Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Cross post from the painting thread. I'm absolutely in love with the general aesthetic that heresy Alpha Legion has.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

I managed to find the time to paint up the Alpha Legion terminator praetor that I got a few months ago. I'm surprised that I managed to not gently caress up the color transitions on a power sword this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Finished! Man, my camera did not want to show both the vindicator and the marine's face in the same picture. I promise, his face does have detail. It is not just a lumpy potato head.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

JackMann posted:

I promise, his face does have detail. It is not just a lumpy potato head.

Anybody who can make a head not look like a lumpy potato deserves a Golden Daemon in my book, it's part of why I model everybody with helmets whenever it's physically possible.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

I think that's about as good a picture of the face as I'm likely to get.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

JackMann posted:

I think that's about as good a picture of the face as I'm likely to get.

DRIVE ME CLOSER!

Nice job :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Cross post from the painting thread. I'm absolutely in love with the general aesthetic that heresy Alpha Legion has.

This is a cool dude, good work.

By the way, wipe the lense of your camera with a micro fibre cloth, should get rid of the Vaseline effect.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Bee posted:

gently caress, serious? GW better give Purestrains and trucks access to cult creeds down the line, then. Its silly that the most efficient way a Genestealer Cult and run Genestealers is by having a Tyranid (probably Kraken) Patrol pick up the slack there.

That also means there's 0 reason for custom subfactions to lose relic, stratagem, and warlord trait access. It just disincentivizes building Your Dudes, and with only the flimsiest of lore justification.

It's not just them, over half the GSC codex can't benefit from cult creeds. Brood Brothers units make up a quarter of unit entries but can't benefit from creeds, relics, warlord traits, and nearly all character auras or stratagems.

When you have a faction whose main driving theme is a well-coordinated uprising planned over generations, it seems very odd to me that a book with less than 30 datasheets has more than half of them restricted from properly integrating with the rest.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

xtothez posted:

It's not just them, over half the GSC codex can't benefit from cult creeds. Brood Brothers units make up a quarter of unit entries but can't benefit from creeds, relics, warlord traits, and nearly all character auras or stratagems.

When you have a faction whose main driving theme is a well-coordinated uprising planned over generations, it seems very odd to me that a book with less than 30 datasheets has more than half of them restricted from properly integrating with the rest.

I can get them not wanting IG allies to benefit, though I think they got a little overzealous in overcorrecting that by giving them a bad Regiment and halving their CP gains on top of requiring an entirely separate detachment. But for the units already in the GSC codex, its just kind of cruel. Hell, can't Chimeras not even transport Cult infantry anymore?

Frankly if it were up to me, I'd just let IG units count as the chosen cult instead of their regiment, and you'd get half CP only if you mixed the detachment. That way, min-maxing a Brigade out of the best units from Stealers and Guard gives you less CP, but having individual detachments of each simply functions as ordinary. But I'm not a game designer, and I'm sure there are shenanigans (Twisted Helix Bullgryns, perhaps? Or would those just be on par with Aberrants?) that I'm missing with such an off-the-cuff idea.

If they're really nervous about GSC just being used as connective tissue to enable soup, maybe make it so you can only ally IG or Nids, not both.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 16, 2020

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
just waiting for them to drop the chaos daemon codex as a concept and just go with four god-specific codexes/supplements like AoS does.

I mean like TS and Death Guard are sorta that, but more wide-ranging.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

just waiting for them to drop the chaos daemon codex as a concept and just go with four god-specific codexes/supplements like AoS does.

I mean like TS and Death Guard are sorta that, but more wide-ranging.

Putting an end to Chaos Undivided like that would be odd, as would making it so you need 4 codexes to run it instead of just Chaos Marines and/or Chaos Demons. Especially when only, what, half of the Legions are actually dedicated like that?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Bee posted:

Putting an end to Chaos Undivided like that would be odd, as would making it so you need 4 codexes to run it instead of just Chaos Marines and/or Chaos Demons. Especially when only, what, half of the Legions are actually dedicated like that?

That was what I thought. You have 9 traitor legions, 4 of them are dedicated to a Chaos god, the rest are just whatever. You'd end up with 5 books instead of 3 basically Chaos Space Marines for Black legion, Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers and build your own Chaos Warband. Then if you wanted to add demons you'd have to buy whatever book like Nurgle/Deathguard etc.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

gently caress, serious? GW better give Purestrains and trucks access to cult creeds down the line, then.

(Narrator) : they didn't.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Made to order valhallans? Be still my beating wallet :stonk:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
*screams in sisters of battle*

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mordians when???

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have a couple of things I finished up this weekend, first a Tervigon!

Along with a few quick test models, in this case a few drones I had laying around.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
those are stunning. Great work!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

those are stunning. Great work!

Thanks!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Migsula just went ahead and made Primaris scouts using Phobos bodies, Mechanicus backpacks, and various heads, so I copied him.

Seems to work.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

JackMann posted:

No problem!

Here's the guide I followed.

I over did it a little on the pure white “knicks” but I’m pretty happy with it as a first attempt. Thanks again for the guide!

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/I6WRMFE.jpg[/url][/timg]

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 17, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah I've been trying to improve on that effect with my Grey Knights, I found a method that I was OK at doing so I've essentially said gently caress it, I'm going to just paint them all and hope I get better with repetition.

Of course if I do, I'd then need to circle back around and repaint all.thr blades again...

I'm finding it fairly hard to transition well between multiple colours on a small area though. Videos make it look super easy and I get the theory, just in practice struggling to apply it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also, I dread to think of what the made to order valhallans cost.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Those Primaries scouts are pretty cool but it seems like a missed opportunity to use Stormtrooper helmets or berets. The squad leader gets a spike!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Potential BFF posted:

Those Primaries scouts are pretty cool but it seems like a missed opportunity to use Stormtrooper helmets or berets. The squad leader gets a spike!

I feel like Migs is trying to work within the confines of the established Space Marine Scout visual language, which is pretty much guys who look like this:

So, unhelmeted, unhatted, weird goggles sometimes. It’s actually kind of interesting how the Primaris line has now reached the point where you can use a combination of heads from the Reivers, Infiltrators, and Eliminators to pretty much duplicate the default Scout heads, only with good sculpts that don’t look like rear end. (It took me way too long to realize the Incursor visors are just that one Scout head.) And although no “real” scouts are wearing rebreathers, the rebreather masks from the Hellblasters fit right in alongside the rest of those heads.

(The real genius on Migs’ part seems to have been realizing that you can make Phobos bodies look like they’re wearing Scout carapace armor even though they clearly aren’t just by leaving the left pauldrons off and then coloring the vests and shoulders so they stand out, and coloring the limbs in dull tones with matte finish so they fade into the visual background.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I appreciate your dedication to Space Marine sneakmans. Scouts are a cool concept and I always like the idea of infiltration/sabotage missions using only them

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There some rumors floating around last year after book 8 dropped, I want to say from some conversation at WHFest, that FW might use the White Scars' Falcon's Claws (lightning claw assassins) as an excuse to design some 30k-era recon armor. It was going to use this design as the basis:

We still don't have the Falcon's Claws yet so maybe this stuff is still in the works. I hope so, I would absolutely dump my plastic scouts for these guys. Even if I used them only for 40k.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Last year I made mine mixing Reiver bodies, scion heads/backpacks, and deathwatch shotguns (this was before bolter drill)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

Yo which dice are those? The colors rock.

Also are you selling that miracle dice holder?

Sorry been busy. Got the dice locally branded by my FLGS, not sure who made them.

And yeah the dice holder is on my Etsy store:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/SigmariteBoutique

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Safety Factor posted:

There some rumors floating around last year after book 8 dropped, I want to say from some conversation at WHFest, that FW might use the White Scars' Falcon's Claws (lightning claw assassins) as an excuse to design some 30k-era recon armor. It was going to use this design as the basis:

Same vibe

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Last year I made mine mixing Reiver bodies, scion heads/backpacks, and deathwatch shotguns (this was before bolter drill)

These look really great

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

How is it we've got so many goons painting better than GW's own in-house/contract painters for their demo models? Have any of you been contacted by GW to do work for them?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Probably not worth ruining a hobby you enjoy in exchange for 50% or less than your present salary.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Also i'd wager the number of high quality painters for this hobby vastly exceeds the number of positions available at GW for painters, and they probably aren't going to start axing people because some hobbyist is better at painting than a current employee. Who'd want a job that was always on the chopping block if someone comes along and they're poo poo looks better than yours?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Also from what I remember hearing, painting commission jobs are kind of a miserable slog that runs the risk of just removing all the fun of painting.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

How is it we've got so many goons painting better than GW's own in-house/contract painters for their demo models? Have any of you been contacted by GW to do work for them?

GW pays incredibly terribly, and a lot of the people who paint significantly better than the gw studio also paint a lot slower than they do.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DandyLion posted:

I was watching a YouTuber who is I guess a professional miniature painter and basically they said that the 'Eavy Metal style of painting for the box covers and stuff is very different to what really good painters would choose to do by default.

Excluding the centre piece models, the 'Eavy Metal style I think essentially breaks down to: Base coat, wash, layer for main colour, highlights on all edges in one colour, and then a fine edge highlight in an even lighter colour. The edge highlighting is like on every edge too, not just the ones that catch the light.

Basically it's very much got its own style by now, and their painters are essentially tasked with following that style for the most part. From what I can gather GW HQ staff who paint don't paint their own models in the same way they would paint the box art dudes.

This also makes sense, you want the art to be aspirational and look good, but not so crazy good that the buyer has no hope of recreating anything similar.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If every official model shot was painted to the same level as that one Tyranid guy in this thread I think everyone would be too terrified to paint their models because they wouldn't be able to live up to that kind of quality

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

From what I can gather GW HQ staff who paint don't paint their own models in the same way they would paint the box art dudes.

Based on some armies shown off at the Community site the painting quality varies greatly with GW staff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think having officially painted models that appear to be an unattainable quality, will for sure scare people off. I know Infinity has that issue, they went in the opposite direction as GWS and had their models painted to award winning quality to show off on their website. GWS doesn't do anything that can't be done with a paintbrush and their pots of paint, where Infinity uses techniques that require an airbrush and a lot of advance knowledge of painting and airbrushing techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Based on some armies shown off at the Community site the painting quality varies greatly with GW staff.

Yeah but it's also worth noting GW staff is many times larger than the painting team. The painting team are all pros, but I went drinking once with a guy from the events team, a guy from the Finance/commercial team, and someone doing something else and only the events guy was pretty good at painting and that's because he used to be a store manager so painted a lot there.

All the battle reports in white dwarf use the display armies and stuff so you never really get to see the "your dudes" armies unless someone has a particularly cool thing they feature.

It's also grossly unfair because they casually do stuff like kit bash three limited edition models because they have boxes of them lying around :colbert: