Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

davidbix posted:

They didn't even mention the World Wildlife Fund or any kind of legal issues. It was incredible.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1229279629455876098

Also, this happened:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1229255917872590848

They may have finally broken me.

LAMO of course they tried to erase the World Wildlife fund from history. Can't have the company look bad.

The second clip explains why the invasion didn't make money and why they can't make new superstars lol

(also it's super weird seeing Kevin Kelly in WWE clips especially given his New Japan work right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

NXT Takeover UK will be in Dublin, Ireland

:thunkher:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Spiderdrake posted:

What did he do? I mean besides fear the pandas
I reformatted and posted this so I wouldn't have to write a post: https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/heres-the-real-story-of-how-the-wwf

It has all of the answers you need.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oldpainless posted:

WM 2000 was a weird big drop in quality from most of their PPVs that year for some reason. I always thought it was because there was no one on one match except for the women’s match.

WM2000 and KOTR2000 are very much anomalies in an otherwise excellent year for PPVs. One issue though is that most shows have at least one match that you can just take one look at and immediately pick out as a terrible match sight-unseen like The Kat v. Terri at SummerSlam 2000. However, matches that should absolutely suck ended up also being quite engaging and fun, like Lawler vs Tazz at the same show.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
im sorry if there's anyone who is still invested in ciampa/gargano but god that poo poo is like a magic bullet for me not giving a poo poo about nxt. good lord, give it a rest for a few years.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if it's fair or not, but I kinda associate Takeovers becoming all-workrate nearfall-fests to Ciampa and Gargano, chiefly Gargano. So having them go back to feuding again just kills what little interest I still had in NXT.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
WWE talking about WCW is the most "history is written by history's winners" ever. I heard one Bruce Prichard podcast where he was justifying why he booked DDP to be the stalker of Undertaker's wife instead of doing his old gimmick. He says DDP was never over cause if he was over WCW wouldn't have went out of business. Making him a stalker was a last ditch effort to make him remotely useful to them. Final conclusion: DDP just had no value to a wrestling promotion and WWE did everything that coulda done to make him work.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 17, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

By having him get his head kicked in by Under Taker, Kane Taker and Mrs Sara Taker on a weekly basis for however long that feud went?

Considering the WCW talent they brought in after the fact, I wish WWE could have held off on kicking off the Invasion angle until at least WM18 or so.

That said, more than the treatment of DDP, I think the reveal that Stephanie McMahon was the owner of ECW killed any interest I had in that storyline.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WWE re-writing history to suit them adjacent chat:

Remember the two Ultimate Warrior DVDs they put out? One pre him coming back called "The self destruction of the Ultimate Warrior", and the other set of DVDs they dd after he was back in the fold which I dunno what it was called.

I have only seen the "self Destruction" one, but they have a bunch of talking heads talking poo poo about Warrior Warrior and about his nonsense promos, and how he couldn't wrestle, and he was a bad naughty unprofessional crazy man etc. (No mention of the racism and homophobia if I remember rightly).

My question is, does the more recent one that celebrates him have the same talking heads? Does it have the same people who shat all over him not a few years previous doing WWE-mandated 180s of opinion?

Also unrelatedly, if I remember rightly, the "Self Destruction" DVD was used as a big bargaining chip to get Bret Hart back in the fold. As in "look what we did here. We own the footage, we can do it to you too, and we don't need your permission. But if you come back, we can do a nice one, and you can have some input."

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
wwe is a creepy company

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NXT UK Takeover Dublin :vince:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spiderdrake posted:

The layout of that card was baffling in retrospect. If anyone should be the curtain jerker, it's "good wrestler" Gargano and "wants to go home early" Finn Balor
What did he do? I mean besides fear the pandas

edit: Can I legit say I liked him looking back? That match had so many good little details that the rest of the night didn't

I mean they didn't slip on invisible banana peels so there's that too

In 94 the WWF & Titan Sports had an agreement where the wrestling company would drop using WWF in writing. Titan then did its thing when they just ignored it & sold merch with WWF and then got sued & the wrestling WWF lost for breaching the agreement. This is the very TL;DR version, there's more to it than this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CVagts posted:

I don't know if it's fair or not, but I kinda associate Takeovers becoming all-workrate nearfall-fests to Ciampa and Gargano, chiefly Gargano. So having them go back to feuding again just kills what little interest I still had in NXT.

It never really got a proper pay-off due to ill-timed injuries, and considering how heated the feud got prior to Ciampa's most recent time off, I'm guessing this will get a blow-off on WrestleMania weekend, either on the TakeOver scheduled for that weekend or on the WrestleMania card itself (which, honestly, may not necessarily be an inspiring card yet, but the matches look like they could be pretty good, and honestly, that's probably more than we can hope for out of WWE PPVs nowadays).

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Ciampa vs Gargano is kinda like anytime I hear there's a new Terminator movie. I loved the first two and tolerated the third... but I'm good now. I'm super good. I'm GOOD.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

Ciampa vs Gargano is kinda like anytime I hear there's a new Terminator movie. I loved the first two and tolerated the third... but I'm good now. I'm super good. I'm GOOD.

If you liked it once, you must like it forever. Sorry, that’s just how these things work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

2000 was without a doubt WWE's best year from a match quality perspective

From what I've watched I think I like 1994 WWF the most but I have huge gaps because we never had Sky Sports as a kid. But when I had the Network I was watching through Raw & the PPVs & got to 1996 & yeah, 1994 had some great highs and also Raw was still just 1 hour so is infinitely preferable to later years when it went to 2 (1 hour is the ideal length for a weekly wrestling TV show). The Royal Rumble that year had Tenryu in it, Casket match was total loving nonsense but in an enjoyable Undertaker way before he turned into a biker man, & Quebecers vs Bret & Owen was match of the show. Wrestlemania X had Bret vs Owen which was amazing & the best Shawn vs Razor ladder match, King of the Ring had one of the better Diesel title matches (vs Bret) & the incredibly fun Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid tournament match. On the other hand, I remember nothing about the final of Owen vs Razor but Owen Hart, King of Harts was the best. Summerslam, it's all about The Undertaker vs The Undertaker! (But really, Bret vs Owen in the steel cage is a top 5 all-time WWE match) There's also a fun Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano title match. Survivor Series is all about the Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund I Quit match, less said about Lawler & His Short Servants vs Doink & His Small Friends the better. Also Chuck Norris is Special Enforcer of the Undertaker Yokozuna casket match.

There's also good TV matches with Bret & Owen against The Steiners, Quebecers against 1-2-3 & Marty Jannetty, Backlund vs Bret Hart, the incredible TV match between Bret & 1-2-3 Kid (Sean Waltman is so under-rated at this point because all anyone associates him with is "X-Pac Heat"), Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels was on Raw, another fun 1-2-3 Kid match against Owen, & the baller Diesel & Shawn vs Razor & Kid tag match from one of the early Action Zone episodes.

So maybe not the best quantity-wise but there is a lot less of the bad stuff. And the bad stuff is short. But also I adore the Bret/Owen rivalry & Bret & Owen just generally are great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vagabundo posted:

It never really got a proper pay-off due to ill-timed injuries, and considering how heated the feud got prior to Ciampa's most recent time off, I'm guessing this will get a blow-off on WrestleMania weekend, either on the TakeOver scheduled for that weekend or on the WrestleMania card itself (which, honestly, may not necessarily be an inspiring card yet, but the matches look like they could be pretty good, and honestly, that's probably more than we can hope for out of WWE PPVs nowadays).

Lol if you think Vince would dedicate any precious Mania time to a couple of Trips's indie geeks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

its like when nike released special st patricks day shoes called Black and Tans

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should have called it NXT Europe TBH given the roster

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tbf they might just be banking on Boris doing an imperialism sometime soon-ish.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Finn Balor: I call this move 1916 due to the significance of that date.
NXT: Say no more, we get you. *whispers* this guy's a big fan of the invention of the toggle light switch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hear scientists are trying to get Vince to walk to the ring and put his arm around Finn's shoulders and smile and declare to the Dublin audience,"I'm ALSO Irish! :haw:", as it will create exactly the right scenario for their machines to try and capture the nano-second where Finn's soul leaves his body.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Should have called it NXT Europe TBH given the roster

This was specifically a hit-job on UK indys growing too fast kinda like when they went out of their way to put NXT on wednesdays. I don't think they thought out the title much.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

NXT is amazing in that it's made me not care about any of the people I liked after they signed there. Even if WWE weren't literal monsters they turn everything they touch to poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just from an industrial perspective it's amazing to me how many WWE business decisions are based not on increasing their own income but on decreasing the income or opportunities of a perceived competitor.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Why is this woman's near death so, drab?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We all hated the main roster for ruining our favorite guys in NXT but now that it's become clear that the alternative was that they just never loving leave the main event I think we need to say thank you, main roster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why in the world would that lady make that choice?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shiksa posted:

im sorry if there's anyone who is still invested in ciampa/gargano but god that poo poo is like a magic bullet for me not giving a poo poo about nxt. good lord, give it a rest for a few years.

:agreed:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the platonic idea of a spot in a wrestling match is that it looks insanely dangerous but is in reality as harmful as standing up from a chair. This managed to simultaneously look like nothing and give the impression that the person doing the move had ripped her own head off.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I keep going back to "lands on the shoulder and neck, clearly, but immediately jumps up to sell the back like hulk loving hogan" and going what.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its cool how nxt is just literally wcw now. Amazing things happening in the undercard (lee/dijak, broserweight adventures) but none of it matters because the promoter's friends will literally never stop having pointless main events among themselves.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I, um, what?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What a stupid spot

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Takeover was good and I enjoyed the main event. Would have been happier with Ciampa winning and facing Finn Balor at the next big show but I'm glad it looks like they're actually going to get to resolve the Ciampa/Gargano rivalry since it was derailed by Vince bringing them up to the main roster to work as a team in direct contradiction of their actual year-long NXT storyline, exacerbating Ciampa's already hosed neck in the process all so they could have some meaningless tag matches on Raw.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Adam Cole (C) retained his NXT Men's Championship against Tommaso Ciampa after Johnny Gargano attacked Ciampa with the title belt.
:laffo:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Imagine, if you will, an enormous man with a perfect body. Test or Mike Awesome would say, "Hark, my rebirth!" if they saw him. And yet this man, with his giant body, can still do corkscrew moonsaults and planchas past the announcer's table. Now imagine that he is not the exciting talent in his match, that he is wrestling the ultimate lifeform.

These men are painfully stuck below the glass ceiling, in WWE. They can't compete with 140 pound guys in pointless kickout feuds.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
NXT giving me Cornette ROH flashbacks. All those Richards/Edwards/Strong main events over & over...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Imagine, if you will, an enormous man with a perfect body. Test or Mike Awesome would say, "Hark, my rebirth!" if they saw him. And yet this man, with his giant body, can still do corkscrew moonsaults and planchas past the announcer's table. Now imagine that he is not the exciting talent in his match, that he is wrestling the ultimate lifeform.

These men are painfully stuck below the glass ceiling, in WWE. They can't compete with 140 pound guys in pointless kickout feuds.

You can remove the glass ceiling. You still own the promotion, Vince. Surprised to hear you do in fact watch NXT though

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Remember when the HHH vs Michaels feud had cooled off and run its course but HHH kept booking himself in 45 minute cell matches and 55 minute last man standing draws? and he did this so that he could keep the exciting talent like Eddie, Angle, Edge, etc in their proper place in the opener? And now the same guy who did that is planning out the takeover cards?

Anyway the point is keith lee is better than ciampa but HHH is too insecure to act

E: yes hello my name is projecthalaxy and I am getting worked into a shoot