Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"She's from a much stranger, darker place."
"....the North?"

Edit: I guess the baby wasn't Ada then.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

"She's from a much stranger, darker place."
"....the North?"

Edit: I guess the baby wasn't Ada then.

*thunder clap*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Byron hiding behind Mary :allears:

Edit: Maxine Alderton has only written for Emmerdale and The Worst Witch before? Because so far this episode is really loving good (also I think the first not credited as co-written by Chibnall?)

A loving CYBERMAN!?! :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 16, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Byron hiding behind Mary :allears:

Edit: Maxine Alderton has only written for Emmerdale and The Worst Witch before? Because so far this episode is really loving good (also I think the first not credited as co-written by Chibnall?)

A loving CYBERMAN!?! :aaa:

Oh god of course Mary Shelley is gonna fight a cyberman. Obvious in hindsight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god of course Mary Shelley is gonna fight a cyberman. Obvious in hindsight.

She's been standing in the background as the Doctor mentioned "A zombie is a walking dead man" and "A body with parts replaced against its consent" :hmmyes:

Edit: Poor Fletcher :smith:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

More like Percy Dish Shelley

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Modern Prometheus", there it is!

Edit: Eat poo poo, Byron, ahaha

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 16, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a really, really good episode.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Finally an angry-doc speech from Whittaker! Thought it was cracking - maybe not on par with Colonel Runaway, but definitely a good'un.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I enjoyed that! Isnt cracking my top 5 episodes ever or anything, but I did very much enjoy it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Pretty good episode, and luckily "pretty good" is a massive leap in quality as far as this era goes. Thought it lost its momentum with some of the cyberman stuff at the end though, especially when it went all in on the technobabble and finale teasing. And I'm never a big fan of angry cybermen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was thinking that maybe the psychic paper didn't work because Shelley's filter was over-riding anything else, but then I realized it's far simpler (and funnier) if just getting wet was enough to make it fizzle out :)

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Really enjoyed that. Reminded me of Hide a lot, but with much better pacing so it didn't run out of steam halfway through.

I'm curious if the ghosts Graham saw will turn out to be relevant. It seemed too big a part of the episode to just be a "maybe magic is real after all!" moment.

Jerusalem posted:

I was thinking that maybe the psychic paper didn't work because Shelley's filter was over-riding anything else, but then I realized it's far simpler (and funnier) if just getting wet was enough to make it fizzle out :)

Didn't Shakespeare see through it too back in series 3? I assumed it was calling back to that, but it is funnier if it was just that getting wet broke it.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I loved seeing a bit of the Doctor's furious arrogance coming through in those final moments. It was one of my favourite aspects of Capaldi's whole 'difficult decisions' shtick.

Also, some genuinely tense and creepy moments here as well (baby being replaced by bones, Cyberman feigning human emotions before turning on Mary Shelley).

Basically, more of this whole episode please.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was pretty loving good. Also it looked gorgeous, standing out even in an era that I think is the best Who has ever looked.

I love the way the episode handled its cast, gave them all little bits of weirdness and characterisation despite basically being a huge loving cast. (Compare that with Praxeus, which did not manage that at all).

That Cyberman design was fantastic too. More of a body builder body type too, which I think worked. Massive shoulders work well on Cybermen. And the bit where the episode turned over the cliched "the person who is possessed is actually a decent human being after all" was pretty fun. Genuinely intimidating.

Gravastars posted:

Basically, more of this whole episode please.

You may just get your wish:

https://twitter.com/CompanionsOfWho/status/1229162548504735744/photo/1

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 17, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh nice, I was shocked by the resume being mostly Eastenders, this was really loving good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was ok.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

You may just get your wish:

Get in!!

It's also very telling that Chibnall's hands weren't all over this episode because it was well-paced and the resolution didn't feel rushed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that definitely felt like one of the best standalone episodes of Whitaker's tenure so far

especially her legitimately losing her temper at the end, a side we have only barely seen from her

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I appreciate that the episode can sort of be reconciled with Mary's Story due to time fuckery and the Doctor coming into it planning to just stay there for an hour but getting caught up in things when she noticed it was wrong. Also, did they use a wig similar to the 8th Doctor for Percy Shelley because it sure seemed like it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was fantastic, much like Fugitive of the Judoon where it seemed like a mundane episode at first but incorporated huge story elements.

I hope the Doctor had time to go back for the plume helmet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was really really good, like Ghost Light meets Utopia. The tension and performances were at their best of the era and the pacing actually worked.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

nthing the praise for this one, maybe the best of 13's run so far

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Emerson Cod posted:

I appreciate that the episode can sort of be reconciled with Mary's Story due to time fuckery and the Doctor coming into it planning to just stay there for an hour but getting caught up in things when she noticed it was wrong. Also, did they use a wig similar to the 8th Doctor for Percy Shelley because it sure seemed like it.

Was good, but I thought cybermen only had the brain, how come he had the full body inside?

Bit of an actual Shelley/Byron fanboy, so know a bit of the real history about them. Its a bit more juicy than what we saw here.
What we saw was more Pride & Prejudice oh MR DARCY!!!!! Like Byron not having a limp or clubbed foot.
The character Claire was actually smitten by Byron, and it was Byron that DUMPS her.
Well more ignore. She was pregnant around then and she tries to get back with Byron showing off the kid to him a year or two later.
He still doesn't take her back.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Cyber controllers have an obvious shown brain but how much is robotic in Cybermen has always varied.

Original Mondasian ones for instance seem to have much of the body intact under a robotic exoskeleton frame.

And we had Danny Pink who had a mostly intact face under his helm from Capaldi's run.

Some stories have a lore justification that the Cybermen, when strapped for resources, prioritize what they replace and will leave more organic components intact, at least until they have the resources for a complete conversion.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It was a good episode, but while I can appreciate that some people can say

Emerson Cod posted:

...I can't see it as anything other than Chibnall is not a fan of Big Finish and could care less about what he feels is non-canon spinoff fan fiction. I guess that's his perogative but it's a shame and very different from the last two showrunners. He probably views it as inferior "Wilderness Years" low quality emphemera like TARDIS Eruditorium did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Was good, but I thought cybermen only had the brain, how come he had the full body inside?

The Doctor mentioned that he was obviously not a completed conversion, and from stuff he said himself it sounded like he might have actually volunteered for conversion?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad this season of Doctor Who feels like it's building to something, anything.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mokinokaro posted:

Cyber controllers have an obvious shown brain but how much is robotic in Cybermen has always varied.

Original Mondasian ones for instance seem to have much of the body intact under a robotic exoskeleton frame.

And we had Danny Pink who had a mostly intact face under his helm from Capaldi's run.

Some stories have a lore justification that the Cybermen, when strapped for resources, prioritize what they replace and will leave more organic components intact, at least until they have the resources for a complete conversion.

And let's not forget the "sexy" half-clad Cyberwoman from that episode of Torchw----

...You know what, please let me forget that episode.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And let's not forget the "sexy" half-clad Cyberwoman from that episode of Torchw----

...You know what, please let me forget that episode.

You know who wrote that episode? THAT'S RIGHT,

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Edward Mass posted:

You know who wrote that episode? THAT'S RIGHT,

:psyduck: I've done as much as humanly possible to blot that abomination out of my head that I totally forgot that.

I'm not a Chibnall hater (not a huge fan, either, I'm pretty in the middle on it), but if I was on the Beeb's hiring team and someone plunked on the table "So, we need a new showrunner. You remember Cyberwoman?" and I saw that on the CV, I would've recoiled in horror as if I just got a resume handed to me done in finger-painted human feces.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Cyberwoman, but, yeah, it's not actually very good at all.

The insanity contained in that first season of Torchwood is beautiful to watch play out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair I'm pretty sure the BBC was going,"Holy poo poo wait the guy who wrote BROADCHURCH is one of our regular Who writers? Hire than son of a bitch!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Haunting of Villa Diodati gifs - click to view:

Just a really, really good episode :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 17, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like a bigger compliment than it being a good Thirteen episode (which I think there's been plenty of) is that this is a really good Cyberman story. And not only that, it's a really good last minute Cyberman story; that's basically unheard of, them turning up for the last act of a story when that story isn't about seeing Cyberman conversion almost always turns out total garbage.

I have to echo loving that for once, the person behind the incomplete conversion wasn't a good person in a bad situation. No, that guy's just a loving rear end in a top hat, a complete Cyber-conversion might've actually been an improvement in a lot of ways.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I feel like a bigger compliment than it being a good Thirteen episode (which I think there's been plenty of) is that this is a really good Cyberman story.

Two good Cybermen stories in a row, Britain isn't in the EU, everyone is really racist, have I been transported back to the 1960s?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I kept hearing about cybermen, I was worried that the episode would be poo poo because nearly every cybermen episode I've seen has been trash and the story of people using technology to improve themselves and then Oops All Cybermen is played out and boring now. The fact that they were able to make the cyberman actually be somewhat scary was pretty refreshing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cybermen are like Ninjas, the less there are, the more dangerous they are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That single Cyberman head in the Pandorica room trying to replace its rotted out organic component with a new human was genuinely terrifying. So Cybermen get even scarier the less of a SINGLE one there are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Graham's delight at finally getting lunch was A+