Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Having lived most of my life in the south, I've had to actively deal with these animals being pests. Raccoons are like feral cats with opposable loving thumbs. I've had to literally chase one away with a switch before.

Out in the country, I've had to deal with possible predators too. One time, my favorite outdoor cat got tree'd by something. She was literally screaming bloody murder and I was worried she might have been hurt. I grabbed the shotgun and went outside in the pitch dark - no street lamps in the country. I was briskly walking to the tree I was hearing the screaming from and saw two big, yellow reddish eyes glint at me in the dark. They looked higher off the ground than I was comfortable with and were both very forward oriented. It was a split second and I pulled the shotgun up in my shoulder, unsure what was about to happen. The eyes glinted off and my cat shoot past me like a lightning bolt, running into the house. With a shotgun at the ready, I walked backwards towards my house until I got in.

I was reasonably sure it was some sort of mountain lion. Everyone in the country knows they like to attack your back, which is why I walked the way I did back to my house.

That night was terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't know that mountain lions will attack you from behind.

This is important to know, because my wife is certain that we are going to be attacked by bears, mountain lions, something called a "kai-wolf," and every other form of wildlife she's heard of since moving to VA. I thought all of this was silly, and then she saw a bear down the street from her work. Then I saw one. Then we had bears in the yard. She is a witch and she is summoning carnivorous wildlife to attack us

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't know that mountain lions will attack you from behind.

This is important to know, because my wife is certain that we are going to be attacked by bears, mountain lions, something called a "kai-wolf," and every other form of wildlife she's heard of since moving to VA. I thought all of this was silly, and then she saw a bear down the street from her work. Then I saw one. Then we had bears in the yard. She is a witch and she is summoning carnivorous wildlife to attack us

People hiking the Appalachian trail will often wear a mask on the back of their heads to keep big cats from attacking them. It's a known thing. Or a big enough wives tale that people actively worry about it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

People hiking the Appalachian trail will often wear a mask on the back of their heads to keep big cats from attacking them. It's a known thing. Or a big enough wives tale that people actively worry about it.

This is also really good to do to protect against drop bear attack.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In theory I love foxes.

In practice my dog loves to roll in fox poo poo, and they keep doing it in our back field, so I hate foxes. Fortunately for the foxes I am a peaceful person and don't even know how to begin to fox proof our land. (Nor do I have the will to learn how.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Organza Quiz posted:

This is also really good to do to protect against drop bear attack.

If that is a real thing I'm never going to the south again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/OW6MfjH.mp4

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Its a real thing, but its in Australia so you are fine in the south of the USA

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

You just made a post about coming face to face with a mountain lion and you're worried about a few little marsupials?

Anyway in bird news I'm getting a bird tattoo tonight and I'm super excited!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is what I think of when I think bear -

I feel like you aren't talking about Brown Bears.

SERRA WEIGH IN!

Serra has vet visits and her next one got delayed because of her nasty night fright. She needs to get her blood back up to normal before they take any. But her visit should be in the next month.

The vet previously said Serra is a very large built female. "Show" cockatiels females are supposed to be big and healthy. Serra came from a specific breeder in Idaho who shows cockatiels, so she is probably from big bird girl stock. The vet said Serra's max weight should be 130 grams, which is already Giant-A-Tiel sizes.

Got her on the scale yesterday.

128 grams. :stare:

I'm going to be VERY interested if she hasn't moved over into chubbers territory. If so, it is 100% my Dad sneaking her snacks. If a vet looks at my Dad and tells him to stop it, he will. If I tell him to stop it, he says she is starving and I am being mean.

Everyone I've ever been around with my birds always says, "Oh, look at her! She must be starving!"

No, no she isn't. She is a cockatiel. She lives for three things - scritches, hisses, and eating sweet treats...es.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

^^^
She's a chonky girl

GoldStandardConure posted:

Its a real thing, but its in Australia so you are fine in the south of the USA

Nah, you just gotta be wary of skunk apes in the US south. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 14, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

They sound like the voices from Celeste. :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
...henlo....me am (wet) stegosaurus

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

This is what I think of when I think bear -

I feel like you aren't talking about Brown Bears.

We mostly have black bears around here but we do get the odd brown/grizzly. Black bears should be given a wide berth, because they are large and unpredictable omnivores, but on the whole they're kind of cowards and are easily scared off if they think you're gonna fight them. My stepmom tamed a feral cat that was living in the woods on their property and he's more than capable of chasing off even a bigger black bear. Granted, he's a very big cat. But he still wins that fight.

Unless it's a sow and cubs, in which case all bets are off.

Grizzlies are another matter. Just avoid them altogether. Let them finish what they're doing and they'll move on.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Chonkatiel

If I interrupt her while she is grooming, like this picture, she is at maximum chonk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had black bears nosing around my chicken coop--not to attack the chickens, but to get their feed. They ran away before I even realized they were there, and the next time I saw them they ran when I yelled at them, even though it was a mother and cub. The game warden advised me to use a paintball gun to ward them off.

I haven't had any problems with them since I moved the feed inside.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Wanna scritch that stegosaurus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

redgubbinz posted:

Wanna scritch that stegosaurus

Just had to use my nose to do it, hehe

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Chonkatiel

If I interrupt her while she is grooming, like this picture, she is at maximum chonk.

Thicc

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

HOW DID I MISS THE ADORABLE PICTURE?!?!

Wanna scritch that Dino. :3:
-
Serra has a tiny cockatiel friend now. She ain't havin' it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkqqcHIwNhg

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Nicky sometimes does laps in her cage or runs around in circles or does a bunch of wing flapping and noisemaking too, seemingly without reason, and we've come to understand it as a way she either displays her displeasure with our actions (we're dressed in the morning and she knows we're going to work soon) or she's just having some fun. Sometimes running around and throwing toys around and flapping and hopping about is a great time!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Log posted:

Serra has a tiny cockatiel friend now. She ain't havin' it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkqqcHIwNhg

I love how she's all "I don't have to deal with this" and waddles away from it at maximum speed

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love how she's all "I don't have to deal with this" and waddles away from it at maximum speed

for me it's the budgie sounds in the background

"twee-eet! twee-eet! CHIP!!! twee-eet!"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

for me it's the budgie sounds in the background

"twee-eet! twee-eet! CHIP!!! twee-eet!"

That is 99% Blue loudly yelling, “LET ME SING YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE!!!” In an always failing effort to win over Yellow.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good birds.

Sad tiny bird doll.

It's okay tiny bird doll. We love you.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Terra Status:

still incredibly aware of how cute she is, still a fat happy birb who keeps wanking on her perch stop it terra the boingy rope doesn't want to gently caress you

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It took me a solid year and a half to make Serra’s cage jerk proof.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Spring is coming and Sera is scoping out potential nest locations. Mostly under pillows on my bed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My favorite genre of Youtube bird video is Max the cockatoo throwing a tantrum when he has to go the vet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6BjhCjliE
When he escalates from demon voice to angry toddler to just LOUD NOISES

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

Spring is coming and Sera is scoping out potential nest locations. Mostly under pillows on my bed.

Serra never stops, but the egg crates on the bottom of her cage have ceased egg laying!!!

I honestly wish I knew how to package and sell the solution I stumbled across. A lot of birds could benefit. :derptiel:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Captain Log posted:

Chonkatiel

Thicc and sassy.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Dan spent almost the entire weekend coming and going of his own free will from the cage.
We weren't sure how long it would take him to warm up to us but by the end of today he was flying to my shoulder and demanding scritches

He also has a lot to say.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He's already flying to you?

You've done it! You've won! He's so cute!

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He's already flying to you?

You've done it! You've won! He's so cute!

Not when I call or anything. I'm pretty sure I'm just a means of transport but my shoulder is definitely the place to be.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Caedes posted:

Dan spent almost the entire weekend coming and going of his own free will from the cage.
We weren't sure how long it would take him to warm up to us but by the end of today he was flying to my shoulder and demanding scritches

He also has a lot to say.

That little baby crest! :3:

Serra the Chonkatiel did something new last night. My Dad and I normally watch a tv show before he goes to bed. Serra gets to have some play time while we sit in our old man recliners. I had my legs pulled up in the recliner while wearing shorts.

She went into ultra-nest mode on my shorts. They have a funny pattern and she was trying to shred them. For nesting. Because birbs.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Not lovebirds, but lovebirds.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Pig has figured out that if he stands in front of the fan his voice sounds funny. He's been making various sounds at it and chasing it for 90 minutes, and i'm dying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

iRend posted:

Pig has figured out that if he stands in front of the fan his voice sounds funny. He's been making various sounds at it and chasing it for 90 minutes, and i'm dying.

YOU MUST RECORD THIS WONDER!!!

:3:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
help still dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqbbltVjtM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

It's officially, your bird is better at figuring things out than most people.

:3: