Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm CP300 and I've never done any p2p stuff. And I die alot in vet dungeons so don't feel bad.

Also someone please add me to the guild. I need to put more stuff up for sale :D

@gr33nnight

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

dorkanoid posted:

I'd completely missed the riding training :D

I usually don't even attempt crafting when starting playing an "established" MMO, since most items typically can be bought for cheap - there's an actual reason to do crafting in this game outside making simple levelling gear?

I'd like to join Sweetroll Crusaders, how do I go about that?

As the person before me said crafting can be worth it to improve items, and there's also making furniture, creating custom outfits (the way it works you only need to know the crafting style to pick the item to wear), creating potions, creating enchantments, making levelling gear, changing traits of gear (you can only use the traits you've learned via crafting). But all of that is really only useful for twinking and past cp160.

The reason you can't just buy whatever you want is that the majority of gear already drops bound, so you have to improve it yourself. One thing that's definitely worth buying though is food, at least until the very late game.

Crafting also lets you earn writ vouchers, which gives you access to extra storage and unique styles, among other things like furniture.

Again it's not absolutely essential until the endgame, but you'll want to learn what traits you can and decompose items to get a headstart. Albeit it's much easier if you get a training partner.

As for the guild you can apply to join by searching for it via the guild menu; I can send you an invite but it's often full for a day or two until people who stopped playing for over two weeks are kicked out (you can just rejoin or give notice beforehand). It's explained in the guild notes, there's a max of 500 people per guild. It also has a rather active discord and a currently broken website. Also runs various events, but mainly it's useful to get a group for anything from dungeons, trials, hc trials, pvp, twink pvp all the way to emperorship. You can ask for carry, but often just going lfg will get you one anyway, there's a couple folks who specifically like to do that. As far as I know it's the only casual max size guild which does all that and accepts everyone on the EU server, so it can be worth to wait a day or two to get in.

e: Sent you an invite and some stuff, the food is stamina one didn't have the magicka one on hand; give me a shout if you want the magicka one.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2020

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Character-build-wise, I'm probably not really great (also haven't done any dungeons :/ ) but it doesn't seem to matter much in the single player experience, and I did okay in my first battleground.

Bolded part is very true. I am questing through Murkmire and finishing up the Flawless Sacrament meta for the Dark Brotherhood (only two more to go). As this content isn't difficult I am leveling up class skills that I have never used. My current back bar is a bunch of random abilities and I can pve quest fine including fighting quest "bosses." Even better my actual spec is a StamBow Nightblade and I am using a bunch on Magika abilties so my damage is even more gimped, but I still do fine. Granted I am CP 810+ so lower level characters my have a more difficult time.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Really enjoying this game right now, just doing questing or grinding mage/psijic rank if I want to shut my brain off. One thing that really irks me is the lack of multi-spec. Like I wouldn't mind tanking later on, but I'd have to redistribute all the attribute and skill points, and for a fee? Why? At least give me an option to save the setup if I want to come back to it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

mike12345 posted:

Really enjoying this game right now, just doing questing or grinding mage/psijic rank if I want to shut my brain off. One thing that really irks me is the lack of multi-spec. Like I wouldn't mind tanking later on, but I'd have to redistribute all the attribute and skill points, and for a fee? Why? At least give me an option to save the setup if I want to come back to it.

With tanking there's the issue with health, but as far as skill points go you can get like 80% or something of skills if you do all you can.

To be fair it's far easier and more profitable to make an alt since cp is shared, but still.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There's enough skill points available via Skyshards/Public Dungeon Achievements/Leveling that you can have 2 specs ready to go, the only changes would be towards attributes and maybe CP. Even then, for 90% of content it's irrelevant, you'll only want a dedicated tank/healer setup for stuff like Vet DLC Dungeons and Veteran Trials.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Scyantific posted:

There's enough skill points available via Skyshards/Public Dungeon Achievements/Leveling that you can have 2 specs ready to go, the only changes would be towards attributes and maybe CP. Even then, for 90% of content it's irrelevant, you'll only want a dedicated tank/healer setup for stuff like Vet DLC Dungeons and Veteran Trials.

It would be nice to be able to press a button and have any skills, gear, or attributes automatically swapped out for you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's called Alpha Gear, and it does exactly that minus the attributes thing.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So can I tank normal dungeons with all points in stamina (as dk)?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's what I did, just throw on some heavy armor, a sword and shield with at least the puncture skill for taunting/holding aggro and go nuts.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I'm currently doing daily writs and mount upgrades on just three characters. I can't imagine doing it on as many as 18. :eek:

Isn't 8 slots the cap normally? Somebody went and bought 10 extra slots from the Crown Store? I guess if you saved up your monthly crowns from subbing it'd be okay...

Though I told myself I wasn't going to spend crowns on the loot boxes, I did end up buying the Newcomer's Pack from the ESO Store, since it was just :10bux: for 1500 crowns (plus pet and consumables), as opposed to $15 for the same amount of crowns. Four loot boxes later, and the crown gem recovery off every item that wasn't decent, and I was able to buy a very adorable black kitty pet. :3:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I wasn’t going to buy crowns either but that cat looks just like one of our cats, so I had to :3:

What’s the best place to park a crafting mule?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Yea it doesnt take much investment to tank a regular dungeon.

Doctor Zero posted:

I wasn’t going to buy crowns either but that cat looks just like one of our cats, so I had to :3:

vvardenfell

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Everyone who has requested a Goon Guild invite has been invited to this point.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just got this game because Fanatical suckered me into it with a good deal. I'd like to poopsock it up with a goon guild. Any chance I can get an invite to the NA guild (Chill Bros Chat Lounge)?

Edit: Woo! Thanks for the invite!

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 18, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mike12345 posted:

So can I tank normal dungeons with all points in stamina (as dk)?

i main stamDK dps and this is what I do, you'll be fine carrying as tank for anything non-dlc normal/Vet and some dlc normal (your groups dps will need to catch up here cause your sustain is going to be a bit weaker but if theyre good enough should be fine)

no on dlc vet stuff, no on trials

just use alpha gear add on to hotswap to heavy armor etc and such for when a tank is really needed. usually its just do trash as dps, swap to tank set up when a boss fight just really requires one person to take all the threat because even on normal some of the DLC dungeons have some real Get hosed hits that are basically designed to be eaten by a tank so _someone_ has to do it

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

frgildan posted:

vvardenfell

Oh heck, yeah, Vivic City is great. The wayshrine and stable are next to each other, and all seven types of crafting tables are just down the road a bit, past a bunch of guild vendors. The turn-in location for the writs is around the corner on the docks, past one of the entrances to the underground. The other wayshrine in Vivic City is next to the respec shrines, as well. I picked my free "house" (more of a walk-in closet) to be the one in Vivic City just for the free teleport no matter where in the world I am.

You only get one of the free houses per character, but if you enter any of those types (of which there are six), hit F5 then spend 3K in gold in order to buy it, should you want multiple places around Tamriel to 'port to. :)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My friends want me to play this with them, and I'm not sure where to start. The OP says it's out of date and to go to Discord instead... but the Discord it suggests seems to be people who are just playing FFXIV now. Kind of worrying.

I read somewhere that this isn't like other MMOs where flavor choices don't matter, and your early choices like character race can actually have a big effect so you need to plan ahead... is that still true? If so, what things do I need to know/decide now?

Edit: I looked at the classes and I want to play Warden, if that clarifies things. Ideally I'd like to switch between tank, dps, and healing situationally like you can in WoW, but neckbeards on the internet make it sound like that hamstrings you longterm. That's a bummer if so.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 18, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

My friends want me to play this with them, and I'm not sure where to start. The OP says it's out of date and to go to Discord instead... but the Discord it suggests seems to be people who are just playing FFXIV now. Kind of worrying.

I read somewhere that this isn't like other MMOs where flavor choices don't matter, and your early choices like character race can actually have a big effect so you need to plan ahead... is that still true? If so, what things do I need to know/decide now?

Edit: I looked at the classes and I want to play Warden, if that clarifies things. Ideally I'd like to switch between tank, dps, and healing situationally like you can in WoW, but neckbeards on the internet make it sound like that hamstrings you longterm. That's a bummer if so.

A) You can still ask questions in the discord
B) Choice is irrelevant for the most part unless you're gonna aim for that top 1%; go nuts with whatever you want
C) You can, for the most part it's a simple gear/skill change to swap between roles.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You'll probably want to pick a race which is better for whatever you want to do the most, but racial differences are fairly minor, maybe the equivalent of 200 cp or so. So you can just swap to whatever other thing with a respec and not lose much of your ability.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The single most important factor dictating my race choice for all of my characters is that lizards are cool, and I have no regrets. I can handle vet DLC dungeons with any build I've put enough time into, and my difficulties have more to do with learning complicated boss mechanics, messing up my rotations, and getting distracted by pretty explosions than anything having to do with gear, let alone race. And gear matters a lot more than race.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
It's also worth nothing that they changed the classes so that the differences are smaller than they used to be, and most (all?) now get decent bonuses to both mag and stam.

I used a race change token to change into a khajiit since their racials increase pickpocketing by 5% and reduces detection radius by 3 m :toot:

e: argonians' 50% increased swiming speed is clearly the best racial skill

valuum fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 18, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

valuum posted:

It's also worth nothing that they changed the classes so that the differences are smaller than they used to be, and most (all?) now get decent bonuses to both mag and stam.

It's more like half than all, but as I said it's about the equivalent of 200cp, which really is nothing - it's pretty common to run even vet dlc dungeons and trials with people who have a bigger difference than that. Even HC trials, but some people might get a bit mouthy. Remember that cp maxes out at 810 and it takes a really long time to get there (a ~1000+ hours, give or take).

That said it's also not completely insignificant, especially in pvp, but you'll be wanting to make alts anyway so w/e.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Yeah I suppose the best tip if you're not sure about mag/stam/dps/heal/tank is to go khajiit or dunmer?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
One thing I don’t get about this game is why mount training is character specific. It’s such a ridiculous slow process. Guess they gotta sell crowns.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ort posted:

One thing I don’t get about this game is why mount training is character specific. It’s such a ridiculous slow process. Guess they gotta sell crowns.

Gotta sell crowns

valuum posted:

Yeah I suppose the best tip if you're not sure about mag/stam/dps/heal/tank is to go khajiit

:frogout:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Can I get a guild invite please?

@pixillateme

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

The single most important factor dictating my race choice for all of my characters is that lizards are cool, and I have no regrets.

:respek:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So how is the combat balance now? When I left my Magblade was caught in an infinite loop of nerfs to sustain and damage that finally drove me away. Is it still pretty much the same or is it better now? Or at least stabilized?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Hakarne posted:

So how is the combat balance now? When I left my Magblade was caught in an infinite loop of nerfs to sustain and damage that finally drove me away. Is it still pretty much the same or is it better now? Or at least stabilized?

It's been stabilised since last summer or so, but there's supposed to be some minor racial sustain buffs coming, possibly, perhaps.

You can still do bomber builds I guess.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hakarne posted:

Still bad. They've recovered a bit but for the most part Gilliam is still just doing dumb poo poo with combat balance. Not much hope for the future either.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I decided to give it another shot for the first time since July and I was actually pleasantly surprised with my Magblade for pve. It feels like they changed the length of the DOTs? I was doing my muscle-memory rotation and running dry on magicka, then I noticed that I was refreshing everything waaay early. I checked Alcast and sure enough the rotation was simplified and there's a lot more room for filler attacks (or in my case room for error). I felt like I had a lot more control and leeway over what I was doing, and even loving up the new rotation I was able to consistently pull 34-36k DPS on a dummy with my highest parse at 37.5k. My best dummy DPS pre-nerf was ~38.5k, and I feel like I could hit that again if I get the new rotation down. And this is using a more survivable build with Swallow Soul as a filler attack, I could probably go much higher if I did a cookie-cutter raid build. I went out to solo world bosses and it felt like they dropped easier with fewer close calls on my health.

The break was good as I was burning out, but I resubscribed and I'm feeling excited to start going through the content I missed. :)

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Everyone who I could invite has been invited to this point.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Reinstall number 400, lets try this agaaaain.

Could I get a ginvite? @Degren

Apparently I hit 50 last time but don't remember it. Hmm.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

52 GB patch?! :gonk:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

52 GB patch?! :gonk:

They said you'll have to download the whole client again around Q1/Q2 for perf improvements.

Does this mean the perf improvements are here? I might actually want to play again if the game runs much better.

edit: yasssss https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57719

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Huh, I never had any performance issues outside of PvP. I am stuck on a horrendously slow connection for the time being, however. There's still no way to resume downloads after a restart, right?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Huh, I never had any performance issues outside of PvP

Well I have a 1080Ti and 9900K and even with the draw distance turned down the game struggles to reach 60fps in busy areas, which is quite shocking. The game is largely CPU-bound because it is mostly single-threaded, a quirk of it being an old freakin' engine at this point, so throwing modern hardware at it doesn't help much. There are also many server-side improvements they needed to make ... the big shocking one to me was that they had no 'cold storage' for accounts, i.e. when I quit in beta and didn't come back for 4+ years my account was kept hot and ready to login at a moment's notice - what a waste of resources. Sometimes you get a bunch of computer science nerds to create a game and it's all technically flawless but seriously lacking in content, ESO is the opposite of that. There's a lot of game, but not a lot of good implementation.

SplitSoul posted:

There's still no way to resume downloads after a restart, right?

I wouldn't know, but if not, see above re: poor implementation. That being said have you tried clicking pause and closing the launcher?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pivo posted:

Well I have a 1080Ti and 9900K and even with the draw distance turned down the game struggles to reach 60fps in busy areas, which is quite shocking.

Probably a consequence of only running it at 1080p, but I didn't have any significant issues on my old 3570+HD7850, although I did notice improved frames on my current 9600K+GTX 1060. I've always been running it maxed with MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS set to -3. Runs fine even with lots happening in dungeons, only thing it struggles with is massive skirmishes in PvP.

Pivo posted:

That being said have you tried clicking pause and closing the launcher?

It hasn't worked previously, but it's already downloaded a bunch at this point, so I thought I'd ask before having to do it over.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SplitSoul posted:

Probably a consequence of only running it at 1080p, but I didn't have any significant issues on my old 3570+HD7850, although I did notice improved frames on my current 9600K+GTX 1060. I've always been running it maxed with MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS set to -3. Runs fine even with lots happening in dungeons, only thing it struggles with is massive skirmishes in PvP.

It hasn't worked previously, but it's already downloaded a bunch at this point, so I thought I'd ask before having to do it over.

With GTX 1060 you should be able to run it on 4k maxed with fps in the 45-60 range, though I'm not sure about the processor but it should be fine too if you can keep it on max turbo. I've recently upgraded from the Surface Pro to the Surface Book 2 (which has a 1060 and a 4k display) and that's what I do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 24, 2020