Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat a double “gently caress off” for the crime of insulting the Pratchman maybe instead calm the gently caress down in the book recommendation thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Isn't Bridge of Birds specifically a pastiche of classical Chinese novels like Journey to the West?

Yes, but it's very lighthearted and whimsical and uplifting in a way that's hard to point towards a specific antecedent. It's not the form of the vessel people generally want more of when they're finished, it's the spirit within.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Re: pratchchat

It’s not like it will take you long to discover if you can stand Terry Pratchett or not so you might as well try!

I, personally, can’t stand any of it. :)

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Oof - sorry. I probably should have anticipated Pratchett recommendations, and it would have helped you out a hell of a lot by specifying that I have read (and enjoyed) all of Discworld already.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe A Night in the Lonesome October, maybe the book version of Princess Bride. Asprin's Another Fine Myth.

Thanks! A Night in the Lonesome October is available in my library, so that will be next up on the to-read list. I will also go take the plunge on Pynchon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I wanted something light, funny, and clever along the lines of Pratchett or Douglas Adams but that were grounded in a real historical era, where would I start? I've enjoyed replaying the Monkey Island series lately and have been watching a few shows along those lines as well, but when it comes to prose fiction I'm fairly ignorant of what's out there. Ideally something in the 17th or 18th century—early America, colonial Europe, pirates, that sort of thing—but pretty open.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

If I wanted something light, funny, and clever along the lines of Pratchett or Douglas Adams but that were grounded in a real historical era, where would I start? I've enjoyed replaying the Monkey Island series lately and have been watching a few shows along those lines as well, but when it comes to prose fiction I'm fairly ignorant of what's out there. Ideally something in the 17th or 18th century—early America, colonial Europe, pirates, that sort of thing—but pretty open.

No joke, first thing that comes to mind is one of Pynchon's lighter novels. You've got V., Mason & Dixon and Against The Day.

Have you ever read a Jane Austen novel? I feel like her comedy is undersold because she's Classic Literature, but I think she's funny.

For pirates, have you read Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson? Not necessarily funny, but it's a classic for a reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

feedmyleg posted:

It's on my mind because it's just mentioned, but A Night in the Lonesome October is light, funny pastiche fantasy set in the victorian (edwardian?) era.

Tim Power's On Stranger Tides was one of the direct inspirations for Secret of Monkey Island. (They bought the rights to the name for the Pirates of the Caribbean film but didn't really use much of the story). It's more historical fiction than light/funny but it's very good.

Past that I'd advise checking out the Aubrey/Maturin thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you read Austen she's great but I'd advise getting an annotated edition as her jokes are difficult to get if you don't have a lot of background already on her society.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'll take a look at Lonesome October, and Mason & Dixon looks potentially interesting. I'd been thinking about Austen but was worried that it's so dry that I won't connect with it, but that may be unfounded. I was definitely hoping for suggestions of more comedy-forward material, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'll take a look at Lonesome October, and Mason & Dixon looks potentially interesting. I'd been thinking about Austen but was worried that it's so dry that I won't connect with it, but that may be unfounded. I was definitely hoping for suggestions of more comedy-forward material, though.

Pynchon is pretty comedic, just so you know. V. has an art heist where the plan is to steal The Birth of Venus by rolling it up and hiding it in a fake tree that they're going to carry around with them. Mason & Dixon get high with George Washington, and an earlier chapter has their fortunes told by a talking dog. Even his darker novels, like Gravity's Rainbow, are very funny; they're just less specific to this request. (Half of V's chapters take place at specific points of history at different parts of the world, including Venice, South Africa, Egypt, and more.)

The only other book that comes to mind--Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut--doesn't really fit well with what you're asking. While it's a dark comedy that deals with a soldier's experience in WW2, time travel and aliens are a big part of the story, and it's less comedic than other Vonnegut novels. Vonnegut was a huge influence on Douglas Adams, though. And it's such a commonly read book that it always feels redundant to recommend it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

feedmyleg posted:

Thing is, austen is screamingly funny *if* you already know, e.g., the difference between a dog cart and a larouche. If you don't, it's just dry gibberish. Context is everything and she doesn't 3explain because her audience already knew.

I did a partial let's read of austen a while back, good place to get started:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

feedmyleg posted:

It's nonfiction, but Roughing It is one of the funniest books I've ever read and is set in a similar milieu, and it reads like a novel. Be sure to get your hands on an edition with all the original illustrations – the Hippocrene edition from the '80s is the one that I have.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 17, 2020

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

feedmyleg posted:

I believe Gideon Defoe's "Pirates" series fits perfectly. They are extremely cartoonish, but all based in history—the pirates meet Darwin, Marx, Napoleon, Shelley & Byron...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thing is, austen is screamingly funny *if* you already know, e.g., the difference between a dog cart and a larouche. If you don't, it's just dry gibberish. Context is everything and she doesn't 3explain because her audience already knew.

I did a partial let's read of austen a while back, good place to get started:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Anyone know if there are annotated Austen for people who don't know the difference between a dog cart and a larouche, or something?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know if there are annotated Austen for people who don't know the difference between a dog cart and a larouche, or something?

I highly recommend the companion non-fiction reference book What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool, which is also kinda lighthearted and fun in its own way.

But yes, an Everyman's copy or Norton edition or Oxford edition of classics are always pretty good.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I think Hieronymous Alloy vastly overstates the need to understand the subtleties of Austen's vocabulary in order to read her novels. English is my third language and I've no idea what a dog cart or a larouche is, but I've really enjoyed Austen's work, and i know people whose English is considerably worse than mine liking the poo poo out of her.

Nobody's examining you, and you don't have to understand each reference or wordplay to get Austen at all. If anything, trying to get everything will lessen your enjoyment of what ultimately are very well written light hearted novels of a keen observer of her society.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 17, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's nonfiction, but Roughing It is one of the funniest books I've ever read and is set in a similar milieu, and it reads like a novel. Be sure to get your hands on an edition with all the original illustrations – the Hippocrene edition from the '80s is the one that I have.

Innocents Abroad is also exceptionally funny, with the caveat that it is very ethnocentric in parts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome. Can't believe Twain didn't occur to me, and the Pirates series sounds ideal. Thanks, all! That'll definitely get me started. I also read a lot of old pulp books which have pretty gross content, so I can push my way past a decent amount of ethnocentric nonsense. I'll keep Austen in the back pocket, too.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Selachian posted:

gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pratchett and bridge of birds are nothing like each other

also pratchett is twee garbage for nerds who fear novelty and place great value on feeling cleverer than other people sorry

e:

Burning Rain posted:

I think Hieronymous Alloy vastly overstates the need to understand the subtleties of Austen's vocabulary in order to read her novels. English is my third language and I've no idea what a dog cart or a larouche is, but I've really enjoyed Austen's work, and i know people whose English is considerably worse than mine liking the poo poo out of her.

Nobody's examining you, and you don't have to understand each reference or wordplay to get Austen at all. If anything, trying to get everything will lessen your enjoyment of what ultimately are very well written light hearted novels of a keen observer of her society.

also this. austen is hugely enjoyable and funny and there's no need to get an annotated edition in order to understand every minute reference. just read the books

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 17, 2020

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also, pratchett is twee garbage for nerds who fear novelty and place great value on feeling cleverer than other people

Seems like a perfect fit for TBB recs

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also pratchett is twee garbage for nerds who fear novelty and place great value on feeling cleverer than other people sorry

You could have just have said "teenagers."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No :ironicat: big enough.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know what you're talking about, I love novelty

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

You could have just have said "teenagers."

You shouldn't conflate the noble teen with people who read terry pratchett in my opinion.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Kinda hate to agree, but Austen rules and Pratchett is terribly unfunny garbage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
CineD's Movie of the Month is Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love, one of my favorite movies, and it's made me realize that I really don't know the stand-out literary classics that are about unrequited love and/or affairs. So I have two requests for recommendations.

What are some of the best literary classics about unrequited love or people having an affair?

Or, what's a book that is similar to In The Mood For Love?

I'm open to novels, plays, or even a long-form poem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

CineD's Movie of the Month is Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love, one of my favorite movies, and it's made me realize that I really don't know the stand-out literary classics that are about unrequited love and/or affairs. So I have two requests for recommendations.

What are some of the best literary classics about unrequited love or people having an affair?

Maugham's The Painted Veil?

E: I'd also throw in Greene's A Burnt-Out Case but any number of people might not agree.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Book Barn's Horror Thread/Ligotti

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Love in the Time of Cholera
Spring Snow
Snow
La Vita Nouva
Great Expectations
Great Gatsby

Off the top of my head as I walk to work

Edit:

Thousand Cranes
Snow Country

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Love in the Time of Cholera
Spring Snow
Snow
La Vita Nouva
Great Expectations
Great Gatsby

Off the top of my head as I walk to work

Edit:

Thousand Cranes
Snow Country

I've read Gatsby at least. Kinda funny rec, since you hate that book. Seems like I have Pamuk's Snow, Marquez's Cholera and Spring Snow on my shelf already, too.

Do you have a preferred edition/translation of La Vita Nouva?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maugham's The Painted Veil?

E: I'd also throw in Greene's A Burnt-Out Case but any number of people might not agree.

This also looks good. Good rec. Is this a good introduction to Maugham's works? (I've been putting off Of Human Bondage for years.) Will look into the Greene book as well.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Every single classic is about people having affairs. All of them, from start to finish. It's like asking for books in which sad people have a bad time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Every single classic is about people having affairs. All of them, from start to finish. It's like asking for books in which sad people have a bad time

Murder is not an affair though :confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

The Sun Also Rises for the combination of both into a single relationship?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

Wuthering Heights?

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Book Barn's Horror Thread/Ligotti

lol

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Can anyone recomend good english translations of historical epics. Im looking for the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin or the germanic / norse epics, etc.

No greek or roman stuff please.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TommyGun85 posted:

Can anyone recomend good english translations of historical epics. Im looking for the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin or the germanic / norse epics, etc.

Royall Tyler's Tale of the Heike is very good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

The Shahnameh aka The Persian Book of Kings has a very good translation by Dick Davis. It's the longest poem written by a single author and chronicles all of Persian history from the dawn of time to the Arab conquests

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Until the Day of Judgement my sword shall not see its scabbard; my horse beneath me will be my throne, my feet nowhere but in the stirrups, and my crown will be my helmet. I shall not sleep or rest until I have taken my revenge; the rivers flow with less water than my eyes flow with tears. May the king's soul be resplendent among his glorious peers, and may you comfort yourselves with the knowledge of God's justice, so that your hearts find peace. We are all born for death; we belong to death, and we have given our heads into its keeping.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

the norse texts arent really epics; theyre written in prose and more limited in scope than something like three kingdoms. any of jesse l byock's norse translations are stellar tho

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

I've read Gatsby at least. Kinda funny rec, since you hate that book. Seems like I have Pamuk's Snow, Marquez's Cholera and Spring Snow on my shelf already, too.

Do you have a preferred edition/translation of La Vita Nouva?

This also looks good. Good rec. Is this a good introduction to Maugham's works? (I've been putting off Of Human Bondage for years.) Will look into the Greene book as well.

Of Human Bondage is great and relevant to your request. Also makes a great companion read to Dostoevsky - The Idiot. I really like the translation that is available on PG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TommyGun85 posted:

The Moss Roberts translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms is very highly regarded.