Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hav posted:

I did my time in the nineties hair straightening wars, but it ‘twas heavy metal that really gave up on me. I totally blame nu-metal.

I'll see your 90s, and take you back to the 80s

Now that was crimping.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
cimpin ain't easy

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's cool that Sandi and Chris got their money and she's already cashed out with him not far behind

This was always their retirement plan and now they'll be extremely wealthy until they die because of the idiots that believed in them

You can read this as either "they will be extremely wealthy for the rest of their lives because of the idiots" or "they will die because of the idiots, but until that time, they will be extremely wealthy."

Both are true.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah that's what makes me feel kind of sorry for the guy. Like, your overinflated paycheck is all that you have to be proud of, and CIG and twitter are the only people you have to brag about it to? Really? I hope it's not the case because that's just depressing

Yea...the way he refers to Internet strangers as his "VR family", refers to CIG, a corporation, like family and role plays as a buxom woman seems like he's either really into building up a user base, or lacking a sense of place and has strong feelings of social isolation. His interests and language communicate someone who lacks strong interpersonal relationships and strongly desires a community and sense of belonging/wants to be desired - but the only thing he knows how to do to get that is to spend money.

Hopefully it's the former and not the latter

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Biscuitbeard posted:

Noob checking in, after a long time lurking without an account. Paid the ten dollars on the strength of this thread alone, the drama is glorious.

To my eternal shame I got a popular post on the SC subreddit after playing with a free fly and taking a bunch of better-than-average screenshots from a photographer's perspective. Search 'postcards from Stanton', there's a beautiful shot of a city view with turds spilling out of the poop chute in the foreground. Breathtaking, I assure you.

So I messed in the free fly, I thought it had some really good looking environments and made that post. Then people started telling me 'you should get the news reporter ship' and I thought that sounded loving weird and started looking into the business model and gameplay plans. Of course that meant I ended up here (well, the old uber-megathread) and got hooked on the tasty drama and corruption.

(Actually thought the free fly was entertaining with mates in a buggy sandbox kind of way, like loving around in Arma but with spaceships. Could be some real potential if it wasn't being managed by a money-hungry bear with a fidelity fetish and his ticklish accomplice)

welcome, citizen, to our finest remaining bear fraud thread

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hiding in the shadows...lust on its mind.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

Report yourself to the Stimperor for deskeletonization immediately :cop:

On my way! I don't mind being jelly especially if this means I can be a tentacle monster. I'll probably get on one of the streams now and will be super popular in Japan.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

An undersea tentacle monster? Isn’t that just :cthulhu:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

On my way! I don't mind being jelly especially if this means I can be a tentacle monster. I'll probably get on one of the streams now and will be super popular in Japan.

Just make sure you spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on overpriced prestige PC gaming accessories designed to fleece 30+ gamers. That’s the key to being a successful streamer.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 17, 2020

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I just read online that star citizen is better than ever

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

hanales posted:

So Pixel Lemonade is back?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

hanales posted:

100% true my friend

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Kellanved posted:

I can't really make fun of people that spend that much on Star Citizen, or any other game like it. It's scummy practice to exploit their psychology like this.

e: And I put way more responsibility on companies that do this poo poo, than on the people falling for it. Because out of a few million customers, there are going to be a few people that are extremely susceptible to your message. And companies like CIG just squeeze these people out of everything they have, it's p disgusting.

I can, there is the difference between those that know it's pay 2 win and those that not only deny star citizen is pay 2 win, but will defend the practice to the point of personal attacks to those saying it is, the later group which is r/sc posters I am happy to mock. It's not broke brained, it's just utter stupidity.

These are not $5 ships, these are items that can be from full priced games, to a brand new car, not to mention even the real scummy pay 2 win games, you know what your paying for, or in the case of a loot box, the chance. Star Citizen has and will change ships with no recourse for people to refund or exchange for an alternative.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes the scheme makes the suckers.

Sometimes the sucker finds the schemes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lou Takki posted:

100% true my friend

They are certainly advancing in the release numbering department.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Sometimes the scheme makes the suckers.

Sometimes the sucker finds the schemes.

Sometimes the suckers accidentally make the scheme and even bigger suckers fall for it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Star Citizen IS better than ever. They have finally reached the quality of a Steam Early Access game.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/roadmap-roundup-february-14-2020-1

:trustme: Roadmap Roundup - February 14, 2020

Happy Friday, everyone!

Each and every week, we accompany the Roadmap update with a brief explanatory note to give you insight into the decision-making that led to any changes. This is part of an effort to make our communications more transparent, more specific, and more insightful for all of you who help to make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible.

-CIG Community Team

Notable Changes for February 14, 2020
____
As noted earlier on our Valentine's Day event page, the Mercury Star Runner is slated for the Alpha 4.1 Column.

While the team is very close to finalizing the 4.1 column, and fully aware of the Gibbening, we're going to need just a little bit more time before we add it to the Roadmap. You can expect to see more information coming very soon.

:lol::lol:

So 500 people have worked 40 hours a week, that's 80,000+ man hours this month and this is the result of their combined efforts ?!

Graded some work the community submitted

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DigitalPenny posted:

So 500 people have worked 40 hours a week, that's 80,000+ man hours this month and this is the result of their combined efforts ?!

You think CIG employees only work 40 hours per week?

When CR himself (alledgedly) works 16 hours per day, you think the devs are going to get away with doing just 8 hours per day?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalPenny posted:

I'll let you know that they have multiple studios around the world so that they can work 24 hours a day to deliver the proper AAAAAAAAAA experience! Stop FUDding, you FUDster!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nalin posted:

Star Citizen IS better than ever. They have finally reached the quality of a Steam Early Access game.

You are really underestimating the baseline quality level early access games are expected to have these days.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DigitalPenny posted:

Well they can't announce any of the real work they're doing, you see, because there is a lawsuit anvil suspended above their heads forever that will fall on them if they ever show up and actually sell Squadron 42. So they're doing all of the work of their publicly crowdfunded quarter-billion-dollar game in secret, on a second game, that they cannot show or release or else the company will be consumed by suits.

"Yes," nods the backer. "That explains the mysterious silence, also the complete lack of progress on the game that I can see, and is definitely not a red flag the size of Texas for any future efforts by this company. Let me just get my wallet out and-"

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RENTED SHIP CONVERTS TO OWNED SHIP WHEN CLAIM TIMER RUNS OUT WHILE OFFLINE

Connected to ship persistence (something baby something?), this will be lots of fun. My guess is CI will either:
- be unable to fix this
- be able to fix this by wipe that will affect way more people than it should, including some owned ships

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Connected to ship persistence (something baby something?), this will be lots of fun. My guess is CI will either:
- be unable to fix this
- be able to fix this by wipe that will affect way more people than it should, including some owned ships

This one's been known for quite a while but it wasn't really worth it to do because your fleet would just get wiped every few weeks. Glad they fixed that without fixing this issue, apparently. In any other game this would be a breaking exploit that would get patched immediately but in Star Citizen the rental prices are still hours of work, and the ships don't actually do anything, so I guess it's fine that they just don't actually fix bugs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

It's a boiling pot of disastrously bad management and a complete lack of ability to scope the possible.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

- be unable to fix this

This is the only thing that actually would make playing Star Citizen enough to rent a ship worthwhile lmao

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

AntherUslessPoster posted:

It never will be

“lol the Goon haters. I always tell them that you can PLAY it since years, I sunk 500+ hours into the PTU. More than into Civilization, Deus Ex, GTAV and Witcher 3!
I NEVER had so much FUN in a GAME before ! Stupid FUDsters! Gogogo CIG, 2020 will add so much more content! Cyberpunk will wish it could compete with the SCALE of our GAME!”

Braimdead is not only a term but was a funny splatter B movie 30 years ago.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Well they can't announce any of the real work they're doing, you see, because there is a lawsuit anvil suspended above their heads forever that will fall on them if they ever show up and actually sell Squadron 42. So they're doing all of the work of their publicly crowdfunded quarter-billion-dollar game in secret, on a second game, that they cannot show or release or else the company will be consumed by suits.

"Yes," nods the backer. "That explains the mysterious silence, also the complete lack of progress on the game that I can see, and is definitely not a red flag the size of Texas for any future efforts by this company. Let me just get my wallet out and-"

CIG wants to avoid SQ42 spoilers as well so they won’t show the hidden progress.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

hanales posted:

The best game you can’t play since 2014.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

If I tell someone I can cure cancer and take their money, but I have no idea how to actually cure cancer, it's fraud and prison time. The gray area is this: what if I genuinely believe I can cure cancer? The premise is the same, the actions are the same, and the outcome is the same. The only difference is my own delusion. Is it fraud? Is it criminal if there's no intent?

If the crime is killing someone, that distinction is the difference between murder and manslaughter. But both are crimes.

Star Citizen is nothing more than Chris Roberts mistakenly believing he's a game developer, imagining he has ideas, and just being completely delusional about himself for decades. Then taking hundreds of millions of dollars and failing so spectacularly it almost can't be described. What can be done, especially when the authorities that would ordinarily be able to shut this down are not subject-savvy enough to recognize the actual state of things?

It would be like if cops refused to help a woman being chased down an alleyway because a crime hasn't been committed yet.

What I'm saying is that Star Citizen is the manslaughter of game development. In a just world it would set the precedent for new laws about this very niche kind of thing.

Star Citizen - involuntary gameslaughter

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
They’ve broken AI in so many ways it’s like contemporary dance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuOVOXrwMY&t=30s

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Pixelate posted:

You just dont understand newtonian physics development.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Pixelate posted:

Help, I've spilled the gravity goo and now I can't get up...

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

AutismVaccine posted:

You just dont understand newtonian physics development.

I think only quantum physics can answer this.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pixelate posted:

Just when you thought that this wouldn't get any weirder...

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Scruffpuff posted:

There is a way to look at it, though. If people who imagine themselves to be rich spend money on the dumbest poo poo imaginable, or nothing at all, to have a pissing contest among themselves, it's the best possible outcome. They could hoard the money and keep it out of circulation. They could spend it in a way that consolidates their power and makes them richer. But when they blow it on stupid poo poo, it goes back into circulation, jobs are created for people to make the incredibly stupid poo poo, they lose the money and gain nothing, and so on. It's best for stupid rich people to blow all that cash as soon as possible. In some small way, it drives the economy somewhat.

The problem is that in this case it's going to a con-artist who's not providing anything and is not part of any economy anyone can benefit from, except, for the time being, the paychecks going to college grads learning skills that will not translate too well.

Trickle-down economics doesn't work, has never worked, and will never work. Take your Reaganomics and get out of my Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pixelate posted:

Coronavirus is in!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

You just dont understand Fig newtonian physics development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

Early days.