Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

McCloud posted:

CP feel the same way about RJ I do about Zack Snyder. I do not agree with him, but I gotta respect his dedication

Was this bit posted yet?

https://twitter.com/sw_holocron/status/1229114217824952325?s=19

Something I learned from reading the comments of that post:

quote:

In November 2015, Ron Howard confirmed that he, Robert Zemeckis, and Steven Spielberg were approached by Lucas to direct The Phantom Menace. All three approached directors told Lucas that he should direct the film, as they each found the project "too daunting.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Something I learned from reading the comments of that post:

:negative:
...I mean, there's only one option in that list that is actually better than Lucas.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Timeless Appeal posted:

...I mean, there's only one option in that list that is actually better than Lucas.

You're not excited to think of what Ron Howard could have done with a Star Wars film?
Hang on, I'm getting a message...Oh I see, a Solo film? How bad could it have been?

Very bad is the information I'm receiving.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair, some of Solo is a Ron Howard film

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Howard’s instruction from Disney seemed to be “as quickly as you can, reshoot this comedy with all of the jokes removed”, which seems like a rather thankless task.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
We already got a Howard-Lucas collabo via Willow.

Conclude from that what you will.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As much as I love Spielberg's sappy style, I can't see it working with a mainline Star Wars.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Spielberg doing a story starting off from the end of VIII with the broom kid would be good. He could also do some Bridge Of Starwars espionage stuff. I don’t think he could do space battle bombast and laser sword fights. Zemeckis probably would’ve followed pattern and made his movie a comedy western that no one really wanted.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I hope Waititi gets to do something really out there with the franchise, like a sports drama or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Imagine if he did another mockumebtary, set in the cantina or a droid pit crew. I want to hear him take on the droid racism as the dude is 100% a hero on that topic.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I hope Waititi gets to do something really out there with the franchise, like a sports drama or something.

he'll do whatever dumbass focus grouped trash the managers at disney tell him to do

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

General Dog posted:

Howard’s instruction from Disney seemed to be “as quickly as you can, reshoot this comedy with all of the jokes removed”, which seems like a rather thankless task.

And there are still weird bits like Beckett hurting his thumbs in the final film.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm 99% sure the original point of breaking into the impound lot was going to be that Lando was also bullshitting about having a ship and when they were in there he just pointed at one that was maybe a type he knew how to fly and said "yeah uh that's mine"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BizarroAzrael posted:

He's busy with Time Bandits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Podracing movie we always wanted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

They seem like they should be much more heavily armoured than they are, based on how slow they are and how big the payload is on even one of them. Something like visible droideka shields might be neat. Also in a universe with proton torpedoes and all that, being able to launch bombs in one direction seems incredibly niche. But then presumably the point of them is that they're insanely crappy but the Resistance has to make do with what it can get. I mean, the people making the film could have used Y-wings

I think the idea is that they are so armed to the loving teeth with massive bombs, they're also tinderboxes. Also, remember droidekas couldn't even stand up to the laser blasts from a Naboo fighter, which was more style over substance.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The problem with the bombers is their story purpose. from what we see of then they are a) super easy to blow up, b) carry enough of a payload that any one reaching the target will succeed in destroying it and c) need to be directly above the target. This implies that they are expendable and the goal is to send a lot in the hopes of one getting through, which is exactly what happens. Then they chew out Po for doing exactly that. I mean yes ultimately it's in service to the "don't be a martyr, live to resist" message, but it's weird in the film to think about how the setup happens. It's not clear why Leia says no when Po says yes, it didn't seem like she had any information he lacks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Little Death posted:

The problem with the bombers is their story purpose. from what we see of then they are a) super easy to blow up, b) carry enough of a payload that any one reaching the target will succeed in destroying it and c) need to be directly above the target. This implies that they are expendable and the goal is to send a lot in the hopes of one getting through, which is exactly what happens. Then they chew out Po for doing exactly that. I mean yes ultimately it's in service to the "don't be a martyr, live to resist" message, but it's weird in the film to think about how the setup happens. It's not clear why Leia says no when Po says yes, it didn't seem like she had any information he lacks.

I think Poe's mission was to distract the First Order long enough for the shuttles to get away. If that meant sending in the bombers so the First Order had to focus on them, so be it. But the shuttles were away, so Poe's mission was done, it was time to retreat. Then Poe said, "gently caress it, I've got a new mission now" and proceeded to try and take down the...big rear end Destroyer (I forget what it was called). At which point Leia got pissed because that's not what they were there to do, they needed to get the gently caress out like the original mission said, and Poe was disobeying a direct order.

It's sloppy, and I feel like Leia should have been able to just order everyone else to retreat herself, but the bones of it work enough for me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

well why not posted:

Spielberg doing a story starting off from the end of VIII with the broom kid would be good. He could also do some Bridge Of Starwars espionage stuff. I don’t think he could do space battle bombast and laser sword fights. Zemeckis probably would’ve followed pattern and made his movie a comedy western that no one really wanted.

Spielberg's current action style is a bit too non-grounded for mainline Star Wars and he likes camera movement wayyyy too much. Tintin is an example of how he *wants* to do action, freed of constraints (and RP1 gets into that style as well). Even Minority Report touched on that style in the car factory fight.

Also, framing everything by people's reactions in closeups of their faces would look really weird in Star Wars.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

I think Poe's mission was to distract the First Order long enough for the shuttles to get away. If that meant sending in the bombers so the First Order had to focus on them, so be it. But the shuttles were away, so Poe's mission was done, it was time to retreat. Then Poe said, "gently caress it, I've got a new mission now" and proceeded to try and take down the...big rear end Destroyer (I forget what it was called). At which point Leia got pissed because that's not what they were there to do, they needed to get the gently caress out like the original mission said, and Poe was disobeying a direct order.

It's sloppy, and I feel like Leia should have been able to just order everyone else to retreat herself, but the bones of it work enough for me.

Leia sent in Poe to clear a path for the bombers. Poe did that, and the mission was a success, although it came at a heavy cost. Leia was mad because apparently she expected all of the literal WW2 bombers to come home safely. This doesn't make any sense because the TIE fighters are already way faster than the bombers, so if the bombers were in range of the Dreadnought, then they were presumably also already in range of the TIE fighters and they were 100% guaranteed to die even if they had tried to turn around and get home anyway.

This is all terrible because it's a very poorly written scene.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

revwinnebago posted:

Leia sent in Poe to clear a path for the bombers. Poe did that, and the mission was a success, although it came at a heavy cost. Leia was mad because apparently she expected all of the literal WW2 bombers to come home safely.

I'm not a huge fan of tlj but you either don't remember the scene or are deliberately misreading it. Leia tells Poe to pull out once the last shuttle takes flight. Poe argues that "they have a chance to take out a dreadnaught." Leia gives him a direct order to disengage, and in response Poe switches off the radio connection to leia and orders the bombers to attack.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Podracing movie we always wanted.

Ford v Ferrari with podracers

Lets do it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Let Tom Hooper direct the next Star Wars movie. Make it a musical with half of the cast unable to sing comfortably in the song range, and make a quarter of the movie focus directly on the face of the actor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What is going to be remembered as Rey's legacy in the war between the First Order and the Resistance? In the history books, how many times does her name show up in those chapters. Her war contributions are as follows:

-Was rescued during the Resitance's successful attack on Starkiller Base
-Was present when Kylo Ren assassinated Supreme Leader Snoke (unconfirmed)
-Facilited the escape of Resitance leadership from Crait by lifting some rocks blocking a cave tunnel and ferrying them off planet
-Was present on the surface of Exogol while the war's decisive battle was fought miles above (unconfirmed)

Really only the third one is especially noteworthy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I wonder if her legacy will be ruined when it's revealed that she's Emperor Palpatine's granddaughter.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"That strange old wizard that lives at the old lars house? She kissed the grandson of space hitler who also another more recent space hitler. Her grandfather is satan"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ingmar terdman posted:

"That strange old wizard that lives at the old lars house? She kissed the grandson of space hitler who also another more recent space hitler. Her grandfather is satan"

:lol: that is kinda what kids would say

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The story of the original devs and test pilots of the X-Wing, going on the run from the Empire, joining the Rebellion and setting up secret factories.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

The story of the original devs and test pilots of the X-Wing, going on the run from the Empire, joining the Rebellion and setting up secret factories.

Not sure it's as positive as that, I think Incom are just Anaheim Electronics from Gundam, selling to both sides.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not sure it's as positive as that, I think Incom are just Anaheim Electronics from Gundam, selling to both sides.

Well that's the old version of the story. They might have become Anaheim in the new Canon.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Ingmar terdman posted:

That would be a cool thing to start the next trilogy with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ingmar terdman posted:

This reads like Dark Souls NPC dialog.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwarzwald posted:

"That strange old wizard that lives at the old lars house? She kissed the grandson of space hitler who also another more recent space hitler. Her grandfather is satan. neyh heh heh heh hehhh"

Yeah that's about right

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

have you guys ever played dark souls

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

piratepilates posted:

🤔 I'm not sure I've heard that one before, what is it like in a sentence?

I see it a lot in context of sports, like someone will say eg Lebron James is the prototypical point forward and they mean he’s the best possible example of that archetype, not that he was an early version of the phenomenon

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

To give a counter example if someone said that Michael Jordan is a prototypical shooting guard they may mean exactly what they said, as later players like Kobe explicitly patterned their game after Jordan.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DeimosRising posted:

I see it a lot in context of sports, like someone will say eg Lebron James is the prototypical point forward and they mean he’s the best possible example of that archetype, not that he was an early version of the phenomenon

Ah I see what you mean.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

More like E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The StarFortress, after the B-17 Flying Fortress (the main US bomber in WW2).

Which is a damned shame that the Flying Fortress was honored by those paper thin space bombers. For a movie series whose most iconic scene was based on WWII dam busting bombers.

Insane ordinance, slow as bricks, and vulnerable to snub fighters.

Instead we got a those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm not a huge fan of tlj but you either don't remember the scene or are deliberately misreading it. Leia tells Poe to pull out once the last shuttle takes flight. Poe argues that "they have a chance to take out a dreadnaught." Leia gives him a direct order to disengage, and in response Poe switches off the radio connection to leia and orders the bombers to attack.

If Poe hadn't taken out the dreadnaught, the "fleet killer," then it would have destroyed the Rebel capital ship 10 minutes later when the long "run them out of gas" situation happened. It had the big guns, and they would have reached.

Poe saved them all, and got slapped, demoted, and then ridiculed for it.