Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Why the hell did you sell that awesome car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Animal posted:

Why the hell did you sell that awesome car

I'll be honest, if it didn't burn a quart of oil every 900 miles I'd keep it. But that burn rate tells me that I got a poo poo engine and it's a time bomb till it needs to be replaced AGAIN. Gonna let the new owner deal with that, and yes I already told him. Not gonna hide anything, these cars are money pits.

Otherwise I'd put all the mods I've been stockpiling on it and make it a ridiculous 400 hp monster daily driver.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

God drat :( I think you're making the right choice in the long run but I'm sure it hurts to sell it

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Still a week away from selling and already experiencing massive seller's remorse. I think I should just drive my C70 all next week.

I mean, come on

Out of curiosity, did you consider the reman/rubuild/jy swap route? I know there's more issues than just motor on these but if its a car you like ...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

ch1mp posted:

Out of curiosity, did you consider the reman/rubuild/jy swap route? I know there's more issues than just motor on these but if its a car you like ...

The motor and turbo were already replaced when I got it, then the turbo blew a year in to my ownership, and then 3 months later the motor sucked a valve and threw it in to my replacement turbo, and I replaced both again. That was a year ago. Tired of spending money on it, yet it's too slow as is and I want to continue modding it. I'm better off with a car that I won't be compelled to modify, I already have one plenty quick modified car that I love, and my 122 project is now FIVE years in process and I need to get moving on it.

One interesting option that has presented itself is a '91 240 that my dad gifted to my oldest sister back in 2006 or so. She passed away from cancer in 2010, so my niece inherited it, and drove it for a couple years. When she got a nicer car she gave it to my nephew (her cousin) and he drove it for a couple years. Then he graduated college and got a nicer car, so it's been sitting at my dad's house for a year or two. It's a beater with body damage and a trunk leak, but it only has 160k miles on it, it runs solid (dad just went out and fired it up) and it'd be free. I could ship it here and just maintain/drive that for a while. We'll see.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

lifted and murdered-out 240 for the winter win!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

2015 Volvo s60: recomendations for a good Trunk net or something to help keeping my poo poo from rolling the gently caress around in the trunk?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Hello Volvo thread. I don't know anything about cars, could someone tell me if it's a terrible idea to buy a 2007 Volvo C30 (1.6D engine) with 220k miles (350,000 km)? It seems to be in good condition and has only had one owner, but obviously the high mileage makes me hesitant.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Aardark posted:

Hello Volvo thread. I don't know anything about cars, could someone tell me if it's a terrible idea to buy a 2007 Volvo C30 (1.6D engine) with 220k miles (350,000 km)? It seems to be in good condition and has only had one owner, but obviously the high mileage makes me hesitant.

350000Kms is a lot. It would need to be very cheap, and have a pre-purchase inspection done buy someone I trust to even consider it. The 1,6D is a Peugeot/Citroen/Ford joint venture engine also used by Mini, Mazda and Volvo so its very common. As I understand it, it is decently reliable, but needs to have frequent oil changes to avoid gunking up the turbo feed, which leads to turbo failures. Those are expensive. It would need a full service history with on-time oil changes (roughly every 10k kms) to avoid that issue. Is it auto or manual?

Humbug fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 20, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LloydDobler posted:

One interesting option that has presented itself is a '91 240 that my dad gifted to my oldest sister back in 2006 or so. She passed away from cancer in 2010, so my niece inherited it, and drove it for a couple years. When she got a nicer car she gave it to my nephew (her cousin) and he drove it for a couple years. Then he graduated college and got a nicer car, so it's been sitting at my dad's house for a year or two. It's a beater with body damage and a trunk leak, but it only has 160k miles on it, it runs solid (dad just went out and fired it up) and it'd be free. I could ship it here and just maintain/drive that for a while. We'll see.

This is a good option.

ch1mp posted:

lifted and murdered-out 240 for the winter win!

This is a great option.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is a great option.

*Must have Mad Max trim package installed though. Hella fogs, cow-catcher, aggresive off-road tires, roof rack, wide wheel arches, 5 gallon fuel can.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Bananana posted:

2015 Volvo s60: recomendations for a good Trunk net or something to help keeping my poo poo from rolling the gently caress around in the trunk?

I use old milk crates with a bungee holding it to one of the cargo loops in the tailgate area. My C70 even has them, so I'm assuming a new S60 does too. It's ugly but works. I use rags to pad the stuff in the crate. Rags are always handy.

If you want it to look nice, google "trunk organizer" and there are dozens of options under $40.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
A thumping noise has appeared in the front of my P3 S60 while turning at slow speeds. I guess it’s time to replace the strut bearings, I’m pretty sure they’re not covered under the CPO warrantee.

Man the past few months have been some unfortunate luck.

Edit - I’m assuming I can do this without removing the control arm, yikes.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 21, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

LloydDobler posted:

I use old milk crates with a bungee holding it to one of the cargo loops in the tailgate area. My C70 even has them, so I'm assuming a new S60 does too. It's ugly but works. I use rags to pad the stuff in the crate. Rags are always handy.

If you want it to look nice, google "trunk organizer" and there are dozens of options under $40.

Hmm..

Gonna have to see if there are any attachment points in my trunk for bungies

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Humbug posted:

350000Kms is a lot. It would need to be very cheap, and have a pre-purchase inspection done buy someone I trust to even consider it. The 1,6D is a Peugeot/Citroen/Ford joint venture engine also used by Mini, Mazda and Volvo so its very common. As I understand it, it is decently reliable, but needs to have frequent oil changes to avoid gunking up the turbo feed, which leads to turbo failures. Those are expensive. It would need a full service history with on-time oil changes (roughly every 10k kms) to avoid that issue. Is it auto or manual?
It's manual. I assume that's a good thing in this case? The owner claims to have done the scheduled maintenance on time and has service history (haven't seen it myself yet). Still though, maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, since I don't have a ton of money to spend on fixing it if something major goes wrong.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
With a 350k km car, things like common problems and reliability take a back seat to the condition of the particular car. The manual transmission had problems with premature clutch failure, but that doesn't seem so relevant now. It likely has had a clutch replacement at some point. If it has been carefully maintained, it could have several good years of service left, but it is definitely a risk. If that is a risk you cant afford to take, I would maybe look elsewhere. That said, low mileage cars with spotty service records aren't necessarily any better. I would at least take it for an independent inspection and have them go through the service and repair history with you as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd only buy a 350k Kms car if I could afford to replace everything in and on it, and budget accordingly. And if there were no cars available with half that mileage.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd only buy a 350k Kms car if I could afford to replace everything in and on it, and budget accordingly. And if there were no cars available with half that mileage.

Kilometerage

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

What's a few furlongs between friends?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Kilometerage

Distancery

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Any kiwi volvogoons? Looking to sell my 2004 v50 t5

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Heh I don't think Aardark is coming back. Banned by Lowtax lol.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Went and looked at the ice white V70 yesterday, sucks driving 90 minutes to look at a car only to have the guy not come down enough on the price. I would have bought it except the timing belt is original so that's an instant price hit. He claimed he called a Volvo dealer and they told him $540 for a timing belt job. I told him I've never heard of a timing belt job that low. But that's all he would haggle.

Otherwise the car was filthy and had a strong smell. It wasn't a gross smell, just strong. Hard to define exactly what it was. Like tobacco but not cigarette smoke. Maybe the guy smoked super sweet cigars or something. Or he smoked a pipe in it, but a long time ago. It didn't smell good like fresh pipe smoke. Wouldn't matter, I bought an ozone generator off a coworker last year and I'd love to test it out.

On the other hand we were within $300 of making a deal, and it was the straightest and nicest V70 I've seen in a long time. All it'd need is a cleaning. It had 3 tiny paint chips on the door moldings and one chip in the front bumper, and that's all. The spare tire had never been touched. 86k miles and it drove like new. It's a car I could drive for 10 years or more barely changing a thing. All I would do is lower it and tint it. And maybe manual swap it if I found a kit. I would also slowly build a color changing kit for the interior if I was really going to keep it that long. Sigh.

I think I just talked myself into coming up $300. Ugh. I'll keep you posted.

4 hour edit: And of course I did. On my way to pick it up now. I'll post when I get the thing cleaned.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sold the R yesterday, and got the 2.5T through emissions and washed. I updated my 122 thread with more pics if anyone's interested.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Here’s a question for any transmission fluid experts out there. My P2 XC90 has an Aisin automatic in it that needs a fluid flush. I went out and got a jws3309 spec fluid (Mobil) to do it only to find out my model year, 2013, requires a jws3324 spec fluid since it changed specs in 2011. Does anyone know if they’re both compatible or should I eat the hundred bux and get the correct number?

Edit: never mind. RTFM and it calls for the stuff I got. Whooo

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 4, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

God drat it i almost won a new Volvo

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

LloydDobler posted:

I think I just talked myself into coming up $300. Ugh. I'll keep you posted.

4 hour edit: And of course I did. On my way to pick it up now. I'll post when I get the thing cleaned.

lol I was halfway through your post and was like uhh...did you really turn this down over $300? Gratz on the new wagon

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

We're getting pounded today, did a little plowing after work:

Made myself a bitchen chin spoiler:

Also RIP my detail job last Saturday.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Your detailing job protected it from this stuff :eng101:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm shopping current-gen wagons and finding that used MY2019 V90s are cheaper than MY2019 V60s in Southern California. What gives? Non cross country.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Pretty stoked about my new (to me) 2018 V90. Non-CC, T5 with the factory Polestar tune. I test drove another T5 without the tune and I think it makes a difference despite the minor hp difference on paper. Someone had it for 15 months and drove it under 5k miles. I paid ~$19k less than the MSRP and ~$17k less than the invoice price as configured.

The depreciation on these cars is pretty stunning; another local dealer is selling a 2019 V90 R-Design for $39k with like 15k miles. CPO to boot, so it's got a warranty til like 2024 with (I think) unlimited miles.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Pretty stoked about my new (to me) 2018 V90. Non-CC, T5 with the factory Polestar tune. I test drove another T5 without the tune and I think it makes a difference despite the minor hp difference on paper. Someone had it for 15 months and drove it under 5k miles. I paid ~$19k less than the MSRP and ~$17k less than the invoice price as configured.

The depreciation on these cars is pretty stunning; another local dealer is selling a 2019 V90 R-Design for $39k with like 15k miles. CPO to boot, so it's got a warranty til like 2024 with (I think) unlimited miles.

Congrats, that’s my dream car. How much did you pay for it?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Animal posted:

Congrats, that’s my dream car. How much did you pay for it?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Let's see some pictures.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

More a general question as I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Volvo.
I've seen the struggles Top has gone through with his P2 Type R so I've become a lot more hesitant to seriously consider a modern Volvo.
However, my girlfriend's boss is selling her 2008 XC70 with 120,000 miles for $3,000 USD.
How do the P3s stack up to the P2s in terms of reliability? Any common problem areas with them, especially the XC70s?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I don't really know much about the 2008 but I can say I spent 3k on my 04 and although I've put some work into it since (1k on AWD, new radiator, brakes and rotors, interior blower fan) it's been a great car and 3k seems like a great price for an 08. All except for the AWD issues I think are just part of regular maintenance on a 15+ year old car.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Hey everyone, sorry to sort of skip to the last page (but maybe this will be a good thread bump anyway). I don't know much about the upkeep and maintenance of Volvo cars, but have been shopping around to possibly replace my 2014 Ford Focus ST (why the gently caress is a 6 year old car starting to rust to poo poo).

I found one locally in Calgary which I went to test drive over the weekend, the price seems a little high (maybe like $2-3k CAD high), but the car is in pretty immaculate shape considering the age.

What are some considerations I should make? I was sent the car's maintenance history at the dealership from the last ~9 years), anything I should look out for in particular with this specific age/make/model etc.

I am pretty excited to start to shop around for a fun wagon, and volvo's hit a lot of my must-haves for comfort, cool-factor, storage etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction or some previous pages? I tried to look around the first handful of pages on the thread but it's going to be too hard to go through all 176+ of them.

Also, here is the car in question I'm looking at don't buy it under my feet if it's a good deal lol Here

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The V50 is a euro Focus in Volvo clothing, I really like mine. The biggest Achilles heel they have is the cooling system - there’s a lot of plastic in it and they don’t have a low coolant light so if something breaks and starts leaking there’s basically no warning before the engine starts overheating. If you replace/have a shop replace the radiator hoses and coolant reservoir it should be fine. The PCV system had some issues as installed from the factory during certain years but at this point most of them have had the troublesome parts replaced. That one looks clean and if it has a good maintenance history then it’s probably a good buy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The V50 is a really cool wagon. Apart from the above mentioned problems, one thing that totally stopped me in my tracks buy one if that it's pretty much impossible (or impossibly expensive) to get modern connectivity into them. So if you care about bluetooth etc, make sure it has all connectivity you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

zundfolge posted:

The V50 is a euro Focus in Volvo clothing, I really like mine. The biggest Achilles heel they have is the cooling system - there’s a lot of plastic in it and they don’t have a low coolant light so if something breaks and starts leaking there’s basically no warning before the engine starts overheating. If you replace/have a shop replace the radiator hoses and coolant reservoir it should be fine. The PCV system had some issues as installed from the factory during certain years but at this point most of them have had the troublesome parts replaced. That one looks clean and if it has a good maintenance history then it’s probably a good buy.

Also the plastic thermostat housing. Basically do a cooling system swap every 100k km. Also check the coolant at every other fillup just as a habit. As soon as you see any loss, get it investigated.

Otherwise they're great little cars. I got one for my daughter and she loves it.

nadmonk posted:

However, my girlfriend's boss is selling her 2008 XC70 with 120,000 miles for $3,000 USD.
How do the P3s stack up to the P2s in terms of reliability? Any common problem areas with them, especially the XC70s?

I don't know about the common failure points but my buddy who works in a Volvo shop says the P3s are super reliable. They really don't even start seeing them until 100k miles or so when they need brakes and belts. And do not use the R as a baseline for reliability, it stresses the overall systems more than other Volvos and it takes its toll.