Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's that then? I assume from context it is similar to stardew, so I look forward to giving the runes gifts and romancing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Rune Factory 4 is kinda like Stardew but more action-RPGish and with the anime dial turned to eleven.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In case anyone in this thread cares and didn't know, Rune Factory 4 remake for Switch drops on the 25th. I didn't know they finally had a drat date for it. Up for preorder on the eshop and everything.

:neckbeard:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's that then? I assume from context it is similar to stardew, so I look forward to giving the runes gifts and romancing them

It has a terminal case of anime poisoning. If you're willing to overlook that (or even enjoy it), then the game is quite fun.

It has a few different interesting systems:

Farming is set up where each crop can be leveled up, and selling either the leveled up seeds or crop unlocks higher level seeds in the store, so once you sell a level 3 turnip, all future seeds bought are level 3. In addition, each plot of land passively levels up when you harvest crops from it, and you can apply chemicals to the land to boost stats on a temporary basis. All of that is getting into the weeds though - you can easily get by by just planting crops, watering crops, and harvesting crops. Once you get stuff up and running, you can be getting fields that grow crops at something silly like a 5x multiplier to speed and harvest renewable crops every day.

Speaking of watering crops, you can tame just about any monster in the game, up to and including most bosses. Monsters can help out on the farm and will do things like clear debris and water crops. In addition, there are some cool things you can do with monsters - most items have an effect when put into an item (Def+2, Poison on hit 4%, +stats, etc.). When you feed a monster an item, it gains permanent bonuses to its stats based on what you feed it, and yes, you can feed it things that boost its crit% or let it do status effects on hit. Again, you really don't have to do it, but once you know it exists, it's fun to play with monsters. You can also mount monsters to ride them around and use their attacks, and there are some tactics you can use to get through areas at much lower levels than you should be by boosting up monster stats and using some specific equipment.

Crafting, as alluded to above, is also really interesting. Early game crafting is a bit lame and tends to be stuff like small boosts to stats, but starting in the early-mid game you get access to status effect upgrades, upgrades that increase weapon range, and a variety of other interesting effects (there are some really neat items too, like items that reverse the effects of upgrading something, or that make then next upgrade count 8 times). You can even do fun things with the tools, like attach magnifying glasses to them to monitor soil quality, or attaching certain fish to your fishing pole to raise the chance of catching that fish or rare things in general. Upgraded watering cans can basically water half of a field in one full charge, which endgame basically means that you finish your watering in a few seconds.

All of the crafting is in service to the combat, and combat is how the story progresses, which in turn unlocks more areas (each area has a field that is permanently in one of the four seasons and one or more dungeons). It also gets you access to new monsters, who give you new materials, which lets you upgrade your tools and weapons, which lets you go to the next dungeon... There's also an infinite dungeon available, with level scaling, and you can even turn that into a boss rush if you so desire.
Combat is pretty fun too! You have access to a number of different weapons, and you have special moves for each weapon type that are equipped like magic spells (magic is made up of a bunch of different elements and each element has unique types of spells - water is laser beams, fire is fireballs, etc.). The kicker is that each weapon can use every other special move type, so you can do shenanigans like equip a spear and use a spinning tornado punching move to hit a wider area of enemies (and with the crafting system, you can increase your melee reach, which means you can clear a whole room if you want...).

There's some good quality of life stuff too - you gain quick access to teleporting over most of the pretty expansive map, so getting to any one area is only about 30-45 seconds of running, and teleporting home is pretty much instant. There is a request system from a mailbox, and that gives you a pretty stead drip-feed of quests to do to advance the story and get to know the characters. It's similar to the message board in Stardew, except that the non-repeatable quests are much more useful to complete and that the message board is literally right outside your front door. The farm is right outside your back door, and the teleporter is right outside the back door of the farm (and you can build/buy more teleporter access points so that you can put one right next to where your personal teleport spell places you).

Despite all of the anime (and some of the characters are questionable, to say the least), the gameplay is solid, and even though I finished the game thoroughly on the 3DS, I am going to buy it on the Switch and will probably finish it again. It's also very much a numbers go up so that more numbers can go up game. There are skills for just about everything, and every skill up gives you a tiny boost, which triggers that little bit of pleasure when you get random skill ups for doing different tasks. The core gameplay loop of getting the stuff to get the stuff to get more stuff to get the stuff to get more stuff is fun and lasts for a very long time before you hit the endgame, and even once you hit the endgame, it's fun to try to figure out how you specifically want to build your weapons/armor/accessories so that you'll enjoy them the most.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm definitely the only person to play this game to break into Molly Malone when foraging on the beach, aren't I?

I used to think the 99 gold gun in Prairie King was just a tease that wasn't possible to attain. Not true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNo6C4jK_Tc

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Rune Factory 4 is very anime, yes, but one of the really nice things about it is the sheer amount of dialogue. I talked to everyone every day and I think it took me nearly an in-game year before I saw a line repeat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Despite all of the anime (and some of the characters are questionable, to say the least), the gameplay is solid, and even though I finished the game thoroughly on the 3DS, I am going to buy it on the Switch and will probably finish it again.
This post is good, confirming it's anime as gently caress, but it's also just good. Got solid gameplay loops and wacky villagers (even if some of them are too-anime wacky) and all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What season has your favorite music and if it's not winter, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-PHm_qLgg

This is such a chill, great song and I get very :3: every time it plays.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Because it's summer and The Sun Can Bend an Orange Sky is better, IMO. Winter has the Night Market though, and I love that tune.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm more about fall. Specifically, Raven's Descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOmc35hlhU

I think I'm done with my file! Completed the museum legitimately for the first time (1.4 makes it much easier) and got all the in-game achievements. loving prehistoric scapula, man.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats one of my least favorites, c'mon. When I have a bar in my hose the saloon theme will be playing there forever, alternating with One Bourbon, One Scotch. Only for gf gets up before me and wakes me up for work, the main theme would be my alarm right now so I couldn't get up grumpy. Loading screen will be playing in my kids crib when we have one. Summer/natures crescendo is great too, kinda Sonic vibe from that.

Can you believe one guy did all this poo poo?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Poque posted:

I think I'm done with my file! Completed the museum legitimately for the first time (1.4 makes it much easier) and got all the in-game achievements. loving prehistoric scapula, man.

I've gotten the closest ever with my current farm, but I don't like the layout of the hilltop map and I'm finding it hard to get motivated to keep chugging along with the artifacts.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Fall music is best. Fall is the best season in the game so it makes sense it’d have the best tunes

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

codo27 posted:

Can you believe one guy did all this poo poo?

It did take literal years of that one person's work, both before and after release.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
CA has a team now post-release (one of whom occasionally posts itt)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Casu Marzu posted:

I've gotten the closest ever with my current farm, but I don't like the layout of the hilltop map and I'm finding it hard to get motivated to keep chugging along with the artifacts.

You can switch farm maps. I just did it. You keep all your stuff unless you happen to have built them where a lake or something is in your new map.

Although in a lot of ways I find the early game the most engaging.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LLSix posted:

You can switch farm maps. I just did it. You keep all your stuff unless you happen to have built them where a lake or something is in your new map.

Although in a lot of ways I find the early game the most engaging.

Being able to swap maps is a PC mod right? I'm on switch, unfortunately.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Casu Marzu posted:

Being able to swap maps is a PC mod right? I'm on switch, unfortunately.

Yeah. You have to be able to edit your save file. Sorry.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

best music is winter - but the mines winter levels, not your pissant real winter

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pretty much every song in the Mines is really great, atmospheric, love that poo poo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The jams with howls in them are sick and I always look forward to hitting those levels of the Mines

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
So how come you can hook up with Krobus but not Sandy?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mr. Prokosch posted:

So how come you can hook up with Krobus but not Sandy?

it's what the people demanded

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poque posted:

I'm more about fall. Specifically, Raven's Descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOmc35hlhU
Yeah that's definitely the best tune.

Poque posted:

congrats, got a last picture of your farm to share?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

TurnipFritter posted:

it's what the people demanded

and rightly so

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I rescued Penny from the trailer park to the rich lesbian farmers lifestyle and I was getting pissy she wasn't doing anything to help around the place but then she fixed all the fences and I found her playing hide and seek with the ducks :3:

Now I just need a poo poo load of money to buy a decent sword so I don't get my rear end kicked after 5 levels in the skull cavern.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GotLag posted:

Yeah that's definitely the best tune.

congrats, got a last picture of your farm to share?

Not too much different from the last one I shared, but I got my fields full of Ancient Fruit and threw up a third awkward shed to house more preserves jars and kegs. I could definitely keep going for more money but I've accomplished everything on my many checklists.

I can definitively say that Krobus is the best "spouse" by far. Never gets jealous, always positive, loves his downtime, is super adorable. Gives me Lucky Lunches pretty frequently!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Which farm layout is that one? Also it is super clean. I fell into the trap of MOAR KEGS on my first playthrough at the cost of aesthetics. Makes a ton of money but ultimately looks like a factory.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Four Corners MP map it looks like

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah, did a single player on Four Corners to test it out and really liked it. I know I have a lot of wasted space for the stone roads (which took freaking forever) but I was going for design over utility. Aesthetics are their own reward.

I really shoulda dumped all my rain totems to get an in-game screenshot with Krobus on the porch under his cute (modded) umbrella :)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Fall music is best. Fall is the best season in the game so it makes sense it’d have the best tunes

Fall is the best month and has the best tunes with Raven’s Descent, the Smell of Mushrooms, and Ghost Synth. All three are tied for best and I listen to them a lot. I think I’d put Ghost Synth first, but I like all the songs on the soundtrack. I have a playlist that removes all the songs that don’t work for me that I listen to while I write.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tropicala is my favourite song (love that bassline, similar for Nature's Crescendo) but I feel like Spring has my favourite soundtrack overall. Love how optimistic and adventurous it feels.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I was losing my poo poo about that melon for the bundle. YOU ONLY NEED 3/4 CROPS FOR THAT poo poo. gently caress. And I already had tons of pumpkins. Crisis averted

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Nature's Crescendo has been my favorite Stardew tune since I first heard it. Hits the summer vibes just perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nqXeM-sns

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's a very nice tune, good for running out of the house with a watering can to. But not as good as Stillness In The Rain in my opinion. :swoon:

codo27 posted:

So I was losing my poo poo about that melon for the bundle. YOU ONLY NEED 3/4 CROPS FOR THAT poo poo. gently caress. And I already had tons of pumpkins. Crisis averted
Sounds very familiar. I managed to screw up the parsnips myself.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

I rescued Penny from the trailer park to the rich lesbian farmers lifestyle and I was getting pissy she wasn't doing anything to help around the place but then she fixed all the fences and I found her playing hide and seek with the ducks :3:

Now I just need a poo poo load of money to buy a decent sword so I don't get my rear end kicked after 5 levels in the skull cavern.

b.. buy a sword?

someone needs to brush up on their dwarfish imo

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

quoting due to equal bafflement.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbh if I am ever unlucky on finding a weapon and the obsidian edge isn't cutting it, I just buy the lava katana. 25k is nothing.

Although you could spend that on 25 mega bombs instead...

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
There is a good time to buy a weapon and it's after level 40 in the mines when the Wood Mallet unlocks. You won't get a "good" free weapon until Obsidian edge on lvl 90 and the Mallet's special multi-hit will clear every monster in a generous radius.

Unless you're the lucky type and get a good weapon drop or Neptune's Glaive before floor 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The real play is to just grind out the insect head sword before you leave the copper mines.