Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Really if anything Geralt should be angry at Roche, he's the one who blackmails him into the whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Avalerion posted:

Really if anything Geralt should be angry at Roche, he's the one who blackmails him into the whole mess.

And if you piss him off you get a really quick game over

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avalerion posted:

He canonically banged Shani when she was like 17.

It remains amusing that Shani is like 25 at the oldest we see her and is more mature than century old sorceresses.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Ugh. What drives me mad about W1 and W2 is the 'corridor world', the way the 'exploration' is 90% working out how to get to your destination along meandering corridors fenced in by somehow impenetrable weeds. I love just being able to decide I want to go north, and do it, the way you mostly can in Velen.

(Yes, I hate Skellige as well, but at least mountains are a more plausible excuse.)

Yeah I hate exploring a forest, I just want to have meandering hills as far as the eye can see so I can ride in a straight line towards the next bandit camp.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a fun exercise at work (because I don't feel like working) i'm re-reading the Witcher 2 thread and have gotten to the page where, in February 2013, Witcher 3 was announced. Re-reading all of our initial impressions/hopes/ideas is hilarious and nostalgic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46

Not sure if this is archived or not.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

They're probably used to it, just like how Sorcerer's and Sorceresses don't age either. Geralt is a 100 year old man who looks like he's 35 and acts like he's 15.

those people are almost to a T upper crust types who the average person will see once in a lifetime and probably find it quite understandable that they’re immortal. geralt looks and smells like a bum

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

chaosapiant posted:

As a fun exercise at work (because I don't feel like working) i'm re-reading the Witcher 2 thread and have gotten to the page where, in February 2013, Witcher 3 was announced. Re-reading all of our initial impressions/hopes/ideas is hilarious and nostalgic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46

Not sure if this is archived or not.

This is great, if only because people in that thread are already speculating about Cyberpunk. Presumed release: 2015

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

yeah i didn’t know that, tho it makes me wonder what all these non functionally immortal people think of the greasy vagrant who appears every decade looking exactly the same while they age and wither.

Well, most people think he is an ungodly abomination.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish they could've fit Iorveth and Saskia in Witcher 3's story. They're the ones I followed throughout Witcher 2 on my first playthrough and I think they're some of the most important characters in the overall lore of the games depending on the choices you make, and they get like, a Gwent card.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lurdiak posted:

I wish they could've fit Iorveth and Saskia in Witcher 3's story. They're the ones I followed throughout Witcher 2 on my first playthrough and I think they're some of the most important characters in the overall lore of the games depending on the choices you make, and they get like, a Gwent card.

I'm on the fence. I'd like to have seen him, but one thing I also noticed is that in games like Mass Effect where even minor characters popped up in the sequels to say "hey I remember that thing you did!", it made the game world feel smaller. Like everyone was going through the same terminals and the same clubs. At least by keeping Iorveth offscreen, I can imagine all sorts of things for his character and not really be wrong.

On the other hand, a third DLC where you go to a region maybe in Nilfgaard, and he's there and you work with him, like Shani in Hearts of Stone. Or maybe visit Vergen and he's still around.

Edit: I'm still reading all of our ideas of what The Witcher 3 would be when it came out, and a good number of us were like "yea, they've bitten off way more than they can chew" and "how can they make us care for another sorceress as much as Triss" and on and on. We were all extremely hopeful and also wary of disappointment. It's history now just how good TW3 really is, but at the time it was staggeringly impressive. I still consider it the best game ever made, hands down, across all time and genres.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 18, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, I'm level 30 now, with a pretty alchemy-heavy build and some red skills thrown is as well. Just finished Bald Mountain. I'm starting to look at what gear I want into the endgame since keeping up multiple witcher sets is expensive, and need a little bit of help. Wolven is obviously a nice all-around set and seems like gets an average of just under 50% of the bonuses the other sets get, but for all of them. I also think it looks the best at the enhanced/superior level, though I haven't looked at how they end up. Feline, obviously, great for killing poo poo but that's it. Is there any reason I shouldn't use feline armor? It looks decent too, I think. Finally, how useful/important are the grandmaster set bonuses? The main one I don't want is feline at 6, because actively losing adrenaline is going to hurt me once I get Hunter's Instinct. Wolven also seems useless, though mostly since I'm running the auto-apply oils mod.

Feline armor with Ursine weapons seems like a good overall compromise and gives me two decent set bonuses without murdering my crit damage from Hunter's Instinct. (also note, all theory-crafting)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 18, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You don’t get set bonuses until you get to the Blood and Wine expansion.

Use whatever looks coolest for now. (It’s either cat or bear)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

At level 30 a solid alchemy-build should be pretty effective at killing everything, even on Death March. Wear whatever you think will look coolest in the endgame cutscenes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At level 4 my current build is Fast Sword + Jedi Mind Trick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://ca.ign.com/articles/the-wit...N_jxne6Lec9ujus

Tormund Giantsbane is gonna play Nivellen in season 2.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Grain of truth, gently caress yeah!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ugh if they're going to do more of the short stories in season 2 why didn't they make them the bulk of season 1 and then start folding the ciri/yennefer stuff in later!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's pretty dope, Kristofer rules. (book spoiler)Shame it's a character that isn't around for long, though he doesn't die and I suppose they could find a place for him. Even if it's a one-off it raises the profile of the show a little.

Cowcaster posted:

ugh if they're going to do more of the short stories in season 2 why didn't they make them the bulk of season 1 and then start folding the ciri/yennefer stuff in later!

Probably helps from a TV perspective to have Ciri with him for this so he can speak out loud what he thinks is happening instead of just thinking it. Another episode of them bonding at least.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

Because Ciri and Yennefer are main characters alongside Geralt and the showrunner didn't feel it would make sense to introduce main characters that late in the show. I agree with her.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

chaosapiant posted:

Because Ciri and Yennefer are main characters alongside Geralt and the showrunner didn't feel it would make sense to introduce main characters that late in the show. I agree with her.

Also presumably they didn't know at the point of pre-production that they would even be getting a second season, so they couldn't bank on saving things for later. If you've only got eight episodes to try and get ratings, promising people that more cool stuff will happen in future seasons isn't a very smart move.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I don't see a problem with geralt and Ciri facing a problem in the present that makes geralt flash back to the past. There's a lot of time they spend on the road getting to Kaer Morhen for them to bond with Geralt telling her stories. Would definitely help alleviate how badly they botched Sword of Destiny.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean I don't see a problem with geralt and Ciri facing a problem in the present that makes geralt flash back to the past. There's a lot of time they spend on the road getting to Kaer Morhen for them to bond with Geralt telling her stories. Would definitely help alleviate how badly they botched Sword of Destiny.

There's also no reason the story has to happen in the past at all. As it is, it's just a short story with no real connection to the other characters, so they could be dropped into it and/or it could take place in the present without ruining any of the events that are coming.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Seems like a good first lesson on Witchering (Witching?) for Ciri. There are many different types of monsters and they aren't always obvious.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hobo Clown posted:

Seems like a good first lesson on Witchering (Witching?) for Ciri. There are many different types of monsters and they aren't always obvious.

Having Ciri along for the ride (maybe the Bruxa threatening her or something) would actually be a really cool addition. I thought adding Jasklion to Pavetta's wedding was a good idea as well, so I trust the show runners. They understand the source material and seem to know where they can tweak it for the medium.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cheating at gwent in my current run (after largely ignoring it in my first run) is giving me an appreciation for the nuances of the game, and man, that nilfgaard leader ability that lets you retrieve a card from the enemy discard pile really feels good when you manage to draw a spy into your hand.

I think I was turned off of gwent early on because it isn’t very fun until you’ve actually built a good deck, but once it gets going I can see the appeal finally.

i still miss dice poker though

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My favorite leader card is the Foltest-Clear Weather. That's handy as poo poo to either use to dispel any weather bullshit, OR just to pass a turn and make the opponent play another card.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The new patch for Witcher on Switch which adds a whole bunch of graphics options (like ability to turn on or off AA, blur, bloom, and sharpening) drastically improves the look of the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Cheating at gwent in my current run (after largely ignoring it in my first run) is giving me an appreciation for the nuances of the game, and man, that nilfgaard leader ability that lets you retrieve a card from the enemy discard pile really feels good when you manage to draw a spy into your hand.

This is my whole game. Maneuvering a spy into the opponents discard pile and then recycling it as soon as I can. This also makes the Nilfgaard cancel opponents leader ability the second best leader ability.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I was turned off of gwent early on because it isn’t very fun until you’ve actually built a good deck, but once it gets going I can see the appeal finally.

i still miss dice poker though

Yeah that leader ability is basically the strongest in the game, imo, and pushes Nilfgaard's deck into a clear strongest for me. Northern Realms can get as many spies but nowhere near as many medics and their Tight Bond units just don't push them over the top. Until you get that card I do think a Northern Realms deck with the Clear weather Foltest is probably the best though. Maybe a Nilfgaard with the nullify leader ability ability (which is definitely the deck you should take against Sasha)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 18, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

My favorite leader card is the Foltest-Clear Weather. That's handy as poo poo to either use to dispel any weather bullshit, OR just to pass a turn and make the opponent play another card.

i swear i used the leader abilities more frequently as a "stall, have the AI burn a card" tactic than their actual intended purpose

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ravenfood posted:

Northern Realms can get as many spies but nowhere near as many medics and their Tight Bond units just don't push them over the top.
Two Trebuchets with a horn is the most efficient power/cards combo in the game, the 5-power archers with Bond are super good, and NR's medics are also valuable for their power in addition to their ability. NR's spies don't have nearly as high power as Nilf's. NR's ranged and siege lines are so good you can run Biting Frosts with a clear conscience and utterly neuter Monster & Scoia'tel decks. And NR's inherent ability comes into play a lot more often than Nilf's.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ll also say that I’m struggling to see the point of the scoiatel deck, it looks like a halfhearted monster deck. I guess it has more medics and units that can choose which row they go on, but I’m not quite smart enough to see the utility of the latter over nonstop mustering.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Paracelsus posted:

Two Trebuchets with a horn is the most efficient power/cards combo in the game, the 5-power archers with Bond are super good, and NR's medics are also valuable for their power in addition to their ability. NR's spies don't have nearly as high power as Nilf's. NR's ranged and siege lines are so good you can run Biting Frosts with a clear conscience and utterly neuter Monster & Scoia'tel decks. And NR's inherent ability comes into play a lot more often than Nilf's.

With the Nilfgaard deck, I don't even care about environmental effects. If the opponent uses them, they end up hurting them almost as much as they hurt you.

Horning a row is good, but it's a prime target for a Scorch. So having the medic cards is more important than the trebuchets themselves.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Anyone play the Gwent mobile game? I just downloaded it to feed my addiction but I haven’t played it yet.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

theblackw0lf posted:

The new patch for Witcher on Switch which adds a whole bunch of graphics options (like ability to turn on or off AA, blur, bloom, and sharpening) drastically improves the look of the game.

Do you have to download it manually still if you have the phys ver?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

motoh posted:

Do you have to download it manually still if you have the phys ver?

Yes but it's a small download

Here's a graphical comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jYu60DV9Hc

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Take a card from your opponents discard pile is stupid powerful. The game is all about card advantage drawing is life, but also PASSING without fully passing the round is super powerful. If a leader ability was just “skip this turn” then it would still be a good power, which is why clear weather guy that a so good. Skipping a turn AND you get a card is super powerful.

The ability to get your opponent to overcommit is so powerful. It’s broken but it’s a single player game so who cares I just don’t play him or mysterious elf (spy who adds nothing can’t be horned or decoyed - broken) to keep things fair. Unless it’s a tournament.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I am level 18 on my first playthrough, have 18% achievements and 180 hours play time. I know I take my time wandering around but still, gently caress this game is big.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Maugrim posted:

I am level 18 on my first playthrough, have 18% achievements and 180 hours play time. I know I take my time wandering around but still, gently caress this game is big.

Hell yeah, keep us updated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

does following the story quests to their conclusion lock me out of all the other quests?