Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
isn't the Tsuru a really good way to die in an accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

From skimming GIS, the car looks like a terrible way to die in an accident imo

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is this an Si?

http://imgur.com/a/CA5dhdN

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I posted this in another AI thread, but I figure I'll ask here too..

Co-worker is selling a 2013 Outback. The car is super clean and test drove fine (straight, no squeals and CVT drives nice actually).

Problems are it is listed as having "structural damage" on the Carfax. He said it was just the fender that got replaced. FWIW the Carfax doesn't note an accident, but it also doesn't note if any physical repairs were done. All other maintenance was done at the dealership.

The other problem (he didn't tell me), is that the car shows up as being stolen then recovered last month. I don't know if this was intentionally undisclosed or if Carfax has incorrect info. I looked up the VIN on the National Crime Bureau site (https://www.nicb.org/vincheck) and it doesn't show up there. I'm waiting for him to get back to me..

The problem I have is I'm having trouble walking away due to these issues. The car looks fantastic and drives perfect. I imagine a PPI could uncover anything, but I'm a bit afraid of future resale value. The reason why I'm still considering the car is because it's being offered at 9k (80k miles), so the issues feel priced in already. Are my emotions taking over and am I making a bad decision by thinking about buying this thing?

I figure I could find a similar model without these issues, but I'd be looking at spending a bit more (12k).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you got pictures of the accident and an estimate and invoice from the body shop? if your coworker can't produce those you better bail. if it's truly just a fender and the car was straight, I wouldn't worry too much. if you don't know how to interpret the estimate and invoice just post it here or in the AI chat thread and one of the collision repair gang will help you.

But: if you're worried about future resale all that strongly I don't think you should go goofing around with cars with bad Carfax histories. any buyer is gonna do exactly what you are doing - look at the Carfax and then discount the car by $X. If you buy this car you should plan to drive it down to the $2k floor, at which point ain't nobody give a gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wearing Si wheels and a Si lip spoiler in a Si-available color so I'm guessing yes unless it's the world's lamest human being.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll probably die painfully, so I dunno about good.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you got pictures of the accident and an estimate and invoice from the body shop? if your coworker can't produce those you better bail. if it's truly just a fender and the car was straight, I wouldn't worry too much. if you don't know how to interpret the estimate and invoice just post it here or in the AI chat thread and one of the collision repair gang will help you.

But: if you're worried about future resale all that strongly I don't think you should go goofing around with cars with bad Carfax histories. any buyer is gonna do exactly what you are doing - look at the Carfax and then discount the car by $X. If you buy this car you should plan to drive it down to the $2k floor, at which point ain't nobody give a gently caress.

Thanks! I'll probably end up passing on this then. He claims he doesn't remember much of the accident which I thought was weird. Every time I hit something or got hit, I've had it engrained in my memory forever as it's so rattling.

The only reason I'm thinking about an upgrade is for safety features (my 2005 Pilot doesn't have side air bags..). Doesn't seem like the greatest idea to buy a car with a questionable history to replace it with though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

uhh yeah so he either got a concussion (possible in some low speed stuff but unlikely; probably means accident was worse than he implies) or is full of poo poo (always possible) so i'd bail.

I have a collision background - so I know what I'm looking for in large part - and I would consider buying a vehicle (as a relatively modern daily driver, this poo poo don't apply to 1979 RX-7s and poo poo) that was in a decent hit if I had the following:
1) pictures of the accident in excruciating detail
2) any estimates and supplements
3) invoices and proof of payment
4) repair in process pictures
5) print out from a bench and laser measurement
6) I know the shop or it's local to me and I can go shake hands and walk the floor

if you don't know what this stuff is or you don't know how to get it or you don't know how to interpret it don't go fuckin around with crashed cars

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah I think he's just bullshitting me. He came clean regarding it being stolen, which literally happened 2 weeks ago, which I guess is the reason his wife told him to sell the car. I guess someone was able to grab the fob code (a la fobrob) and somehow hotwire the thing or used some ECU trickery.

A long time ago I was helping my BIL buy a car and we saw this Mazda6 that was pristine. Found out much later that it was salvaged due to some crazy accident and all the airbags deployed. It was loving nuts and I was glad I found out and stopped him from buying it. The guy had a photo album of all the work done to it. It was clearly high quality work, but if he had disclosed it upfront we wouldn't have wasted our time.

I guess that's the only way to sell these kinds of cars, just pray the buyer doesn't ask and don't disclose. I didn't think a coworker would do that, but can't trust anyone nowadays.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so, i lived in asia for a while and really fell in love with those microtrucks they've got over there. now that i'm watching trailer park boys, i see how much fun bubbles has with his lil microtruck, so I'm curious if there's anything even like that available in America?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so, i lived in asia for a while and really fell in love with those microtrucks they've got over there. now that i'm watching trailer park boys, i see how much fun bubbles has with his lil microtruck, so I'm curious if there's anything even like that available in America?

I think you might find this thread useful: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(mad, gleeful cackling)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This place already has imported them for you:

https://www.duncanimports.com/shop-new-and-used-mini-truck-inventory-sale.htm

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bank posted:

Yeah I think he's just bullshitting me. He came clean regarding it being stolen, which literally happened 2 weeks ago, which I guess is the reason his wife told him to sell the car. I guess someone was able to grab the fob code (a la fobrob) and somehow hotwire the thing or used some ECU trickery.

A long time ago I was helping my BIL buy a car and we saw this Mazda6 that was pristine. Found out much later that it was salvaged due to some crazy accident and all the airbags deployed. It was loving nuts and I was glad I found out and stopped him from buying it. The guy had a photo album of all the work done to it. It was clearly high quality work, but if he had disclosed it upfront we wouldn't have wasted our time.

I guess that's the only way to sell these kinds of cars, just pray the buyer doesn't ask and don't disclose. I didn't think a coworker would do that, but can't trust anyone nowadays.

The thing I always say about the before and after photos of salvage cars is how do you know when the “before” photos were taken? They could do quite a bit of half assed (or worse) work and cover it up with body panels, take a bunch of pictures and then proclaim these are the “before” pictures and “I don’t know why the insurance company totaled it! There wasn’t that much damage! What a deal!”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

please don't drive a 25-year-ruled kei truck on US roads, I don't want you to die

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The thing I always say about the before and after photos of salvage cars is how do you know when the “before” photos were taken? They could do quite a bit of half assed (or worse) work and cover it up with body panels, take a bunch of pictures and then proclaim these are the “before” pictures and “I don’t know why the insurance company totaled it! There wasn’t that much damage! What a deal!”

you want pictures that are clearly taken AT the scene of the accident; I mean you can always commit fraud if you're super motivated but that's usually pretty decent. you also want insurance co photos since they have no incentive to cover up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please don't drive a 25-year-ruled kei truck on US roads, I don't want you to die

LITTLE PUTTPUTT GO ZOOM AND THOU SHANT'S STOP ME

no but seriously i have exactly 3 milk crates of vinyl records i need to move into my new apartment, which is a converted schoolbus trapped in the branches of a massive camphor tree and nothing else will get past the Spirit Guardians.

edit-
bubbles, inspecting my new truck: deee-cent! you drop a new carburator in that lusty whore 'n she'll treat ya right for least a 'nother decade, i bet
me, rolling a six paper joint: hell yeah buddy. you wanna load her up with juice boxes and go down to the playground, talk to the kids about the importance of spaying and neutering their pets?
bubbles, his mouth creasing downwards in a huge smile: you, hah! you bet your best bippy i do!

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 14, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I drove one of those imported Mitsubishi four-wheel drive k vans on a country road and holy poo poo, most terrible driving experience I've ever had. A two-door Geo tracker felt more planted and stable. Gusts of wind were rocking that little van with reckless abandon. The guy who owned it basically used it to get around his own 60 acres of forest roads, and I can see how it would be great for that. But actually using it as a car, hell no

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if a modern car touches you, you will die

upside: will probably be quick

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just a random thing but man do I hate how a bunch of dealerships have NO HAGGLE SIMPLY BEST PRICE nowadays.

Like I know the "super real for sure" list price is bunko, guys.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Proposed Budget: 16,000 is the absolute max
New or Used: No real preference, though I guess used would open up a lot more possibilites
Body Style: I was thinking a hatchback or something similiar, just something that has more space than my current car (96 Civic).
How will you be using the car?: Mostly as a daily driver, though I do plan on taking a road trip once or twice a year.
What aspects are most important to you?: Most important thing to me is reliability. I would also like something with a bit of space, as I plan on moving in Autumn, and I'd like to be able to carry my valuables and important things with me, as opposed to trusting it to a moving truck.

While I'm asking, is there a general consensus on things like Carvana? I live in a rural area, so I don't have a lot of choices when it comes to dealships and what they have available. Failing that, how's Carmax?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Proposed Budget: 30k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Don't have a strong preference
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (urban/city commute) and a few road trips to national parks each year
What aspects are most important to you? Gas efficiency, safety, low cost of ownership/reliability, good tech/audio system

My beloved 04 Acura TL is nearing 150k miles and the radio recently died, needs a new set of tires and mechanic recommended sparkplugs in the near future. I'd like to replace it with something similar but significantly better on gas. Acuras current hybrid options look underwhelming so what's my best option?

McKracken fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 16, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

McKracken posted:

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (urban/city commute) and a few road trips to national parks each year
What aspects are most important to you? Gas efficiency, safety, low cost of ownership/reliability, good tech/audio system

My beloved 04 Acura TL is nearing 150k miles and the radio recently died, needs a new set of tires and mechanic recommended sparkplugs in the near future. I'd like to replace it with something similar but significantly better on gas. Acuras current hybrid options look underwhelming so what's my best option?

Aside from the radio, those are just routine consumables, and a TL with 150k has lots of life left. You mention being underwhelmed with the hybrids - why is that? The J32 in the TL is capable of producing almost 200 kW, any typical hybrid is gonna seem gutless comparatively. But looking for something better on gas is necessarily gonna mean less powerful engines generally. Is it something else that underwhelmed you about them?

The RLX would be the comparable car in the segment but it's not a whole lot better on gas despite being a hybrid, because it still has packs a 3.5L V6. It will be an pretty much straight improvement over the TL tho.

Assuming you dont want a Prius or the like?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

McKracken posted:

So, mechanically, does your car only need tires and spark plugs? I'm guessing tires are about $500, spark plugs will be about $100, and replacing the radio would be ~$100, ~$200 if you have someone else do it. You can spend more and get something with CarPlay if you would like.

If you want a new car, that's fine, but these don't seem like something to replace the car over for what's essentially 2 - 3 car payments.

Have you looked at a new Civic or Accord? They'd be the newer versions of what you have already.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mariooncrack posted:

So, mechanically, does your car only need tires and spark plugs? I'm guessing tires are about $500, spark plugs will be about $100, and replacing the radio would be ~$100, ~$200 if you have someone else do it. You can spend more and get something with CarPlay if you would like.

If you want a new car, that's fine, but these don't seem like something to replace the car over for what's essentially 2 - 3 car payments.

Have you looked at a new Civic or Accord? They'd be the newer versions of what you have already.
Just gonna say if the TL has an automatic, they should sell it now before that thing costs a few grand. If manual, keep it forever.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
More info for the responses:

It is the TL with automatic transmission.

Mechanically the car is fine other than things I've mentioned but because it's nearing 17 years in age a lot of other smaller things have failed.

The upholstery on the top of the cabin has come undone, the entire navigation/touchscreen/audio system is out, heated seats no longer work, the rear view mirror can't go into night mode, dashboard has started to crack apart...

Between all of that and recently moving to a more urban area I'd just like to sell the TL and get something better on gas but a little more sporty/less boring than a Prius. I've driven a friend's Prius before and I know the TL isn't anything to brag about, but the Prius felt totally lifeless.

E: Underwhelmed specifically about the gas efficiency/price ratio for the RLX compared to the Lexus 300 which I imagine runs on a similar platform as the other Toyota hybrids. I realize it's a V6 vs a 4 cylinder but that's more of what I was looking for.

I don't need a luxury badge but I definitely want something with a good audio/entertainment system.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2020

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Have you considered a Mazda 6? I personally haven't driven one but hear they are fun. Mazda has been hurting in the sedan world too, so I imagine you can get a pretty good deal on one.

MSRP on a Grand Touring is just under 30k which gets you 31MPG, 250HP and 310 torque. Pretty sure they come with Carplay and Android Auto nowadays too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

McKracken posted:

More info for the responses:

It is the TL with automatic transmission.

Mechanically the car is fine other than things I've mentioned but because it's nearing 17 years in age a lot of other smaller things have failed.

The upholstery on the top of the cabin has come undone, the entire navigation/touchscreen/audio system is out, heated seats no longer work, the rear view mirror can't go into night mode, dashboard has started to crack apart...

Between all of that and recently moving to a more urban area I'd just like to sell the TL and get something better on gas but a little more sporty/less boring than a Prius. I've driven a friend's Prius before and I know the TL isn't anything to brag about, but the Prius felt totally lifeless.

E: Underwhelmed specifically about the gas efficiency/price ratio for the RLX compared to the Lexus 300 which I imagine runs on a similar platform as the other Toyota hybrids. I realize it's a V6 vs a 4 cylinder but that's more of what I was looking for.

I don't need a luxury badge but I definitely want something with a good audio/entertainment system.

IMO, compared to economy cars the TL is no slouch, it's always been competitive with its class power wise and it has some enthusiast cred.

You want more sporty than your TL, which it looks like has 270HP? Your budget is pretty high and you can get something dramatically nicer, if that's something you're looking to commit to finances wise. Have you considered German?

$30k means you can get something new enough that most major reliability issues have been iterated out. That does not mean cost of ownership will be as low as a TL, the Japanese makes are still the best in the business for stellar reliability and low repair costs. Check out a BMW 3 series or Audi A4 from 1 or 2 years used to see if it butters your biscuit.

Also check out the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 if you still want a sedan. That way you could go brand new under budget.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 17, 2020

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Coupe, 4-door Sedan, Hatchback, basically anything non-truck/SUV, unfortunately I am too tall for a miata to be comfortable with the roof up and I want it to be drivable in winter too, right-hand-drive is totally fine
How will you be using the car?: Something gofast, it's not going to be a daily driver, it'll be more like a once-a-week driver. Basically for when I don't want to drive the Forester, and it'd be nice if it was a serviceable backup car
What aspects are most important to you? Relatively cheap on parts for maintenance. I'm a half-decent shadetree mechanic, but I don't want to pay German parts money when things inevitably break. Also, I want something with a decent enough infotainment system that I can just drop a USB drive or SD card into. Or old enough that it'll be an easy head unit swap. I also really want it to be a stick, driving an automatic every day kind of disconnects me.

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Corvette

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Corvette

Hmm. Somehow I never actually considered a corvette, I was mostly looking pony cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean it matches up. More interior room than a Miata, fast, significant availability with a manual transmission. Parts are relatively inexpensive and DIY serviceability is good for the C5 and C6 generations, both of which should exist in your price range.

C5 would be cheaper and probably easier to swap a more modern head unit into (I don't recall how tied-in the C6 head unit is to the rest of the car), but the interior is... bad. Still worth test driving, especially if you can somehow find a clean-enough C5 Z06 in your budget. I've driven an '06 C6 Z51 with the automatic, and an '03 C5 Z06 with the manual. The cars would probably be neck and neck around most racetracks, and the C6 interior is vastly better, but the C5 was far more fun. I think the stick had a lot to do with it.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 17, 2020

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Sold my C5 Z06 a couple years ago when we had twins. Man I miss that car. Only issues I really had were power door locks and window regulators. The interior is cheap GM so I always felt I had to be careful using anything inside, other than the pedals wheel and stick of course. I think the stereo was a 1.5 dim.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Body Style: 4-door Sedan, Coupe, Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Mostly daily driver. Short commute. Should compliment the Outback we own that we use for our mountain adventures. Basically a city (LA) car.
What aspects are most important to you? Roomy interior (I'm 6'3"), cheap parts/TCOO, adaptive cruise would be amazing, decent mpg, something that feels/looks like a "nice" car but is definitely not a luxury brand, automatic. Things I'm already considering are Altimas, Sonatas, Accords, Camrys... please add more to this list and help me figure out which is right!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

khysanth posted:

How will you be using the car?: Mostly daily driver. Short commute. Should compliment the Outback we own that we use for our mountain adventures. Basically a city (LA) car.
What aspects are most important to you? Roomy interior (I'm 6'3"), cheap parts/TCOO, adaptive cruise would be amazing, decent mpg, something that feels/looks like a "nice" car but is definitely not a luxury brand, automatic. Things I'm already considering are Altimas, Sonatas, Accords, Camrys... please add more to this list and help me figure out which is right!

Prius? LA means traffic, and the Prii are perfect for it. Boring as gently caress, but reliable.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean it matches up. More interior room than a Miata, fast, significant availability with a manual transmission. Parts are relatively inexpensive and DIY serviceability is good for the C5 and C6 generations, both of which should exist in your price range.

C5 would be cheaper and probably easier to swap a more modern head unit into (I don't recall how tied-in the C6 head unit is to the rest of the car), but the interior is... bad. Still worth test driving, especially if you can somehow find a clean-enough C5 Z06 in your budget. I've driven an '06 C6 Z51 with the automatic, and an '03 C5 Z06 with the manual. The cars would probably be neck and neck around most racetracks, and the C6 interior is vastly better, but the C5 was far more fun. I think the stick had a lot to do with it.

Awesome. I think I have a good line on a C5, too. The only problem is that it's in Michigan with all the salt that implies. Gonna have to test drive one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Proposed Budget: ~35k, loosely. Cheaper is better. Variable though, if it gets us what we want.
New or Used: Used preferably, but will consider new under the right circumstances.
Body Style: 4-door with 3rd row seating.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 30 mi round-trip commute to work, plus ferrying kids around to sports practices and games. Our other car is a 16 Subaru WRX, which is the "I only need to shuttle a couple kids around at a time" or the "take a day trip to Tahoe" car.
What aspects are most important to you?
- Roomy interior. I have 5 kids: 3 (10-14yo), and 11-month twins. So we need more legroom for the bigger kids, but need space for baby seats as well.
- Trunk space. From brief google research, our Odyssey has pretty decent-sized trunk space vs Suburban/Yukon/etc and can easily fit the double-baby jogger with all 5 kids. Extra cargo space is currently limited with our baby crap, but we have a Thule rooftop box for either kids or cargo. This is fairly important since we pack half the drat house for trips out of town.
- Gas mileage, since it'll be mom's daily work driver. The Odyssey is probably around 15-18mpg at this point, so almost anything is an improvement.
- 4WD/AWD. We live in Sacramento, so a few trips to Tahoe through the snow per year are standard. I'll probably buy a spare set of wheels and throw winter tires on them.
- Lower in priority, but we definitely want something with Bluetooth (preferably Apple CarPlay) and a backup camera. I assume this stuff is pretty standard nowadays though. I have the mechanical ability to replace the head unit if needed, but would be cool for the factory head unit to not suck rear end from the factory. I realize this is probably a tall loving order. I went through the PITA process of swapping head units in the WRX since the Starlink stuff is loving garbage.
- Lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot indicators are cool. I'm the only one who will use the former 2, but my wife likes the blind spot indicators.

I do as much of the maintenance myself to save money, which makes me hate Hondas since the few of them I've worked on have stuff in the dumbest locations (oil filters, headlight bulbs that need tiny baby hands to manipulate, etc). Seriously why is it so hard to not put the oil filter in a dumbass spot that dumps oil all over the frame of the car and my garage floor?

Anyway, we're not opposed to another Odyssey since the trunk space is pretty large (from google: 38.4 ft³, 147.4 ft³ with seat area) compared to Suburbans (39.3 ft³, 121.7 ft³ with seat area), especially if we don't bring the whole gang somewhere and can flip the 3rd row down. The only thing that sucks is the kids who sit in the 3rd row have to either climb over the cargo in the trunk, or climb over the second row of seats (2 buckets with baby seats, plus the middle seat where an older kid usually has to sit). I loving hate minivans, but I do love the side-sliding doors and not having to worry about kids banging car doors against someone's Tesla.

Yukons seem hilariously overpriced and Suburbans more reasonable.
We're open to all suggestions, including a tank or an old H1 with mounted 50 cal. Or a clown car.

Now that I'm typing this up, maybe it's worth considering just getting something a bit smaller, and just taking 2 cars to places?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

khysanth posted:

The most important thing for you to do is to sit in the cars on your list to see if you're comfortable.

My suggestions would be a Ford Fusion Hybrid or Fusion Energi (2014 to present), the latter of which is a plug-in hybrid. If that's too big for you, perhaps a last-gen Mazda 3 (2013 to 2018) would be a good option.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Proposed Budget: ~35k, loosely. Cheaper is better. Variable though, if it gets us what we want.
New or Used: Used preferably, but will consider new under the right circumstances.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 30 mi round-trip commute to work, plus ferrying kids around to sports practices and games. Our other car is a 16 Subaru WRX, which is the "I only need to shuttle a couple kids around at a time" or the "take a day trip to Tahoe" car.
- Roomy interior. I have 5 kids: 3 (10-14yo), and 11-month twins. So we need more legroom for the bigger kids, but need space for baby seats as well.
- Trunk space. From brief google research, our Odyssey has pretty decent-sized trunk space vs Suburban/Yukon/etc and can easily fit the double-baby jogger with all 5 kids. Extra cargo space is currently limited with our baby crap, but we have a Thule rooftop box for either kids or cargo. This is fairly important since we pack half the drat house for trips out of town.
- Gas mileage, since it'll be mom's daily work driver. The Odyssey is probably around 15-18mpg at this point, so almost anything is an improvement.
- 4WD/AWD. We live in Sacramento, so a few trips to Tahoe through the snow per year are standard. I'll probably buy a spare set of wheels and throw winter tires on them.
- Lower in priority, but we definitely want something with Bluetooth (preferably Apple CarPlay) and a backup camera. I assume this stuff is pretty standard nowadays though. I have the mechanical ability to replace the head unit if needed, but would be cool for the factory head unit to not suck rear end from the factory. I realize this is probably a tall loving order. I went through the PITA process of swapping head units in the WRX since the Starlink stuff is loving garbage.
- Lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot indicators are cool. I'm the only one who will use the former 2, but my wife likes the blind spot indicators.

I do as much of the maintenance myself to save money, which makes me hate Hondas since the few of them I've worked on have stuff in the dumbest locations (oil filters, headlight bulbs that need tiny baby hands to manipulate, etc). Seriously why is it so hard to not put the oil filter in a dumbass spot that dumps oil all over the frame of the car and my garage floor?

Anyway, we're not opposed to another Odyssey since the trunk space is pretty large (from google: 38.4 ft³, 147.4 ft³ with seat area) compared to Suburbans (39.3 ft³, 121.7 ft³ with seat area), especially if we don't bring the whole gang somewhere and can flip the 3rd row down. The only thing that sucks is the kids who sit in the 3rd row have to either climb over the cargo in the trunk, or climb over the second row of seats (2 buckets with baby seats, plus the middle seat where an older kid usually has to sit). I loving hate minivans, but I do love the side-sliding doors and not having to worry about kids banging car doors against someone's Tesla.

We're open to all suggestions, including a tank or an old H1 with mounted 50 cal. Or a clown car.

Now that I'm typing this up, maybe it's worth considering just getting something a bit smaller, and just taking 2 cars to places?

If you can find one that isn't a former rental, a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica can be had for $25-30K. A 2018 will have CarPlay, and first-year production bugs worked out. Chrysler has also announced an AWD Pacifica for the 2021MY if you're willing to wait, and that could sneak into the top end of your budget.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Starlink sucks, this is true. It depends on how much you hate it, though. It DOES have Carplay/Android Auto, though. A used Subaru Ascent ticks basically all of those boxes- new is probably just outside what your pricerange is. On the bright side the oil filter is on top of the engine, so that's always nice!

Whatever you do, you should probably not do this. Especially if you ever hope to take a family trip, having two people doing the driving would be hell on fatigue for longer trips since you can't very well swap on and off.

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SolusLunes posted:

Whatever you do, you should probably not do this. Especially if you ever hope to take a family trip, having two people doing the driving would be hell on fatigue for longer trips since you can't very well swap on and off.

This. I've done a 800 mile push (NOLA -> Greensboro, NC) in one day with 2 cars and there was no way we could have done that without the ability to swap among 4 drivers. I've also done early morning starts to the snow where I thought I was perfectly fine to drive but an hour into the drive I realized there was no way I could continue and needed my partner to swap, or driving LA->SF and needing to swap for the last 2 hours. I can't imagine trying to do this as a solo driver with kids in the car