Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A question came to me, as it does everyone, when looking at a Diezel VH4: What is the most ridiculous "high gain" amp? Ridiculous can mean anything from price to ostentatiousness to how insanely bad the tone is. You know who I mean... amps that look/sound like some dipshitted Alienware PC hosed a Carvin.
The Verellen Meatsmoke

300 Watt Bass or Guitar Amplifier. Really loving expensive (marked at 2700 starting price). Really good loving sound. It weights 90 loving pounds, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ha I just sold my Meatsmoke Preamp. The full beast is indeed bonkers.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
look up used prices for randall warhead and x2 amps

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

look up used prices for randall warhead and x2 amps

Looked up those amps... which led me to this fantastically economic future purchase:

https://reverb.com/item/654890-rand...m_source=google

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Risky sale when the cabs form a load bearing wall.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Which three are the real ones!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hah. Free shipping.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hate that fuckawesome420 style of writing

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hate that fuckawesome420 style of writing

HarmonyCentral.com gear reviewer Rip Glitter is the only guy who was ever any good at it.

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A question came to me, as it does everyone, when looking at a Diezel VH4: What is the most ridiculous "high gain" amp? Ridiculous can mean anything from price to ostentatiousness to how insanely bad the ton
e is. You know who I mean... amps that look/sound like some dipshitted Alienware PC hosed a Carvin.

Wouldn't put this in the same category as the VH4, but the Metasonix G1000 loving Fucker wins for me.

5 grand price tag, intentionally sounds horrible and does weird unpredictable poo poo using obscure vintage valves. And it's got a dial labelled 'ream your rear end'. No idea how many of these things actually got made but I bet it got em the attention they wanted.

This is my first SA post after paying the forum tax and immediately found this thread...for all I know, posting that thing here is basically cheating.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh wow, I forgot R*_ Animal Babies existed. Probably for the better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Biscuitbeard posted:

Wouldn't put this in the same category as the VH4, but the Metasonix G1000 loving Fucker wins for me.

5 grand price tag, intentionally sounds horrible and does weird unpredictable poo poo using obscure vintage valves. And it's got a dial labelled 'ream your rear end'. No idea how many of these things actually got made but I bet it got em the attention they wanted.

This is my first SA post after paying the forum tax and immediately found this thread...for all I know, posting that thing here is basically cheating.
Welcome, Biscuitbeard!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Biscuitbeard posted:

it's not quite ibanez jem level but it has its place in thread lore

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Biscuitbeard posted:

Christ I hate Barbour's schtick.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Biscuitbeard posted:

Howdy!

rickiep00h posted:

Christ I hate Barbour's schtick.
This made me curious enough to go looking into this amp and the first hit on Google was the user manual, which is so heavy on schitck I only made it half-way through it before my eyes rolled out of my head.
This is the manual. Jesus wept.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 16, 2020

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I assumed you were exaggerating for effect. This was not the case. Jesus did indeed weep, as that is some terrible pretentious bullshit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

He's like that in interviews, too. I think the first time I saw him was in the modular synth documentary I Dream of Wires and every moment he was on screen I wanted something terrible to happen to him like he'd get attacked by a pack of roving hyenas or something equally monkeycheese, as would befit his idiom. He's like a 14-year-old punk kid got blessed with savant-like circuit design knowledge.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he and the zachary guitars dude would make a great couple

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Howdy!

This made me curious enough to go looking into this amp and the first hit on Google was the user manual, which is so heavy on schitck I only made it half-way through it before my eyes rolled out of my head.
This is the manual. Jesus wept.

I like the first bit where it basically says that the about is so terribly designed that it won't survive more than an hour turned on. And that's assuming no heat sources like lights or a lovely crowded basement with no AC. Although crowded might be pushing it...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Imagine spending all that time, energy and money to be an edgelord. Lol

At least Friedman’s amps are good, if given juvenile names.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sticking some Way Huge pedals into Friedman amps must lead to tonal bliss.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I have 2 Friedmans, and I would still rock the loving fucker given half a chance.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol apparently kiesel's next on gibson's nuisance suit list. they got a cease and desist letter over their single cut prs and backward rhoads v knockoffs

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:confused:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lol apparently kiesel's next on gibson's nuisance suit list. they got a cease and desist letter over their single cut prs and backward rhoads v knockoffs
Wasn't 2019 one of the first years they had in like forever where people weren't out-and-out making GBS threads on their QC and whatnot since... I dunno, the early 00's or something? Like holy gently caress, Gibson, you're just getting over a dadgum bankruptcy, dig up.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Imagine spending all that time, energy and money to be an edgelord. Lol
To be fair, his poo poo ended up on the DOOM soundtrack, so if nothing else he’s apparently being edgy “correctly”.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kinda want to cut my arm off now
https://youtu.be/qSKBtEBRWi4

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't 2019 one of the first years they had in like forever where people weren't out-and-out making GBS threads on their QC and whatnot since... I dunno, the early 00's or something? Like holy gently caress, Gibson, you're just getting over a dadgum bankruptcy, dig up.

Gibson’s QC from around 2002-2008 (when I was playing and selling them) was such crap. Bad nuts, uneven fretwork, multiple guitars from factory with cracks or warped necks. I remember hearing our shop owner going on a rampage and smashing at least one LP Custom because it was unacceptable and Gibson was giving him crap about exchanging. I mean, he was known for that sorta nonsense towards Gibson (the shop was part of the early Ed Roman crew...), but if they weren’t taking their crappy guitars back, I can’t be too bemused.

If they finally got it back to good QC, only to immediately go and make nuisance suits...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Death Panel Czar posted:

To be fair, his poo poo ended up on the DOOM soundtrack, so if nothing else he’s apparently being edgy “correctly”.

I appreciate him embracing "wrong" concepts, though. Orthodoxy in music electronics is obscenely prevalent and has no business in the creation of art. Had some boomer amp tech gently caress tell me that ultralinear amplifiers are objectively un-musical (lol). I pointed to bazillions of successful bands who have crafted their sound around such amps and his response was "oh... huh. there's music like this?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slothful Bong posted:

Gibson’s QC from around 2002-2008 (when I was playing and selling them) was such crap. Bad nuts, uneven fretwork, multiple guitars from factory with cracks or warped necks. I remember hearing our shop owner going on a rampage and smashing at least one LP Custom because it was unacceptable and Gibson was giving him crap about exchanging. I mean, he was known for that sorta nonsense towards Gibson (the shop was part of the early Ed Roman crew...), but if they weren’t taking their crappy guitars back, I can’t be too bemused.

If they finally got it back to good QC, only to immediately go and make nuisance suits...
I remember getting (phone-posting so I'll check that in later if I can check my previous posts) one of the few old-rear end lefty LP Customs that had the lovely Silverburst painting that degraded with exposure to sunlight and it turned kinda green-ish. I don't know which year that one was it (it was probably pre 80's at least), but the three things that I remember about it were:
  1. It weighed A TON. Like even for a LP it was horribly loving heavy.
  2. It was a pain in the rear end to maintain.
  3. It had a really fun, "punchy"sound.
Also please keep in mind that 3 was never able to make up for 1 and 2 in both mine and my guitar-tech's books, so after a couple of tours, we just kept rolling with the Japanese and Korean ESP Eclipses that I had back then that had none of those problems. So even with 70's or 80's QC, Gibsons have always been a double-edged sword and a perpetual pain in the rear end.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gibson had several periods of putting out bad product, in fact their 70s/early 80s slump is what led henry juszkiewicz to buy them out in the first place

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
70s guitars are notorious for being heavy in general and Norlin Gibsons were one of the worst offenders.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

I remember getting (phone-posting so I'll check that in later if I can check my previous posts) one of the few old-rear end lefty LP Customs that had the lovely Silverburst painting that degraded with exposure to sunlight and it turned kinda green-ish. I don't know which year that one was it (it was probably pre 80's at least), but the three things that I remember about it were:
  1. It weighed A TON. Like even for a LP it was horribly loving heavy.
  2. It was a pain in the rear end to maintain.
  3. It had a really fun, "punchy"sound.
Also please keep in mind that 3 was never able to make up for 1 and 2 in both mine and my guitar-tech's books, so after a couple of tours, we just kept rolling with the Japanese and Korean ESP Eclipses that I had back then that had none of those problems. So even with 70's or 80's QC, Gibsons have always been a double-edged sword and a perpetual pain in the rear end.

Adam Jones of Tool plays those lovely early-'80s LP silverbursts specifically because of the finish, which he claims is the secret sauce in his tone. I don't believe it, but also he has a bunch of 'em and a pile of money and can say whatever he wants regarding his tone mojo I guess. I can get a reasonable enough facsimile of his tone with a lovely chambered Epi translucent LP and an EMG-81 and some modeling, so whatever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

musicians and major league baseball players are like god-tier dumb when it comes to how anything works at all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
$8k-$9k worth of meticulously engineered high gain amps all wired up in parallel
$3.5k-$4k worth of speaker cabinets
12 lb slug of mahogany with an ebony fretboard and specially wound pickups
Enough pedals to warrant a board the size of an office desktop

“it’s the paint”

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Count me as another person too chicken to buy anything Gibson because of the quality issues. I like the sound of an SG but eeeehhh at buying one especially sight unseen. Realistically I could just get the pickups and slam them into a kit or something but :effort:

And this week on it came from craigslist:

You really, really couldn't find a neutral background spot inside the house?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Adam Jones of Tool plays those lovely early-'80s LP silverbursts specifically because of the finish, which he claims is the secret sauce in his tone. I don't believe it, but also he has a bunch of 'em and a pile of money and can say whatever he wants regarding his tone mojo I guess. I can get a reasonable enough facsimile of his tone with a lovely chambered Epi translucent LP and an EMG-81 and some modeling, so whatever.

gibson had several periods of putting out bad product, in fact their 70s/early 80s slump is what led henry juszkiewicz to buy them out in the first place

Anime Reference posted:

70s guitars are notorious for being heavy in general and Norlin Gibsons were one of the worst offenders.
Probably it's on the archived version of the thread or on the New Gear purchases one, but whatever, I found this one:

Wark Say posted:

I will never get over my love/hate relationship with LP's. At the end of the day, though? I'm still glad I got 6k for my Faded Greenish-Silverburst LP Custom.
Literally the one good thing that came over from me making a stop on that ratty pawn shop over 15 years ago: Getting 6 grand for a lovely "Collector's Edition" Les Paul that was too loving cumbersome.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Now that I’ve replaced the pots, switch, jack, knobs, nut, pickups, tuners, rebalanced the weight, adjusted the truss rod, leveled/crowned the frets and intonated my Chinese SG... well she plays and sounds like a beaut!

Lol

Pictured with my new Blackhawk Uruk-Hai and a t-shirt for my friend’s bike shop.

Edit: I had intended to replace everything anyways and it was dirt cheap and looked cool with a set neck. Worth the gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like a cool bike shop