Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BONGHITZ posted:

is this the place to get the wuhan flu?

yes please have a seat next to the corpses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Illuminti posted:

I was simply using an example to explain that even if this virus infects 1 billion people (which it won't) and 1% of them die most people will not know anyone who actually died.

That's a pretty strong statement about the effectiveness of the quarantine efforts. I think it's already on track to infect basically everyone in China, so at least a billion there. And when you hear about people with symptoms traveling through international airports, like just happened in Hawaii, centers of infection appearing in the United States begins to feel like a foregone conclusion.

I hope you're right, though

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Illuminti posted:

No I said his made up super deadly virus that has everyone burying their parents would have around a billion people dead. I was simply using an example to explain that even if this virus infects 1 billion people (which it won't) and 1% of them die most people will not know anyone who actually died.

I think most people are underestimating quite how much worse Covid19 would have to be to make it beyond a footnote a year or more from now. Or even 6 months.
On the other hand I love reading a bit of apocalyptic theorising so everyone should definitely carry on posting that stuff.

When it does peter out I'm gonna be interested to see how PJ retcons her doomsaying so that it turns out she was right.

It does hold the record for largest quarantine measures ever put into place. Even if it peters out from here the knock on effects on the Chinese and global economy probably won't be anything to sneeze at. Especially if some groups start restructuring their supply lines to be less dependent on China. It's going to be more than a footnote for a while especially in the medical field.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i suspect china has this mostly contained. even in hubei the new cases and suspected cases are dropping drastically daily. im more worried about this getting to countries less capable/willing of hardcore central planning style shutting down large sectors of their economy to contain it. there is no way, for example, the federal or CA state government would be willing or able to shut down the entirety of LA if a few hundred cases were to be found in the city.

imagine just having this thesis material drop into your lap w/r/t large scale lockdowns to control infectious outbreaks lol. 👏Martial 👏Law 👏Works

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

say a bunch of insane poo poo then leave...typical

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So it's over already? I can finally lickk my fingers again? Good job everyone

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

It's unclear; the number of reported international cases only reflects positive tests for the virus, and most of the tests for the virus are only taking place inside of isolated areas for people who were known to be in China within the last month, as well as for people working with the quarantines. But then you hear about a confirmed infected case who was symptomatic prior to and during their international flight, and another case that was symptomatic in a taxi, etc., and it makes me wonder if the numbers are only going down because A) we're not testing enough people who really have it because "Have you been in China recently" is a criteria for the test and B) a bunch of people are still incubating or aren't reporting symptoms because the first 1-2 weeks are generally very mild

In other words, that graph could be mislabeled; it should be "Number of new infections in international quarantine areas"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 17, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's also possible this is what really kickstarts automation in most industries, since something like this wouldn't be that big of a deal if you had robots handling everything and a majority of your staff doing regular telecommuting.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lmfao robots don't fix everything buddy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

It's also possible this is what really kickstarts automation in most industries, since something like this wouldn't be that big of a deal if you had robots handling everything and a majority of your staff doing regular telecommuting.

I think there was an article a few days back about how the lockdowns have forced lots of people to work-from-home and it's ended up working well enough that companies are thinking of making it a more permanent set-up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Grapplejack posted:

Someone please post that new manufacturing textbook with a special chapter dedicated to Tesla.... specifically their mistake of not bothering to read up on decades of institutional lessons, stupidly trying to over-automate, and having to eventually scrap like a billion bucks worth of robots and instead having to build every car on a forklift in a tent outside, by hand

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

QuarkJets posted:

It's like trying to suss out the state of the pandemic by observing waves in the ocean

holy poo poo, are you saying covid-19 is an atlantean bioweapon that they're using to weaken the above-water population so that they may rise again and claim their birth heritage?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it's actually a corpofascist plot by Mattel to sell koosh balls at toys r us

number must go up

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redleader posted:

holy poo poo, are you saying covid-19 is an atlantean bioweapon that they're using to weaken the above-water population so that they may rise again and claim their birth heritage?

the Atlantean-Bolivian empire will rise again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well... story time.

My S/O is currently waiting for the NHS to come get her to test her for the Virus.

She traveled to Bali via HK on the 4th of Feb. I came from LA via Taiwan during the same time.

Approx 4 days ago she started to feel like something was coming on which she thought might be a cold but she did feel like she had a fever. We were in Bali at the time with limited access to any sort of heath care. Our flight back was yesterday she flew to London and I came back to LA. She passed screening in HK but wasn't screened in London.

She said she woke up last night sweating profusely. She was supposed to work this morning but she took her temperature its elevated and within the range that the NHS considers to be an issue.

They said the test comes back the same day so if she has it welp guess who else has it lol.

The odds are low that either of us have it but still what a pain in the dick.

Fake edit: The nurse she initially spoke with said the test takes 5 fuckin days to come back...

They don't have anyone on call to speak with so she has to wait till 9:30 am London time for the Dr (nurse?) to come in so they can give proper guidance.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm pretty sure this thread said that you were going to catch the beervirus like 5 times before you went to Bali and I'm going to lmao forever if you actually did

also please make sure to continue to update us on what life is like inside a CDC secure quarantine facility

edit: also I believe that based on previous cases, best practices for her in the UK is to take an Uber to and from the hospital to get tested

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 17, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Well... story time.

My S/O is currently waiting for the NHS to come get her to test her for the Virus.

She traveled to Bali via HK on the 4th of Feb. I came from LA via Taiwan during the same time.

Approx 4 days ago she started to feel like something was coming on which she thought might be a cold but she did feel like she had a fever. We were in Bali at the time with limited access to any sort of heath care. Our flight back was yesterday she flew to London and I came back to LA. She passed screening in HK but wasn't screened in London.

She said she woke up last night sweating profusely. She was supposed to work this morning but she took her temperature its elevated and within the range that the NHS considers to be an issue.

They said the test comes back the same day so if she has it welp guess who else has it lol.

The odds are low that either of us have it but still what a pain in the dick.

Fake edit: The nurse she initially spoke with said the test takes 5 fuckin days to come back...

They don't have anyone on call to speak with so she has to wait till 9:30 am London time for the Dr (nurse?) to come in so they can give proper guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGhrQ3-xZSc

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
in two weeks, japan, malaysia, and cambodia are going to look like 28 days later. 150 million dead, the survivors battling for the remaining toilet paper supplies like hungry great apes (to quote a certain poster)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

they’ll never catch me!

also technically she caught it in HK I’m just an innocent bystander.

Oh yeah and she doesn’t find it funny when I make jokes about her having to live in the bubble for two weeks.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the first goon to die of the wuflu should get a special perma av

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Go to Costco and stock up so you can lock yourself up for 14 days.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

stephenthinkpad posted:

Go to Costco and stock up so you have a head start once you kick off the LA epidemic.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Just ah, let us know which Costco you're going to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

after Vilerat, comes Vilebat

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229196834784120832

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

looks like they are going to severely restrict the tokyo marathon to 200 elite runners down from 38,000

let's see what they do with the Olympics next

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Go to Costco and stock up so you can lock yourself up for 14 days.

I mean, how much toilet paper are you expecting to need?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lokar posted:

looks like they are going to severely restrict the tokyo marathon to 200 elite runners down from 38,000

let's see what they do with the Olympics next

oh man i forgot the olympics are this summer lmao

hopefully this is seasonal

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

oh man i forgot the olympics are this summer lmao

hopefully this is seasonal

I’m personally very concerned for Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece. He smokes a lot and only gets like 3 hours of sleep a night so this will definitely gently caress him up. He can’t die before he finishes One Piece...

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1229338122598723586?s=21

quote:

The Statistics and Census Service estimated Macau's population at 667,400 at the end of 2018. With a population density of 21,340 people per square kilometre,[98] Macau is the most densely populated region in the world.

:tif:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I’m personally very concerned for Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece. He smokes a lot and only gets like 3 hours of sleep a night so this will definitely gently caress him up. He can’t die before he finishes One Piece...

Based on my extremely limited knowledge of One Piece, I can safely say that there's only one way it can end: "the real treasure was the friends we made along the way"

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

neutral milf hotel posted:

wait you mean the president, who has "joked" about serving three or more terms in office, who has zero respect for any political norms, has major republican protection from any and all legal consequences from his criminal actions, who has tremendous propaganda support from entrenched right-wing media, who has hinted at violence that will occur if he's not re-elected, is a widely known racist and bigot, who would do anything to avoid state-level prosecution when he "leaves" office, who would absolutely abuse his presidential power to hurt his enemies,... you mean that guy wouldn't consider calling off elections by declaring some national health emergency?? good to know!

this genre of post where someone says their most paranoid fantasies but in a condescending voice as if youre the moron whips rear end

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Illuminti posted:

No I said his made up super deadly virus that has everyone burying their parents would have around a billion people dead. I was simply using an example to explain that even if this virus infects 1 billion people (which it won't) and 1% of them die most people will not know anyone who actually died.

I think most people are underestimating quite how much worse Covid19 would have to be to make it beyond a footnote a year or more from now. Or even 6 months.
On the other hand I love reading a bit of apocalyptic theorising so everyone should definitely carry on posting that stuff.

When it does peter out I'm gonna be interested to see how PJ retcons her doomsaying so that it turns out she was right.

COVID fits the meme of "XX20 there's a pandemic" so it won't be forgotten anytime soon.

GABA ghoul posted:

Can't confirm; which is ironic, as that's probably what the CCP is doing right now.

And by that I mean trusting them to not put out reliable and accurate numbers is a foregone conclusion. "Don't have to report a confirmed case if you don't test the corpse just yet" or some other wildly speculative :mason::tinfoil::mason:

MarcusSA posted:

they’ll never catch me!

also technically she caught it in HK I’m just an innocent bystander.

Oh yeah and she doesn’t find it funny when I make jokes about her having to live in the bubble for two weeks.

Theories of a twenty-day incubation mean she's in that bubble for three weeks, not two

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

A harmonious CCP infiltrator lurking the political threads probably already did but you'd never know :shrug:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

At this point in time the information itself is way more important than purity testing every single person/account who reposts the videos that are leaking out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1229306266822041603?s=21

this guy is tracking numbers in pretty charts because Elon musk said this would be no worse than the cold

lmao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ok guys, bring it in! *all the Musk/Tesla FUD guys, climate change blackpill guys, CCP collapse imminent guys and financial collapse imminent guys come in holding a HUGE embedded tweet*

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Mas graveza

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

just make sure to queue up a macro so you can hit one button as you collapse onto your keyboard to let us know as you breathe your last

and ffs spell check it "from hell's heart i stab at the" would be super embarrassing

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

shame cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/NatGeo/status/1229211624558469120?s=20