Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
branching promotions was really nice

I like the idea of a secondary class option for units but only one, but I'm not married to it, for me it increased replayability and i enjoy customization, but i'd sacrifice it for the tighter game design that knowing what classes the player will have allows

Zore posted:

Kind of? Shadow Dragon and 12 used the same system then Fates and Awakening used the same system with some minor adjustments. Echoes faithfully recreated Gaiden's system even with a bunch of its weirdness like Dread Fighter infinite loops.

3 Houses has a really awful system that either needs to be more free or more restricted. Its a shambling mess of ideas that largely work against each other right now.

that's kind of what i mean by tinkering- introducing a big change OR futzing in small ways. I don't mean to say 'it's different every time!' just that they seem to be interested in experimenting. 3H was such a big, radical change that it's probably not around to stay, at least not unmodified

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Personally I liked how Awakening/Fates worked. The limited reclass options were cool because they often used them to show things about the characters thematically like Ricken sharing his reclasses with Chrom because he idolized him etc.

Personally that plus the FE9/10 style skill system (skills learned from consumables and people have innate skills that you can move around but start costing skill capacity if you do) would be my favorite way to handle everything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

please god go back to just set classes for anyone. maybe the villager gimmick from gaiden/echoes or fe8 branching promotions. thats it. thats all you need

Yeah, I like basically having maybe 4 options total on what each unit can be. It better defines them and allows for better map design since they'd more clearly know what you have. Also I'm boring and unless I'm purposefully going out there to be wacky....I go more or less canon classes on everywhere. Afterall before some of the updates it was the only way to get everyone's cool monastery duds in combat.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
If you don't do Lysithea the Godhand why are you even playing?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hated how in Awakening/Fates the characters had unique color schemes, and sometimes even models in their basic classes, but defaulted to generic in anything else.

I'm not sure what Three Houses should do differently, but I'm not sure locked classes is the way to go. I like that you can go off the beaten path, and most reclass options in 13/14 were either terrible options or foregone conclusions. It's not like you can put everyone in any class, since there's a limited amount of skill points and instruction to go around.

For starters, they could not make the flying classes also the statistically strongest in the game and the Master Classes that are easiest to unlock. A version of the FE12 system could work. Anyone can be a wyvern knight, but hey, we only have two wyverns on hand, so we can't all go flying at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Personally I liked how Awakening/Fates worked. The limited reclass options were cool because they often used them to show things about the characters thematically like Ricken sharing his reclasses with Chrom because he idolized him etc.

Personally that plus the FE9/10 style skill system (skills learned from consumables and people have innate skills that you can move around but start costing skill capacity if you do) would be my favorite way to handle everything.

if they do this they better do something about weapon ranks because that was torture in my second seal only fates run

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god, don't remind me about fates weapon ranks. That was the absolute worst and made secondary weapons completely useless. I think even they saw the error of their ways on that one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Beast stones are similarly dated, and you should instead choose to transform or not from a menu the way cavalry dismount or not

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

👏Bring👏back👏Laguz👏timers👏

(But seriously dragonstones and beast stones in other FEs being limited, unrepairable, and rare drives the horder in me crazy.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bring back fe6 manakete design

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hopeandjoy posted:

👏Bring👏back👏Laguz👏timers👏

(But seriously dragonstones and beast stones in other FEs being limited, unrepairable, and rare drives the horder in me crazy.)

I mean that hasn't been a thing since FE8. Fe9/10 had the timers, you get unlimited stones via normal stores in Awakening and Fates didn't have durability.

Even FE12 added in unlimited buyable Dragonstones in secret shops.

Even Shadow Dragon wasn't that stingy since you got 3-4 stones and only had Tiki for the last 5 chapters.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 17, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think fates had the best system because every beast had multiple transformations they could use that affected their stats in different ways. it actually gave them some versatility instead of just being sacks of stats that you toss at enemies.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Three Houses has the system it does because most of your characters are students, so it makes sense to have a lot of control over their development and a more complicated learning system to back that up. I don't think the system would work anywhere else but I also think 3H would lose something if it had a more traditional class system instead.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

i think fates had the best system because every beast had multiple transformations they could use that affected their stats in different ways. it actually gave them some versatility instead of just being sacks of stats that you toss at enemies.

yeah, this was pretty nice! while we're saying nice things about Fates, I liked the design of the wolfskin's beast forms

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they had good animations, too, and velouria's design was good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why are 3H's animations so stiff anyway

where did all the energy from the latter 3DS games go? Some animation sets are nice and snappy but most others feel awfully stilted, or sterile, or something like that

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zore posted:

I mean that hasn't been a thing since FE8. Fe9/10 had the timers, you get unlimited stones via normal stores in Awakening and Fates didn't have durability.

Even FE12 added in unlimited buyable Dragonstones in secret shops.

Even Shadow Dragon wasn't that stingy since you got 3-4 stones and only had Tiki for the last 5 chapters.

I wasn’t aware Awakening had unlimited stones because I’ve never been able to get far enough into Awakening to unlock them.

I’m aware Awakening is a good game it’s just. Never grabbed me any time I’ve tried to play it. I think I worry to much about not screwing up the kids. That or the chapter where you recruit Nowi and Gregor is really boring because that’s always where my interest runs out.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

nrook posted:

Three Houses has the system it does because most of your characters are students, so it makes sense to have a lot of control over their development and a more complicated learning system to back that up. I don't think the system would work anywhere else but I also think 3H would lose something if it had a more traditional class system instead.

Yeah, this might be why I like it. I don't think I would have enjoyed Three Houses as much if it had a very different system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Why are 3H's animations so stiff anyway

where did all the energy from the latter 3DS games go? Some animation sets are nice and snappy but most others feel awfully stilted, or sterile, or something like that
because the people who made this game's animations weren't the people that made those games' animations. this game's animations were mostly made by the warriors team at koei-tecmo. and those games have some decent animations but there's a lot of very stock and serviceable stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The goal should be to get back to the pristine quality of GBA sprites again one. Nothing had as much character and just omph as that spritework. I also loved assassins actually dual wielding daggers and not just ninja holding a sword.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Eimi posted:

I also loved assassins actually dual wielding daggers and not just ninja holding a sword.

This is an extremely good point I hadn't even noticed. Why do the weapons need a consistent model. It was more stylish the old way even if less "varied" between weapons

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jade Mage posted:

This is an extremely good point I hadn't even noticed. Why do the weapons need a consistent model. It was more stylish the old way even if less "varied" between weapons

Generals having their spear and axe on a chain was :black101:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If they are going to display weapon models that correspond to specific weapons, they should bring back the ability to forge hot pink axes.

Hilda deserves a hot pink axe with maxed stats.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe it's all in my head but the game seems to run a lot smoother after the update

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

The goal should be to get back to the pristine quality of GBA sprites again one. Nothing had as much character and just omph as that spritework. I also loved assassins actually dual wielding daggers and not just ninja holding a sword.
I think the GBA games have just as many duds as they have good stuff, and nobody just remembers those ones. The overall style is definitely very good, but for every warrior-spinning-like-a-tornado animation there's a "i'm going to spin my weapon once and attack normally" critical animation, and a lot of classes look awkward in general.

The best this series has ever gotten in terms of visual flair is honestly Echoes, if you ask me. They refined that style extremely well over three games, and every action in echoes just looks really dynamic and interesting and the special animations are suitably cool and exciting. The polish levels are off the charts, honestly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You take that back, I remember every single attack animation from the GBA series.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
K so I just finished chapter 2 of the dlc and I can't stop laughing obviously evil creepy priest who literally gives candy to children.

I adore my literal trash house and their anime gay bondage outfits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

a lot of classes look awkward in general.

the only ones id say look awkward are cav and fighter

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Amppelix posted:

The best this series has ever gotten in terms of visual flair is honestly Echoes, if you ask me. They refined that style extremely well over three games, and every action in echoes just looks really dynamic and interesting and the special animations are suitably cool and exciting. The polish levels are off the charts, honestly.

Don't forget that every playable character has their own unique victory animation!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only ones id say look awkward are cav and fighter
I've always disliked the myrmidon sprites. they have an extremely strange posture that just looks wrong.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the only thing i particularly dislike about echoes' presentations is that the critical cut-ins are way worse on every axis compared to awakening/fates

also the color scheme is a touch muted but it isn't excessively dull so i can live with that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Byleth with the winter uniform+glasses is my jam, I'm glad I can have permanent outfits for battle cause some of the class outfits suuuck.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Amppelix posted:

I've always disliked the myrmidon sprites. they have an extremely strange posture that just looks wrong.

The pose is weird, on account of it looking like "still from an action shot" more than "a way someone stands", but I like the myrmidon sprite a lot regardless. It has character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only problem with myrmidons is they didnt give joshua a custom sprite so he could keep his hat

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Between Joshua and Dorothea there is a running theme that fashionable headwear is a sign of immaturity, a crutch holding a warrior back from true greatness. In this 2000 word essay I

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CS spoilers: I, for one, am shocked that these events are to some degree Rhea's fault.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Why why is Claude upside down in the menu icons and promo art, it completely throws me every time I see it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tae posted:

Byleth with the winter uniform+glasses is my jam, I'm glad I can have permanent outfits for battle cause some of the class outfits suuuck.

I'm pretty sure all the class outfits suck. It's weird that the "canon" outfits for everyone post-timeskip are so good but the generic stuff is so bad. And it's not even thought out but bad it's just random. Take Swordmasters/Mortal Savants. That class tree in other games made fit in with the setting. In Elibe they were fantasy Steppe tribesmen because they came from the fantasy Steppe. In Sacred Stones the class looks like it's from the fantasy near/middle east because all the characters in the class come from a desert country. They look generic in Tells because they come from everywhere, In Awakening and Fates they look like Samurai because they come from those settings Japans. But Fodlan (and the whole 3H setting) doesn't have a fantasy Japan, so their are just these dudes in Samurai getups for no reason. There are Roman Gladiators around despite neither a fantasy Rome nor gladiator games being in the setting. Theres just a general lack of artistic cohesion for the designs as a whole. Not to mention the default color scheme is this hideous salmon pink.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I got the DLC, but I haven't started it yet. I played through the main game via Edelgard's route over the summer (really enjoyed it) and I'm ready to go again with a new house. If I pick Dimitri or Claude at the beginning of the DLC, does that house narrative mix in with the DLC story. Just asking as I'm curious to play Dimitri's main story line in the near future. I've no real interest in Claude, so I'm wondering if I should just use his house as a starting proxy with the DLC? Not sure what I'm asking really, just want to know what's the best way to start the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Godface posted:

I got the DLC, but I haven't started it yet. I played through the main game via Edelgard's route over the summer (really enjoyed it) and I'm ready to go again with a new house. If I pick Dimitri or Claude at the beginning of the DLC, does that house narrative mix in with the DLC story. Just asking as I'm curious to play Dimitri's main story line in the near future. I've no real interest in Claude, so I'm wondering if I should just use his house as a starting proxy with the DLC? Not sure what I'm asking really, just want to know what's the best way to start the DLC?

The DLC is house agnostic- your party consists of each of the house leaders and a side character from each (Hilda, Ashe, Linhardt)- plus everyone from the ashen wolves.