Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hopper posted:

A picture of an apartment filled to the brim with toilet paper taken from a higher apartment window?

Lol yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So when should China lift quarantine? It would suck if they waited until there were no new cases for 14 days, but if there is just one carrier beyond this everyone could get infected again.

You can’t keep people locked up forever(?) so I don’t see how this is really going to work long term.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Goffer posted:

So when should China lift quarantine? It would suck if they waited until there were no new cases for 14 days, but if there is just one carrier beyond this everyone could get infected again.

You can’t keep people locked up forever(?) so I don’t see how this is really going to work long term.

You can if you take the pigapproach and send in the bulldozers. Suspiciously kind of them not to have done so already.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Goffer posted:

I mean if/when it becomes epidemic I guess they'll stop bothering. Also Chinese Government being the Chinese Government, if it goes on to long they might just try and fudge the numbers and say it's under-control and quarantines no longer needet. That seems like it would be be a pretty hard con to pull off though. With how much it's apparently affecting their economy I could very much understand why they would consider it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Hopper posted:

A picture of an apartment filled to the brim with toilet paper taken from a higher apartment window?

The picture or the toilet paper?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I once bought a bulk pack of toilet rolls from Costco and used them to block out my kitchen window which didn’t have a blind on it so I can relate to that guy

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

THE BAR posted:

What am I looking at, here?

Preparation for the winds of poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I thought everyone in Asia had a bidet? Wtf you need that much TP for?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hopper posted:

Oh hell, it's from a bird's-eye view! I get it!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I thought everyone in Asia had a bidet? Wtf you need that much TP for?

Ever order Chinese food with spicy level 10?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is Burt on his death cruise yet?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When the virus really gets to killing a lot of Asians it gets rated SuperFLUous. Just a little fact from me.

e:

Amazing

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 17, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China has more bidets than the US but less than Japan. No excuse for HK though.

You still need some tissue papaer to wipe your half dry rear end because they bidet dryer is not than powerful.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

Is Burt on his death cruise yet?

imagine how quickly the virus spreads on the pizza buffet

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I saw the ship Burt's going on and would you believe that it's exactly like the one on the poster for the movie Ghost Ship, complete with giant photoshopped skull?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Today in news the president of Cambodia won't wanna hear

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/1229102786689798146

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've seen a couple of truly silly conspiracy theory posts about this virus in the last hour since I woke up. This is truly driving people crazy.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

redreader posted:

I've seen a couple of truly silly conspiracy theory posts about this virus in the last hour since I woke up. This is truly driving people crazy.

Don't leave us hangin' show us the posts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the virus is a nanomachine sent back in time to give john connor the strength to defeat the t-1000 when it comes back to kill him for the fifth time but skynet corrupted the nanoprogramming with a nanovirus so now it's a race against time as sarah connor tries to rewrite the nanocode before the virus gains critical mass and morphs into a giant nanorobot

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You know how there are a handful of locations connected to thousands of infections? That's not really in line with the spread of the virus everywhere else, because those locations are where the CIA released the virus.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
At least we now know cruise ships are ideal research vessels for exotic diseases

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1229459096241307649?s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Just in from c-spam: a bunch of dumb bullshit

Would it really surprise anyone if the outbreak DID originate in that Wuhan Biological Research lab? My impression was that this has been a possibility since the very beginning and we won't know for sure until later (or maybe never)? I mean, a virus escaping from such a lab due to poor safety procedures and practices would be extremely China, you have to admit

Does she not believe in germ theory or something?? Why even be there? Why are you congratulating people for leaving a potentially infected cruise ship like they just won the medal of honor? I don't understand any of this

Nurge posted:

It's also incorrect. For several reasons. But mainly virus is a mass noun in latin. You can't pluralize it. So the plural for english virus is viruses.

I kind of just assumed "virus" referred to both the type of virus it is as well as each instance of the virus. Like if you said "I have this virus" you're both identifying it and referring to the countless viral organisms inside your body

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know how India had only 3 infected and all of them has been cured. Wuhan also was the city Modi meet Xi Jinping a couple years ago. Who goes to Wuhan to meet foreign head of states? Make you think! It was said that the Indian discovery the DNA composition and the antidote from their Bhagavad Gita. Nobody except the Indians can read the ancient Gita. Why is that?!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

Does she not believe in germ theory or something?? Why even be there? Why are you congratulating people for leaving a potentially infected cruise ship like they just won the medal of honor? I don't understand any of this

the positive test came after the disembarkation

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mozi posted:

the positive test came after the disembarkation

right, but... why take the chance? for a completely unnecessary handshake?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

but...but, the 'clout'

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trump needs to greet all the returning Americans but with a MAGA biosuit and armed guards.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Looking back, was Ahmadinejad the beginning of the "world leaders believing stupid conspiracy theories" trend?

Play posted:

I mean, you can shake hands with as many sick people as you want. As long as you properly wash them afterwards it's not a huge deal.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, you can shake hands with as many sick people as you want. As long as you properly wash them afterwards it's not a huge deal.

I guess my theory is that more caution is always better and that purposefully getting virus on your hands and washing it off later is an unnecessary risk. Especially because someone coughing near you could result in virus inside you, correct?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Let him play with fire. I want to see more heads of state infected.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Guy came on a helicopter, he booked the date with the virus a long time ago.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Looking back, was Ahmadinejad the beginning of the "world leaders believing stupid conspiracy theories" trend?

You’d believe conspiracy theories too if your country were infested top to bottom with foreign spies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

In China a party member got infected after 30 seconds of exposure in a quarantine ward because he didn't want to wear protective goggles

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

theflyingexecutive posted:

You’d believe conspiracy theories too if your country were infested top to bottom with foreign spies

Spies working then.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

I kind of just assumed "virus" referred to both the type of virus it is as well as each instance of the virus. Like if you said "I have this virus" you're both identifying it and referring to the countless viral organisms inside your body

No you're right, but the point was that since virus in latin is an uncountable noun, you can't pluralize it in latin. So you use english pluralization rules. Even if it wasn't though virii is wrong. -us becomes -i. So it'd just be viri.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Play posted:

Would it really surprise anyone if the outbreak DID originate in that Wuhan Biological Research lab? My impression was that this has been a possibility since the very beginning and we won't know for sure until later (or maybe never)? I mean, a virus escaping from such a lab due to poor safety procedures and practices would be extremely China, you have to admit

Where did Wuhan Bio Research Lab get it in that case? A unknown novel virus of a class that does not normally does not infect people, from bats by way of pangolins, what do you imagine they were doing with it? Preparing for the day the pangolin menace might rise up against being used for TCM?

(If the answer is "the bio lab made it!" put on a dunce cap because we don't know what makes viruses able to jump the species line and infect us. If we did we'd have much better ideas about how to stop them.)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LanceHunter posted:

They always have since the beginning of time. It's just way more visible now

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is a joke about how lovely dictatorships always blame the CIA for problems that are entirely their own fault, right?

Because, if anything, constant contact with intelligence services and their agents would severely deflate your expectation of what they could actually accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Klyith posted:

Where did Wuhan Bio Research Lab get it in that case? A unknown novel virus of a class that does not normally does not infect people, from bats by way of pangolins, what do you imagine they were doing with it? Preparing for the day the pangolin menace might rise up against being used for TCM?

(If the answer is "the bio lab made it!" put on a dunce cap because we don't know what makes viruses able to jump the species line and infect us. If we did we'd have much better ideas about how to stop them.)

Labs like that do research to try to understand what makes viruses jump the species gap and to understand what makes them more and less infectious. Some of that work involves modifying them and seeing what that does to the virulence in various animal models. It seems plausible to me that this sort of research was being done and it accidentally got released.

I've seen debates in the research community over the ethics of this sort of research, and the general conclusion seems to be that it is necessary for us to learn about these things. Biosafety labs are not immune to operator error and/or poor lab practices, however.

It is also completely believable that this thing is natural and made the jump on its own. Without any evidence to support the lab claim, I would default to the "nature is loving us up" position.

Edit: here is the article I was remembering about the ethics of this sort of research: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/12/19/571744856/nih-lifts-ban-on-research-that-could-make-deadly-viruses-stronger

Day Man fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2020