Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Thread is good and entertaining -> probe PJ -> thread crawls to a stop and is boring -> PJ comes off of probation -> thread is good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I for one am breathlessly awaiting this gift from papa Nurgle

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

oxsnard posted:

Thread is good and entertaining -> probe PJ -> thread crawls to a stop and is boring -> PJ comes off of probation -> thread is good again

honestly we have about as much good data as we can now we need to wait for the clinical studies to come out to get a sense of hospitalization danger and the overall rates of asymptomatic/mild, etc.

other then that its just hurry and wait to see how many people get virus

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love how Cambodia gives zero fucks. Life is fleeting, if you cling too much to it you risk missing out on it. Just let go and don't try to control everything

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

oxsnard posted:

remember how people were like “stop taking succ so seriously obviously nobody reading this thread will actually believe those /pol rants” and then the goon came in seriously worried about the mass open air cremations?

pj is that but without even the thinnest veneer of irony or humor

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I love how Cambodia gives zero fucks. Life is fleeting, if you cling too much to it you risk missing out on it. Just let go and don't try to control everything

namaste

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

remember how people were like “stop taking succ so seriously obviously nobody reading this thread will actually believe those /pol rants” and then the goon came in seriously worried about the mass open air cremations?

pj is that but without even the thinnest veneer of irony or humor

post without limits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*rides into thread on an icbm* This is a thread for only SERIOUS discussion guys, I'm serious this is no joking matter. People are dying, loved ones are GONE! Let us come together and have some SERIOUS debate and discourse over how we, a few dozen goons, can stop this truly horrific tragedy. Accepting anything lesser means yall some bloodthirsty gross doomer psychos. Please do not make jokes about this. I can't believe ya'll are making jokes itt when this is going on.. i just.. just can't wow

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://twitter.com/ricci_davide77/status/1229446486850752512

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody notice how everybody who get's sick is never seen again?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I keep veering wildly between "the data seems to show that things are getting better" and "the limited eyewitness evidence seems to show that we're hosed" which is very cool

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Minrad posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-17/nintendo-is-likely-to-suffer-global-switch-shortages-from-virus

coronavirus has officially hosed with the one person it should never gently caress with: gamer's.

You fools buying food, water, and masks when you'll be able to make thousands reselling launch ps5 and xbox sx consoles when the supply is a trickle thanks to the various supply chains getting hosed up for a year

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah, I found this thread after responding to her on twitter.

I work for one of the largest automotive companies in the world. We obviously have a bunch of relationships with suppliers in China. There are daily meetings for all levels of the company right now managing our response, because of the lockdowns and limits on transportation, we are going to have to eventually adjust our production to manage it.

We have thousands of people on the ground in China right now. If it was literally so virulent it was infecting all of the responders, we would already have seen casaulties and witnessed poo poo going down, which would have been leaked to us. The PRC cannot control literally everyone in their country, especially not foreign nationals who have zero personal stake in the PRC, and certainly are not loyal enough to a car company to risk death. Risking a hospital stay maybe.

And this is describing one company, not literally the entirely of the rest of the world that is watching this like hawks, and would have no motivation to back up PRC lies about millions dead or whatever because self preservations would dictate shutting down borders and poo poo immediately.

Its serious as gently caress, and likely will eventually spread to the rest of the world to some degree, but freaking out about this compared to like, MERS is just wild. The flu is still far more dangerous in general.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Email exist and chats exist and telephones exist- In a perfect world we would not need to move brains around - but sadly miscomunications happens and nothing really replace face to face comunications - But if we are ready to ate some miscomunications and confusions we absolutelly can work only with emails and chats

Then we have one type of people that *need* face to face communication because they get energy from that - And people that are drained by face to face comunication

Remote work protect the second type of people from the first type of people abuses - sadly the first type of people are the one with power and impose their style on others

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I keep veering wildly between "the data seems to show that things are getting better" and "the limited eyewitness evidence seems to show that we're hosed" which is very cool

things can both be forecasted to be looking up and the current situation can be as bad as it's ever been and those aren't contradictory

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FistEnergy posted:

theres how things are going in the rest of the world (somewhere between ok and not great) and theres how things are going in wuhan (hellish if youre healthy and "it literally couldnt get any worse" if youre sick)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tei posted:

Email exist and chats exist and telephones exist- In a perfect world we would not need to move brains around - but sadly miscomunications happens and nothing really replace face to face comunications - But if we are ready to ate some miscomunications and confusions we absolutelly can work only with emails and chats

Then we have one type of people that *need* face to face communication because they get energy from that - And people that are drained by face to face comunication

Remote work protect the second type of people from the first type of people abuses - sadly the first type of people are the one with power and impose their style on others
Sir, this is the complimentary buffet.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

let's go to Prester Jane for a status update

PJ?

Dusk in Wuhan.

The silence in the streets echoes throughout the world. Blood drips from every window and gutter. The roving packs of psychotic great apes tear through any remaining pocket of whimpering humanity in their path. There is no virus here. There is no quarantine. There is only death. Trillions are dead and billions more are dying. Don't trust the government.

I can only look up from my soon to be overrun position and wonder what the lizard annunaki in the holographic moon think of man's hubris. HAARP array. I am to famous for this forum.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Like the situation is serious but there is no way I can get a good read on what is going on while the PRC is lying to make themselves look good, the neoliberal media is lying to make the PRC look bad, the Fox News set is hyping the outbreak like its Captain Trips and the rest of the internet is spreading FUD either out of real paranoia or concern or for the lulz

From what I can tell things are bad but the virus has a relatively low mortality rate between 1% and 3%, its contagious as gently caress with a long (2 week) incubation period but China is taking containment very seriously, its not sure how other governments will respond to a possible outbreak but everyone seems to be watching it like a hawk, eyes on the ground are hyping up the chaos but in the abstract things seem to be getting better.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Like the situation is serious but there is no way I can get a good read on what is going on while the PRC is lying to make themselves look good, the neoliberal media is lying to make the PRC look bad, the Fox News set is hyping the outbreak like its Captain Trips and the rest of the internet is spreading FUD either out of real paranoia or concern or for the lulz

From what I can tell things are bad but the virus has a relatively low mortality rate between 1% and 3%, its contagious as gently caress with a long (2 week) incubation period but China is taking containment very seriously, its not sure how other governments will respond to a possible outbreak but everyone seems to be watching it like a hawk, eyes on the ground are hyping up the chaos but in the abstract things seem to be getting better.

This is correct but 100x as deadly as the flu is not what I'd call relatively low

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

oxsnard posted:

This is correct but 100x as deadly as the flu is not what I'd call relatively low
tbf probably closer to 33x as around the likely number (0.9% +/-), which again, isn't apocalyptic or societal/economic-ending, but ya somehow people miss this and just go "relax its just a flu!"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The flu is still far more dangerous in general.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If the R0 is anywhere near 3-5 then we should be seeing significant worldwide outbreak clusters in the next week or so right? If the communicable incubation period really is ~ 2 weeks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Its low compared to like MERS with a 25-30% mortalitiy rate. And its low compared to the catastrophizing going on. Its a very serious illness that requires a global response to make sure it does not get out of control and cause millions of pointless deaths among the young and the old.

Xaris posted:

tbf probably closer to 33x as around the likely number (0.9% +/-), which again, isn't apocalyptic or societal/economic-ending, but ya somehow people miss this and just go "relax its just a flu!"

The point of the comparision is that thousands more have died from the flu in the US already this year than have died from coronavirus. It does not mean its not extremely serious, its to highlight just how serious the bog standard flu is, and to then say this is even more serious, but also is not a world ending disaster.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 17, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

If the R0 is anywhere near 3-5 then we should be seeing significant worldwide outbreak clusters in the next week or so right? If the communicable incubation period really is ~ 2 weeks.

Correct. It's all but certain and then we'll get an idea of how inaccurate China's numbers were

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Most of the potential eyewitnesses are quarantined in their homes, barely leaving except to get food and water, but also mostly probably either not sick or with mild enough symptoms that they don't need to be hospitalized.

Sure, it's an official CCP stat, but all of China has reported about 70,000 cases so far. Wuhan metropolitan area alone has a population of 19 million people. That's like 0.4% even if all those cases were in Wuhan. Even if you think the CCP has extremely underreported and cases are higher by a full order of magnitude, that would mean 4% of Wuhan was infected right now and the rest are taking extreme precautions to avoid getting infected, whether by choice or by force, like not leaving their homes for weeks except to buy groceries.

Eyewitness accounts may show that Wuhan is a ghost town right now, but that's almost certainly because millions of people aren't leaving their homes, not because millions of people are dead or dying. Thousands have already died and thousands more will probably die, we don't need to exaggerate when the figures are already so high.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

incubation is like 5 days

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

it might be 3-5 in cold dry environments and less in India, Singapore, Tokyo or Hong Kong but we'll see.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you boil your own piss and wipe it all over you, you will become immune

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
how long until we get the first cruise ship virus disaster flick?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
lots of interesting stuff in this:
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/02/more-concerns-about-chinas-coronavirus-economic-and-political-downside.html

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

how long until we get the first cruise ship virus disaster flick?

PissBoat

followed by

PissBoat II: Tinkle Territory

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Has there been any indication from Chinese authorities as to how long the various lockdown measures will be in effect? Is it something decided more locally?

I imagine one of the dangers here is merrily seeing number go down, easing up on restrictions, and then the virus starts spreading faster again. :(

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I have information that will lead to the arrest of Covid-19.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://www.epsilontheory.com/the-industrially-necessary-doctor-tedros/#.XknVZYlMTSI.twitter

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Agronox posted:

Has there been any indication from Chinese authorities as to how long the various lockdown measures will be in effect? Is it something decided more locally?

I imagine one of the dangers here is merrily seeing number go down, easing up on restrictions, and then the virus starts spreading faster again. :(

They are trying to get industry up and running ASAP, so the first things thats will get brought back online are transportation and poo poo. For example one of the contacts my company has is requesting 1 million face masks to help get operations running again. And that is estimating 30-40% capacity.

Preemptive loosening of restrictions could certainly cause a larger outbreak. Though at this point a lot of the economic damage has been done, so hopefully they do not do that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lol at the first commenter calling the virus "Covfefe-19". There's a proper nickname right there.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

oxsnard posted:

It's just what people respond to - there is a lot of interesting things out there from smart people studying the virus and giving real time updates on research as it's going on and as they are learning - but it is less engaging in this format than paranoid ramblings and unsourced doomsaying from youtube about how the world economy is on the brink of collapse and the Chinese government is using this to murder millions.

I find PJ entertaining at times, but have also lived in Houston during a hurricane where they said we all drowned in a flood and Trump is covering it up (note: not dead) so get a bit annoyed that they can so thoroughly dominate the conversation with nonsense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at seeing PJ in the lepers colony for insane posting here after she made a whole thread about leaving the forums and copied the post elsewhere

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I find PJ entertaining at times, but have also lived in Houston during a hurricane where they said we all drowned in a flood and Trump is covering it up (note: not dead) so get a bit annoyed that they can so thoroughly dominate the conversation with nonsense.

I was in Houston too. And in defense of this stuff, I don't think people realize how close the Houston Ship Channel was to getting wiped out, which would've cratered the economy and polluted the gulf coast in unimaginable fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

lol at seeing PJ in the lepers colony for insane posting here after she made a whole thread about leaving the forums and copied the post elsewhere

hey, how about you quit picking on the mentally ill

asshat