Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ICHIBAHN posted:

What is the gybe reference by zsj

This I believe?

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1193533097784086528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh. Expected a deeper cut

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
A special thank you to Pulp for the official theme song to this year's Wrestlemania!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZjKC0EaY0

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Underrated casual burial this week, courtesy of filthy four, when discussing awful styles clash matches in WWE. Tom suggests Randy Orton Vs. Titus O'Neil, Bryan says:

"Randy'd get a great match out of him. It would bore people, but it would be great"

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Bryan: So who's Cena's mania opponent?
Dave: I'll tell you tomorrow because I actually have been told -- and it's not like I don't believe it because I know it's probably true -- but I can't believe it put it that way. It's so underwhelming it's ridiculous.
Bryan: Sounds like either Corbin or Elias
Dave: .....Ok......It's not Corbin

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm going to be in Mexico during Mania weekend and up until this week I was looking for ways to watch it from there, but now I can't even be assed to bother.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OctoberCountry posted:

Dave: I'll tell you tomorrow because I actually have been told -- and it's not like I don't believe it because I know it's probably true -- but I can't believe it put it that way. It's so underwhelming it's ridiculous.

...They realise you have to actually be pushing someone for them to benefit by going over a legend, right? Like, having someone be a geek and then beat Cena and go back to being a geek doesn't make them a big star, it makes Cena less of one.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

I love Dave :allears:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71WZb9VTwnY

I'm dying at Bischoff salivating over Linda McMahon this dude is horny af

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Eat my fuc

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cent still wrestles? I thought he was a Serious Adult now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He needs new weights so he's coming back for Mania.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave's day according to the latest WOR:

OctoberCountry posted:

Dave: it's not like I don't believe it because I know it's probably true -- but I can't believe it put it that way. It's so underwhelming it's ridiculous.

Reminds me of the lead-in to the Angle/Corbin Mania match where Dave and Bryan kept saying that they kept being told it was just going to straight up be Angle vs. Corbin and nobody was telling them anything different, but as they said this you could tell they couldn't quite bring themselves to believe it in spite of all that. You know, because it was such a giant loving waste.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It might actually be okay if it's Elias vs the Doctor of Thuganomics, rather than John Cena.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

It might actually be okay if it's Elias vs the Doctor of Thuganomics, rather than John Cena.

they did all that needed to happen with that last year already though!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Reminds me of the lead-in to the Angle/Corbin Mania match where Dave and Bryan kept saying that they kept being told it was just going to straight up be Angle vs. Corbin and nobody was telling them anything different, but as they said this you could tell they couldn't quite bring themselves to believe it in spite of all that. You know, because it was such a giant loving waste.

I remember reading the GDT and right down to the minute entrances seemed to be happening there were posters not believing that was the plan, and it's like :laffo: "how much benefit of the doubt are you still willing to give this company, because it really shouldn't be any. at all"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
If I do a limited show fact checking the Ruthless Aggression docuseries called Ruthless Transgressions pr Ruthless Corrections or something (although I want to be able to turn it into a general WWE fact check show if it does well), who should be the Jordan to my Dan?

Also:

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1228842791901548545

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

davidbix posted:

If I do a limited show fact checking the Ruthless Aggression docuseries called Ruthless Transgressions pr Ruthless Corrections or something (although I want to be able to turn it into a general WWE fact check show if it does well), who should be the Jordan to my Dan?

Also:

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1228842791901548545

MRT is my fav wrestling historian on this board, so much knowledge and a lot of it is the stuff that isn’t part of “accepted wrestling history” even amongst know-it-all types

For instance I had no idea that WCW was already turning around after the Macho-Flair feud did great house show business even before the NWO formed until I listened to The Monumental Podcast

e: also “Ruthless Transgressions” is a great name, “Ruthless Corrections” sounds like a WiP movie

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Someone else suggested Truthless Aggression and yeah, that would have to be it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Reckless Assertions

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Toothless Infections, with Dr. Britt Baker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

gently caress that's good, go with that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Every episode promises HLA: Honest Legitimate Actuallys

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'll do it but my only contributions will be a really bad Stu Hart impression and rants about how individual wrestlers are either too wet or not wet enough.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

davidbix posted:

mrt would be a great cohost for this

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Zombie Lemur posted:

Why was Meshuggah being discussed on Austin's podcast?
He is a fan

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

THOSE EYES LUST FOR ELIZABETH. O'Connor's may, as well.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1229288575994384386

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos
Listening to an old B&V&C and Bryan tells a great story. Kanyon called him and said he had a bet going for like $100. Is Fritz Von Erich dead or alive? Bryan says I hope you win, Fritz is dead. Kanyon pauses then Bryan hears "I TOLD YOU HE WAS ALIVE". Then the phone disconnects.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yukaichiban posted:

Listening to an old B&V&C and Bryan tells a great story. Kanyon called him and said he had a bet going for like $100. Is Fritz Von Erich dead or alive? Bryan says I hope you win, Fritz is dead. Kanyon pauses then Bryan hears "I TOLD YOU HE WAS ALIVE". Then the phone disconnects.

One of my favorites.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yukaichiban posted:

I listened to that just the other day. It's great.

Bryan had a really interesting rant in one of the Retro shows I just listened to. It also tied in with this interview with Melina I just found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-AaGQpHbfg

In the retro show, Bryan going on one of his most memorable rants to me. It was...I forget the exact teams but Ivory and Jacqueline were on different teams and also The Kat and Terri Runnels were there. Bryan talks about how Jackie and Ivory are as good as most of the female wrestlers today in WWE. Maybe not up to par with the absolute best but better than many. He pointed out how, in their own way, The Kat and Terri were better at their roles than a lot of the ladies on WWE today. Kat and Terri were not wrestlers, they were sexy women paid to catfight and strip each other naked. They did that well. He criticized how the WWE wants all its women to wrestle now but many of them...can't. They are bad at wrestling while at least Kat and Terri were good at being sexy.

Melina in the interview talks about how "Divas" get a bad rep and I think that's fair. Thank God gravy bowl matches are a thing of the past but not every woman has to be a great worker. And even in the diva days, people like Jazz and - I'm glad Melina referenced here because she was always my favorite - Victoria were awesome and the modern history of "WWE only got good female wrestlers in the last five years" is insulting. Good female wrestlers were always there, even in the Attitude Era towards the end.

Also I can't say I ever watched any of her matches but Nikki Bella was around a few years ago and she had one talent. She was good at it - being sexy is a talent. But things haven't changed that much it seems. They're just trying to make the women there to be sexy be workers on par with Charlotte or something. I guess you just gotta try and find a happy medium between sex appeal and working good.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 17, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I listened to that just the other day. It's great.

Bryan had a really interesting rant in one of the Retro shows I just listened to. It also tied in with this interview with Melina I just found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-AaGQpHbfg

In the retro show, Bryan going on one of his most memorable rants to me. It was...I forget the exact teams but Ivory and Jacqueline were on different teams and also The Kat and Terri Runnels were there. Bryan talks about how Jackie and Ivory are as good as most of the female wrestlers today in WWE. Maybe not up to par with the absolute best but better than many. He pointed out how, in their own way, The Kat and Terri were better at their roles than a lot of the ladies on WWE today. Kat and Terri were not wrestlers, they were sexy women paid to catfight and strip each other naked. They did that well. He criticized how the WWE wants all its women to wrestle now but many of them...can't. They are bad at wrestling while at least Kat and Terri were good at being sexy.

Melina in the interview talks about how "Divas" get a bad rep and I think that's fair. Thank God gravy bowl matches are a thing of the past but not every woman has to be a great worker. And even in the diva days, people like Jazz and - I'm glad Melina referenced here because she was always my favorite - Victoria were awesome and the modern history of "WWE only got good female wrestlers in the last five years" is insulting. Good female wrestlers were always there, even in the Attitude Era towards the end.

Also I can't say I ever watched any of her matches but Nikki Bella was around a few years ago and she had one talent. She was good at it - being sexy is a talent. But things haven't changed that much it seems. They're just trying to make the women there to be sexy be workers on par with Charlotte or something. I guess you just gotta try and find a happy medium between sex appeal and working good.

Nikki Bella was a better wrestler than Melina.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Nikki Bella was a better wrestler than Melina.

Fair enough. As I said, never watched anything with her, just going off what I read online. Plus I'm just not a great judge of how good a wrestler is, anyway. I just liked Melina and Victoria most from back when I really followed wrestling in the mid-2000s.

Lita is the one who gets a lot of poo poo from people online it seems. Everybody remembers her because she was with the Hardy's and could do stuff in the ring unlike a lot of the other notable WWE women of the time. Except I guess a lot of what she could do was incredibly sloppy. I haven't gone back and watched a Lita match to try and judge her from my older perspective.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Offering my services as a comedic relief podcast cohost. I dont have catchphrases, hate soundboards but I love zingers and non sequiturs. Marginal understanding of wrestling history.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I thought Nikki was p drat good at murdering fools with elbows tbh

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hunnert car pileup posted:

I thought Nikki was p drat good at murdering fools with elbows tbh

Nikki started out very much just part of the “hey we’re sexy twins” thing and then near the end she actually got pretty good while Brie just stayed...Brie.

Of course, as part of that, Nikki also had a finisher that hosed her neck all up

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Jacqueline is super underrated. She had a ton of physical charisma and always came off as a serious, dangerous threat in the ring.

that's the big problem with how WWE treats their women, they don't come across as serious fighters, they come across as people dressed like wrestlers for Halloween. Same for the men, but I think it's more noticeable with the women because a lot more of them started from scratch in the Performance Center or with little experience, and the PC is completely incapable of training anyone so they don't act like bland smiley robots

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Jacqueline is super underrated. She had a ton of physical charisma and always came off as a serious, dangerous threat in the ring.

that's the big problem with how WWE treats their women, they don't come across as serious fighters, they come across as people dressed like wrestlers for Halloween. Same for the men, but I think it's more noticeable with the women because a lot more of them started from scratch in the Performance Center or with little experience, and the PC is completely incapable of training anyone so they don't act like bland smiley robots

I'm trying to catch up with current WWE. After listening to WOR and Dave and Bryan putting over Carmella vs. Bailey, I went and watched the match. I thought Bailey played a great aggressive heel in the match.

Bailey has been my favorite lady wrestler in WWE as I drift in and out over the last couple years. Loved her as a face and she seems to be just as good as a heel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jackie was a solid southern style wrestler/valet but I don't know how she holds up to today's era of women's wrestlers.

The fact of the matter is women's wrestling today IS better than it was 20 or 30 years ago. There's been an evolution of it thanks to stuff like SHIMMER and even the bigger stars of the Diva ear like Trish, Lita, Victoria, Gail Kim, etc and we're in like the next generation of women who grew up watching that and had more opportunities and motivation.

But that doesn't mean WWE doesn't still promote women with a couple of years of Performance Center experience over women with a decade of travel and real experience because they have the right look.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm glad Bryan loved the Takeover main event because it means a week of WOLs of him arguing with half the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I thought the main event was great, and i'm not a fan of either Ciampa or Cole at all. My only disappointment was how weak the belt shot that ended the match was, it barely touched him and made it look silly after everyone had been kicking out of moves that would have put the Fiend away.