Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think they've dropped enough info on the cast that theres potential for all of them, but the show hasn't even begun to dig into any of them yet. Everyone is clearly haunted by the trauma of the loss of someone they cared about (the pattern is so clear that you can tell this week we'll learn about chakotay's death).

The story feels a bit like its moving at the pace of The Witcher - at the end of the season the only thing that will have been achieved is the cast being united.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alchenar posted:

I think they've dropped enough info on the cast that theres potential for all of them, but the show hasn't even begun to dig into any of them yet. Everyone is clearly haunted by the trauma of the loss of someone they cared about (the pattern is so clear that you can tell this week we'll learn about chakotay's death).

The story feels a bit like its moving at the pace of The Witcher - at the end of the season the only thing that will have been achieved is the cast being united.

This is disturbingly accurate. Can only hope by then they'll have learned what the audience likes and doesn't like and being a Star Trek show get to follow up on it.

Still really like the idea of a brutally honest Australian Romulan samurai, but I'm biased. Also still reckon people shouldn't bitch too much about Romulan lore since it's basically a gimme as Star Trek lore goes. Kinda hope we see more Remans, mostly because I like the sympathetic STO portrayal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CPColin posted:

They need to deepfake Majel Barrett's voice to deliver the "Last time on Star Trek Picard" lines. :colbert:

Before she died, they recorded Majel speaking every word and English phoneme so she could be the computer voice forever.

Kurtzmann & co will never use it

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I pushed the toilet to the brink of destruction.
I did this believing there was a fail-safe, a simple button to shut it all down. But in the circumstances I created, there wasn't.

Yeah it's more of a valve.

That or dump boron over it by helicopter

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ashpanash posted:

That or dump boron over it by helicopter

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can people stop being strict about genres, they don't matter. There's no debate in sci-fi more tedious than the debate over "is X proper sci-fi?"

FuturePastNow posted:

Before she died, they recorded Majel speaking every word and English phoneme so she could be the computer voice forever.

Kurtzmann & co will never use it

People keep saying this, but does this ghoulish voice actually sound any good? Have we heard it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

marktheando posted:

People keep saying this, but does this ghoulish voice actually sound any good? Have we heard it?

Majel's got a hell of an inflection.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

marktheando posted:

Yeah I bet it sounds really artificial...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Recording every phenome and having a huge library of sounds will be extremely useful to create voice fakes in production of shows in, oh, maybe five years or so? We're on our way there but it's still pretty much prototypes. In all likelihood creating natural sounding lines in a person's voice will end up working similar to visual deepfakes - you'll have a voice actor record their own take on the lines and then software mutates that into a target voice. That way language nitty-gritty like emphasis and inflections and the actual acting and emotions in the words can be sourced from the voice actor.

There's been work done in the field - Adobe Voco was demo'd but never went anywhere, but there's other people exploring it. It'll be great for computer games, because you can have one overworked voice actor record all your lines and then mutate him into two hundred different NPCs.

EDIT: although that said, even synthesis that doesn't depend on the deepfake-voice technique I mentioned has come really far. Look up the WaveNet synthesis demos. They just can't be done in real-time yet, I believe. It might be possible to use wavenet-like software to create Majel computer lines today.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 17, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah I bet it sounds really artificial...

If it sounds like siri or alexa or whatever that totally isn't good enough to use for tv.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7umhCkklOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

marktheando posted:

If it sounds like siri or alexa or whatever that totally isn't good enough to use for tv.

I could see them using a more computery sounding voice as part of the anti-synth movement so people don't confuse the computer with a real person or start thinking it has rights.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Send the next one in.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

marktheando posted:

It's a joke, chief

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh goddamnit Emmet stands for EMergency Tactical hologram doesn't it I'm not smart.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Powered Descent posted:

:gowron:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Oh goddamnit Emmet stands for EMergency Tactical hologram doesn't it I'm not smart.

I dunno but Spanish Jason Momoa can activate anytime :getin:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Read Alert

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems more an unintended side effect of time travel, though from what I've read it seems confusing whether it's where Link vanishes at the time of need Avatar style or whether he just flat out dies, losing to Ganondorf.

Also, the ending is definitely a contrast to the 1602 comics, where a backwardly time-displaced Steve Rogers wants to stick around and try to build an America free from prejudice from the start.

Wow, so they had a precedent for Cap wanting to go back and make a Good America and they chose to just stick him in Bad America an be fine with it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Bloop posted:

Read Alert

I genuinely enjoyed the Reed Alert joke in Enterprise, i might well be the only one

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
If they want a truly unwinnable scenario, they just need to get Geordi to make one like Moriarty.

"Computer, create a Kobayashi Maru scenario that even James T Kirk couldn't cheat."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

just another posted:

VOICE OVER
Next time on... Star Trek: Picard.

INT. LA SIRENA - BRIDGE

PICARD
We'll need an Engineer. Fortunately,
the House of Gurok produces the finest
in the quadrant, and they owe me a favor.

RAFFI
Gurok will never risk his seat on the High
Council to help you after what you did!

Chris looks unimpressed and surly.

CUT TO:

INT. KLINGON HOUSEHOLD

GUROK
You have a lot of nerve showing your face
here again, Picard. I should kill you where
you stand!

PICARD
Not likely, Gurok. You are a pacifist.
Your House foreswore violence at Kahless'
deathbed.

Gurok guffaws and claps him on the back.

CUT TO:

INT. ROMULAN RECLAMATION SITE - NAREK'S BEDROOM

RIZZO
If you lie to me again, Narek, I will suck
your tongue from your mouth.

FADE OUT

Wow this...seems extremely on point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I genuinely enjoyed the Reed Alert joke in Enterprise, i might well be the only one

no, it was good

Most of Enterprise was good. It just mostly wasn't Good Trek (defined as well-handled moral conundrums and aspirational human togetherness)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always loved the "Reed Alert" joke because it seemed like a pretty self-aware poke at prequel "Easter eggs" or whatever you want to call that sort of thing

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Enterprise was certainly better than its reputation, but it wasn't particularly good for the most part. That said, aside from the 9/11 Git'er Done arc (which was more egregiously anti-Trek than anything we've seen since) and the reverse-pregnancy I'm not sure it ever hit the lows of early TNG or S1 DS9.

The cynical and pathetic exploitation of Jolene Blalock does deserve pointing out as a blot on the franchise though. Partially redeemed by letting her actually be an actor in the later seasons.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Enterprise was certainly better than its reputation, but it wasn't particularly good for the most part. That said, aside from the 9/11 Git'er Done arc (which was more egregiously anti-Trek than anything we've seen since) and the reverse-pregnancy I'm not sure it ever hit the lows of early TNG or S1 DS9.

The cynical and pathetic exploitation of Jolene Blalock does deserve pointing out as a blot on the franchise though. Partially redeemed by letting her actually be an actor in the later seasons.

Can't the same be said about Jeri Ryan? Or was there a practical reason for that ridiculous skin tight cat suit they put her in?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The one where Archer is wondering if he should interfere with a pre-warp civilisation and says "We need some kind of.. directive" isn't meant to be a joke though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always loved the "Reed Alert" joke because it seemed like a pretty self-aware poke at prequel "Easter eggs" or whatever you want to call that sort of thing

The best Enterprise in-joke is the one that references the deleted alternate ending to Nemesis where Picard gets a new first officer and a new captain's chair--WITH SEATBELTS HOLY poo poo. They reuse the same model chair for the NX-01 Season 4 upgrade, and when Archer starts poking around at the buttons on it he's about to press one and Tucker goes "Ah, yeah, no, don't touch that one." And its the same button Picard presses that makes the seatbelts spring out of nowhere.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, and its the stupidest most obscure inside joke that probably only 10 people would have gotten at the time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn527 posted:

Or was there a practical reason for that ridiculous skin tight cat suit they put her in?

what could it possibly be?

Seven was given a line saying it was more efficient or something (And the heels too I guess lol)

It was just embarrassing nerd bate-bait, that was the "practical" reason

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thrawn527 posted:

Can't the same be said about Jeri Ryan? Or was there a practical reason for that ridiculous skin tight cat suit they put her in?

Yup. She looked fine in the 5 seconds we've had of her on The JL Show so far.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“We need some kind of...Star Trek: Enterprise. Only on UPN”

*Archer looks directly at camera for an uncomfortable 40 seconds*

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"Perhaps in the future, another crew can have their own Original Series of adventures"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

what could it possibly be?

Seven was given a line saying it was more efficient or something (And the heels too I guess lol)

It was just embarrassing nerd bate-bait, that was the "practical" reason

I think the explanation given for her original flashy silver suit was that it was needed to protect her skin as she audjusted to life free from her Borg exoskeleton suit. Which was bullshit, but if they kept it for like a couple of episodes or just till the end of the season it would have been... okay-ish? But no, Rick Berman wanted to show off Jeri Ryan's body to reel in horny nerds, even though every time they put Seven in a uniform or normal non-catsuit clothes she looked WAY better.

It just sucked because according to Ryan she had to get tied into a corset to fit into the catsuit and it really hosed up her back wearing it. So gently caress Rick Berman for making people literally suffer for the shameful benefit for harvesting nerdsweat.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Troi - looked better in a real uniform
7 of 9 - looked better in a real uniform
T'Pol - looked better in a real uniform

poo poo, the bajoran getup was fine, but also
Kira - looked better in a Starfleet uniform

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's funny/cool that Jeri Ryan is probably the Star Trek crew member most likely to be mentioned in history books written centuries from now, with the role her divorce played in the start of Obama's career.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

Kira - looked better in a Starfleet uniform

This one— nope.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's fine, not Starfleet but clearly a duty uniform.

Strap-on gorilla arms are a bit silly.

She looks good here. It's not dramatic like the others, but still an improvement imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

just another posted:

The unrealistic part is that we're only just now hearing about them but they're being accorded the status of Explicit and Ancient Tal Shiar Nemesis.

You'd think that at some point in TNG or DS9, it might have come up that there was a militant faction in Romulan Society that was in direct opposition to the Tal Shiar, but I guess not, let's go with this storyline anyway because it's a cool idea.

Imagine the perfect Romulan accountant: one who refuses on principle to ever keep an accurate ledger, for fear another might learn the truth of it.