Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am honestly shocked there hasn't been an attempt to revive the El Camino or the Ranchero. I'd buy one and so would thousands of other men with terrible taste.

They tried to bring the Holden Maloo over as a Pontiac G8 ute, but Pontiac got shuttered a few months before they could. Hasn't stopped people from turning totaled G8s into them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had an Australian neighbor that rebadged his Pontiac G8 as a Holden which I guess was kinda neat and more appropriate than some Californian doing it.

If anyone tried to make a ute in the US today it would look like someone took a sawzall to a generic crossover. Be a hero and convert an older Volvo or BMW wagon to a ute.

https://www.smythkitcars.com/

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am honestly shocked there hasn't been an attempt to revive the El Camino or the Ranchero. I'd buy one and so would thousands of other men with terrible taste.

I've witnessed a good friend of mine own three El Caminos over the past decade or so.

Turns out his dad has one too, so it must be an inherited bad taste kind of thing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the only holden utes i care about are the people who were "holden utes" for Jeffery Epstein, send post

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I briefly got my hopes up when Chevy was using a ute rear end on a Corvette "cab" but ended up they were trying to disguise their mid-engine test work.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

the only holden utes i care about are the people who were "holden utes" for Jeffery Epstein, send post

What?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The pun is that “youths” can sound like “utes”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BAD1k

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Got it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's a crying shame you guys never got to experience the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo ute.

4L inline six intercooled turbo (and a decent sized turbo) that needed a few hundred bux in upgrades (valve springs and oil pump?) to make 500WHP, more if you put the later model I6T in it. In a ute.

They were mostly used to do crazy barely controlled donuts in burnout competitions, as having that much power and that little weight over the rear end makes for... interesting handling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doc Hawkins posted:

:frogout:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

120,000 people voted in the 2016 colorado primary.

11,400 people went to see Bernie in Denver last night

bengy81
May 8, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

120,000 people voted in the 2016 colorado primary.

11,400 people went to see Bernie in Denver last night

Channel 4 news was trying to run with the "Bernie gonna have a hard time with Moderates" story last night. Which I guess is true, but they didn't even bother mentioning how massive his rally was. Can't wait for the Mayo Pete rally to dominate CPR coverage for the next month.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Turmp will be in Colorado on the 20th.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Turmp will be in Colorado on the 20th.

I've got a job that day in the Springs, gonna be a mad scramble to be out of town by 2:00. I'm assuming he will fly into Peterson, but I've never been around when he does his thing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Godholio posted:

I just made instant pot mac & cheese and I might just eat this exclusively until I die.

Actually shredding cheese instead of using bagged pre-shredded stuff is as game-changing as the internet suggests.

Edit: gently caress, I thought you said you cooked on another engine. What did you doooo?

Totally correct but the instapot isn't really necessary and you'll probably get better noodles without it. Try this : https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think last time he came through they dog & ponied his rear end around town on the main drags (Platte, Powers, I-25) and he mostly hosed off to the AFA. I don't remember there being traffic issues last time, but I'm sure there will be plenty this time.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Instant pot macaroni and cheese sounds like it's trying to justify the instant pot without the instant pot offering any utility beyond what a $12 rice cooker would have. You don't need a pressure cooker to make pasta and italian nonnas everywhere are weeping and shaking their folded hands over your mushy macaroni. I'm sure it's good, and there are many uses for an instant pot or a pressure cooker generally speaking, but mac&cheese seems like a bit of a stretch

but yeah shredding your own cheese is better and way way cheaper

Godholio posted:

I just made instant pot mac & cheese and I might just eat this exclusively until I die.

Actually shredding cheese instead of using bagged pre-shredded stuff is as game-changing as the internet suggests.

Edit: gently caress, I thought you said you cooked on another engine. What did you doooo?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Instant pot macaroni and cheese sounds like it's trying to justify the instant pot without the instant pot offering any utility beyond what a $12 rice cooker would have. You don't need a pressure cooker to make pasta and italian nonnas everywhere are weeping and shaking their folded hands over your mushy macaroni. I'm sure it's good, and there are many uses for an instant pot or a pressure cooker generally speaking, but mac&cheese seems like a bit of a stretch

but yeah shredding your own cheese is better and way way cheaper

Instapot spaghetti has been a fad for awhile now, I think it comes out like Chef Boyardee, but I guess that's the appeal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the rice cooker adding to macaroni that a saucepan isn’t?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

this post is american as gently caress

have you never heard of a grater?

also strictly speaking it was the gearbox i cooked, apparently if you don't bother to do any sort of preventive maintenance bad poo poo happens :shrug:

Pipes are meant to be hollow

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ nice work. I appreciate tearing poo poo up.

Box mac and cheese for life.

I've been a smoker for more than 20 years now, I can't taste a drat thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Box mac and cheese for life.

Throw in some sriracha and tuna. That's the poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Platystemon posted:

What is the rice cooker adding to macaroni that a saucepan isn’t?

Nothing. But I supposed one argument would be that the instapot is a countertop electrical device you could pop on and walk away from. Mac is not that hard to make from scratch, and even easier with canned evaporated milk on the stovetop. I think doing it in an instant pot just makes you feel better about buying an instant pot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I usually toss tuna or chopped down chicken breast in anyhow. Use crushed red peppers for some spice, I don't care for sriracha after all those years bar cooking. Still haven't eaten wings since I worked at hooters like, six years ago now. Love chicken, hate wings. Five years of cooking them turned me off for a lifetime.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve had an insta pot for years and I mostly use it as a slow cooker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cleaning an instant pot does not make one feel better about buying an instant pot.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Blue box with some Costco hot dogs, like a quarter of a brick of sharp cheddar and some Tabasco mixed in.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Tabasco? Come on man, respect yourself. At least get Frank’s Red or Crystal

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Platystemon posted:

Cleaning an instant pot does not make one feel better about buying an instant pot.

Mine cleans pretty easily, even when I nuke stuff to the bottom I just give it a soak and a quick scrub clears it out. Mine is pretty indispensable as a college student.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve had an insta pot for years and I mostly use it as a slow cooker

Best use of insta pot is pick one of each: chuck/chicken thighs/chickpeas, stock/can of tomatoes, dealer's choice of aromatics, flavors and bonus veggies. 30-40 minutes on high pressure gives you a pretty decent lazy stew that comes together in like five minutes of active work.

Also making super high gelatin stock.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Buncha useless cooks itt

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The bowl is dishwasher safe if you have one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's hard about cleaning an instant pot?

I use mine 90% of the time for making stock, making quick chickpeas for hummus or chana masala or for using it just as a rice cooker since my old rice cooker died and the IP is good enough when I don't want to do it on the stovetop. It's quite useful for brown rice in that regard, just 12m on high pressure.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Buncha useless cooks itt

I'm a lazy cook, but I use my stovetop and oven fairly regularly now. I don't mind cooking but I'd rather be lazier.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Making sauce and pasta in an instapot should be illegal. The gently caress.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

bloops posted:

Making sauce and pasta in an instapot should be illegal. The gently caress.

I could see a sauce being pretty good and then doing the pasta separately and tossing it in

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m sorry no. It is absolutely integral that aromatics are sweated and infused in olive oil before pouring in whole, unpeeled tomatoes. Yes you can do that in an instapot but that is still terrible as you cannot taste and thicken a sauce as a good steel pan or Dutch oven allows.

Like if that time commitment of an hour or so is too much then buy a decent jar sauce like Rao’s.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Use pressure cooker to make ragu napolitano

Cook noodles separately

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

rifles posted:

I could see a sauce being pretty good and then doing the pasta separately and tossing it in

Buy a loving pot or better yet a cast iron dutch oven

You moran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Goddamnit you are actually upsetting me