Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I forgot why this tangent started. What’s the actual purpose of the ozone producing machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Don't smoke, eat healthy and exercise, agitate for workers rights in your country so sick people can rest at home, agitate for science based policies and mandatory vaccinations, and accept that you will never fully sanitize your environment. The only real defense at the end of the day is your immune system. Keep it healthy.

I'm doing this but then I read about cytokine storms and how your immune system can kill you with over activity from the flu.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I forgot why this tangent started. What’s the actual purpose of the ozone producing machine?

To get bitches.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Page before last. MightySwine mentioned he had an "industrial ozone generator" and the logic going around is that because ozone has a deactivating effect on some viruses under specific conditions.

Just so happens that in order to be effective against those viruses, you have to run it at significantly higher levels than can be considered safe. EPA says 0.05ppm, so what's that, 50ppb? And he's trying to hit 100x that in his bathroom.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sterilization

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving fat load of good it would do. China started sterilizing cash.

https://qz.com/1803255/china-is-disinfecting-banknotes-to-stop-spread-of-coronavirus/

quote:

As the Chinese government continues its effort to slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus, the country’s central bank at a press conference today (Feb. 15) told media it was going to begin literally cleaning its currency.

It’s an extreme move that makes sense. Whether it’s dollars, pounds, euros, shekels, or in this case yuan, currency is notoriously dirty. A 2017 study of $1 bills in New York found some 397 bacterial species living on the surface. And when someone with the flu handles it, that virus has been shown to survive for up to 12 days.

The bills in your pocket are gonna give you the superflu.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Page before last. MightySwine mentioned he had an "industrial ozone generator" and the logic going around is that because ozone has a deactivating effect on some viruses under specific conditions.

Just so happens that in order to be effective against those viruses, you have to run it at significantly higher levels than can be considered safe. EPA says 0.05ppm, so what's that, 50ppb? And he's trying to hit 100x that in his bathroom.

He's literally poisoning himself in an attempt to prevent getting sick from viruses.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm doing this but then I read about cytokine storms and how your immune system can kill you with over activity from the flu.

To get bitches.

I forgot to add, just do what you can, but remember we will never defeat nature. You may very well die from disease, just like billions of people before you. Don't let it get you down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ehhh, not so much poisoning himself. Ozone in the neighborhood of 5ppm is just going to tear up your lungs and throat and make you more susceptible to contracting something. Also probably give you a cough and permanent damage to your lungs if you're around it too long. It's not going to replace all the oxygen in the room, just add another molecule to some of it.

My father had some of these machines 20 years ago. He'd run two of them in a 1000 sq ft apartment the last year and change I lived with him. Did it for years after I left, might still, we don't talk because he's a loving idiot (seriously, any pyramid or get rich quick scheme is his bag). Anyhow, he's not around it all the time, using old machines and never replacing or cleaning the electrolysis plates. Drives a truck, so he's catching cancer the old fashioned way. Off diesel exhaust fumes.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Colonel Cancer posted:

Can't die from no coronavirus if something else kills you first!

You can't fire me... cause I quit. :smug:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Was just doin a poo in an international toilet and my knob head touched the seat. Am i done? Is this it? What a way to go out

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

toggle posted:

Was just doin a poo in an international toilet and my knob head touched the seat. Am i done? Is this it? What a way to go out

You should be fine so long as you don't put it in your mouth.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

https://qz.com/1803255/china-is-disinfecting-banknotes-to-stop-spread-of-coronavirus/

Living in Denmark, I can't recall the last time I touched or even saw physical money. It's completely relegated to something grandparents give on birthdays.

And drug deals, I guess.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We Are All Gonna Die: international toilet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

69.420 cases already

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

toggle posted:

As long as you quarantine your dick for 2 weeks you should be fine.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Money laundering with Chinese characteristics.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Holy poo poo Dollar Flu is real.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my inevitable death is probably going to be quite comical because when i have a chest infection i go "COUGH COUGH *choke* oyyyyy~" like krusty the klown

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China is already a cashless society for everyday business. You don't need to carry any cash in your pocket if you are not going out on a road trip.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Instead of ozone you should fill your apartment with chlorine gas, it's much more effective

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
millennials are killing the ozone industry

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Tormented posted:

Holy poo poo Dollar Flu is real.

having been in wet markets and watching my aunt hand over relatively clean bills just for the butcher to get it covered in meat water and hands back crumpled soiled notes, then proceeds to touch more meat, is a sight to behold

she keeps a plastic bag in her purse for the specific purposes of recieving blood covered change

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

stephenthinkpad posted:

China is already a cashless society for everyday business. You don't need to carry any cash in your pocket if you are not going out on a road trip.

Street food tastes better when you use old ripped notes tho.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

Street food tastes better when you use old ripped notes tho.

How you been to china recently? Street food vvendos rarely have changes if you hand out a 20 rmb note. Even if they have the change they say they don't to make you pay thru wechat or alipay.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Lol even government offices won't give you change. When I first moved and didn't have WeChat set up I had to pay for some bureaucratic whatever and the lady at the CASH DESK pitched a fit at me for trying to pay her in cash.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MightySwine posted:

5 ppm does exceed public health standards. The best numbers I can find are from this paper. They killed 90-99% airborne viruses with similar concentration.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786820600796590

I'm concerned that UV only gets clothing from one angle and doesn't penetrate into the fibres/folds.

However, UV of right wavelength is very effective at destroying ozone. What if I put a UV lamp outside of my "ozone room" door to stand guard?

lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Booty Pageant posted:

having been in wet markets and watching my aunt hand over relatively clean bills just for the butcher to get it covered in meat water and hands back crumpled soiled notes, then proceeds to touch more meat, is a sight to behold

she keeps a plastic bag in her purse for the specific purposes of recieving blood covered change

Do I want to know what "meat water" is?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Phone started bitching about the charging port being busted so instead of paying 80bux to fix it I got a new one because even if Wuhan flu doesn't kill us all it's at least gonna make poo poo from China more expensive for a while.

Now I'm torn between getting the old one fixed and selling it now for maybe a hundo or so profit or hanging on to it for a few months and making a killing on it when someone drops their phone in a toilet or something and then drops his jaw on the floor when he sees that a decent phone costs a crapload more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Do I want to know what "meat water" is?

Mostly plasma, same stuff that leaks out when you cut into a steak

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Hadlock posted:

Mostly plasma, same stuff that leaks out when you cut into a steak

You wish.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Meat water is delicious. Try a tall warm glass someday. Even better if it’s surf and turf.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Someone from the Ministry of Health in Japan who was helping with the cruise ship got infected (this is a new one)

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200217/k10012288721000.html

Per Google Translate,

quote:

On the 11th of this month, the staff had been working on traffic control for removing the patient from the ship for about 10 minutes, but at this time they were more than 2 meters away and did not contact the patient.

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, they worked on board from November 11 to 15, but there were no close contacts of passengers or crew.

To date, one quarantine officer has been infected on the cruise ship, and only two MHLW employees have been confirmed infected.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare says, "It is necessary to reconsider measures to prevent infection of employees. We would like to investigate behaviors before onset in more detail."

Also if you remember the taxi driver one, he was on a houseboat at a taxi driver party and there was also a nurse there who got sick and infected a doctor.

Here is another new case, a patient was transferred through and infected a nurse.

Meanwhile, Beijing reported one new case today.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 17, 2020

Seriously 2.0
May 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Are we dead yet? This poo poo is taking forever.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
There was a toilet paper robbery in Hong Kong recently. They stole like $140 worth of TP. Gotta stock up!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Seriously 2.0 posted:

Are we dead yet? This poo poo is taking forever.

Spanish flu took 9 months for the biggest section of the outbreak iirc

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

bones 4 beginners posted:

There was a toilet paper robbery in Hong Kong recently. They stole like $140 worth of TP. Gotta stock up!!!

If you're gonna do that, you've got to cover your windows. Otherwise you end up with people breaking quarantine to ask you for TP with their pants around their ankles, and you just *know* they haven't washed their hands before knocking.
loving amateur hour.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Mozi posted:

Also if you remember the taxi driver one, he was on a houseboat at a taxi driver party.

This seems like the perfect storm to infect a city.
Almost too perfect... I mean, who have ever heard of a taxi driver party before.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

bones 4 beginners posted:

What am I looking at, here?

Seriously 2.0
May 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Spanish flu took 9 months for the biggest section of the outbreak iirc

I know, I'm being very impatient. But it's just, can't one of these apocalypses finally get going soon? They seem like all such big teases, promising us all sweet salvation from hellworld. But it just never seems to come.

Be honest with me: are we already dead & in hell? This wait is torturous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

What am I looking at, here?

A picture of an apartment filled to the brim with toilet paper taken from a higher apartment window?