Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)

really good, but there is still jank and while it advertises itself as being more open, there's still quite a bit of extremely on rails stuff. like the first two games, the best parts are still when it goes completely hands off and leaves you on your own--there is quite a bit of that in exodus but be aware that it's far from the whole game

if your experience with 2033 is the original version and not the redux then you can expect exodus to feel more modern though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best part of metro 2033 was when you meet and evade the baddies and are escaping into the sewers. It's just level after level for an hour and change with no narration, no friendly or guide npc's, just you and Artyom's journal board compass thing and the game.

Edit: then metro last light was like ok let's do that again but check this out, horrible spider monsters

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 16, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CJacobs posted:

The best part of metro 2033 was when you meet and evade the baddies and are escaping into the sewers. It's just level after level for an hour and change with no narration, no friendly or guide npc's, just you and Artyom's journal board compass thing and the game.
I don't think that was ever a thing in Metro 2033. There's barely a single level, much less several, where you don't have company. Certainly every "escape" is with the help of a friendly NPC.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You know something I love about 2033? When you group up with the elite badass team in preparation for the final push, their shop is just... free. They don't sell you poo poo, they just load you up

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the extremely low trophy percentages on kentucky route zero are bumming me out

The final episode is out now? I've had that game wishlisted for so long

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SirSamVimes posted:

You know something I love about 2033? When you group up with the elite badass team in preparation for the final push, their shop is just... free. They don't sell you poo poo, they just load you up

And then in Last Light you can just pick weapons in the very first level and it gives you a gun range to test them out. There is even an achievement ("Veteran") if you pick 3 weapons that use different types of ammo at that point.

You end up losing your weapons early on, but it is the thought that counts!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 16, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cardiovorax posted:

Going from personal experience, they care very much and express it by vigorous pecking. In a chicken's mind, it is still a very tiny dinosaur.

They are correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwy4X4F3mB4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

yesssssss

I don't play it in fullscreen mode - windowed mode has been working perfectly for me!

life is perfect and beautiful they're so adorable

That's Crysis? The birds are a bit more low-poly than what we're used to these days, but those environments still look decent even now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mierenneuker posted:

You end up losing your weapons early on, but it is the thought that counts!
Not if you're playing on the hardest difficulty.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Xander77 posted:

Not if you're playing on the hardest difficulty.

Elaborate? Its been years and I can barely remember anything from Metro

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

It is possible to retrieve Artyom's weapons that he picked in the Sparta level, but only during Ranger Difficulties. The weapons can be found after reaching the guard post, on the periodic table of elements on the wall. However, the guns are empty of all ammunition.

Huh.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

That's Crysis? The birds are a bit more low-poly than what we're used to these days, but those environments still look decent even now.

Crysis was so graphically ahead of its time it’s almost comical. The game still looks pretty goddamn great. My vague memory says that it STILL doesn’t run that well because of how power has progressed VS what they anticipated, but it was a staggeringly good-looking game when it came out. And the first 60% or so of it is really, really fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pathos posted:

Crysis was so graphically ahead of its time it’s almost comical. The game still looks pretty goddamn great. My vague memory says that it STILL doesn’t run that well because of how power has progressed VS what they anticipated, but it was a staggeringly good-looking game when it came out. And the first 60% or so of it is really, really fun.

It’s not well designed for multi-core at all, is my understanding. It was designed when high-end gaming stuff was still a lot of single cores and dual cores were just starting to take over. If you told people in 2007 that in 2020 we’d be buying computers with 4.6GHz clock speeds for gaming, they’d be pretty underwhelmed. Thing is, those processors are running 4.6GHz on 8 cores.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not well designed for multi-core at all, is my understanding. It was designed when high-end gaming stuff was still a lot of single cores and dual cores were just starting to take over. If you told people in 2007 that in 2020 we’d be buying computers with 4.6GHz clock speeds for gaming, they’d be pretty underwhelmed. Thing is, those processors are running 4.6GHz on 8 cores.
Pretty much. It's a problem a lot of CPU-intensive older software has. Multi-core use and parallelization is something you specifically have to design for from the engine level up and anything that isn't will either not even recognize multi-core systems or, if it can, be fairly unable to really use them for much of anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I own Cryostasis on my Steam account. I should reinstall it at some point to see how terribly it runs. It’s a timeless benchmarking tool really!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What happened anyway, did processor makers reach some limit of physics?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

What happened anyway, did processor makers reach some limit of physics

They actually did. Electrical leakage and heat buildup are way harder to control when you’re working at the sizes of modern transistors.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We've been approaching various limits of physics with the current technology. We know ways to push semiconductors further, but we easily hit the point where if it's possible for your workload to go wide, it's cheaper and more efficient. PC CPUs are sort of a sideshow, especially at this point the real driving forces behind semiconductor technology are mobile/embedded and servers/big compute, both of which care more about production cost and power efficiency than they do about scaling frequency on a single core.

e - it's also worth pointing out that performance at a given frequency has gone way up since Crysis's release. It's just a game that is very prone to bottlenecking in certain ways.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 16, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I own Cryostasis on my Steam account. I should reinstall it at some point to see how terribly it runs. It’s a timeless benchmarking tool really!

I actually tried playing through it last month; it ran fine at first, but 3-ish hours in, I was getting crash upon crash. No amount of settings switching-around seemed to fix it.

It's a shame too, because it's a decent game otherwise.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ciaphas posted:

What happened anyway, did processor makers reach some limit of physics?

To get a transistor to switch, you need to apply a certain voltage. If you want it to switch faster, i.e. more times per second, you need to increase the "pressure" of the electrons, i.e. the voltage.

Increasing voltage increases the amount of heat you generate and as transistors get smaller and smaller, it also makes it much more likely for leakage currents to flow.

Transistors simply aren't switching much faster than in the past and that limits frequency.

And for multicore systems there's a really annoying property of games: They are often inherently serial. You shoot the nastyman, the bullet does its damage, nastyman plays death animation. That's a series of events that depend on each other and must run in order. Causality is the death of parallel problem solving.

All the easy things have been multithreaded for years: Tell a texture loader to load a texture in the background and call back once it has finished, or parcel out the game world into large squares and farm them out to worker threads to simulate, just take care at the edges of your squares or your game explores.

Also, multithreading non-trivial things is brain-breakingly complicated and inherently hard to reason about.

And that's why things have plateaued quite a lot in recent years.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

:honk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:honk: :dice:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man I heard game awards were a joke but I didn't realize things were this dire.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I played twenty or thirty minutes of Goose Game on switch and didn’t get the appeal at all. Then again, I was playing on my Switch so it wasn’t really the ideal setup.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's just kind of charming to mess around in, I suppose. It's not really a game, per se, it's more of a very finely detailed toy. The sheer variety of ways in which you can mess with people and the way they will react to what you do is just... cute, I suppose. In a very Schadenfreude kind of way.

I don't think I would call it the best game of the year, but I would call it a very impressively detailed labour of love for certain. Also, it has the most realistic goose animations I've ever seen in a video game. Seriously, it's like they mo-capped the drat thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

To get a transistor to switch, you need to apply a certain voltage. If you want it to switch faster, i.e. more times per second, you need to increase the "pressure" of the electrons, i.e. the voltage.

Increasing voltage increases the amount of heat you generate and as transistors get smaller and smaller, it also makes it much more likely for leakage currents to flow.

Transistors simply aren't switching much faster than in the past and that limits frequency.

And for multicore systems there's a really annoying property of games: They are often inherently serial. You shoot the nastyman, the bullet does its damage, nastyman plays death animation. That's a series of events that depend on each other and must run in order. Causality is the death of parallel problem solving.

All the easy things have been multithreaded for years: Tell a texture loader to load a texture in the background and call back once it has finished, or parcel out the game world into large squares and farm them out to worker threads to simulate, just take care at the edges of your squares or your game explores.

Also, multithreading non-trivial things is brain-breakingly complicated and inherently hard to reason about.

And that's why things have plateaued quite a lot in recent years.

Didn't know that about processors! Haven't thought about it in years despite being a software dev :eng99:

I do understand how much trying to multithread fucks everything up in normal-rear end business or scientific software, though; I can easily see it being about a billion times worse in this context

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

[ask] me about winCE 6.0 development and only having re-entrant mutexes for concurrency control structures :suicide:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

really good, but there is still jank and while it advertises itself as being more open, there's still quite a bit of extremely on rails stuff. like the first two games, the best parts are still when it goes completely hands off and leaves you on your own--there is quite a bit of that in exodus but be aware that it's far from the whole game

You're not kidding.

I'm getting the exact same startup bugs that were present in the Windows/Xbox for PC version.

As in the intro cutscene plays and your controls are unresponsive, so you can't skip it. Then it hangs on the splash screen and doesn't even let you get into the settings.

Edit: Seems like i'm in now and it's a bit smoother than the Windows one. Changing the settings seems to have helped. Though, guess we'll see if it has the same save eating bug that the Windows version had (presumably not though if it has steam cloud).

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody played Simulacra 2? I saw some of Geek Remix’s LP and it seemed pretty cool, definitely a way more interesting concept than the spoopy haunted cell phone of the first game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

K8.0 posted:

We've been approaching various limits of physics with the current technology. We know ways to push semiconductors further, but we easily hit the point where if it's possible for your workload to go wide, it's cheaper and more efficient. PC CPUs are sort of a sideshow, especially at this point the real driving forces behind semiconductor technology are mobile/embedded and servers/big compute, both of which care more about production cost and power efficiency than they do about scaling frequency on a single core.

e - it's also worth pointing out that performance at a given frequency has gone way up since Crysis's release. It's just a game that is very prone to bottlenecking in certain ways.
Is it true that increasing the clock speeds with current computers give diminishing returns? Was it decided that adding more cores would increase performance a whole lot more during the last decade?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Omi no Kami posted:

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)

I enjoyed my playthrough when it released, but I felt it was too short. For reference I almost never finish the storyline in games, and I was ready to keep playing Metro for double the time it lasted. I tried to start over and play with a different style, but gave up pretty quick, just not much replay potential there IMO.

Having said that, since it is 40% off (or was a day or so ago), I would say that it's worth it. I did enjoy it a lot for the brief time it took me to finish.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it true that increasing the clock speeds with current computers give diminishing returns? Was it decided that adding more cores would increase performance a whole lot more during the last decade?
It's not that increasing clock speeds would give diminishing returns - faster calculations are always better than slower ones. It's that with the physics of electronical CPUs being what they are, we've pretty much reached the limit of how small you can make a given computer core before it stops working correctly. For example, strictly speaking, the hard limit for a single integrated circuit is circuitry a single atom wide. The problem is that we just can't properly control the flow of electrons along those circuits anymore long before we actually get there.

Parallelization, on the other hand, is (as has been mentioned) difficult to work with and only really works well for certain problems. For others, which tend to be some of the most processing-intensive ones, it does nothing to really benefit you at all. So after a certain point, more cores are starting to become less and less useful in terms of improving the performance of a system.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Even if we come up with some breakthrough that lets us control those electron flows, we'll still be limited by the fact that information can't move faster than light.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can't really increase speeds too much because of what's been mentioned, but you can like throw twice as many cores in there and double the amount of work you can potentially do

The trouble is to make use of lots of cores (unless you're multitasking so they're just getting used by the system anyway for a generally better experience) you have to be doing multithreading. You can do that on a single core as an organisational thing, but you get the performance boost when those threads are running on separate cores instead of taking turns on the same one

The analogy I like is that single threading is like you're one person working on a project in an office. You have tasks to do, and you do each one in order, completing them as you go

That can be a bit limiting, so single-core multithreading is where you can have several tasks on the go at once - you're only one person, so you can only do one thing at a time, but by jumping between tasks you can get stuff done that another task will need later, start a thing you'll be waiting on a while, that kind of thing. This takes a bit more planning so you have everything ready when it needs to be done, and you don't want one task to interfere with something you're doing for another task

Having several cores is like that, except you have more than one person working in the office doing those tasks. It's faster! And also requires more coordination and care because people working in the same space with the same resources might screw up things other people are doing, or not communicate stuff that's happened. All this extra work means you really need to think about how to organise all your tasks, how to pass information between workers, where you need to insert some slow bureaucracy to ensure stuff is communicated without slowing everything down (cores don't necessarily see the same stored data unless you make them check, good times)

So basically multicore stuff has a lot of potential to be faster, but you have to work to make it happen, it can add a lot of complexity, and for most stuff you're probably not maxing out that potential anyway (plus games have to happen in real time, so you can't really risk farming out too much work in case you miss your deadlines, you need to leave some breathing room - it's not like video rendering where you just throw it all in and let it chug as fast as possible)

man this is gonna be another long post isn't it

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

baka kaba posted:

So basically multicore stuff has a lot of potential to be faster, but you have to work to make it happen, it can add a lot of complexity, and for most stuff you're probably not maxing out that potential anyway
Yes, that's another problem that contributes to the dimishing returns of additional cores. All those extra cores also incur an extra overhead in terms of other electronics that are required to coordinate them and to transmit all the input and output they require and produce. It's the other reason why supercomputers are always so big - organizing the flow of all that piecemeal data to actually get a usable result out of it is almost as much of a challenge as just making fast hardware in the first place.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Locator posted:

I enjoyed my playthrough when it released, but I felt it was too short. For reference I almost never finish the storyline in games, and I was ready to keep playing Metro for double the time it lasted. I tried to start over and play with a different style, but gave up pretty quick, just not much replay potential there IMO.

Having said that, since it is 40% off (or was a day or so ago), I would say that it's worth it. I did enjoy it a lot for the brief time it took me to finish.

How-ish long was it? The internet says 15-40 hours, and I'd totally be onboard for a long-rear end Metro game but I'm worried it'll turn out to be more, like, 10-15 1-hour hallways.

Oh yeah, and does it extensively feature that thing where you're straight-up just following an NPC from checkpoint to checkpoint? That's what specifically has been driving me nuts in 2033- the story and setting are fun, but I just want these goobers to be quiet and let me explore a new area at my own pace.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Omi no Kami posted:

How-ish long was it? The internet says 15-40 hours, and I'd totally be onboard for a long-rear end Metro game but I'm worried it'll turn out to be more, like, 10-15 1-hour hallways.

Oh yeah, and does it extensively feature that thing where you're straight-up just following an NPC from checkpoint to checkpoint? That's what specifically has been driving me nuts in 2033- the story and setting are fun, but I just want these goobers to be quiet and let me explore a new area at my own pace.

Epic has my playtime at 22 hours so probably 20-25ish hours if you don't blaze through it. There are some follow these assholes for 30 minutes segments but a lot of it is either openish map segments with multiple objectives and hidden gear that sort of thing or linear levels that you can do at your own pace, a good comparison imo would be the modern Tomb Raider games.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hub Cat posted:

Epic has my playtime at 22 hours so probably 20-25ish hours if you don't blaze through it. There are some follow these assholes for 30 minutes segments but a lot of it is either openish map segments with multiple objectives and hidden gear that sort of thing or linear levels that you can do at your own pace, a good comparison imo would be the modern Tomb Raider games.

Okay that's awesome, I'll definitely either yoink it in the current sale or wait for it to hit 75% off during a seasonal sale- thanks!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Omi no Kami posted:

There are some 1-hour corridors but there are also open areas that let you wander around and set your own pace. And one area that's seemingly open but functionally a corridor, but you still kinda control your pace.

One level gives you a car to drive around if you want an idea of how open it is (and you'll want to use the car).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This is a largely petty issue, but does anybody else have this problem where Steam doesn't align itself properly in fullscreen? It snaps back together if I go windowed and touch the resize edges. Just kind of strange!