Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I've gotten extremely lucky with my 30-month-old. He goes down at 1, and he can sleep until 3 or until 5. As long as he gets his Blippi (gently caress that color-clashing nutcase) around 7:30, he'll go to bed at 8.

EDIT: I've never been so loving scared in my whole life.

I've got a 7 year old first-grade boy with very high functioning autism, a 5 year old kindergarten boy with high functioning autism, a 4 year old girl, and a 2 year old boy.

5YO takes the ESE bus to school and home every day, right from our driveway. I and the 3 others were in the driveway waiting for him today since he's the second to get home from school. We were all down the bottom of the driveway, said bye to his bus driver and aide, etc.

Turn around and head back up the driveway and see 3 of 4. Panic sets in. I run around the side of the house, I run around the vehicles to see if she's just around and not responding when I called her 3 times. Nothing. Start to feel like I'm going to poo poo myself. 5YO goes inside and says she's in there.

4YO was inside to surprise 5YO. Instead, I get a heart attack and STILL feeling like I'm going to throw up. Half an hour later.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Speaking of Blippi, be sure to Google his background. It's...interesting. :metis:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Organic Lube User posted:

Speaking of Blippi, be sure to Google his background. It's...interesting. :metis:

lol, that's one way to put it
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/blippi-youtube-kids-star-harlem-shake-poop

even then, Blippi is still way better than 90% of other youtube content

I kinda admire the guy's work ethic though

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My daughter (4.5yo) has started noticing earrings and has expressed interest in getting her own. She understands that they go through holes that are made in your ears, and my wife has showed her how they work. I know parents choose to get earrings for their daughters much younger. We're trying to teach ownership of one's body and personal choices, so we didn't want to make that choice for her. I'm wondering if 4.5 is old enough to make that kind of decision on her own.

My wife didn't get her ears pierced for the first time until she was ~12, and then proceeded to pierce them 2 more times, and got her belly button and nose pierced. We're both totally cool with piercings, but we want it to be her choice. I'm probably way overthinking this and we should just let her do it since she's expressing interest, and we can show her that she can make "grown-up" choices on her own even when she's 4.5.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My daughter (4.5yo) has started noticing earrings and has expressed interest in getting her own. She understands that they go through holes that are made in your ears, and my wife has showed her how they work. I know parents choose to get earrings for their daughters much younger. We're trying to teach ownership of one's body and personal choices, so we didn't want to make that choice for her. I'm wondering if 4.5 is old enough to make that kind of decision on her own.

My wife didn't get her ears pierced for the first time until she was ~12, and then proceeded to pierce them 2 more times, and got her belly button and nose pierced. We're both totally cool with piercings, but we want it to be her choice. I'm probably way overthinking this and we should just let her do it since she's expressing interest, and we can show her that she can make "grown-up" choices on her own even when she's 4.5.

I'd be fine with it. My original idea was that, after 6, she'd be able to choose to have one. But around 4/5 I felt like she had a good understanding and would be ok with it if she made the choice. She's 5.5 now and has started to express interesting but isn't dying to just yet. But if she was I'd be totally fine with it.

My mother in law wanted them pierced at 6 months old and half-joked she was just going to do it anyway when we weren't looking.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
A tactic I do with myself when choosing to get a new tattoo is to commit to it, then wait several months to see if I still think it's a good idea. Would that work in her case? Maybe give her a specific date to look forward to, like a birthday?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Make sure she knows it's going to hurt.

I know of some kids that walked around with one ear pierced for s while because they couldn't imagine what it would feel like and after one ear was done they noped out.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

There are places that do both ears at the same time. Go to a tattoo parlor or reputable jeweler, not the mall. I think if she’s old enough to be cooperative with the aftercare then she’s ready.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Also, I’m pretty sure you can still find clip-on earrings at Claires kinds of stores. She may just want some fun sparkly baubles and would be satisfied with that. Putting off the piercing would be kind of nice because aftercare/’do not touch’ can be tricky and, as other said, it’ll hurt.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I could take care of them myself. I think I got them done as a 7th birthday present?

Edit: Part of it isn't just taking care of it right after its done. They do have to heal which means its going to itch / be uncomfortable. If your kid is too young they might mess with them or take them out by accident.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Oh, my wife and I found that already. I already couldn't stand him, and I can never see him the same anymore.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Alterian posted:

I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I could take care of them myself. I think I got them done as a 7th birthday present?

Edit: Part of it isn't just taking care of it right after its done. They do have to heal which means its going to itch / be uncomfortable. If your kid is too young they might mess with them or take them out by accident.

The aftercare was the reason we ended up taking our then 4.5 year olds earrings out a few weeks after they were pierced. She wouldnt let us properly clean them at all and then her baby brother yanked on one. I am amazed she didn't actually get an infection because those earrings were gross as hell when we took them out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd read a few posts here about the fog of memory about those days caring for an infant through babyhood, and the same phenomenon has happened to me. I don't remember much at all about the first couple years of my kid's life, because it was my first time, I didn't sleep much, and she seemed to be changing as a person about every week. It went in that fast cliched way.

Personal recommendation here: record some audio-only of your kid now and then. Use a good mic if you can. I've seen the pictures and videos, and they have a way of flattening 'real' memory over time, as if replacing the memories themselves. Nothing for me is more evocative than the fleeting audio I've recorded of my daughter sporadically through her babyhood and toddler days.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamn swings and roundabouts...

This afternoon our 4 year old comes into the front room wanting his hands dried, seems they're a bit sticky and smell sweet and flowery, oh no... so I go into the kitchen and of course there's a little puddle of liquid detergent on the floor.

However here is the rub; it appears he loaded dirty clothes into the washer, opened the cabinet under the sink and poured the liquid into one of the little rubber pods we use, popped that into the washer so it was ready to go. Mummy and me were quite proud of him doing that, fortunately he loving loves doing the laundry and the dish washer but this is the first he did the whole hog (kinda thankful he didn't try to load any fabric softener though).

Then comes this evening, I just finished bathing him and helping out the tub so I can give him a quick rub down with a towel. Normally he waits but tonight he decided to bolt out the bathroom, I tried to stick my leg out reverse leg sweep style to try and block him but he knocked me off balance so I automatically grabbed the nearest thing to not fall down... it was the heated towel rail, really hoping to not go to work with a burn tomorrow.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I'm reading a few pages ago and got reminded of one of my favorite stories, and then one of my scariest.

The funny one: When my now-5 year old was just over a year old, he had come down with something. My wife was playing with him on the bed and all of a sudden, he projectile-vomited all over her. This, in turn, made her barf all over him. The smell caused my (now 7) 2 year old to puke on the floor, which in turn made me throw up. We were all laughing so hard that the grown-ups threw up again. It was simultaneously the grossest and most hilarious thing to us.

The scary one: When my now-5 year old of the previous story was learning to sit up, my wife and I had a box spring and mattress on the floor. They were thin, but it was still a good 12 inches to the floor from our bed. She was changing his diaper and as she finished and turned to me to say something, he tried to sit up and ended rolling off the bed and onto the floor. You could hear the thud of his head hitting the floor under the thin carpet.

I'm actually feeling a panic response writing this, that's how scared I was. I immediately picked him up and he was acting extremely sleepy, and lost consciousness on my shoulder. He was completely unresponsive for a couple of minutes and that's when we called the ambulance. We bundled him the gently caress up, left our older child with grandma (who lives with us), and went outside to wait in the falling Maryland snow at the end of the driveway. It was an agonizing loving wait as we hoped the cold air would rouse him, and eventually he did, right as the ambulance pulled up. We still took him to the hospital and stayed overnight for observation. Nothing was wrong, thankfully.

You know, the funny thing is that even though brain trauma doesn't cause autism, I still wonder sometimes. He never seemed the same after that. He's been diagnosed by a psychologist and a neurologist, but I wonder if it's not brain trauma from that fall. It's made me a much more cautious parent, but I don't like the cost if that's what it is.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Fool posted:

I kinda admire the guy's work ethic though
Yeah.

Not every entertainer would go on a live tour and have someone else play the character.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey it’s me, the guy who’s 15-month-old hasn’t been taking his one nap until like 3 pm the last few days and then falling back asleep at 7 pm and sleeping through the night.

Here’s one for ya: he woke up at 6:15 am, we tried putting him down several times for a nap and he seemed tired-no luck. He finally went down at 4 pm and now it’s 7:10 and he’s still sleeping.

Wtf should we do? Wake him up, change him and put him back down or just accept the fact he’s probably going to wake up at an odd time and either be wired, wet the bed, or go back to sleep (or some combo of those)?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Hey it’s me, the guy who’s 15-month-old hasn’t been taking his one nap until like 3 pm the last few days and then falling back asleep at 7 pm and sleeping through the night.

Here’s one for ya: he woke up at 6:15 am, we tried putting him down several times for a nap and he seemed tired-no luck. He finally went down at 4 pm and now it’s 7:10 and he’s still sleeping.

Wtf should we do? Wake him up, change him and put him back down or just accept the fact he’s probably going to wake up at an odd time and either be wired, wet the bed, or go back to sleep (or some combo of those)?

Oof, that's a tough one. We've had that before and our kids are pretty much the same age (mine is 16 months on the 20th). She eats dinner at 6 pm and we wake her up for it if she's asleep. Mostly because she needs to have an hour break in her docband for a skin check and wash her hair. 9/10 times she is face planting into her dinner, yawning during the bath, then no protests when put into her crib at 7 (normal bed time).

But we have to do the skin check and hair wash, so we really don't know what would happen if we didn't wake her up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sarah posted:

Oof, that's a tough one. We've had that before and our kids are pretty much the same age (mine is 16 months on the 20th). She eats dinner at 6 pm and we wake her up for it if she's asleep. Mostly because she needs to have an hour break in her docband for a skin check and wash her hair. 9/10 times she is face planting into her dinner, yawning during the bath, then no protests when put into her crib at 7 (normal bed time).

But we have to do the skin check and hair wash, so we really don't know what would happen if we didn't wake her up.

Yeah I went in around 7:25 and turned his noise machine down but left the light off-he woke up pretty soon after that. We fed him dinner and gave him a bath and now it’s 8:20 and we’re trying to put him back down.

He’s had a few weird naps happen where he’s slept until around dinner time (5:30/6:00) but he’s gone back down right around his normal bed time and it didn’t seem to mess anything up. Really hoping the same thing happens tonight.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Yeah I went in around 7:25 and turned his noise machine down but left the light off-he woke up pretty soon after that. We fed him dinner and gave him a bath and now it’s 8:20 and we’re trying to put him back down.

He’s had a few weird naps happen where he’s slept until around dinner time (5:30/6:00) but he’s gone back down right around his normal bed time and it didn’t seem to mess anything up. Really hoping the same thing happens tonight.

When she naps like that we just chalk it up to her being in a growth spurt. It's been like that lately. She's napping so much more than she ever used to. She used to be the baby that only took one nap a day and it was only for 15-20 min. We know she's growth spurting because we have to go in for the docband check ups and she's had tremendous growth for her age in the last month. I hope when we go in Friday that she is still going so she won't be in the band much longer.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Fuckkkkk, posting from guilt ridden bad dad-ville, depressive rant incoming....

We finally had a get together with some aunts and uncles from my side of the family with our 6 month old and I completely blew the hand-washing, no kissing rules that my wife and I talked about a million times that we both think are really important

Some of it was because it happened fast (one or two snuck a cheek kiss), but honestly more often than not I just felt completely powerless, like I was back to being a 6 year old, as one aunt passed him to another - and I just made excuses in my head about how it was probably ok instead of asking them to clean up.

This is magnified because my wife has anxiety about the little guy getting sick and really trusted me to cover this, so it was a big shock and disappointment to her as well that I folded, and now she feels guilty she didn’t say anything, so the dominos just keep falling...I’m basically just praying he doesn’t get sick so this already valuable lesson can kind of end there, but it bothers me so much because it’s more than just him possibly getting sick, it’s that I couldn’t just speak up around my family over something so stupid and simple (“oh please just wash your hands first, it’s flu season!”)

I grew up in a very passive aggressive, don’t rock the boat, type of family and so the more I think about it the more I realize how often in my life I make excuses for other people or try to please them. And it’s one thing to be giving in when you are single or with a partner, but the fact that I couldn’t do it with my own child is making me physically ill...goddamn parenthood really does put you out there and expose you

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I wouldn’t beat yourself up too much. I spoke up with my kid and hand washing, but probably not as much as I should have as time went on. It definitely toned down a bit as time went on since he’s I realized he’s exposed to so much, not to make an excuse-but definitely control what you can.

I’d say the bell curve for speaking up definitely peaked after the first time he got sick. Once you put your kid and your wife/self through a few days of him being sick, you’ll probably go on the defense nice and quick since you want to endure that episode as little as possible. My wife also told me of a friend who’s grandpa gave the kid a kiss on the lips and it turns out he was sick, so the infant got RSV.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 17, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's not the end of the world with a 6 month old either. He's old enough to start being exposed to poo poo. That is around the point I gave up on obsessive hand washing and just went to common sense, don't be dirty when touching the baby rules.

I find in social situations it's easier to just come out swinging and set expectations before anything even starts. So instead of having to yell at people to stop licking your baby, you can open up with a polite, please wash your hands and don't kiss the baby immediately before anything even happens, so you're not forced to single anyone out. If they ignore your request after that, you have bigger problems because that family member is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Renegret posted:

It's not the end of the world with a 6 month old either. He's old enough to start being exposed to poo poo. That is around the point I gave up on obsessive hand washing and just went to common sense, don't be dirty when touching the baby rules.

I find in social situations it's easier to just come out swinging and set expectations before anything even starts. So instead of having to yell at people to stop licking your baby, you can open up with a polite, please wash your hands and don't kiss the baby immediately before anything even happens, so you're not forced to single anyone out. If they ignore your request after that, you have bigger problems because that family member is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I tell myself that the doctor just told us he was a healthy guy and when he brought up flu he said just make sure no one with a fever in the last 24hrs is around him and didn’t mention much else, so I try to ease my mind with that, but it still sucks.

It was a bit tougher to get the word out up front because people trickled in as opposed to everyone being there when we came in. We also tried to enlist my parents help ahead of time by reminding them no kissing and washing hands but I guess they weren’t looking out for it...anyways he seems ok so far today, but every hour is agonizing. But really just no more excuses, something so simple is having such an effect I can’t tell if I’m crazy or this is just parent life haha

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
The kissing thing may not be a health concern, but those same aunts will soon be the ones forcing hugs and kisses on your toddler while he pushes them away and cries. Bodily autonomy is important to me, so I found that setting an example with kissing was a good way of setting the precedent that my son’s body is not public property and that nobody should touch him without his consent.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The best part of having a kid is that you have an excuse to show up last and leave first. gently caress youuuuuuuuuu family, I don't want to see you anyway.

I'm also in the camp of, if someone at that party was sick, no amount of hand washing and not touching the baby is going to prevent them from contaminating everybody and everything at that party. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much, if someone was sick, your family would've gotten it anyway.

That probably doesn't help much, but I have a weird outlook on life where I don't waste my time worry about things I have no control over. What's done is done, if you're going to obsess over it then you're only hurting yourself at this point. You can't live your life with putting the baby in the bubble, they have to go out and be exposed to the world. And when you do that, they'll be exposed to some bugs, but that's fine just part of life. We learn to deal with it when it happens. I don't regret our trip to the aquarium one bit, the trip where the baby caught a stomach bug and gave it to mommy and daddy, which led up to one of the worst days of my life. I poo poo my pants twice that day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

in_cahoots posted:

The kissing thing may not be a health concern, but those same aunts will soon be the ones forcing hugs and kisses on your toddler while he pushes them away and cries. Bodily autonomy is important to me, so I found that setting an example with kissing was a good way of setting the precedent that my son’s body is not public property and that nobody should touch him without his consent.

Kiddo got a giant sty that, over the course of two days, got so badly infected that the infection spread across his entire eye and earned us an emergency referral to see an ophthalmologist.

The treatment for this thing is absolutely miserable. He needs a heat compress 8x a day that he refuses to cooperate with, so we do it while he naps, an oral antibiotic, and a steroid/antibiotic cream that's so intense that the pediatrician won't touch the stuff. The cream burns, and it's supposed to go into the pocket underneath his lower eyelid. The only way we can put it on is by having me force the baby down and hold him steady as my wife rubs that horrible cream into his god drat eye socket, as he struggles and screams the entire time. It breaks my heart every time, and we have to do it twice a day.

It just feels so wrong to restrain him like that but we don't have much of a choice..

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
As someone who suffered from the same first-baby-anxiety (like real honest to god anxiety) and lesser so on the second, have you thought about talking to someone like a therapist? It's worked wonders for me and I suffered that near debilitating anxiety. It is absolutely not healthy and, like others have said, he'll most likely be fine and if he's not... modern medicine is awesome and he'll get great care!

Eventually, even when your kid is older, that anxiety is going to negatively affect your relationship with him. I would try to nip that in the bud before it takes a deeper hold if you can!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Also at 6 months that baby is going to put everything in their mouth soon (if they aren’t already) and there is only so much germ control possible with that, crawling, and beyond.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Renegret posted:

Kiddo got a giant sty that, over the course of two days, got so badly infected that the infection spread across his entire eye and earned us an emergency referral to see an ophthalmologist.

The treatment for this thing is absolutely miserable. He needs a heat compress 8x a day that he refuses to cooperate with, so we do it while he naps, an oral antibiotic, and a steroid/antibiotic cream that's so intense that the pediatrician won't touch the stuff. The cream burns, and it's supposed to go into the pocket underneath his lower eyelid. The only way we can put it on is by having me force the baby down and hold him steady as my wife rubs that horrible cream into his god drat eye socket, as he struggles and screams the entire time. It breaks my heart every time, and we have to do it twice a day.

It just feels so wrong to restrain him like that but we don't have much of a choice..

Felt that way when my son got pink eye as a toddler. It was a three person job to get the drops in his eye. I had to practically sit on him and hold his head steady, one person to hold his eye open, and one person to do the drops, with him screaming bloody murder the entire time.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

BonoMan posted:

As someone who suffered from the same first-baby-anxiety (like real honest to god anxiety) and lesser so on the second, have you thought about talking to someone like a therapist? It's worked wonders for me and I suffered that near debilitating anxiety. It is absolutely not healthy and, like others have said, he'll most likely be fine and if he's not... modern medicine is awesome and he'll get great care!

Eventually, even when your kid is older, that anxiety is going to negatively affect your relationship with him. I would try to nip that in the bud before it takes a deeper hold if you can!

Honestly, we are so close to getting help that I can really imagine it, but it always seems just out of reach. We’ve been acutely aware of just how much our mindsets have changed (i.e. amplified) since she first got pregnant and have talked about it. Because we can identify the symptoms, I think we are continually hoping we can identify triggers and manage, but case-in-point, we still end up boxing ourselves into unwinnable situations...it’s just a really difficult decision to make.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You might want to try to get help now before your kid becomes mobile.

Its a constant battle keeping things out of my 18 month old's mouth.
For instance: our house is pretty clean and tidy, but he still manages to find and put shoes and socks in his mouth. I swear that's the first thing he bolts for if he's out of the living room containment area and I glance away for a second.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On a nice related note. I get to work today and notice that one of our employees said she had the flu but took tamiflu over the weekend and is now no longer contagious. And then the air filter people are walking around installing the new filters and one of them is hacking up a lung talking about how sick she is.

What the gently caress is wrong with people? God I hate people.

I'm taking my poo poo and going to work from home.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BonoMan posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people? God I hate people.

Well, if you're in the US, what's wrong is a lot of people not having any real ability to take sick days without losing their jobs.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Crazyweasel posted:

Fuckkkkk, posting from guilt ridden bad dad-ville, depressive rant incoming....

We finally had a get together with some aunts and uncles from my side of the family with our 6 month old and I completely blew the hand-washing, no kissing rules that my wife and I talked about a million times that we both think are really important

Some of it was because it happened fast (one or two snuck a cheek kiss), but honestly more often than not I just felt completely powerless, like I was back to being a 6 year old, as one aunt passed him to another - and I just made excuses in my head about how it was probably ok instead of asking them to clean up.

This is magnified because my wife has anxiety about the little guy getting sick and really trusted me to cover this, so it was a big shock and disappointment to her as well that I folded, and now she feels guilty she didn’t say anything, so the dominos just keep falling...I’m basically just praying he doesn’t get sick so this already valuable lesson can kind of end there, but it bothers me so much because it’s more than just him possibly getting sick, it’s that I couldn’t just speak up around my family over something so stupid and simple (“oh please just wash your hands first, it’s flu season!”)

I grew up in a very passive aggressive, don’t rock the boat, type of family and so the more I think about it the more I realize how often in my life I make excuses for other people or try to please them. And it’s one thing to be giving in when you are single or with a partner, but the fact that I couldn’t do it with my own child is making me physically ill...goddamn parenthood really does put you out there and expose you

I recommend keeping small keychain hand sanitizers on you in various forms. One on your keys, one on the diaper bag, one on your wife's purse (if she carries one), etc. It's a lot easier to say something in the moment by offering them sanitizer you already have handy before handing over baby.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Well, if you're in the US, what's wrong is a lot of people not having any real ability to take sick days without losing their jobs.

Oh most def, but this girl is the longest tenured employee here and can take off whenever needed. She basically runs the place. She's just that classic "I get all my info from Facebook" misinformed person.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sarah posted:

When she naps like that we just chalk it up to her being in a growth spurt. It's been like that lately. She's napping so much more than she ever used to. She used to be the baby that only took one nap a day and it was only for 15-20 min. We know she's growth spurting because we have to go in for the docband check ups and she's had tremendous growth for her age in the last month. I hope when we go in Friday that she is still going so she won't be in the band much longer.

Yeah I’m thinking growth spurt and understanding more of what’s happening around him. He went down around 9 pm without fuss and then up at 6:30 am. We tried pushing his nap today but now he’s been in his crib for an hour with no sign of slowing down. It’s 2:20 now so I’ll probably take him for a walk and try again at 3.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So it looks like the ear infection, after 3 rocephin shots, is creeping back in. This is likely because we need tubes and the way he's feeding at night is just giving him constant infections. We have the ENT scheduled for the morning so we'll go from there.

But dear god... in general his sleeping is terrible. We're cosleeping at the moment because he won't sleep in a crib and we're broken husks of human beings that can't quite muster the courage or energy to do anything different.... but he's also the lightest sleeper ever. He wakes up and feeds all through the night (he's EIGHT MONTHS!) and I just don't know what to do.

Hoping the tubes/ear infections have something to do with that and it'll help solve the problem. But goddamn he's the worst sleeper ever.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Yeah I’m thinking growth spurt and understanding more of what’s happening around him. He went down around 9 pm without fuss and then up at 6:30 am. We tried pushing his nap today but now he’s been in his crib for an hour with no sign of slowing down. It’s 2:20 now so I’ll probably take him for a walk and try again at 3.

We went to the science center today (daycare is closed) and she napped on the way there and when she started to get cranky I took her home. She’s been napping hardcore. I guess that wore her the hell out. I’m going to have to wake her up here in a few minutes. She’s going to be mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmaDilemma
Jul 22, 2019
I miss the infant/toddler days.

Re-learning for myself and then attempting to teach my 10 year old 5th grade math has me so stressed out. I don’t know if I’m just a horrible teacher, or why my child can’t learn this stuff in school, or if he has some kind of learning disability (wouldn’t that have been determined by now?). Just venting and frustrated.