Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I hate all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son's Spanish teacher says that one of the biggest issues for English learners is now how fast the language changes; all the kids you talk to are suddenly saying 'she ethered me' and the learner is going What? Why? You weren't saying that last month.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hate all of you.

That's not very cash money of you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son's Spanish teacher says that one of the biggest issues for English learners is now how fast the language changes; all the kids you talk to are suddenly saying 'she ethered me' and the learner is going What? Why? You weren't saying that last month.

Ether dropped in 2001. Nas and Jay-Z have since made peace.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Animal-Mother posted:

Ether dropped in 2001. Nas and Jay-Z have since made peace.

I am an old, and that was the first "word I had to look up" I could think of.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm starting to get sick of people touching my back instead of saying "behind". I have autism so sensory stuff is kinda rough. If I can see them coming the touch is tolerable, but generally it sucks. The dishpit is right in front of the pass, so most of the time it's servers going past without any announcement. Is it too much to expect FoH to remember that you're supposed to say "behind"?
How should I tactfully bring this up to my coworkers? I don't really want to have to have a bunch of conversations about it. Should I just talk about it with my chef?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm starting to get sick of people touching my back instead of saying "behind". I have autism so sensory stuff is kinda rough. If I can see them coming the touch is tolerable, but generally it sucks. The dishpit is right in front of the pass, so most of the time it's servers going past without any announcement. Is it too much to expect FoH to remember that you're supposed to say "behind"?
How should I tactfully bring this up to my coworkers? I don't really want to have to have a bunch of conversations about it. Should I just talk about it with my chef?

Honestly it depends on your chef's personality. I've known some chefs who, even when told the very good reason why you would prefer people not touch you, would just say suck it up. I've known others who would, without singling you out in any way, let everyone know that saying behind is the only acceptable way to pass someone in the kitchen. If you think he'll fall into the second category talking to them is probably the way to go, especially if you hope to have as few conversations as possible.

For what it's worth, I have the exact some problem with being touched instead of saying behind. It sucks and I also never really found a satisfactory solution.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
worst is when you yell behind and the person three feet in front of you acts like they have earbuds in and make no effort to clear a path

hip checking is violence but drat if i’m not tempted sometimes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I only ever touch someone's back if they are moving backwards into me when I say behind. You clearly didn't hear me, don't run into me while I'm carrying this knife pls thanks

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stab them in the culo:ese:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/metamemetica/status/1229631066274594816?s=21

Remember y’all, asking for a living wage is the equivalent of invading Nazi troops bent on genocide.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TVsVeryOwn posted:

You're in dishpit? Spray 'em with the rinse hose if they do that.

j/k Though you could actually parlay that into a discussion with them. Politely say, "hey I've got a bad startle reflex, I'd really appreciate it if you called 'behind' instead of touching me. I wouldn't want to accidentally soak you with the hose or get food scraps on your outfit/uniform/whatever as I'm flinging dishes around, haha!"

I'd personally go to the chef/KM/FOH M and ask them to give the FOH a reminder, and then go with the one-on-one interaction described above for the ones that just don't seem to get it or listen to rules.

I always say behind, but sometimes do the back-touch as well if poo poo's super loud, or the person I'm coming behind is in the middle of an important conversation (say, with KM or the owner) and might be tuning me out. Or, like in Sandwich's case, is very suddenly backing up and there was no time for them to react to me hustling down the line yelling "behind" because they needed something pulled out the fryer and plated, stat, during a rush on both our parts.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 19, 2020

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You're in dishpit? Spray 'em with the rinse hose if they do that.

j/k Though you could actually parlay that into a discussion with them. Politely say, "hey I've got a bad startle reflex, I'd really appreciate it if you called 'behind' instead of touching me. I wouldn't want to accidentally soak you with the hose or get food scraps on your outfit/uniform/whatever as I'm flinging dishes around, haha!"

I'd personally go to the chef/KM/FOH M and ask them to give the FOH a reminder, and then go with the one-on-one interaction described above for the ones that just don't seem to get it or listen to rules.

I always say behind, but sometimes do the back-touch as well if poo poo's super loud, or the person I'm coming behind is in the middle of an important conversation (say, with KM or the owner) and might be tuning me out. Or, like in Sandwich's case, is very suddenly backing up and there was no time for them to react to me hustling down the line yelling "behind" because they needed something pulled out the fryer and plated, stat.

This seems way too nice. I work with a guy who never says behind but pushes you slightly, my response is always "Putka, say behind and I will move. If you push me again I will stab you with a serving spoon".

He then remembers to say behind for a while.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This all reminds me of volunteering to work a concession stand with an older woman who *really* liked to touch my hips when she passed behind. Still don't know if she was creepy or just had no sense of personal space (because, seriously, who wants to touch a dude's hips?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As FOH it's a complete failure on their part to not say behind. I'll touch some one when I'm carrying something hot that I need to set down before I drop it, or if they're backing up into me. You're in the dish pit, which means you're relatively stationary and everyone walking in should expect you to be there, it's absolutely fine to expect them to say they're walking behind you.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was 100% part of the problem. And while I never touched anybody, saying "Behind" was a maybe at best. I just payed real close attention to what people are doing, and made my moves accordingly. Nobody ever complained because I never walked into anybody, or stayed around long enough for anybody to backstep into me. Most of my "Behind" was directed at new people because I can't know what they're about to do if they have no idea what they're doing themselves.

I know it doesn't excuse it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You should get in the habit of saying "behind" and "corner" to the point you embarrass yourself in public because you say "corner" while walking on the sidewalk (what, no I never did that, you did that, shut up).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

You should get in the habit of saying "behind" and "corner" to the point you embarrass yourself in public because you say "corner" while walking on the sidewalk (what, no I never did that, you did that, shut up).

Me at 7-11 every night when I got off. Someone else would always be at the beer cooler and I'd instinctively say "behind" and get weird looks.

edit: "behind" at 7-11 wasn't so bad, it was when I'd be shopping at Home Depot or somesuch and some guy's standing in front of the item I want and I'd blurt out "coming beside you" and then reach down right next to his crotch with no shame to get the packet of eyebolts I wanted.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Me at 7-11 every night when I got off. Someone else would always be at the beer cooler and I'd instinctively say "behind" and get weird looks.

Or get to the point where you don't loving care and are calling out "CROSSING!" or "BEHIND!" nice and loud with no shame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

I still do this and 'on your left' to people and I haven't worked a professional kitchen in five years.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Raikiri posted:

This seems way too nice. I work with a guy who never says behind but pushes you slightly, my response is always "Putka, say behind and I will move. If you push me again I will stab you with a serving spoon".

He then remembers to say behind for a while.

Pushes? That's outta line. I've only had a gentle touch between the shoulder blades, or maybe on my bicep if that's the most convenient place when we were in a rush and they didn't want me to spook out and drop something. If someone pushed me on the reg, yeah, hose for you.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I call out poo poo like “on your left “on your right” “behind” and “corner” at the grocery store and Costco all the time. They’re goddamn turn signals, people that look at you funny are the same assholes that don’t loving use them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Had a bar manager joke about putting bells on me because he had no peripheral vision and I wasn't yet in the habit of calling out "on your left" and such, being used to working solo.

After a few unintended seats swats I let the keys dangle and eventually learned to call out.

I also tap shoulders based on the side I'm passing on, but I startle easy with unexpected touches too and hadn't connected that, so thanks for putting that out there.

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 19, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

https://twitter.com/metamemetica/status/1229631066274594816?s=21

Remember y’all, asking for a living wage is the equivalent of invading Nazi troops bent on genocide.

That's a drat shame, I learned a lot from their cookbook.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I think due to my restaurants aforementioned ~~good vibes~~ we can be a touchy bunch but we ALWAYS verbalize, OVER VERBALIZE if anything, before touching people. Obviously, in an emergency or dangerous situation, you touch someone if you have to, but our attorney and sexual harassment training are very clear about unwanted touching. I am a hugger, but I always phrase it as "I'm a hugger, are you okay with hugging?" or touching or whatever and when I say that, I don't raise my arms and go in for one as I say it, I approach if from a very neutral physical stance and if someone declines I don't make it weird.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I walk past and say behind and if there isn't really enough room I flat hand on their back as I pass so they know where I am but it's not sexual in any way and if someone told me they were uncomfortable with touching it would be easy to omit

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stringent posted:

That's a drat shame, I learned a lot from their cookbook.

It's okay, management didn't write it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've picked up the habit of announcing 'KNIFE' whenever I have one, be it making stew at my Mom's house or absolutely goddamn alone in my own kitchen. There's probably worse habits to have.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

It's okay, management didn't write it.

...Chad and Liz literally wrote it. That IG story is from Chad. They are the people that hired Sam Singer.

What the gently caress are you talking about.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TVsVeryOwn posted:

As a front of house worker I can say, start violently head butting people who startle you.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

As a front of house worker I can say, start violently head butting people who startle you.

Thank you and everyone else for validating my feelings. I talked to my sous today, he said he'll pass it on to the FoH manager.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was pulling out of the parking garage one night after a long shift and said “corner” as I started to breach the sidewalk

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What does 'corner" mean?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What does 'corner" mean?

It means you’re coming around a corner. And you’re announcing yourself so you don’t run into someone.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Go to an Outback Steakhouse and be very confused as to why people are announcing that they have an "order" while walking into and out of the kitchen until you realize what they're actually saying.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

FFT posted:

Go to an Outback Steakhouse and be very confused as to why people are announcing that they have an "order" while walking into and out of the kitchen until you realize what they're actually saying.

Why would I ever go to an Outback Steakhouse?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Why would I ever go to an Outback Steakhouse?

Bloomin Onion

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Bloomin Onion

just order some onion rings, jfc

edit: We had a cook from Chile for a while this summer and when he would call "fries" it sounded almost exactly like "Bryce", one of the other cooks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

just order some onion rings, jfc

edit: We had a cook from Chile for a while this summer and when he would call "fries" it sounded almost exactly like "Bryce", one of the other cooks.

Not my actual name, but: imagine working at a breakfast place and being named Peg, so every time the biscuit-assembly line yelled "EGG" and you're on or near the flat-top, you whipped your head around and pricked up your ears like a dog who just smelled a squirrel. That was me for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Not my actual name, but: imagine working at a breakfast place and being named Peg, so every time the biscuit-assembly line yelled "EGG" and you're on or near the flat-top, you whipped your head around and pricked up your ears like a dog who just smelled a squirrel. That was me for 2 years.

also not my name but a LOT of words rhyme with “hat”

ppl who touch instead of calling are gross. you have no idea what ppls personal space requirements are so assume no one is ok with it ever and frankly you know better