Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Has anyone spoiled the contents of the foil sheet for the store versions of the mystery boosters yet? Lots of good commander reprints already, wondering if the foils will bring us more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Framboise posted:

it must be an act of god that a person can be so disingenuous and not spontaneously collapse under the weight of the irony resulting from it

It's really funny though, just gotta say EDH is Bad into a mirror three times and some weird goof will appear and complain about how wizards prints too many cards for them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

it must be an act of god that a person can be so disingenuous and not spontaneously collapse under the weight of the irony resulting from it

I’ve never been disingenuous in my life.

Lone Goat posted:

It's really funny though, just gotta say EDH is Bad into a mirror three times and some weird goof will appear and complain about how wizards prints too many cards for them.

Did you know it’s actually the most popular format??

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TacoNight posted:

Has anyone spoiled the contents of the foil sheet for the store versions of the mystery boosters yet? Lots of good commander reprints already, wondering if the foils will bring us more.

wait why would the foils be different from the nonfoils

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I wonder how good of a deck you could build with the last 3 years of b/g challenger decks? Even if it’s just putting the explore package in golgari good stuff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

wait why would the foils be different from the nonfoils

the mystery boosters at GPs have one of those "test" cards in the last slot, mystery boosters going to retail have a foil card instead, and as far as i know it's not foil versions of the cards in the 'main' part of the set, but a different assortment of cards?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Is it The Thalia, Heretic Cathar? I'm also playing four The Scarab Gods. Four The Scarabs God. Four Gods Scarab?

These are the things that fill my The Brain

No, 'Thalia, etc. etc.' is Thalia's title in the same way 'The Questing Beast' is the title of the Questing Beast, and so on. Mark Calloway takes off his Nazi poo poo and puts on his Undertaker costume and he is now The Undertaker. His boy Trump is The 45th President of the United States. There have not been 45 The President of the United States-s-s-s.

And you're playing 4 copies of The Scarab God. You have 4 Scarab Gods.

This The Gimmick is getting really long and bad and I'll stop now.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't know what story questing beast is a reference to, all i know is that it's a jumbled mess of abilities and doesn't feel like a legendary creature. they could have at least given it some sort of quest-like card design or something.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bonus posted:

I don't know what story questing beast is a reference to, all i know is that it's a jumbled mess of abilities and doesn't feel like a legendary creature. they could have at least given it some sort of quest-like card design or something.

It's a beast that King Arthur quested after.

The beast is defined by the actions others took against it rather than it's own achievements. Pretty pathetic, I'd say.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bonus posted:

well usually an adventuring party going on quests is made of 5 members, but the questing beast is going alone so it needs 5 members worth of abilities

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Exactly, it's a questing beast, it did all the quests and it's super-leveled up from soloing that much.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

quote:

Merlin reveals that the Questing Beast had been born of a human woman, a princess who lusted after her own brother. She slept with a devil who had promised to make the boy love her, but the devil manipulated her into accusing her brother of rape. Their father had him torn apart by dogs as punishment. Before he died, however, he prophesied that his sister would give birth to an abomination that would make the same sounds as the pack of dogs that were about to kill him.

Cool magic card

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wezlar posted:

Cool magic card

They really missed the flavor on that card.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So yeah hey how about that world championship

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Koirhor posted:

So yeah hey how about that world championship

I picked pvddr. Hoping Seth gets knocked out so pvddr has an easier matchup. Seth is jamming that red though at least I’ve been interested in watching it all. Wasn’t excited about watching a fires mirror even if I preferred Seth out. Even though he won yesterday I think Seth is pvddrs worst matchup.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I picked PVDDR but I would really like Seth to win since Carvalho is an outright cheater and PVDDR has done some pretty sketchy stuff

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wezlar posted:

PVDDR has done some pretty sketchy stuff

...like? I have never heard a single negative thing about him.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Bonus posted:

Yeah "questing" circa Mallory means howling or barking like a bunch of dogs chasing something. Also it appears right after Arthur accidentally slept with his sister, because God is really unsubtle when He tells you you hosed up in these kinds of stories. You can kind of tease some flavor out of it, in that the Questing Beast is an ungodly omen of Arthur's eventual death and the destruction of his realm and is a chimeric creature (it has snake parts for deathtouch and whatnot), but I admit that's pretty vague at best.

quote:

And this meanwhile there came Sir Palomides, the good knight, following the Questing Beast that had in shape a head like a serpent’s head, and a body like a leopard, buttocks like a lion, and footed like an hart; and in his body there was such a noise as it had been the noise of thirty couple of hounds questing, and such a noise that beast made wheresomever he went; and this beast ever more Sir Palomides followed, for it was called his quest.

Personally I love Arthuriana and would be extremely into a set full of that kind of nerdery, but most people probably don't get all of the references in Monty Python. You can't really do deep cuts on Magic cards if you want people to recognize them.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Wezlar posted:

Cool magic card

:krad:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/HilariousDifficultGrassNomNom
https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenNiceGazelleSMOrc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

He moved a his opponents spreading seas once so he could cast the spells he wanted. The other was making a food and turning it into an elk the same turn with oko.

Both could obviously be considered just mistakes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The spreading seas clip is super weird I can’t figure out why he’s pick up the Steam Vents for any reason.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
It is fun to watch people who cheat well. They really try to obfuscate and distract by manipulating things frequently, changing zones, tap/untap, shuffle, rearrange etc. The way he did that thing with the Oko die and token was brilliant, it looks like he's just thinking about whether he's making a token or making a food into a 3/3, surprise! Both!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

It is fun to watch people who cheat well. They really try to obfuscate and distract by manipulating things frequently, changing zones, tap/untap, shuffle, rearrange etc. The way he did that thing with the Oko die and token was brilliant, it looks like he's just thinking about whether he's making a token or making a food into a 3/3, surprise! Both!

At least the new comp changes make it so people no longer get the benefit of the doubt. Lets see if it lasts though or if its enforced fairly.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Count Bleck posted:

I appreciate them using the Legendary supertype on lower power cards for good flavor.

Like Alirios.

My friend, I think you'd like the original Legends set

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Alegendary+set%3Aleg

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The interaction when you play your second copy of Anax is pretty cool (and it would be pretty unreasonable to have multiples of that effect sitting around).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For anyone who hasn’t been watching all weekend the final showdown for $300,000 is happening now, UW vs Jeskai Fires.

Bonkers that Kenrith, the BAB, is probably the standout card of this tournament, except for perhaps Robber of the Rich

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

For anyone who hasn’t been watching all weekend the final showdown for $300,000 is happening now, UW vs Jeskai Fires.

Bonkers that Kenrith, the BAB, is probably the standout card of this tournament, except for perhaps Robber of the Rich

A 5/5 stapled to either a card or 10 life is some pretty ridiculous game

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
If there is a God, Hornet Queen cheater won't win Worlds

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

If there is a God, Hornet Queen cheater won't win Worlds

You can't say "hornet queen" in the chat.

Your message wasn't posted due to conflicts with the channel's moderation settings.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Questing Beast is a character in the Eldraine novel that sends Kenrith and Linden on their quests to become ruler. Sheesh.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
carvalho gets what he deserves by getting owned by a bad mulligan in the last game of the tournament haha

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
$300,000 tournament decided by mana screw and color screw. lol.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Magic Underwear posted:

It was a Bad Keep

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
drat. I was pulling for PV but that was a rough and anticlimactic way to go out. Bunch of real good matches the entire tournament.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

It was a super risky keep, and he totally got punished for it.

:shrug:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I very much enjoyed watching Carvalho lose that way.

I guess it's nice when there are heels in real games

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Oceanbound posted:

Questing Beast is a character in the Eldraine novel that sends Kenrith and Linden on their quests to become ruler. Sheesh.

It's based on the Arthurian myth where the Questing Beast sends Arthur to seek the Holy Grail.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Drewjitsu posted:

It was a super risky keep, and he totally got punished for it.

:shrug:

https://twitter.com/sethmanfield/status/1229244082116943872?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I wouldn't have. 40% of the time (or so) you brick out, and it's better to take another 6 and see if you can't get better.