Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Still waiting on another bricklink order for the hinges to finish connecting the roof, but I recently cobbled together the Modern Library MOC from Brickative!

Some more pics over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Still waiting on another bricklink order for the hinges to finish connecting the roof, but I recently cobbled together the Modern Library MOC from Brickative!

Some more pics over here
Wow, that's a very cool design and I love the elevator. Didn't realize this was designed by the same guy that's been making all these killer antique cars I've been seeing. I'd love to see this next to some other modulars.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Some more pics over here

Haven't checked the gallery test, but the signage and hell even the handrails are dope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Some more pics over here

drat that’s cool.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I don’t know if this question even makes sense, but I figured trying here would be better then reddit. If I want to build a Moc (from like jkbrickworks) and I click through to rebrickable, what strategy do people use to buy stuff? Whoever has the highest percentage of the pets? Or some pieces from tons of stores? I would like to build a few of their things, but have never used rebrickable. It also seems that stores that have 99% of the parts will be twice as much as a store with 96%? I feel like I am not smart enough to live that moc life.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Snowmankilla posted:

I don’t know if this question even makes sense, but I figured trying here would be better then reddit. If I want to build a Moc (from like jkbrickworks) and I click through to rebrickable, what strategy do people use to buy stuff? Whoever has the highest percentage of the pets? Or some pieces from tons of stores? I would like to build a few of their things, but have never used rebrickable. It also seems that stores that have 99% of the parts will be twice as much as a store with 96%? I feel like I am not smart enough to live that moc life.
Okay, this is all just my personal process, so grain of salt and all that.

I wouldn't use Rebrickable's buying interface. I would create the wishlist in Bricklink and then use their algorithm to automatically select stores to buy from.

To be specific, the first thing I do is hit "easy buy" just to see what the result is. It will show you what it thinks is your cheapest route to acquiring the parts you need. It prioritizes your location and using the minimum necessary number of stores to get your parts. This is not always the very best way to go, but I run it first as a reference point.

Next, I go into the wishlist, click "buy all," and then hit "auto select." For smaller orders, I make sure I'm only checking stored in North America to keep my shipping times and costs down. For orders that are larger, require bulk amounts of one piece, or require rare or obscure parts, searching internationally is more likely to find better deals. Try it both ways, compare against the Easy Buy offering from before, and pick the one that feels best.

Once your shopping carts for the various BL stores have been created, go view them all manually. Make sure the parts are in acceptable conditions and such, like you haven't accidentally added a bunch of used parts that have notes like "yellowed/cracked." Go to the stores' splash pages and terms pages, make sure there's no exorbitant fees or stupid policies. Check out with each store and call it a day.

You can spend a little more to skip large chunks of this process by specifying "new" condition for every part and then just roll with the "auto buy" results, but I like to be thorough so I know exactly what I'm getting at the best prices.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't tried Rebrickable but I tried Brick Owl once, and their store was terrible. It's difficult as hell to get a wishlist going, and it's just as frustrating to figure out how to buy anything. It would suggest stores to me, but I'd click in and they'd all have insane minimum buys or some of the parts would be insanely expensive. Like Carbohydrates said, Bricklink is the easiest place to buy parts from. Even then, it is still a bit frustrating. Bricklink doesn't look at minimum orders, so you could get a cart with a store that requires a minimum of 25 dollars. Or it builds a cart in a store where a part you want has a minimum buy of 20 or something. And it still has issues where someone decides that their 2x4 plates are worth double what anyone else charges for no reason. You'll have to spend a few hours trying to consolidate between different carts, realizing one store is a total bust, so you have to then search for those parts in other stores you have carts with to try to get your number of orders down. Expect to spend at least 150% what you think you're going to pay. Buying parts for MOCs is an exercise in patience. Especially when you realize a store you bought from only ships out once a week.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 16, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to slowly get rid of my collection... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914571

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Built some desk swag with some custom printed tiles from minfigs.me:

kali.lego

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keyboard’s upside down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

Keyboard’s upside down.

Lmao, I don’t know how I missed that... good catch!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That desk is cool but even with the spoiler idk where its from

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Built some desk swag with some custom printed tiles from minfigs.me:

kali.lego

r/wallstreetbets

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt

I am so glad to be done with this car. There is not a single car that I have put more hours into than this thing. It's been a WIP for about a year and a half now as I've tried a million different ways to shape it and hold it all together. It was even briefly an 8-wide build before I went back to 6.

Anyway, the Thunderbolt is a pretty hilarious car. They took a Fairlane and modified it into a pure min/max drag car: no radio, no A/C or heat, no windshield wipers, side mirrors, or anything else non-essential. Plexiglas windscreens, fiberglass hood, fiberglass or aluminum bumpers. Some of them even had fiberglass doors. My favorite feature: the inner set of headlights are removed and the holes are used as air inlets for the engine.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I'm dying to build some sick MOCs but I'm dead rear end broke atm. Anyone know the best virtual lego designer software to use for building moc stuff? I do want to actually build said mocs IRL eventually so keep that in mind.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
^ I too would like to know such a program. I'd like to do a Lamborghini Countach MOC (I'm not satisfied with any of the ones I've yet seen) and if I figure out how to do it convincingly I'll gladly share :)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Studio 2.0 - also known as stud.io

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/build/studio.page

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Oh poo poo this stud.io looks perfect! Thanks ya'll!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Carbohydrates posted:

Okay, this is all just my personal process, so grain of salt and all that.

I wouldn't use Rebrickable's buying interface. I would create the wishlist in Bricklink and then use their algorithm to automatically select stores to buy from.

To be specific, the first thing I do is hit "easy buy" just to see what the result is. It will show you what it thinks is your cheapest route to acquiring the parts you need. It prioritizes your location and using the minimum necessary number of stores to get your parts. This is not always the very best way to go, but I run it first as a reference point.

Next, I go into the wishlist, click "buy all," and then hit "auto select." For smaller orders, I make sure I'm only checking stored in North America to keep my shipping times and costs down. For orders that are larger, require bulk amounts of one piece, or require rare or obscure parts, searching internationally is more likely to find better deals. Try it both ways, compare against the Easy Buy offering from before, and pick the one that feels best.

Once your shopping carts for the various BL stores have been created, go view them all manually. Make sure the parts are in acceptable conditions and such, like you haven't accidentally added a bunch of used parts that have notes like "yellowed/cracked." Go to the stores' splash pages and terms pages, make sure there's no exorbitant fees or stupid policies. Check out with each store and call it a day.

You can spend a little more to skip large chunks of this process by specifying "new" condition for every part and then just roll with the "auto buy" results, but I like to be thorough so I know exactly what I'm getting at the best prices.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't tried Rebrickable but I tried Brick Owl once, and their store was terrible. It's difficult as hell to get a wishlist going, and it's just as frustrating to figure out how to buy anything. It would suggest stores to me, but I'd click in and they'd all have insane minimum buys or some of the parts would be insanely expensive. Like Carbohydrates said, Bricklink is the easiest place to buy parts from. Even then, it is still a bit frustrating. Bricklink doesn't look at minimum orders, so you could get a cart with a store that requires a minimum of 25 dollars. Or it builds a cart in a store where a part you want has a minimum buy of 20 or something. And it still has issues where someone decides that their 2x4 plates are worth double what anyone else charges for no reason. You'll have to spend a few hours trying to consolidate between different carts, realizing one store is a total bust, so you have to then search for those parts in other stores you have carts with to try to get your number of orders down. Expect to spend at least 150% what you think you're going to pay. Buying parts for MOCs is an exercise in patience. Especially when you realize a store you bought from only ships out once a week.

Thank you both so much! I will check in after I get my 2 orders in.

Are there any other places to see more kinetic builds then JK Bricklink? I really like the moving stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt

I am so glad to be done with this car. There is not a single car that I have put more hours into than this thing. It's been a WIP for about a year and a half now as I've tried a million different ways to shape it and hold it all together. It was even briefly an 8-wide build before I went back to 6.

Anyway, the Thunderbolt is a pretty hilarious car. They took a Fairlane and modified it into a pure min/max drag car: no radio, no A/C or heat, no windshield wipers, side mirrors, or anything else non-essential. Plexiglas windscreens, fiberglass hood, fiberglass or aluminum bumpers. Some of them even had fiberglass doors. My favorite feature: the inner set of headlights are removed and the holes are used as air inlets for the engine.

As usual, it's fantastic.

Do you only do classic cars, or would you try something weird but slightly more modern? I'd love to see if it would even be possible to do an accurate Plymouth Prowler in your style and scale.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

As usual, it's fantastic.
Thank you! Based on initial response on Reddit, flickr, etc., it's by far my least popular MOC yet, so I'm glad you like it!

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you only do classic cars, or would you try something weird but slightly more modern? I'd love to see if it would even be possible to do an accurate Plymouth Prowler in your style and scale.
I guess I just really PREFER to do classic cars? The Prowler would have a whole host of challenges due to its shaping, but it really doesn't interest me very much, I guess. When it's a subject I really like, my brain starts firing with all these ways I can achieve the shaping. When it's one I don't care much about, my brain just goes "eh, looks hard."

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The other problem with the Prowler is that not enough bricks are available in purple, so you probably couldn't make the car its iconic color.

I know Prowler People disagree, but I think the car looks real dumb in most other colors.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good poo poo, Carbohydrates!

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this piece before, but I now own like 100 because it was on the PAB wall and it seemed like something just begging to be integrated into Micropolis scale architecture, somehow.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
It’s in a lot of the ninjago sets

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

cosmin posted:

It’s in a lot of the ninjago sets

Newer ones, I assume? I had a lot of the stuff from the movie, the City, etc...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's been in shitloads of buildings in the past 2 years. Lots of modulars, 3-in-1s, Harry Pottter, Friends, Princesses, etc

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Feenix posted:

Good poo poo, Carbohydrates!

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this piece before

One of the best greebling bricks if it only existed in more basic colors :(

The most basic one is tan, the rest are more unusual ones like the pearl gold one you got there

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of pearl gold. Why couldn't they make the backside of the ISS solar panels in pearl gold? The orange simply looks way off. And they even have pearl gold parts in the set (for other stuff that is - actually - wrapped in gold foil at the ISS).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I recognise it from the hidden side school (which I got for half price on the weekend, very interesting set and fun gimmick!)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tuo posted:

Speaking of pearl gold. Why couldn't they make the backside of the ISS solar panels in pearl gold? The orange simply looks way off. And they even have pearl gold parts in the set (for other stuff that is - actually - wrapped in gold foil at the ISS).

Most pictures of the panel backsides look yellow-orange. Pearl Gold might look better on the model but it’s less accurate. Something like a pearl orange would probably be better than the bright orange the model uses, but it’s cheaper to just use an existing piece than to come up with a whole new color or cast a part in an existing color that won’t be used often.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most pictures of the panel backsides look yellow-orange. Pearl Gold might look better on the model but it’s less accurate. Something like a pearl orange would probably be better than the bright orange the model uses, but it’s cheaper to just use an existing piece than to come up with a whole new color or cast a part in an existing color that won’t be used often.

I don't expect a new color, yeah. That wouldn't be possible for a single ideas set. I just think that pearl gold would have looked less disturbing than the yellow-orange/bright-light orange or whatever it actually is. On a model of this scale, it simply sticks out too much, imo. Then again, it's easily replaced with a darker color. I'd have prefered something in the tan range (which should be available and reusable) to the very bright orange.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

EvilJoven posted:

That desk is cool but even with the spoiler idk where its from

It’s just computer software and tools used for pentesting. Kali is the linux distribution on the screens with wireshark and a few other applications. Just more desk swag :)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Does anyone know of some good plastic shelving units with sorting drawers for lego?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Where do you live? Europe seems to have much better options.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Scipiotik posted:

Where do you live? Europe seems to have much better options.

I'm in the United States.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finally...someone now please kill me...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Is it possible to make a corkscrew out of 25061?

i.e. attack 4 together in a circle and instead of attaching #1 and #4 you add another track piece after #4 and keep going

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How high is the thing you want to send down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
I got the Newt's Suitcase set a while back and decided to make an expanded base for it with little habitats for all the beasts (plus basilisk from the Great Hall set). I had one visit to a PAB wall and the rest was scavenged from old sets in my inlaws loft and leftover bits from the treehouse and the great hall. I had a lot of fun making it, it's definitely not perfect but I like it more than the suitcase and beasts separately!

I was particularly happy with the Niffler's tree.