Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also in amaro chat I've been messing with this negroni variation that I made one day a few weeks ago when it was hot in NYC and I wanted a negroni but didn't have the ingredients on hand, because to me a negroni is a summer drink.

2 mezcal (Vida)
1 Ramazzotti
1 sweet vermouth (Carpano)

Stir, strain, serve over a big rock in an absinthe-rinsed glass. Orange twist garnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's a public holiday in the height of summer, so that means it's Camparty time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hell yeah brother it's a workday in the middle of winter right now for me but I have a few pilsners in the fridge so it's camparty time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hell yeah.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
he;ll yea

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

cptn_dr posted:

It's a public holiday in the height of summer, so that means it's Camparty time.

I'm having a carbonated Negroni right now

(it was leftover from a half and half carbonated Negroni/white lady recipe, they layer very well)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

it's camparty time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Probably gonna have another camparty tonight tbh.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Fuuuuck that looks good.

Is a camparty just campari and cheap beer lol? Defs gonna try that tonight

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Out of curiosity - has anyone here made their own bitters (or g&t tonic for that matter)? Care to share how worthwhile the project and final result seemed to you?

I found a (digital) olde-timey book with recipes for creating angorusta bitters, orange bitters etc. Alongside patent medicines (10-12 grains white arsenic + 12 grains opium gum + something else will cure intermittent convulsions doncha know) and 6000 other things. I suspect that cocktail-adjacent technology has probably evolved but seems like an interesting project... The bitters, not the opium-arsenic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made some lemon bitters once, it's very easy once I had purchased the ingredients, but flavor wasn't really what I wanted. If you're wanting them for personal use, buy them. If you want a sort of fun little project, go for it. It's literally just steeping poo poo in everclear for like a month.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

field balm posted:

Fuuuuck that looks good.

Is a camparty just campari and cheap beer lol? Defs gonna try that tonight

Hell yeah bro.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Last night I had it with Scrimshaw pilsner, which was much better, but Corona is all I have now.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scythe posted:

Also in amaro chat I've been messing with this negroni variation that I made one day a few weeks ago when it was hot in NYC and I wanted a negroni but didn't have the ingredients on hand, because to me a negroni is a summer drink.

2 mezcal (Vida)
1 Ramazzotti
1 sweet vermouth (Carpano)

Stir, strain, serve over a big rock in an absinthe-rinsed glass. Orange twist garnish.

Do yourself a favor and get something better than Vida, it's absolute trash. Carpano is a giant vanilla bomb - try Cocchi di Torino or Martini & Rossi Rubino

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
GOD yes. People make Negronis with Carpano Antica all the time and I am quietly infuriated by it -- too much vanilla! It doesn't make sense with gin! Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is a much more versatile sweet vermouth for the home cocktail enthusiast, plus it's more widely available and almost half the price. If you want to deviate from the classic sweet vermouth flavor profile in a way that still works in a Negroni I really like Casa Mariol. It's a Spanish vermouth that's heavy on black walnut. Available in liter bottles for, again, much less than Carpano Antica goes for. Plays nice with mezcal.

And to further echo MAKE NO BABBYS's opinions, Del Maguey Vida tastes like saliva. Blandly salty and unpleasantly palate-coating. Gracias a Dios or Banhez are better options for entry-level low-price-point mezcal.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Actually you need to double down on the bitter and use Punt e Mes (okay not all the time but sometimes).

I wonder just how much sweeter and less bitter Campari is than it used to be. Someday I’ll pay a zillion dollars to go to one of those silly bars here in Chicago with old bottles like the Milk Room or the Office at the Aviary. On the same note,, they sell the original Suze formula now and it makes modern Suze taste like sweet garbage in comparison

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prayer group posted:

Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is a much more versatile sweet vermouth for the home cocktail enthusiast, plus it's more widely available and almost half the price.
:hmmyes:

eSports Chaebol posted:

Actually you need to double down on the bitter and use Punt e Mes (okay not all the time but sometimes).
Hundreds of low-budget Italian movies can't be wrong!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

I wonder just how much sweeter and less bitter Campari is than it used to be. Someday I’ll pay a zillion dollars to go to one of those silly bars here in Chicago with old bottles like the Milk Room or the Office at the Aviary. On the same note,, they sell the original Suze formula now and it makes modern Suze taste like sweet garbage in comparison

I've had campari as old as the early 60s and it's basically the same.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Out of curiosity - has anyone here made their own bitters (or g&t tonic for that matter)? Care to share how worthwhile the project and final result seemed to you?

I found a (digital) olde-timey book with recipes for creating angorusta bitters, orange bitters etc. Alongside patent medicines (10-12 grains white arsenic + 12 grains opium gum + something else will cure intermittent convulsions doncha know) and 6000 other things. I suspect that cocktail-adjacent technology has probably evolved but seems like an interesting project... The bitters, not the opium-arsenic.

Yes and it's great! I did a bunch of small batches and then mixed and matched, it was fun and was a great gift. I also did tonic but you have to be very careful to both strain all the cinchona solids out AND not drink a bunch in one sitting and you can get cinchonism if you're not careful.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Last night I had it with Scrimshaw pilsner, which was much better, but Corona is all I have now.

*Scrimshaw Pilsner-style Ale

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I made some lemon bitters once, it's very easy once I had purchased the ingredients, but flavor wasn't really what I wanted. If you're wanting them for personal use, buy them. If you want a sort of fun little project, go for it. It's literally just steeping poo poo in everclear for like a month.

Carillon posted:

Yes and it's great! I did a bunch of small batches and then mixed and matched, it was fun and was a great gift. I also did tonic but you have to be very careful to both strain all the cinchona solids out AND not drink a bunch in one sitting and you can get cinchonism if you're not careful.

Thanks and thanks. I think I'll give it a go, I like to potter/tinker and I also like to forget about things.... Also thanks so much for mentioning cinchonism - I had been wondering why tonic was always mixed instead of being similar to a bitters/extract.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do yourself a favor and get something better than Vida, it's absolute trash. Carpano is a giant vanilla bomb - try Cocchi di Torino or Martini & Rossi Rubino

Totally agreed on Vida, I hadn't had a bottle in years and picked it up because it was cheapest at the hipster liquor store. I'm pretty much only drinking it in this, where its trashness is absorbed by the other two strong ingredients. It is not sippable straight. I had a bottle of Banhez right before this bottle and it was clearly much better.

That said, even though it is very 00s I will ride for Carpano. I agree it blasts the poo poo out of gin and therefore in the summer I'll keep something lighter on hand (Dolin usually; I've had the Cocchi but didn't find it memorable and it is the same price as Antica for me), but to me nothing makes a better manhattan/rob roy/bobby burns, and in the winter that's why I have sweet vermouth around.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I put a keg of carbonated water in my kegerator that had an empty tap, so I’ve been messing around with various “x and soda” combos.

I’ve got to say, if you want something extremely low in alcohol and calories a few shakes of either angostura or peychauds bitters in soda water is pretty damned good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, fee’s orange bitters in soda water is as good as any flavored seltzer, probably better tbh.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Gonna a try this tonight! I have winter melon bitters I'm gonna use

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Like a month ago I impulsively bought about four large tangelos because they looked good, and made a cordial out of them by zesting and juicing them, combining the zest with 200g of sugar and essentially making oleo saccharum, then adding 200g of the juice. Let it sit overnight and then strain with a French press or ideally a chinois but I don't own one of those.

I add about half an ounce to a bottle of Topo Chico and it is so drat good. Try it with any citrus you like.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I love oleosaccharums. I do an orange cream syrup with orange zest and Demerara sugar, then add vanilla. Super nostalgic. A lemon cordial with zest sugar and juice, great way to add sweetness and acidity, tastes like lemon sorbet. Do an orange zest and instead of water, dissolve the sugar with cold brew coffee. Fantastic stuff on its own, but then I also dilute maple syrup with peated scotch at equal parts, and then combine that with the orange-coffee syrup at equal parts. I would put it in my old fashioned or on my waffles

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Gonna a try this tonight! I have winter melon bitters I'm gonna use

That’s probably gonna turn out great.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

That’s probably gonna turn out great.

It didn't! It was bad!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Maestro posted:

I do an orange cream syrup with orange zest and Demerara sugar, then add vanilla. Super nostalgic.

This got me thinking. Has anyone ever made something like that but replaced some of the sugar with lactose powder? In beer it's used for both sweetness and a creamy mouthfeel, I wonder if it would do the same in a cocktail application. Shelf-stable creamy syrup with no dairy fat.

...Should I just buy a bag of lactose online and try this out?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ it's cheap and I've toyed with it in cocktails before, go nuts!

Ward 8 with pom syrup trip report: yum

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just made a blood orangecello with blood orange zest and some blood orange juice that I kept frozen while it was infusing. After getting the right balance of sweetness and strength, I have some infused vodka left over. I kept the zest, and I think I'm going to make an oleosaccharum with it so I can make a small bottle of orangecello sans juice.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I tried my hand at doing a vacpot cocktail. I don't have nearly all the ingredients on hand from any from the Aviary cocktail book but I tried to get an idea from their recipes. Here's what I went with:

2 1/2 oz Bombay Sapphire
1/2 oz Koval rose hip liqueur
1/2 oz Salers
1 oz simple syrup
1g citric acid

botanicals:
lemongrass tea
green cardamom
coriander
allspice
cinnamon
1/2 lemon peel
1 slice lemon

I let it infuse for about 2 minutes. The vacuum that formed only sucked about 90% of the liquid back down and the rest just dripped; I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about that.

The result was nice but quite a bit more tart than I would have liked. I should have omitted the lemon slice and maybe added or substituted orange peel. Also I think I need a much stronger tea to balance it out, maybe even a pu'er. It's still promising. The aroma was really great. I should try going much simpler too to see if I can highlight the botanicals more. Maybe even use vodka and do a quick "gin".

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but any recommendations for cocktail bars in Tokyo/Yokohama?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

field balm posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but any recommendations for cocktail bars in Tokyo/Yokohama?

You can try the Japan LAN thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707512&pagenumber=100&perpage=40

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

field balm posted:

The truly iconic ones from the 2010s cocktail Era are Star Bar, High Five, Tender bar, Gen Yamamoto and BenFiddich. I'm sure there's more but those are the big ones that got constant international recognition. High Five and Tender Being the most well known.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

The truly iconic ones from the 2010s cocktail Era are Star Bar, High Five, Tender bar, Gen Yamamoto and BenFiddich. I'm sure there's more but those are the big ones that got constant international recognition. High Five and Tender Being the most well known.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've heard of tender!

...from the Yakuza video games

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Bar Benfiddich is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Benfiddich is one of the best things I’ve ever done on any vacation. Show up at opening and sit at the bar and drink as long as you can without falling over, then go get some yakitori or tonkatsu (tonchinkan, nearby, was old school and great) or something to recharge before round 2 at a record bar.

High Five was 100% tourists and bad drinks and Tender was dead when I tried them though.

If you’re going other places in Japan, the best drinks I had on my last trip were at Rocking Chair in Kyoto and Lamp in Nara, bizarrely.