Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I got mine (Coolio-Gangsta's Paradise) in part because the mall record store covered the parental advisory sticker with their price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

kittenmittons posted:

Where were y'all when you got your first rap album.

50 Cent in middle school. I waited in the car so my mom went to buy it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

My sister gave me her CDs and it had Bone Thugs’ 1999 Eternal in it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paperback Writer posted:

My sister gave me her CDs and it had Bone Thugs’ 1999 Eternal in it.

GOAT

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pretty sure mine was Eminem's Slim Shady LP

For not letting me watch South Park my parents were not strict at all regarding music...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine was the clean version of The Marshall Mathers LP when I was like 10 lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ATLiens

Bunch of children in this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was 13 or 14 and bought It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back after getting really into the song She Watch Channel Zero.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Pretty sure mine was Eminem's Slim Shady LP

For not letting me watch South Park my parents were not strict at all regarding music...

I think it might have been this? I think this came out my junior or senior year of high school. I admittedly didn't directly listen to a ton of rap when I was younger.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

ATLiens

honestly i'm pretty proud that 10 year old me saw the Slim Shady LP and was like "yeahhhhhhh"

remember having to bump it on my 4 CD changer stereo at low volume so my parents wouldn't hear it lol

p sure my dad drove me to buy the album too? :psyduck:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

kittenmittons posted:

I got mine (Coolio-Gangsta's Paradise) in part because the mall record store covered the parental advisory sticker with their price tag.

My mom bought me the single for Gangsta's Paradise as my first hip-hop / rap record when I was 8 years old because she also really liked the song. Thanks Mom! I think the first full album I got was The Score by The Fugees pretty shortly after that and remember that really being the door into hip-hop for me.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Run DMC Raising Hell

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

tjones posted:

The Diary up to Balls and My Word is such an amazing run of albums. It's honestly impressive.

I just started The Diary before I read this! Like...really listening. Not like it was when the kids were asleep and the wife was out and I was doing housework. Having a good set of Bluetooth earbuds is really enabling me to listen harder with the kids around.

kittenmittons posted:

poo poo wasn't allowed in my house, parents were hardcore anti-rap. Hell, I was too growing up, until I listened on Spotify. My first physical rap albums were for Father's Day last year - my wife got me Stoney and beerbongs and bentleys.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

There might have been something before, but the first one I was obsessed with was Wu-Tang 36 Chambers. Back then I mostly listened to metal and industrial. I got a method man shirt that said "got meth?" and my mom destroyed it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dre 2001 is one of the first, also 1999 eternal. Then Marshall mathers LP and I was hooked, gently caress Staind

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I grew up in an evangelical christian household so I'm pretty sure it was dcTalk's Jesus Freak :v:

oh god, so bad

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Not counting the tape of Kriss Kross's Totally Krossed Out in 3rd grade, my first actual rap cd was E. 1999 Eternal

Kenshin posted:

I grew up in an evangelical christian household so I'm pretty sure it was dcTalk's Jesus Freak :v:

oh god, so bad

My super religious sister wore that poo poo out, I feel your pain

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

If i am not mistaken, Ice Cube's The Predator was my first owned rap album which I bought after RATM got me interested in people furiously talking over music

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
When we moved away from NY to Jersey I became a latchkey kid and I had strict parents so I was listening to some real bubblegum poppy poo poo, and then a friend from school brought over Ready to Die by BIG and we played it on my dad's sound system (he DJ'ed for extra cash) and I fell in love RIGHT away.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 16, 2020

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Klaaz posted:

If i am not mistaken, Ice Cube's The Predator was my first owned rap album which I bought after RATM got me interested in people furiously talking over music

This brings up something I've noticed in contemporary rap music. It seems like rappers these days are trying to sing as much as they talk. I think that's what I like about early '90s poo poo is that they're more talking than singing. Is it just me?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

highme posted:

Run DMC Raising Hell

Nice try, Sparky.

Probably Sugarhill Gang if 12” singles don’t count.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

The edited version because the only place I could buy music was Walmart. True facts

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
2001 by Dr Dre

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My older sisters got Fugees - The Score thinking it was a Lauryn Hill r&b album based off the radio singles. They ended up giving it to me because it was full of rap songs.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEEoaKwwxbg

The beat and polo g are extra nice

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

kittenmittons posted:

Tower Records. It was Tougher than Leather. I was 6. That's unless you count my dubbed copy of Licensed to Ill from my brother.

edit: I seem to be in the top 3 of oldness

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fye in like 01-02. Got used The Infamous, The Chronic, and Illmatic.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Thinking back, my brothers got me into Def Jux around 01. Then Wu-Tang then Atmosphere then this and that w 50 Cent or whatever might have been around at the time... Honestly, Jeezy and Three 6 Mafia from 2005/2006 put me on the path where I’m at now.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Crumbletron posted:

2001 by Dr Dre

The seedy new/used cd place at the mall sold it to me despite the fact I was 13 years old.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Klaaz posted:

If RATM counts, mine was probably The Battle of Los Angeles at age 9, although I had Weird Al CDs with rap parodies like Amish Paradise before that lmao

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Willenium for Christmas '99. Marshall Mathers LP the following year.

The next album I remember getting was Gorillaz's eponymous in summer 2001 but I got Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket at the same time. I ended up being a rock kid until getting back into hip hop with the Beastie Boys and Q-Tip around 2009.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Mine was the clean version of The Marshall Mathers LP when I was like 10 lol

I remember seeing my name is on a public access music video show and being blown away. I would have been in high school and a goth at the time.

probably the first stuff I bought was Aesop rock and other def jux stuff

edit: RIP to my massive cd binder of industrial music and half the def jux catalog that was stolen along with my stereo in West Philly.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My dad worked in advertising. As a 7/8 year old boy, I loved going into the office on weekends with him. He’d catch up on work and I’d post up in the art room which had more markers and paper than I’d ever seen in my life. His art director would hang in there with me and work on stuff. He’d play music. One day he played Kool Moe Dee’s “Wild Wild West” for me and it must have hit a switch in my brain. He could tell how much i loved it, and gave me his cassette tape copy of How Ya Like Me Now. I wonder if he knows he made me a rap fan for life. :)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
My first rap CD was also The Score by The Fugees, which snuck by thanks to the covers which my parents were familiar with, though I'd already been interested in picking it up when I saw them perform "Fu-Gee-La" on Mtv. I think I picked up the cassingles for "Tha Crossroads" by Bone Thugs, "Gangsta' Paradise" by Coolio and "I Wish" by Skee-Lo around the same time.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Mine was Marshall Mathers LP, if you don’t count my dad trying to get me into ICP.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Wamsutta posted:

My dad worked in advertising. As a 7/8 year old boy, I loved going into the office on weekends with him. He’d catch up on work and I’d post up in the art room which had more markers and paper than I’d ever seen in my life. His art director would hang in there with me and work on stuff. He’d play music. One day he played Kool Moe Dee’s “Wild Wild West” for me and it must have hit a switch in my brain. He could tell how much i loved it, and gave me his cassette tape copy of How Ya Like Me Now. I wonder if he knows he made me a rap fan for life. :)

I was the same age when I would perform Wild Wild West for my family. I actually liked LL and Kool Moe Dee. I'm Bad was the other song I'd do.

My cd was an album. Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick's: The Show / Ladidadi . My parents let me listen to Ladidadi exactly once lol

temple fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 17, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Mine was Marshall Mathers LP, if you don’t count my dad trying to get me into ICP.

Oh my god, my first rap album was almost definitely ICP now that I think about it. I think the great milenko came out my sophomore year of high school? Jesus Christ.

At least that didn't last. I distinctly remember listening to one of their albums while still in high school and realizing that it was loving terrible.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Marshall Mathers LP dirty version when I was 10ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I had been downloading wu-tang, pac and biggie songs for years before I actually bought an album which was day 1 Movies For the Blind by Cage. Loved me some hardcore underground poo poo