Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

If there's any way of telling whether someone has viewed an email it's probably a good idea to turn that information disclosure exploit off, imho.

magic pixel, i'd think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sfwarlock posted:

magic pixel, i'd think

So if you have to click to download images/content then you're good right?
Good.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So if you have to click to download images/content then you're good right?
Good.

That’s how it work with knowbe4. We have outlook set to not download by default so just opening won’t trigger it. We’ve gotten all of our users trained pretty well, even with ramping up the difficult my over time.

Helpdesk just gets a lot of “Is this spam!?!?” tickets, which is a lot better than dealing with cryptolocker.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

My headache is starting to fade thanks to the "fresh" air. I use quotes because we also happen to be next to a skyscraper construction site and the noise and dust are pretty bad.
I can just imagine you sitting in a little cube tippy tappying away on a keyboard while a wrecking ball is constantly swinging overhead smashing poo poo up.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I know I’m new to the position but leaving me out of a meeting while everyone in the group goes is a quick way to destroy employee morale.

I feel like no one cares beyond showing me the most basic stuff. I’m having to ask for more work.

Anyway I think I’m ready to try for a network engineer/admin position. my current job is mentioning new admin positions six months from now (maybe). Maybe isn’t good enough.

I need to be happy again and regain control of my career. The company has failed me.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why does every website have to have huge auto-playing videos and a loving chat plugin that pops up and flashes messages in the tab title and aargh just gently caress off. I swear companies are pulling information off their sites to force you to contact them with your queries, where they will either bombard you with poo poo forever, or just never respond.

Everyone's going the way of car dealership websites.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh hello, another license server that is poo poo. Who would have guessed. Me? No, I would never…

quote:

15:49:19 (slbsls) SLOG: Summary LOG statistics is enabled.
15:49:19 (slbsls) SLOG: FNPLS-INTERNAL-CKPT1
dbus[6685]: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-errors.c line 282.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
15:49:19 (lmgrd) slbsls exited with status 0 signal = 17
15:49:19 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server
15:49:19 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon

Why is a vendor daemon calling dbus? Who knows‽ Why is it failing on Buster? Nobody knows! Does Schlumberger know? Probably not.

Did you know Schlumberger is an awful company? Because it is.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

stop working at jobs where the owner has a son

Yeah yeah yeah

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Have I mentioned yet that I hate license servers?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

That’s how it work with knowbe4. We have outlook set to not download by default so just opening won’t trigger it. We’ve gotten all of our users trained pretty well, even with ramping up the difficult my over time.

Helpdesk just gets a lot of “Is this spam!?!?” tickets, which is a lot better than dealing with cryptolocker.

I was talking about swarflock's case where you can't even open the email in preview pane.
That would be real loving rude because I'd have to turn off preview pane to be able to click on and delete an email (unless I dock my tablet and use a mouse) then turn it back on to continue my regular email-ing?

Not pissing me off: I took a day off yesterday and the rest of my team got a "Surprise this office has to move everything to a new building 2 weeks earlier than planned with no downtime" dumped on them.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
poo poo pissing me off:

Was contacted to move a printer. I am a printer vendor at a hospital. Kay.

Moved the printer. The internal IT didn't know how to make a DHCP reservation. I showed them how to use Rundeck to do it. Then they didn't know what IP to reserve. I took the non-reserved IP that the printer pulled and subtracted one from the third octet, since they use the even third octets for reservations and that would make the important octet match the default gateway.

They insisted that that IP space was for somewhere else in the hospital. Had them check the gateway on their laptops, got the same. Pinged the IP I had suggested, got nothing. Ran rundeck on the IP I had suggested, reservation took, printer acquired it, all is well.

When a vendor knows the network better than the in-house IT there is a problem.

I need a better job. Taking the ICND2 on Thursday.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't believe you, every printer tech I've ever worked with barely knows what an ip address is.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

The Fool posted:

I don't believe you, every printer tech I've ever worked with barely knows what an ip address is.

One of my coworkers just called me to ask how to find the serial number of his laptop. There is a sticker right on the bezel that says "Serial Number = ", so you're not far off. This is why I'm getting the CCNA and getting out.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Oyster posted:

One of my coworkers just called me to ask how to find the serial number of his laptop. There is a sticker right on the bezel that says "Serial Number = ", so you're not far off. This is why I'm getting the CCNA and getting out.

wmic bios get serialnumber

For when your eyes fail, there is always wmi.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ChubbyThePhat posted:

code:
:~$ wmic bios get serialnumber
bash: wmic: command not found
ummm it didn't work

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Employer (largish American corporation) keeps insisting that we need to consider bonuses in our salary negotiations as if it's a sure thing. We just got told that our bonus this year would be 70% because client satisfaction is down 1%. They also just refused to offer a trainee who'd been here for four years a full time job because they didn't have a bsc and wouldn't give someone else the 12% raise they needed to stay in the country. We also have two other trainees who will probably be treated the same as the trainee who just stopped. Add to that that every single dev on our product is underpaid by at least 15%.

Christ I wish they would gently caress off with their lovely American corporatism. It's really the worst loving poo poo. Time to leave the sinking ship.

On the bright side I'm 2 for 2 on applying for jobs and being called for interviews.

Joda fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 14, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

code:
ummm it didn't work

Windows Management Instrumentation :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

but my laptop has windows?? I can move them around and stuff

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CrazyLittle posted:

code:
ummm it didn't work

Listen here you....

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Me: "I've got a fleet of second-gen 300e's running Windows 10 and a bunch of them periodically get stuck in battery shipping mode. I can't figure out why this is happening or how to stop it. Here's a thread from your forums where some other users report the same thing happening to their 300e's. Could you check into this for me? I can ship a couple of ours in if necessary."

Lenovo "Critical Situations" guy: "No other users have reported this. Try running Windows Updates. Also here's Google's Chrome OS recovery tool for some reason."

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

stevewm posted:

Windows Management Instrumentation :colbert:

code:
C:\Users\PBS>wmic bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber
To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Hmm is it working?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is that a refurbished machine or has your motherboard been replaced?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

Is that a refurbished machine or has your motherboard been replaced?

Built it myself. Is it me? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

I kind of want to set a serial number now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PBS posted:

I've seen that on a machine provided by an instrument vendor. They don't know PCs very well, but we paid $100k for the mass spectrometer it's plugged into.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PBS posted:

Yeah, kinda.

I asked because I've seen that in cases where you get a warranty repair but the tech is an idiot that can't read. HP in particular provides very clear instructions on updating the sn, and a couple other bios data fields when replacing the motherboard.

In your case, the motherboard manufacturer left it so an OEM could insert their own serial number. However, I've literally never seen a single boutique oem that actually does that.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Listen here you....

tee hee

On the other hand, it works going all the way back to windows XP

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

CrazyLittle posted:

code:
ummm it didn't work

code:
sudo dmidecode -t baseboard | grep "Serial Number"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mllaneza posted:

I've seen that on a machine provided by an instrument vendor. They don't know PCs very well, but we paid $100k for the mass spectrometer it's plugged into.

We get the same issues on our cryogenic electron microscope controller machine. Also everything Illumina ships.

Scientific IT is its own special kind of under/unsupported hell.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So this does not work as you might expect on Intel NUCs, at least the ones I have. This pulls the motherboard serial number, but the one on the sticker outside is the chassis serial number. :suicide:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

I asked because I've seen that in cases where you get a warranty repair but the tech is an idiot that can't read. HP in particular provides very clear instructions on updating the sn, and a couple other bios data fields when replacing the motherboard.

In your case, the motherboard manufacturer left it so an OEM could insert their own serial number. However, I've literally never seen a single boutique oem that actually does that.

What models/years of HPs ? From about 2012-208 the Elitebook and Elitedesk lines required a serial number 'branding' process that involved multiple, model specific, thumb drives to get all the information properly saved on a new logic board. I';ve heard they've taken big steps towards being as simple to brand a blank logic board as Apple has been, but I haven't actually done HP hardware support for over a year.

Sheep posted:

Scientific IT is its own special kind of under/unsupported hell.

Yes, yes it is.

It really helps that the next step to a cancer cure is coming out of one of the labs I support.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I don't think that's available on the Windows 98 machines running our >1 000 000 € electron microprobe.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can't wait until my contract is converted so I can start telling system administrators and DBAs no when they ask me to do poo poo like changing the priority of tickets that they are working on and I can see they currently have open. I'm not a goddamn secretary. Or when they ask for a ticket number when it's the first loving thing in their queue, so if they put the slightest amount of effort in they would see it.

Yes, they do more in-depth work than me. I also do 10x the tickets, and make phone calls to the on-call people when it looks like something has blown up because nobody bothered putting an entry into our change calendar that they are bringing systems down, and I'm training a new employee at the same time who needs me to confirm courses of action like "try calling the on-call again if he doesn't pick up."

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 16, 2020

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I wish my work would let me get a C/AL dev license so I could extend Dynamics NAV to interface better with Excel and apps I'm building to manage our jobs.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Woo yeah let's play this game
code:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber
Default string
Thanks Gigabyte, the older boards don't even know their own model number let alone the BIOS version

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am guessing we are a bit antiquated in that we use a spreadsheet as an asset register. I'm ok with this because we only do a limited amount of data capture.

We even had a meeting where we agreed the minimum data set per asset will be X, Y & Z so that we could demonstrate consistentsy and put it into policy, I think it might have been in prep for ISO27001 but I cant remember.

It was at about this point where I said, given that we are now all working on Office365 this means we all have a shared platform where we can put our asset registers and seeing as we are now agreed on the data we capture why dont we consolidate our 5 asset registers into 1 list...

but no, instead, we are about to cancel a contract and I can't find the last 4 assets to return because they are on someone elses register :@

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You are supposed to use

code:
wmic systemenclosure get serialnumber
As "bios" tends to not be properly populated on multiple brands(lenovo for instance has different codes on bios or system enclosure)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamnit why must people be so useless with their equipment.

Game Dev kit usually comes in a fair few pieces where mostly all of it is required, so if I give you a box fresh pack on Friday and on Monday you ask me requesting a power adaptor for it, I'm going to enquire what the gently caress happened to the one I given you.

Same goes for anyone who poaches equipment from other staff or leavers, just loving ask if you want/need something.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

angry armadillo posted:

I am guessing we are a bit antiquated in that we use a spreadsheet as an asset register. I'm ok with this because we only do a limited amount of data capture.

We even had a meeting where we agreed the minimum data set per asset will be X, Y & Z so that we could demonstrate consistentsy and put it into policy, I think it might have been in prep for ISO27001 but I cant remember.

It was at about this point where I said, given that we are now all working on Office365 this means we all have a shared platform where we can put our asset registers and seeing as we are now agreed on the data we capture why dont we consolidate our 5 asset registers into 1 list...

but no, instead, we are about to cancel a contract and I can't find the last 4 assets to return because they are on someone elses register :@

There are free asset management systems out there, I can't think of a good reason not to use them. (Snipe-it for instance)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Super Slash posted:

Same goes for anyone who poaches equipment from other staff or leavers, just loving ask if you want/need something.

I work for a multi-billion dollar multinational that was apparently founded on the principle of poaching from leavers and movers. It saves the staffing and floorspace on maintaining inventories, and encourages initiative on the part of new hires and poorly-funded groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Super Slash posted:

The circling vultures is a time-honored tradition of your last day.