horse and green blurs

Maybe the dude considers open world games the same as GTA clone?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sleeping Dogs really impressed me with how much thought went into it. The thing that really stands out is how they made it easy to max out the police skill tree by early-mid game. Once it’s maxed out, you have no reason to be careful and there’s nothing stopping you from tearing your way through missions like a wrecking ball... and this coincides with the point in the story where Wei is starting to really be into being in the triad.

Or Winston Chu. He’s introduced as an unlikable meathead who’s brash and aggressive. Over the first third to half of the game, he softens on Wei as he proves himself and becomes a genuinely enjoyable character to have on missions. The actual character doesn’t change. He’s still a dumbass in a lot of ways and way too aggressive, but he’s likeable. It makes for a really good motivation for the player to go gently caress up the 14k after they gun him and his fiancé down on their wedding day. It wouldn’t have worked nearly as well if he was likeable from the start. Having him grow on you like that made the character feel a lot more realistic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sleeping dogs' entire last act was hilariously unfinished

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Buckets posted:

I'm gonna recommend Sunset Overdrive to anyone who enjoyed Saints Row 4, it really feels like the perfection of what it was going for. I felt like the grind and bounce mechanics were a way better way of getting around a big city without using a car than Saints Row's flying since you got to still stay relatively closer to the ground and appreciate the scenery more than when your flying above it.

I only bring it up because I don't think Sunset Overdrive sold very well, it's an underappreciated gem if you ask me and it's the only open world game like it that I bothered to 100%. Saints Row 2 and Sunset Overdrive are about tied as my two favorite games of the genre, I really liked it :kiddo:

I played SO last year and couldn't out it down. There's no good reason why it did so poorly aside from TRUE GAMERS being afraid of fun, color and silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I played SO last year and couldn't out it down. There's no good reason why it did so poorly aside from TRUE GAMERS being afraid of fun, color and silliness.

Wasn’t it an xbone exclusive for a while at a time when the console was doing pretty badly?

Also, if you like SR IV and haven’t played Prototype, play Prototype. SRIV straight up copied and pasted the movement powers from prototype, and the combat superpowers in prototype are way more fun than SRIV’s. Prototype 2 even lets you turn people into tendril grenades.