Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

DrOgreface posted:

Just picked this up and finished the tutorial, played some pvp with the starter Noxus SI deck. Is there a good cheap deck to work towards/regions I should level up first for a brand new account? I’ve played years of Hearthstone and have hit legend a bunch of times so I have a reasonable understanding of card game basics. Rogue is my favorite class in HS. Should I just clear dailies and try to get 3 wins in pvp a day? And should I be rerolling 1k xp quests? Thanks!
You should try to get as many PvP wins as you can on any given day, both for the experience and XP. Three-a-day will get you 1300 XP; if you include the daily quest, you're looking at between 2300 and 2800 XP on a given day provided you do nothing else. But PvP wins award 200 XP per for I think another half dozen wins after the first three, and even beating the AI the first half dozen times or so awards 100 XP per, so honestly you should probably get at least around 4000 XP a day if you're goin' hord. Reroll 1k quests for sure.

There aren't necessarily great analogs for the classes in Hearthstone to LoR, because the class you picked pretty much entirely defined your deck's likely identity in a given meta environment in HS (when I was playing). In LoR you can run Ionia out of Yasuo, Karma, or with pure Elusive aggro, and each one will play very differently. Hearthstone players specifically may have trouble acclimating to the concept of the stack in LoR, but if you're familiar with Magic: The Gathering or something similar you're well on your way, and you've already completed the tutorial, so you probably get it.

For beginners I'd recommend looking into cheap upgrades for your starter decks and then identifying what you like and don't like about how those run. If you want to play a more pure control concept, you should look into Ionia and Freljord; if you prefer removal/burn to control you can look into Piltover & Zaun and Shadow Isles; if you like beefy boys you'll probably enjoy Demacia and Noxus. There is a high degree of variance intra-faction as mentioned so these aren't really hard and fast rules, but they're loose guidelines to point you in the direction you want. Shadow Isles is widely considered to be the current "best" faction in the game, so if you're strictly looking to climb Ranked quickly in the constructed format there are a wide variety of options there, ranging from cheap Dawnspiders aggro to Ephemeral combo decks.

Use your draft token from the tutorial and the free one you get every week for reaching vault level 10+ to draft and get a free Champion card from the rewards; you can get enough shards from a 7-win draft run to pay for your next draft entirely or buy a Champion wildcard outright, which you can use to get a card at your discretion.

My personal recommendation is to play for a week or two to see if you even like the game and get a feel for what type of deck speaks to you, then spend $10 and immediately buy 3 Champion wildcards, using shards and wildcards acquired from region leveling to fill in the deck you're trying to build. There are a pretty wide variety of decks that function perfectly well with 3 or fewer Champion cards, many of which I'd argue are extremely good in the current meta. You can get an Ezreal wombo combo deck, a low-rent Dawnspiders deck, or an Ashe Frostbite deck more or less rolling in less than a week for the $10 tag and a lot of playing the game. Each faction has a Champion capsule at level 8 of their reward path, which is guaranteed to contain at least 1 Champion from that faction (which may upgrade into a wildcard!), so your best use of time is probably to raise each of them up to 8 before going wholly ham on any purchases you may or may not be contemplating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dawnspiders is actually super cheap to make with only regular play, but it's gonna get hit with the SI nerf hammer so I don't think I'd recommend building it. SI/Noxus aggro os cheaper and still pretty effective but again, SI nerf.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Thanks for the advice all. I already hit legend in HS this month so I thought I’d check this out. Have a job/family so I won’t be grinding anything. My favorite decks in HS have been tempo rogue and tempo mage, I also like some combo elements, but don’t play control too often, especially in a game/meta I don’t know. I did like the Aviana Kun Maly Druid deck a lot and I also played freeze mage some. I’ll check out the freljord starter deck. Looking at LoR decks quickly, ephemeral combo and frostbite decks sound interesting

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DrOgreface posted:

Thanks for the advice all. I already hit legend in HS this month so I thought I’d check this out.
Have a job/family so I won’t be grinding anything.

:thunk:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

DrOgreface posted:

I already hit legend in HS this month [...] I won’t be grinding anything.

On a serious note,

DrOgreface posted:

My favorite decks in HS have been tempo rogue and tempo mage, I also like some combo elements, but don't play control too often, especially in a game/meta I don't know. [...] Looking at LoR decks quickly, ephemeral combo and frostbite decks sound interesting
The most popular deck archetypes that feature Frostbite are basically tempo decks, though they're often erroneously called control or midrange. The biggest hitters in the deck are typically Trifarian Gloryseeker, Avarosan Hearthguard, and Ashe, who are strong but not big gently caress-you finishers like Tryndamere, Darius, and Commander Ledros. You're going to get a lot of your damage from dink and dunk poo poo like Icevale Archer, Rimefang Wolf, cheap cards like Gloryseeker, etc., or you need to set up an instant-win turn with freezes and leveled Ashe. Legion Drummer setting up Gloryseeker to clear the deck for a 4/2 Icevale Archer or some poo poo is a pretty solid tempo play, or if you run Elixirs and Avalanche you just buff your threat and clear the decks. You also still want the game to end before you're at 10 mana crystals each, preferably. Moreover freezes ultimately don't work like straight control options such as Will of Ionia or the removal suite in Shadow Isles/burn suite in P&Z - they create advantageous trades early or stall an aggro deck for just long enough to get rolling, and then hit them while their opponent can't block for just enough to win. The ability for Frostbite decks to just straight up delete units depends on a specific Challenger or going into Demacia for Detain, which nobody does.

Control decks that have Frostbite in them tend to be stuff like Ezreal wombo combo or Freljord/Ionia Karma shenanigans, not what is actually frequently posted as #1 DECK NA MASTER TIER 88% WINRATE on DoR or YouTube.

tl;dr if you like tempo decks then Frostbite is a pretty solid shell to build, because that's basically what it is, especially in Freljord/Noxus.

e: Here is my current Ashe/Frostbite decklist, although I change it kinda day to day with including Culling Strike and Rimetusk Shaman over Elixir of Iron and Avalanche or vice versa. I personally prefer the former two to the latter two cards but I don't think it's necessarily better.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 17, 2020

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Haha, HS was a very easy climb for me this month, was wrecking people with Quest Hunter. HS is on mobile so I can play a few games during lunch at work and generally sneak games in, Runeterra will require me sitting at my laptop at home which is much harder to get time to do.

Thanks for the frostbite talk and list that sounds a lot like tempo and what I like to me and probably what I’ll check out first!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DrOgreface posted:

Haha, HS was a very easy climb for me this month, was wrecking people with Quest Hunter. HS is on mobile so I can play a few games during lunch at work and generally sneak games in, Runeterra will require me sitting at my laptop at home which is much harder to get time to do.

Thanks for the frostbite talk and list that sounds a lot like tempo and what I like to me and probably what I’ll check out first!

I don't think we'll be able to accurately judge the popularity of Runeterra until it does get to mobile. These kinds of games are perfect for the on the go experience.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've become so enamored with Runeterra that I can't play Eternal anymore. Which means, until Runeterra comes out on mobile, Duolingo's my pooping game of choice. Yo estoy muy feliz con Runeterra.

I thought it was interesting that they announced their "big patch, small patch" schedule with a small patch. Very excited / curious to see what we can expect every four weeks for the big patches. Lot of expectation-setting is going to happen at 11 AM Pacific today.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

My expectation is that we see very few major changes, a decent amount of small changes, and a large amount of minor tweaks. Ideally the major changes would be bringing stuff that sucks up so it can compete, and the game doesn't become a minefield of newbie-trap cards, but if the balance philosophy is anything similar to League of Legends it will likely be nerfs that are going to be the most dramatic while a wide swath of other stuff gets incrementally better.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they changed virtually nothing, although the vibe I get from talking about LoR is that this would annoy a good deal of folks who have already decided that the meta is solved.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

My expectation is that we see very few major changes, a decent amount of small changes, and a large amount of minor tweaks. Ideally the major changes would be bringing stuff that sucks up so it can compete, and the game doesn't become a minefield of newbie-trap cards, but if the balance philosophy is anything similar to League of Legends it will likely be nerfs that are going to be the most dramatic while a wide swath of other stuff gets incrementally better.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they changed virtually nothing, although the vibe I get from talking about LoR is that this would annoy a good deal of folks who have already decided that the meta is solved.

The power creep in league is immense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope they don't do the card game thing of killing aggro. I mean, it needs tuning but lemme still play aggro. Leave my OP spider lady alone.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The power creep in league is immense.
In my experience, it's power creep introduced by wholly new heroes, not rescuing someone who was in the dumpster. Aphelios is a good example of insane power creep, but he's like two months old. Meanwhile, Corki just got buffed, and is... largely still bad comparatively speaking.

When expansions hit and new stuff hits, I absolutely believe that that poo poo will be crazy. As for existing stuff, nah, I think most changes will be nerfs.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Patch notes are up in Russian, apparently: https://playruneterra.com/ru-ru/news/patch-0-9-0-notes/

Translation from reddit:

Lux is now 4/5 and 5/6 when leveled up.

Yasuo is needs to stun/recall 1 less unit to level up.

Back to back is 6 mana.

Arena Battlecaster has 2 health.

Crimson Curator has 3 health.

Deny costs 4.

Inspiring mentor has 2 health, but only gives +1/+0 to a unit in hand.

Jeweled protector is now 4/4.

Kinkou Lifeblade is now 2/2.

Commander Ledros costs 9, has 9 strength and nexus health is rounded up.

Rhasa costs 8.

Scuttlegeist has fearsome.

Tortured Progidy has 4 strength now.

Wraithcaller lost fearsome.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hecarim is somehow left untouched.
I'm expecting a lot of frostbite tempo after this patch.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Having just crafted my third Ashe, I'm okay with this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

In my experience, it's power creep introduced by wholly new heroes, not rescuing someone who was in the dumpster. Aphelios is a good example of insane power creep, but he's like two months old. Meanwhile, Corki just got buffed, and is... largely still bad comparatively speaking.

When expansions hit and new stuff hits, I absolutely believe that that poo poo will be crazy. As for existing stuff, nah, I think most changes will be nerfs.

They take old stuff every so often, such as aatrox, and just throw a bunch of poo poo at them

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Might not be full patch notes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that inspiring mentor nerf would be brutal.

These days I think the strongest things in the game are zed stand alone, heimerdinger flash of insight, and hecarim so if those arent addressed expect more of them. Deny to 4 wpuld change a lot of things tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Kinkou lifeblade doesn't seem worth it to me now. The 2/2 that draws a card is better and cheaper.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-0-notes/

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

No Hec Nerf :mad:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Chernabog posted:

Kinkou lifeblade doesn't seem worth it to me now. The 2/2 that draws a card is better and cheaper.

Still seems worth it to me. Shadow Assassin is probably a better card overall now, but they serve two entirely different functions in the deck. The lifesteal on Kinkou stops faster decks from just completely bowling you over by letting you stabilize.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Well, at least the other nerfs make SI players' curve slightly more awkward on turn 6/7/8. It might be enough to keep Hecarim in check.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imo lifeblade didnt need the nerf with mentor dead (mentor is mega dead) but I'm not sad.

I'm a bit concerned Ezrael/Heimer will take over but maybe there are more answers idk.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't think mentor is dead, you still need it if you are also playing conspirators. Unless you happen to have another better thing to bounce such as a hawk.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Wondering if that Lux buff makes a Demacia/PnZ Lux/Ez deck focusing on spell spam viable now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mentor nerf was probably justified but that really does cut the legs out from under Elusive rushdown, since 2-removal is much easier to get in multiple decks. (Everyone except Demacia has 2-removal options)

I'm a little surprised they didn't do something about Hecarim (too good) or Kalista (terrible trash). They might be worried about making too many changes to any single region, going after wraithcaller, ledros, and rhasa was a decent amount.

Deny to 4 is going to be super interesting, makes Slow speed cards a lot less risky in general and I think frees up people to think about different splashes than Ionia.

Overall I think P/Z is going to be the major beneficiary of this and we're gonna see a lot more Ez and Heimer after tuesday.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have a lux + ionia spell deck that is super fun to play because of the ridiculous variety of removal options, but I feel like the lux buff isn't enough to counteract the deny nerf so I may need to scrap it now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The spiders are safe, time to go fast.

Actually it wasn't that bad of a Dawnspiders nerf either, it just makes the curve worse in the bottom end.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Skitterer, Hecarim, Mark of the Isles all untouched while elusives are knocked down... Jesus Christ

Are they open to hotfix nerfs or do we really have to wait another 2 weeks for them to inevitably nerf Hecarim like they should've done this time? He's just blatantly, strictly overpowered and frontloaded without needing to level. You don't even need Rhasa when you kill them on turn 6

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hecarim is at least blockable with trash blockers, which will be more viable since Wraithcaller won't be fearsome anymore.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Kinda glad mentor is getting nerfed because this was this guys round loving 2 and then turn 4 he puts out a 4/4 teemo lmao

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Warning: if you have a 7 win draft finished but not claimed yet, the shards for it will go down tomorrow by 500 so claim it now.

Similarly if you have a 6 win draft don't claim it, the patch will increase the shards by 500.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Scuttlegeist was already a favorite card of mine, especially in expeditions, now it's just that much better.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The funny part is I mostly used Inspiring Mentor to buff Yasuo. I really wish they would've made him a 4/4.

The shout-out about putting Control on the watchlist is also hilarious considering all the best decks are aggro and midrange, full stop. I guess bumping Ledros and Rhasa up by 1 mana will need a slower dechahahahahaha

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Finally got my first ever seven wins run on expedition with noxus/shadow isles. I had a single Atrocity in the deck and it won me five of the games :v:

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
If I’m starting up and wanting to build a Freljord/Noxus frostbite tempo deck, does it matter which region I level up first?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You usually get more cards from the region you level up.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yes, most of the region rewards are specific to those, so if you actively don’t care about most of them focus on the ones you want. The breakpoints for the larger rewards are at 4, 8, etc. Probably get both of those to 4, then both to 8. I forgot if any regions have wild capsules at 8 but if so you’d probably want to get those next, then those two to 12+. Wild is the keyword for stuff that’s not region specific basically, so just keep that in mind when looking to level the regions you’re interested in vs some unrelated one. Also the chests give shards which also can be used in cards from any region, or more efficiently for general collection building, for expeditions.

breaks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I just used Stand United on Shen and a follower after I'd put them both out to block (but before I'd confirmed blockers) and instead of swapping them, it put them both back out of combat and I didn't have time to get both of them back out to block because my timer was almost up by the time Shen's level up animation finished :v: