Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

I know coincidences don't exist, but is it possible for it to be someone who sounds similar to Senku?

It is possible but also it'd be really narratively unsatisfying so there's no way that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I know coincidences don't exist, but is it possible for it to be someone who sounds similar to Senku?

Doesn’t seem likely since it’s the character with super hearing that pointed it out.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

There is a simple reason it could speak in Senku's voice: Senku provided voice samples to it during their last chat. If thats the case, this is either a robot or a human with modern computers (or better) that can make voice modulators. Hell, the speaker quality means it may not be that hard.

We can also safely say that Senku has the only Medusa right now, or at the very least, the mystery person doesn't have one because if they did, they'd just set it off themselves.

Finally, we now know that the medusa that Senku has is what destroyed everything last time around, or if its not the only one, its capable of doing so.

The implications of all of these theories are scary from an in-universe perspective, and exciting as a reader.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

e: I am just dumb on all parts forgetting key parts of how this manga works

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think we can assume one thing about the voice: whoever or whatever it is, they are not susceptible to the medusa. Either they are a person in a special bunker or in space or it's some strange machine still operating after thousands of years. Otherwise, why set the medusa to petrify the whole planet? Clearly they don't know enough about the locations of the active humans to accurately petrify them all and are not willing to risk anyone escaping. If they were susceptible, they would,say, petrify that hemisphere or something, assuming they're not nearby.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

They just keep this poo poo interesting don't they.

And also it seems that the medusa having a limited acceptance range for its use is the most likely answer.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Is the fact that the Medusa has advanced enough voice recognition that it can parse a variety of users voices and even muffled speech (Ibara using it underwater) accurately, but also has entirely zero controls put in place for authorized users imply something?

Like, if Ibara was secretly put in place to control the human population under his purview by the Why Man (a la King Spiral) then having it only work for him/his crew would make sense.

But we can be pretty sure that's not the case and the device just works for whoever. Maybe it was never meant to be lost or needed again after the first petrification.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it being so easy to use (and thus so dangerous) is a mystery in and of itself!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t think this is the same device that petrified the planet originally, it’s too slow.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

RatHat posted:

I don’t think this is the same device that petrified the planet originally, it’s too slow.

You're correct, assuming it doesn't move faster as the target distance rises. They specified the speed of the Medusa's effect to be a little less than 40 kph. 40 kph is about equal to 11.1 repeating m/s. Let's call it 11 m/s to keep the math a little easier.

Someone looking at the first episode of the anime can probably measure the speed of the beam as it goes around the Earth. I am not that someone.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 11, 2020

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Inglonias posted:

You're correct, assuming it doesn't move faster as the target distance rises. They specified the speed of the Medusa's effect to be a little less than 40 kph. 40 kph is about equal to 11.1 repeating m/s. Let's call it 11 m/s to keep the math a little easier.

Someone looking at the first episode of the anime can probably measure the speed of the beam as it goes around the Earth. I am not that someone.
I don't think that someone is the animation staff either, although given how detailed Inagaki has been I wouldn't be surprised if he gave them that information.

Either way, impressive work

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It could just accelerate as it expands

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think that someone is the animation staff either, although given how detailed Inagaki has been I wouldn't be surprised if he gave them that information.

Either way, impressive work

If you're talking about the math I did, I literally plugged that phrase into wolframalpha for the answer. I did zero work.

If you're talking about the animators or the author, carry on.

M_Gargantua posted:

It could just accelerate as it expands

It could, but it hit the whole island when Senku was doing his math. If it was accelerating, his count would have been off.

I think RatHat is correct that the pocket Medusa didn't freeze the world the first time around. The screenshot I showed said it would take two weeks to envelop the world at the rate it goes. I think that there's a supersized version in South America, which is where they wanted to take their ship the first time around. This island is just off the coast of Japan, I think.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Imagine if it was the pocket medusa. Just this slow wave of petrification that no one can stop or avoid and it's going to get you one day eventually.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Imagine if it was the pocket medusa. Just this slow wave of petrification that no one can stop or avoid and it's going to get you one day eventually.

A set up where someone set up the 2 week medusa would give just enough time to find a way to stop it, but just enough danger to keep moving and the drama that could cause. I could see it happening. Especially if they left the medusa away from the main group and lacked the acid to just no sell it again

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New chapter with a bunch of different info dumps. People with petrification device tattoos, a meteor shower of devices, and... the MOOOOOOOON!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Let's show those bitcoiners how you get up there.

Weird chapter though, like where did the samurai come from?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Let's show those bitcoiners how you get up there.

People thought it was Soyuz' mother when he was pulled up along with the crew.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

there are gonna be all kinds of random-rear end people in that water, they showed shitloads of statues when people first got there

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just binged this manga over the last 24 hours. About a dozen chapters in I started going "This seems so insanely familiar to Eyeshield 21, these guys are pretty much Hiruma and Agon" and I looked it up and by God it's Inagaki. I'd been aware of the manga for awhile now but never looked too much into it, if I had known it was written by Inagaki I would've jumped onto board a couple years ago. The man is a genius.

The whole manga is a nonstop parade of "wholesome" and "delightful". Really refreshing.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I'm starting to think that this may not be possible without a LOT more people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The thing that interests me most is the fuel they're going to use because while I've read wikis about early liquid oxygen creation I still don't understand it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All the strong people are going to throw them into orbit using a series of levers

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P84NiVGJsw

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My idea is that the stupid loving AI set up a base on the moon, and then recreated the petrification devices and sent it down to the island. It probably realized the healing properties of the device and figured it would be a huge help to the island, it just didn't think that the villagers wouldn't know or have the means to remove the petrification because it's a buggy AI now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think they're actually capable of space travel. It'll be like the smart phone arc where they ended up with pretty much a portable radio, they'll create a remotely controlled moon walker and launch that to the Moon. Actual human space flight would be impossible without a decades long effort even for someone like Senku, starting with the resources he has.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Well, it sure seems that Rei / the Deus ex Machina AI from the side manga is a different thing than the moon villain, so the next question is whether all of this sudden radio traffic also puts Rei into action or not. It's a huge thumb on the scale that would give Senku a giant leg up. Even if it doesn't come into play, kudos for the side story cutting out a large window of time where Rei was effectively offline and thus not around to see the moon villain in action.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Please just let Rei fade into non-existence

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Please just let Rei fade into non-existence

We're trying, but Ikari just keeps ignoring orders. Like father like son, I suppose.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

I hope the AI side story stuff was just a digression and has no involvement with the main story.

profileusername fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 17, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

profileusername posted:

I hope the AI side story stuff was just a digression has no involvement with the main story.

nope, its gonna be a vocaloid on the moon

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

My idea is that the stupid loving AI set up a base on the moon, and then recreated the petrification devices and sent it down to the island. It probably realized the healing properties of the device and figured it would be a huge help to the island, it just didn't think that the villagers wouldn't know or have the means to remove the petrification because it's a buggy AI now.

I don't think we'll see this happen. It's going to be someone new.

Patware posted:

there are gonna be all kinds of random-rear end people in that water, they showed shitloads of statues when people first got there
Yeah, but the way he talks it seems like he really was from Feudal Japan. :psyduck:
Which could mean the beam was activated first in Senkuu's time.
Missed some people who were in space or spelunking or whatever, they rebuilt society up to a point where they matched the middle ages only to be hit with a beam again.

Lurking Haro posted:

People thought it was Soyuz' mother when he was pulled up along with the crew.

So did I. :(

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, but the way he talks it seems like he really was from Feudal Japan. :psyduck:
Which could mean the beam was activated first in Senkuu's time.
Missed some people who were in space or spelunking or whatever, they rebuilt society up to a point where they matched the middle ages only to be hit with a beam again.

you might be right but this *is* still anime. suika can turn into a morph ball and kaseki learned glassblowing by watching two morons gently caress up for five minutes

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This latest development is kinda souring me of the story a bit. So far the plot has been fairly well grounded in plausible science development (ignoring some intricacies like the aforementioned glass blowing and making things like vacuum tubes) I can handwave the radio and powered ship fine enough. Just assume extra development time off panel. But space? Much less the freaking moon?

I wonder just what the plot is going to be for the science advisor to sign off on it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

They have a space capsule already

They just need to build a delivery system for it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crain posted:

This latest development is kinda souring me of the story a bit. So far the plot has been fairly well grounded in plausible science development (ignoring some intricacies like the aforementioned glass blowing and making things like vacuum tubes) I can handwave the radio and powered ship fine enough. Just assume extra development time off panel. But space? Much less the freaking moon?

I wonder just what the plot is going to be for the science advisor to sign off on it.

We're building a smartphone!
*Actually builds a radio*

We're building a race car!
*Actually builds a steam wagon*

We're building a drone!
*First builds a wired RC car*

We're going to space!
*Tries to restore civilization to a level to support an unmanned probe, other plot develops in the meantime*

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

We're building a smartphone!
*Actually builds a radio*

We're building a race car!
*Actually builds a steam wagon*

We're building a drone!
*First builds a wired RC car*

We're going to space!
*Tries to restore civilization to a level to support an unmanned probe, other plot develops in the meantime*

That's fair, but "restore civilization to a level to support an unmanned probe" is still a crazy lot of development to the point that it feels meaninglessly far off. And the moon is crazy far away. Like way farther than most people can correctly estimate. It's roughly 400,000km +- 50,000km given it has an elliptical orbit.

I just can't fathom a "well it technically fits the definition of the result we wanted without actually being that thing" solution to this declaration unlike the other examples.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Crain posted:

That's fair, but "restore civilization to a level to support an unmanned probe" is still a crazy lot of development to the point that it feels meaninglessly far off. And the moon is crazy far away. Like way farther than most people can correctly estimate. It's roughly 400,000km +- 50,000km given it has an elliptical orbit.

I just can't fathom a "well it technically fits the definition of the result we wanted without actually being that thing" solution to this declaration unlike the other examples.

The distance barely matters, the hard part is getting to low earth orbit (i.e. the first 250 kilometers).
Just getting there needs almost twice as much delta-v as getting from low earth orbit to moon orbit (9.4 km/s from earth to low earth orbit, 3.94 km/s from low earth orbit to low moon orbit).
Even going from low earth orbit to low mars orbit needs less (5.71 km/s) than getting off earth in the first place, and mars is a lot farther away (200-400 million kilometers, depending on where in their orbits both planets are).