Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

If Iranian media reported on that day's rocket attack (it did) and Trump's blowhard rhetoric (it did) I can pretty easily see why a few people out of ~9 million might have cameras pointed at the night sky in Tehran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Warbadger posted:

If Iranian media reported on that day's rocket attack (it did) and Trump's blowhard rhetoric (it did) I can pretty easily see why a few people out of ~9 million might have cameras pointed at the night sky in Tehran.

Good point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1215841813644431361

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How very refreshing with an admission of a massive fuckup from Iran.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Russian propaganda tried to blame it on USA. Now everyone will quietly forget about it.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Poland really needs to book more flights to Smolensk

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So what did Putin say during his annual speach that justified dissolving the government?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

So what did Putin say during his annual speach that justified dissolving the government?

Not much, it's a ritual at this point for Medvedev's cabinet of ministres to resign. Maybe this time around Medvedev will get sacrificed for Putin's approval ratings, and shift from parliament to security council.

Gist of speech was that Putin does not want another presidential term, so he is changing the constitution to remain in power without doing boring stuff after 2024.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Apparently the head of tax service the s the new PM, and coincidentally (?) Kafyrov is off vacationning or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Does it really matter who the PM is in the Russian system?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Generally no, but then there was that time in 1999 when some obscure guy named Vladimir Putin was named PM by Yeltsin...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Putin is proposing constitutional changes that will significantly weaken the presidency and significantly strengthen the PM, so it will matter in a few years which coincidentally will be when Putin has to stop being president again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

anilEhilated posted:

As long as the PM is Putin, no!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Somehow yes

Grandpa is old now despite all botox injections and clearly has a very limited understanding about things in the country, so PM and their cabinet decide a lot of things and can be a conduit for particular power groups in the upper circles.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

anilEhilated posted:

Does it really matter what Putins role is called in the Russian system?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I finally had the opportunity to watch 17 moments of spring, which I thought was both fantastic and fascinating. I know the cultural impact of the show can't be underestimated, the original broadcasts attracted about ~80 million viewers per episode, which is absolutely insane for a serialized fiction show. I wonder how much the character of Stierlitz influenced perceptions of Putin though, both being KGB agents stationed in Germany? I definitely explains how Russia can have a "KGB day," when I don't think a "spy day" would fly, even in the US.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's only a KGB day in the same way that every job has its own 'day' nobody outside of that profession knows or cares about. I had to google rn to confirm it even exists.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

I finally had the opportunity to watch 17 moments of spring, which I thought was both fantastic and fascinating. I know the cultural impact of the show can't be underestimated, the original broadcasts attracted about ~80 million viewers per episode, which is absolutely insane for a serialized fiction show. I wonder how much the character of Stierlitz influenced perceptions of Putin though, both being KGB agents stationed in Germany? I definitely explains how Russia can have a "KGB day," when I don't think a "spy day" would fly, even in the US.

Sure. Soviet cinema carefully cultivated the image of a stoic spy or a lifelong russian officer with a mark of sadness and weight of time on their face. See also the Resident series starring Georgii Zhenov about a double agent that defects to KGB. To mark the difference between good and bad spies Soviet movies and books deliberately call soviet ones "scouts", while "spies" are always ones that work for the enemy.

In Putin era a lot was done in popular culture so people would associate rats or brutes of Russian intelligence with proper cop/spy image - endless movies and series about fatherly officers who make hard decisions. Like, the modern russian remake of 12 Angry Men is a movie about a wise Putin-like figure who dramatically sheds a single tear saying "There are no FORMER Russian Officers" solving the Russian-Chechen relations.

As a curious ontopic trivia, Madeline Albright once asked Evgeni Primakov (intelligence operative in the Middle East in Soviet era and very important 90s political figure as a Minister of Foreign Affairs) with whom he associated himself in John Le Carre novels. Obviously, she expected him to say Karla, George Smiley's admired, extremely smart and mostly unseen KGB nemesis, but Primakov said Smiley instead. Everyone sees themselves as a heroic protagonist and national heroic mythmaking crosses languages well most of the time.

woodenchicken posted:

There's only a KGB day in the same way that every job has its own 'day' nobody outside of that profession knows or cares about. I had to google rn to confirm it even exists.

Yeah, similarly to the Paratrooper Day or the Border Forces Day where you have extreme amounts of drunk ex-soldiers roaming in all major cities looking for fights

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, similarly to the Paratrooper Day or the Border Forces Day where you have extreme amounts of drunk ex-soldiers roaming in all major cities looking for fights
Paratrooper Day and Auto Body Shop Employee Day are notable exceptions of course.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

It is incredibly boring, I doubt that anyone younger than 50 watched the show. In my case, numerous jokes about Stirlitz had bigger cultural impact than the show itself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

It is incredibly boring, I doubt that anyone younger than 50 watched the show. In my case, numerous jokes about Stirlitz had bigger cultural impact than the show itself.

Make it younger than 25. When a colourised version premiered on TV about ten years ago, it's definitely reignited some interest. And before that, around 2000, there was a brilliant NTV documentary series by Leonid Parfenov that also helped to popularise it among younger audience.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sekenr posted:

It also was apparently singlehandly responsible for soviet Neo-nazis, which is hilarious.

quote:

It is incredibly boring

Sure, it's slow, but from a modern perspective I think that is kinda appreciable.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/olgaNYC1211/sta...%3D1740%23pti37

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Which districy volgograd 2?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

He also has Serbian citizenship, and he's Lukashenko's buddy too. Maybe his plan is to unite all Slav kingdoms.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think I am missing some context

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Putin and Lukashenko have partnered up with the world's stupidest greatest supervillain, Doctor Dinosaur?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
All in the name of work site safety

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

I was hoping someone had some.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I just assumed Seagal got a makeover?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

It's Lukashenko's other, less scary son.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
you see all these "chinese" construction projects around Minsk but you never realize they're actually stealthed raptor operations

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We just published our latest investigation into Russian spies in Europe with Spiegel and The Insider, this time we've got our hands on the detailed mobile data of the killer of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin last August

quote:

“V” For “Vympel”: FSB’s Secretive Department “V” Behind Assassination of Georgian Asylum Seeker in Germany

-In our previous investigation of the murder of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili on August 23, 2019 in Berlin, we identified the suspected assassin — who traveled under the fake identity of Vadim Sokolov, 49 — as Vadim Krasikov, 54. We disclosed that Krasikov had a prior criminal history that involved at least two contract killings, once in Karelia in 2007, and one in Moscow in 2013

- We disclosed that as of 2013, Krasikov had been wanted for murder by Russia under an Interpol Red Notice warrant. However, in 2015 the warrant was withdrawn and evidence of his criminal past had been cleansed from Russian databases

- We concluded that the sophisticated procedure of issuing valid documents in the name of a fake persona, along with the full registration of such non-existing person in all government databases, could not have been done without the direct involvement of the Russian State.

A months-long investigation by Bellingcat and its partners, The Insider and Der Spiegel, has uncovered that the assassination of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin last August was planned and organized by Russia’s FSB security agency. The preparation for the murder was supervised directly by Eduard Bendersky, chairman of the Vympel Charitable Fund For Former FSB Spetsnaz Officers, and other senior members of the fund, apparently to provide a veneer of deniability. However, we have determined that essential support for the operation — both for training the assassin and for issuance of false identity papers — was provided directly by the FSB and on the grounds of the FSB’s so-called Center of Special Operations.

In addition, we confirmed that both the FSB and Russian police were aware of the true identity of the detained killer but chose to lie to the German authorities by denying that “Vadim Sokolov” was a fake identity. Russian authorities also attempted to scrub all public data relating to the killer’s true identity, as well as data linked to his immediate family.

This investigation conclusively establishes that the main security service of the Russian state plotted, prepared, and perpetrated the 2019 extraterritorial assassination in Germany’s capital. Alternative hypotheses linking the murder in criminal groups, to Chechnya’s ruler Ramzan Kadyrov, or even to a personal vendetta by rogue former or current security officers, can now be excluded as improbable.

Lots of details in there, and we've another major Russian spy story coming on in the next 7 days or so.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Brown Moses posted:

We just published our latest investigation into Russian spies in Europe with Spiegel and The Insider, this time we've got our hands on the detailed mobile data of the killer of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin last August

Lots of details in there, and we've another major Russian spy story coming on in the next 7 days or so.

How this stuff isn't being transformed into Tom Clancy spy novels and James Bond movies is beyond me

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm hoping as a follow up to our MH17 podcast series to do 6-8 episodes about all this spy stuff, as a lot of it is interlinked, and I'd think it would work really nicely in that format. It's true crime, but with actual spies, the only problem we have is knowing where to stop investigating, we've probably got material as it is for a dozen major investigations, and we keep finding more as we dig. We've massive amounts of leaked Russian databases and other material, and keep expanding it with each investigation, which means we can go back to earlier investigations and find more details and leads.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I'm hoping as a follow up to our MH17 podcast series to do 6-8 episodes about all this spy stuff, as a lot of it is interlinked, and I'd think it would work really nicely in that format. It's true crime, but with actual spies, the only problem we have is knowing where to stop investigating, we've probably got material as it is for a dozen major investigations, and we keep finding more as we dig. We've massive amounts of leaked Russian databases and other material, and keep expanding it with each investigation, which means we can go back to earlier investigations and find more details and leads.

It's when your staff starts reporting an inexplicable metallic taste and/or take the day off due to nausea after drinking tea at the office.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is the new thing going to touch on that Chechen critic that was killed in his french hotel a couple weeks back? That one seemed pretty stinky too.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

No, something brand new, it's not been reported anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Somehow this is happening in Ukraine.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/20/ukraine-protesters-clash-with-police-over-coronavirus-evacuees

quote:

Ukraine’s effort to quarantine more than 70 people evacuated from China over the new virus outbreak plunged into chaos Thursday as local residents hurled stones at buses carrying the evacuees and engaged in violent clashes with police.

If nothing else, this goes to show that Zelenskyi's attempts to unify the country were unsuccessful to put it mildly.