Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lumpy I'm so sorry, I purged you from my list in the great drunken stupor of 2015. My list got to like 250 people and I just mass-deleted poo poo out of frustration. I'm throwing you a humble request, fellow warhawk goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

IIRC R6S has the best content blockers in modern FPS games and will literally autoban your account for certain words. I remember, maybe last summer, there was some “controversy” because they instituted a new language filter that just banned your account for the hard “R” and hundreds of people ate poo poo on the first day and took to Twitter complaining and R6S’s response was “gently caress off shitheads if you got banned for being racist we don’t want you to play”

the whole thread, while full of posts that have since been made private, is still gold.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rainbow6Game/status/1017795189774213121

never forget the sacrifice of those brave warriors who stood up for our freedom to call someone the n word because they beat us in a videogame

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The idea of chatting to strangers online fills me with absolute dread, I never got the appeal of voice chat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The idea of chatting to strangers online fills me with absolute dread, I never got the appeal of voice chat

It's less about chatting and more about being able to say "Hey, a guy dropped me and is sneaking up on you all", or even just "Hey, I NEED HELP". For small-squad games (eg; Left 4 Dead) it's frankly vital, because just losing one person can be fatal for the entire team.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some of the most fun I've had with online play is voice chatting with random players in Friday the 13th.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man Yakuza Kiwami 2 is sooooo good, I've battered through 7 chapters in a weekend

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By far the weirdest voice chat experiences I've had were with Star Trek Bridge Crew. it turns out it takes a lot of training to talk like a military organization, otherwise it's just really awkward.

Plus terrible Star Trek jokes of course.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 17, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

That sounds like a worthless whack a mole game to me. Like, you'd spend more time doing that than playing the game.

I mean honestly there’s a reason why I haven’t played multiplayer games outside of Destiny 2 for like a decade. Even the year or so I played Overwatch I was blown away at how little Blizzard seemed prepared to do to combat racism/homophobia in their first real attempt at a game with good representation. I’m 31 years old and haven’t taught in schools in like 3 years. Unless I’m assigned to play against a high school student in a game of Magic at my card store, I’m really not trying to spend any time with kids that aren’t, like, my nephews or cousins or whatever.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Imhotep posted:

Dreams is incredible, but every now and then it will fool you into thinking that you too can make a polished, 5 minute masterpiece of a video game with almost entirely original assets and then you look at the logic for the puppet who looks like the mascot from SMT and it’s INSANE and like 300 nodes of Boolean poo poo nested inside other Boolean poo poo after a timer that’s routed from a huge tangle of cables that makes it so his idle animation for just his head looks left and right every 2 seconds or so, but as far as controlling the character, all they can do is run, jump and uh, do idle animations, and like, slide on their belly down an incline that’s too steep. And I think, to be fair, a lot of that logic was fixing stuff that was janky with the default puppet that’s been fixed since it’s not in early access.

But yeah I made a few cool little Dreams that I’m happy with so far, one of which will be dope in VR.

Theres really no reason to build all yourself. Music? pick some music somebody else made that fit your game. Puppet? if you want to make a shooter, you pick a shooter puppet somebody else made, and start with that. The same can be done with other assets.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Finished Hellblade a couple days ago, great game overall. Combat is repetitive and occasionally frustrating (especially in smaller areas where it’s easy to get cornered) - it’s not hard, enemies just take too long to kill and your move set is limited, so you end up whacking on them a million times with the exact same combo before they die. I turned it down to easy towards the end of the game and wish I had done it sooner.

Everything else was fantastic though. Great story, acting, and atmosphere, and some clever puzzles. Some cool and creepy segments. Not sure how the sequel is gonna work in terms of story, but hopefully they’ll revamp the combat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gey muckle mowser posted:

hopefully they’ll revamp the combat.
Or get rid of it, if they've got the guts. Almost nobody in the game business does.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished Hellblade a couple days ago, great game overall. Combat is repetitive and occasionally frustrating (especially in smaller areas where it’s easy to get cornered) - it’s not hard, enemies just take too long to kill and your move set is limited, so you end up whacking on them a million times with the exact same combo before they die. I turned it down to easy towards the end of the game and wish I had done it sooner.

Everything else was fantastic though. Great story, acting, and atmosphere, and some clever puzzles. Some cool and creepy segments. Not sure how the sequel is gonna work in terms of story, but hopefully they’ll revamp the combat.

Senua has a pretty large moveset, but the game is dedicated to never teaching you how to play it. Her melee for example is a combo extender if used on the last hit of any normal string, and she gets different combos off her parries and running attacks. It's not exactly DMC but you can 100% any normal enemy in the game with the right strings.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Sony PS4: American healthcare is actually evil

These stories are horrifying, I'm really sorry. Looks like the drugs I pay £9 every two months would cost me $500 a month in the US, seriously why aren't you rioting in the streets on a daily basis!?

PS4 was the only console I ever got at launch, and it's still going strong today. I'm keen on PS5 but it really depends on the price-point, it's going to have to be under £500 for me so let's see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad the Bioshock collection installs Bioshock Infinite separately from Bioshock 1 and 2 so it can stay in the trash

I was very confused as to why BIOSHOCK COLLECTION was in 2 parts. So I downloaded them both and Infinite was finished first so I started playing that. It looks fantastic but it's pretty loving boring. Also were those auto turrets placed in so many places because the AI is dumb as gently caress? They feel like an afterthought thrown in so you had something to use that first power on. It doesn't help that the gunplay is mostly shite too. The melee weapon you get is kinda cool though but using it feels pretty hit and miss as sometimes it just doesn't connect despite you being right in the face of whoever you're swinging it at. Deleted.

I never played much of the first so I'm going to give that a proper shot. 2 is universally agreed to be the better one from an actual playing it for fun point of view though, right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MZ posted:

These stories are horrifying, I'm really sorry. Looks like the drugs I pay £9 every two months would cost me $500 a month in the US, seriously why aren't you rioting in the streets on a daily basis!?

Because then they'd get fired and the meds would cost even more due to loss of health insurance.

Americans are some of the least free people in the world and most think it's the opposite.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was very confused as to why BIOSHOCK COLLECTION was in 2 parts. So I downloaded them both and Infinite was finished first so I started playing that. It looks fantastic but it's pretty loving boring. Also were those auto turrets placed in so many places because the AI is dumb as gently caress? They feel like an afterthought thrown in so you had something to use that first power on. It doesn't help that the gunplay is mostly shite too. The melee weapon you get is kinda cool though but using it feels pretty hit and miss as sometimes it just doesn't connect despite you being right in the face of whoever you're swinging it at. Deleted.

I never played much of the first so I'm going to give that a proper shot. 2 is universally agreed to be the better one from an actual playing it for fun point of view though, right?

They made it two downloads so you could skip Infinite, the worst game ever made.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Olympic Mathlete posted:

2 has the best gameplay of all of them but 1 is better in most other ways. Also by the time you finish it you will never want to hear the word "daddy" again.

The Minerva's Den DLC for 2 is probably the best component of the whole package, just think of 2 as an extended introduction for that.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

how far into prey do you have to get before you can to do all the cool stuff in the trailer im getting my rear end kicked

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ASenileAnimal posted:

how far into prey do you have to get before you can to do all the cool stuff in the trailer im getting my rear end kicked

If you are good at exploring you can be completely OP in like 2-3 hours.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

They made it two downloads so you could skip Infinite, the worst game ever made.

Pity I couldn't tell which was which before I wasted bandwidth on it though I can at least now say I tried it and it was poo poo :v:

haveblue posted:

2 has the best gameplay of all of them but 1 is better in most other ways. Also by the time you finish it you will never want to hear the word "daddy" again.

The Minerva's Den DLC for 2 is probably the best component of the whole package, just think of 2 as an extended introduction for that.

Cool, I'll definitely give 2 a shot then and try to smash my way through the first. One of my friends adores it to the point of having actual Bioshock tattoos, I'm not quite sure how it means so much to him but there we go, I'll give it a try.

*edit: oh my paddle things arrived today too so I'm going to try Titanfall 2 with it and see if I can finally master bunny hopping.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please, for the love of God, play 1 before 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minerva’s Den is responsible for the formation of Fulbright Studio, Gone Home, and eventually the rise of the walking sim, which can be considered Bioshock’s greatest contribution to video games as a whole.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

Minerva’s Den is responsible for the formation of Fulbright Studio, Gone Home, and eventually the rise of the walking sim, which can be considered Bioshock’s greatest contribution to video games as a whole.

Having played Everbodys gone to the rapture for the first time last night - No.

Like you can say a lot of negative things about BioShock especially infinite but EGttR is just boring pretentious shite.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Walking Sims are like the Audiobook versions of Visual Novels

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Please, for the love of God, play 1 before 2.

That's what I started, yeah.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Stanley parable was cool, The Witness was cool. Hell even thirty flights of loving was short enough and out there enough to be interesting.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Senua has a pretty large moveset, but the game is dedicated to never teaching you how to play it. Her melee for example is a combo extender if used on the last hit of any normal string, and she gets different combos off her parries and running attacks. It's not exactly DMC but you can 100% any normal enemy in the game with the right strings.

hmm, yeah I never managed to do any combos that long. Although it’s harder when there are multiple enemies and you have to dodge/parry constantly and break the string. Also, I couldn’t figure out a reliable way to switch which enemy I was locked on to, which got annoying sometimes.

Anyway, I started Bloodborne this weekend, just got past Cleric Beast and am headed through the aqueduct. Already loving it! The first area seemed really brutal but it’s been a little bit easier since then.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

hmm, yeah I never managed to do any combos that long. Although it’s harder when there are multiple enemies and you have to dodge/parry constantly and break the string. Also, I couldn’t figure out a reliable way to switch which enemy I was locked on to, which got annoying sometimes.

Anyway, I started Bloodborne this weekend, just got past Cleric Beast and am headed through the aqueduct. Already loving it! The first area seemed really brutal but it’s been a little bit easier since then.

yeah, that bonfire near the beginning with like ten enemies is a real roadblock for first timers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Olympic Mathlete posted:

No. There is not real consensus about the 3 games. 3 is liked by people who have no idea what they are talking about. 1 is liked by people who understand games as art. 2 is somewhere in between. It's not as good as 1 in any way except for actual shooting stuff. Maybe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 has a way better story. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't played them recently

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

2 has a way better story. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't played them recently

I remember the first story. I can't remember the second. So I will have to disagree.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I remember the first story. I can't remember the second. So I will have to disagree.

I can't even remember what happened last weekend, doesn't mean it wasn't good

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Having played Everbodys gone to the rapture for the first time last night - No.

Like you can say a lot of negative things about BioShock especially infinite but EGttR is just boring pretentious shite.

No, that’s The Chinese Room. They’ve been making dumb poo poo like that since they formed in 2007; can’t blame Gone Home for their artso fartso nonsense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They lean way harder on the big moral decisions, and they're all dumb as gently caress. Even by Bioshock standards

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really appreciated them splitting the Bioshock trilogy into two "games" of 1+2 and then a separate one for Infinite so that I could immediately delete Infinite and replay the two good ones instead. Opinions are split on 1 or 2 being better, but neither of them are outright bad or anything like that so it's definitely worth giving both a fair shot.

Infinite is so fuckin' bad, but that said, while I wouldn't recommend playing it I WOULD recommend reading about its tortured and bizarre production. The game's story goes into like parallel dimension stuff later on, and the story went in that direction as way to be able to get something out of various iterations of the game that had been scrapped. But you can feel that lack of aesthetic focus across the whole game. It was a huge mess because of Ken Levine's ego so of course not long after it came out the people who had to suffer his whims recreating the game repeatedly got shuttered and laid off while Levine himself got a free pass to stay and do whatever little projects he wanted. Anyway its production is a genuinely interesting/frustrating clusterfuck.

I was genuinely stunned by the amount of praise Infinite's story was getting when it first dropped.

I went through exactly this. I remember hating 2 when it first came out and can't even imagine why now, I gave it a chance again a couple of years ago and it's good poo poo. I don't know if I liked it more than 1 but it's fine.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
BioShock 2 does not have a better story than 1. BioShock 2 is them cramming a story together quickly because the first one was a hit and they needed more. Saying its better than 2 is just a way of expressing some massive blinding hatred for BioShock 1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

They lean way harder on the big moral decisions, and they're all dumb as gently caress. Even by Bioshock standards

i got sucked into someone close (will leave vague in case of accidental mouseovers) at the end. i think cause i killed one of the bad guys.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I tried really hard to remember any story beats from Bioshock 2. I couldn't come up with anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

BioShock 2 does not have a better story than 1. BioShock 2 is them cramming a story together quickly because the first one was a hit and they needed more. Saying its better than 2 is just a way of expressing some massive blinding hatred for BioShock 1.

I really like 1 and 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pingiivi posted:

I tried really hard to remember any story beats from Bioshock 2. I couldn't come up with anything.

I think you are a big daddy for the whole game. And you are chasing around a big sister while fighting other big sisters maybe? And then at the end the big sister either saves you or lets you drown. Been a while, though.