Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Good day at the pawnshop, picked up the following

Sansamp Bass Driver, working and no issues

Gibson hard case for Les Paul. I've heard it called a Concept Case or Anniversary case and that they were only made for one year. All I know is it fits a Les Paul and was cheap. Bought from the same shop I got my Chibson Black Beauty, and more than likely is the case it came into the store inside. Back inside it now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Scored and scored again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When the weather gets nice, I'm going portable.

This was my intention last year with the Traps A400 portable drum kit I picked up but it proved to be a bit too heavy to carry across the street to the park. This one is significantly lighter, although taking into account hardware it's still probably going to be two trips across the road. Even if it stays in my room hopefully I can use it to record some breakbeats of my own and experiment with the microphones I have but never loving use. I only dabble in guitar and bass but the Pignose will be useful in getting friends out to jam.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After talking this amp up forever I put my money where my mouth is and bought an Ampeg VL-502 loaded with EL34s (soon to be KT88s).

It’s a JCM 800 with more gain stages, FAC-like Orange tone control, master volume, built-in attenuator, spring reverb, fx loop (can be bridged for moar gain), etc. just absolutely balls-out saturated Marshall fury that can be scaled back to usable cleans on channel 1. Preamp control acts like a guitar volume knob up to a point and then you are actually boosting the preamp. The master volume is handy not just for the obvious volume control but, again beyond a certain point, allows you to dial in the power tube saturation from sedate to shaggy caveman/fuzz-like.

Pairs nicely with:

I am borrowing the TS as I do not make a habit of spending $350 for a mid-boost.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes. I love that amp. If I had room for a 1/2 stack that would be on top.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had an Ampeg GVT15-112 for a while and I loved it. I mean, granted, that isn't anything CLOSE to this beast, but for quality and usable tone, it's hard to beat an Ampeg of any size, price, or configuration.

I don't even remember what I traded it for anymore, though, which is odd and arguably sad.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rickiep00h posted:

I had an Ampeg GVT15-112 for a while and I loved it. I mean, granted, that isn't anything CLOSE to this beast, but for quality and usable tone, it's hard to beat an Ampeg of any size, price, or configuration.

I don't even remember what I traded it for anymore, though, which is odd and arguably sad.

That is a great amp: two Fender gain stages with a higher-headroom version of the Fender long tail pair. I bet it was a great pedal platform.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twas.

I have a soft spot for really clean amps; my previous main rig was a JC-120. Now I'm down to an Eleven Rack and while being flexible, it's just not as fun.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Friedman JJ-100, the Jerry Cantrell signature, Worshipper 4x12 and 2x15 cabs. I'm in love, it sounds absolutely insane.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
WOW

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Whoa

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That’s fully sick. Also, you must fuckin’ hate your neighbors.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hell yes. That JJ is supposed to sound incredible.

What speakers are in that 4x12?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Both cabs loaded with Ted Weber speakers, not sure of the models, but I’ll find out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you know the kinds of sick, depraved poo poo I’d do for that amp and cabs? :ohdear:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Both cabs loaded with Ted Weber speakers, not sure of the models, but I’ll find out.

Cool!

What made you decide to go with these cabs instead of Friedman/Mesa/Orange cabs or any other ones?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The Worshipper guys have helped me a lot over the years, and they make kick rear end cabs. We're gonna fix up my bass cab next week with the same grill cloth, and some new speakers, I'll definitely post a picture of both of them together.

As for other cabs, I enjoy the Orange cabs, and Mesa, but custom cabs end up sounding a bit different then the same ol same ol, I get to directly support my friends, and they're one of a kind.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Picked up a MarkBass Super Synth off reverb for a good price. Definitely going to have to spend a good bit of time tweaking, especially in the software. But it's got some good/serviceable sounds right out of the box. At least, I think these are the default presets... Being used, I'm not sure if the previous owner made any tweaks. Still, it's nice to have a good bass synth again :)

Although if I'm being honest, it really just makes me pine for a FutureImpact v3... but I can't exactly drop $350 on one just yet.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Where'd I put my hair spray and leather pants?

1984 Hondo 781 Deluxe in the "EXP" finish, which is a holographic paper with a clear coat over it. Took three pieces for the width, and with visible seams.

It has a crack in the finish that runs from the bridge up one of the edges and a small one off the neck pocket, but they should be fine.

Ii also came with its original hard case, which is pretty nice. A case to fit an explorer would cost me about as much as what I paid for the combo. Has the cheap tuners that everything made in Korea in the 80s and 90s came with, one replaced. Going to check what I have in my parts box, I have hated this type of tuner for 30 years.

And adding a pic in the right light for the top

widefault fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 30, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That guitar is awesome.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That is tacky in all the right ways, I absolutely love it!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly throw an EMG-81 in it with some knurled chrome control knobs like the tele-style cover demands and I'd play that.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They did come new with Tele style knobs, I have a set in my parts box I need to find. The pickup reads 7.7K and doesn't sound too bad. Can't really justify changing it.

Didn't find my spare set of tuners, so I must have used them on something already. I did end up changing the bridge saddles due to the rusted and stripped screws, but then snapped a string from a burr on the high-E tuner.

Also trying to figure out how you put a strap on an Explorer and keep it from wanting to tilt away from your body. Step one is lose weight so my gut doesn't help.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

rickiep00h posted:

Honestly throw an EMG-81 in it with some knurled chrome control knobs like the tele-style cover demands and I'd play that.

Or an EMG-85. I know it's "neck position" pickup but I like it more in the bridge for everything except death metal. And even then it's not that bad. (It was actually designed as a bridge pickup back in the day IIRC.)

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This one is not mine, but I paid for it

Likely kit guitar with a single P90 and a fixed ugly neck break.

Action on the high end and not able to be lowered due to P90 being pretty tall. Could probably change the P90's cover to a neck one and gain a little, but since there's a slight hump at the 9th fret where the break is I don't know if I could go lower. That said, it plays okay as is, and since it is destined to be a wall hanger in a "rat rod" man cave it's not a big deal.

Now I need to figure out what to paint and pinstripe on it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got a wind controller for cheap last week and I just can't put it down. :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So Math posted:

Oh sweet I’ve been wanting one but they always seem too expensive combined with my reluctance to stick someone else’s flute in my mouth, usually it’s my own

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Do you give lessons? :wiggle:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So Math posted:

Nice! Been looking at these and others on and off, but would prefer one with more traditional saxophone fingering. The Rolands look nice but are kind of pricey. Yamaha WX controllers pop up now and then but not sure how wise it is getting older tech like that....

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My photography still sucks but I got a black Jackson King V JS32, a DiMarzio Tone Zone and a Hoetone Soul Press. I plan to pull out all the existing electronics, but I might use the switch since I do have many wires on the one pickup.

It already sounds pretty good so I don't know why I'm loving with it now.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Finally got my new amp.

Cornell Amps Romany 10. Think it really nails that Fender tweed sound at manageable sound levels.

https://soundcloud.com/user-591707623/start-me-up-test-track/s-1zWix

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Pulled the trigger on a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb yesterday:

It’s a fully digitally modelled version of a deluxe reverb, with a neodymium speaker, “power attenuation” (master volume), and an XLR out with mic’d cam sims. Overall it’s about 24lbs, and honestly seemed like it was as heavy as the lean back stand I picked up at the same time.

Feels like a huge step up from my Orange Crush 20. It doesn’t have any setting options like a Katana, but for a one trick pony it seems to do that one trick really well.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I've heard really good things about these. Glad you like it!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's not mine, sadly...

But today, I got to play on John Entwhistle's old Danelectro Coral Sitar guitar....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 17, 2020

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One for myself

Hondo Professional, made in Japan by Tokai, copy of the Fender Lead 1 and arguably better quality. Factory EVH Bumblebee inspired finish that covers the front AND back. At some point it had a hole drilled for a jack on the side, which is filled in now, so I'm going to try to touch that up a little if I can find a good match to the yellow. It's a little more orange in real life.

Pickup is two single coils back to back acting as a humbucker. Three way switching; neck coil, both, bridge coil, and then a phase switch for humbucker mode.

Tuned it up and played a little and it sounds quite good, plays okay, but is in serious need of new strings. Now I need to get one of the Lead II copies.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I'm in Hawaii and about to buy this. Give me a reason why I shouldn't. Says it's laminated mahogany. Feels nice overall but I know gently caress all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TraderStav posted:

I'm in Hawaii and about to buy this. Give me a reason why I shouldn't. Says it's laminated mahogany. Feels nice overall but I know gently caress all.

You shouldn't, because I now want to go to Hawaii and buy that drat thing right now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TraderStav posted:

If you don't purchase it, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I want it!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Domo-Lele acquired