Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like to buy my father a new television for his birthday, and I'd like some help. All that he cares about is that it is 4K - we have three devices connected to it that can play Netflix, so it can be a dumb TV and there wouldn't be a problem. 50", ideally.

stealth edit: Oh, no Alexa, please.

not-so-stealth edit: Price is an issue, so keep it under $500.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dumb TVs are facing extinction, nobody's wasting a quality panel on them. You can get a 55" TCL that's 4k and you don't have to connect to to the home WiFi.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I recently got a TV with Roku built-in and that's all fine and whatever. I like how it will read video files off a USB, but what is the fundamental reason it can't do the same from a network share? It's just a mounted volume... is it licensing crap? I know I can set up Plex or equivalent, but why do I have to jump through the DLNA hoops?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plex is pretty great though and stupid easy to setup. But yeah I don’t have an answer for you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm having an HDR passthrough issue. I just got an Onkyo tx-nr676 with my Vizio P65. It's not showing HDR / 4k RGB through my PS4 Pro. Thus far I have made sure that:

1. My TV has the input enabled for UHD mode.
2. I ensured the cable wasn't the issue by directly plugging the PS4 into the TV and was able to get HDR/RGB that way.
3. I put my receiver in "enhanced" 4k mode which was apparently an issue that onkyo put out a firmware update for last April.

I'll call onkyo support tomorrow but I'm wondering if I'm blatantly missing something.

Edit: I switched my HDMI receiver to a different port on my TV and that worked. Technology!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 17, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

bull3964 posted:

I remain very skeptical of this. ANY emissive display is going to be subject to differential aging, it just comes with the territory.

Whether or not it happens at a fast enough rate to be an issue though is the real question.

Not the same at all but SSDs are in a similar place. They have a limit on the amount of writes you can make to them before they become unusable but on modern drives a consumer will never reach it before the drive itself becomes obsolete. So as long as OLED or similar tech can do the same it won't matter if it has burn-in or not that much.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I remain very skeptical of this. ANY emissive display is going to be subject to differential aging, it just comes with the territory.

Whether or not it happens at a fast enough rate to be an issue though is the real question.
Obviously nothing is entirely free of wear, but it should be significantly better than OLED, and everything I've read about the technology so far indicates it should age similarly to full size LEDs. There will be a loss of peak brightness over time, but the time involved should be so long that consumers shouldn't need to care about it even if they want to watch CNN 8 hours a day.

Another potential factor if they do wear at a higher than expected rate is the increased peak brightness might allow a manufacturer to keep some brightness "in reserve" and track usage over time to automatically compensate. It'd be really easy to track, with a 64 bit counter per subpixel coming in just under 200 megabytes which would give you enough resolution to track every single PWM cycle for a few million years. Obviously I wouldn't expect the lower end of the market to get that any time soon, but I don't expect the lower end of the market to get off LCD for a long time anyways because it's really cheap and easily good enough for most people.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I was pretty excited about getting a new TV (TCL 6 series), but my old plasma still looks great and $450 could go towards so much other stuff, so now I just want to get a mount for my old TV. Mostly so the kids stop touching it. I have a Panasonic TC-P54G25. Can I just use any kind of mount or because it's 10 years old there's some model specific mount only made by one company I have to use?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your old TV doesn't look great you're just brainwashed.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ok. Well it looks fine for mostly watching lovely kid movies on Netflix.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just make sure it's rated for the weight.

Speaking of... finally sold my 12 year old Samsung Plasma today. $75

Had to come down after weeks of nobody biting. Several buyers backed out at the last second because of the weight of the thing (NINETY GODDAMN POUNDS)

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I am bummed that I didn't pull the trigger on the 65" TCL 6-series for $500 at Costco or Best Buy right before the Super Bowl. It looks like now they're mostly gone already. Costco has them back at that price but they were out of stock online almost immediately and I couldn't fit a 65" TV into my car even if I did find one in-store. It's hard to buy a 55" now knowing that the 65" can theoretically be found in a similar price range with a bit of patience. It doesn't look like there's much comparable without going up another couple hundred bucks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BonoMan posted:

Just make sure it's rated for the weight.

Speaking of... finally sold my 12 year old Samsung Plasma today. $75

Had to come down after weeks of nobody biting. Several buyers backed out at the last second because of the weight of the thing (NINETY GODDAMN POUNDS)

Pretty sure it’s made out of the same stuff as the sun so that makes sense.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I am bummed that I didn't pull the trigger on the 65" TCL 6-series for $500 at Costco or Best Buy right before the Super Bowl. It looks like now they're mostly gone already. Costco has them back at that price but they were out of stock online almost immediately and I couldn't fit a 65" TV into my car even if I did find one in-store. It's hard to buy a 55" now knowing that the 65" can theoretically be found in a similar price range with a bit of patience. It doesn't look like there's much comparable without going up another couple hundred bucks.

The pro miser move is to wait until next (this) year’s Black Friday. If you wait, there WILL be deals.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes the pro move is to spend years and years thinking about and obsessing over buying a TV but never actually buying it.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yes the pro move is to spend years and years thinking about and obsessing over buying a TV and then buying it.

:hmmyes:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: wrong thread obviously

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 18, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Shyfted One posted:

I was pretty excited about getting a new TV (TCL 6 series), but my old plasma still looks great and $450 could go towards so much other stuff, so now I just want to get a mount for my old TV. Mostly so the kids stop touching it. I have a Panasonic TC-P54G25. Can I just use any kind of mount or because it's 10 years old there's some model specific mount only made by one company I have to use?

That is definitely going far back, but televisions are weirdly good about having standards. The one here is VESA. Google your TV model for the manual and it should tell you what size VESA mount your television uses (or if you're hosed and need to buy some weird esoteric thing).

American McGay posted:

Yes the pro move is to spend years and years thinking about and obsessing over buying a TV but never actually buying it.

Paging Residency Evil to the thread

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

DNK posted:

The pro miser move is to wait until next (this) year’s Black Friday. If you wait, there WILL be deals.

That might be what I end up doing. Hopefully there will be more good deals over the next month or so as new models roll out, but I'm a bit worried that the TCL hype might've already pushed the clearance models out the door. I've got a functional 42" Dynex, who I'm pretty sure hasn't even made TVs for several years but while it works a new TV isn't exactly an emergency. I just cut the cord on Comcast in favor of YoutubeTV and would like a Smart TV to make that easier, but after seeing my friend's lower-end Samsung struggle to change between apps I think I'm okay being patient. The TCL 6-series seems to respond reasonably well.

I keep reading that the Hisense H9F is also good value but those seem to be running $200-300 more than the TCL's on a good sale.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Boxman posted:

Paging Residency Evil to the thread

American McGay posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any deals on a 43 inch 5-series TCL? What sites should I be monitoring? I want one.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Walmart has it (43S525) for $280

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there much of a market for selling our old TVs when we want to upgrade? It seems like cheap (lovely) TVs are so ubiquitous that you might only be able to get $200 for a TV you paid $1500 for 5 years ago, if that.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
People certainly try to sell them but I honestly don't know who's buying when you can get brand new 50" tvs for under $200.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah as I mentioned above, I had to get my 50" still-working-and-great-picture plasma down to $75 for it to sell.

I have an old TCL 42" that works great but is way before the Roku line and nobody wants it for $50 because it's not a smart tv.

Basically you just have to put it out there and hope someone is looking for a garage tv.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm moving so I checked my Panasonic plasma GT50 for hours and it's only at 422. Just took it off the wall and holy gently caress is it heavy. Torn on keeping it or selling it.

Edit: lmao found a receipt for a Philips 32" LCD from 2006. $1,190!

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 18, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony XBR75X800G $1,000 shipped

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Electronics Express via Rakuten has the 55" R625 for $492.50 with free shipping after coupon code XP30:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/55R625/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there much of a market for selling our old TVs when we want to upgrade? It seems like cheap (lovely) TVs are so ubiquitous that you might only be able to get $200 for a TV you paid $1500 for 5 years ago, if that.

This is why I'll never spend more than $500 on a tv unless I become very wealthy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know the TCL 6-Series is universally praised for its quality and price point, but it has been given me several frustrating problems recently.

1) Sound randomly stops working (going through optical out) about once a month. Need to unplug the TV and plug it back in for it to fix itself.
2) HDMI port randomly doesn't display my Nintendo Switch about twice a month. I need to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in for it to fix itself.
3) Enhanced remote stops working in the enhanced point anywhere state about once every two months. Need to repair the remote to the TV to get it working again.
4) HDR picture quality looks disappointing on some programs. Mandalorian on Disney Plus and the Superbowl on the Fox Now apps notably look like garbage. Really washed out picture.

Just putting that out there. Maybe it's anecdotal and I got a lemon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HDR can be hit or miss with various sources no matter the TV I’ve noticed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

I know the TCL 6-Series is universally praised for its quality and price point, but it has been given me several frustrating problems recently.

1) Sound randomly stops working (going through optical out) about once a month. Need to unplug the TV and plug it back in for it to fix itself.
2) HDMI port randomly doesn't display my Nintendo Switch about twice a month. I need to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in for it to fix itself.
3) Enhanced remote stops working in the enhanced point anywhere state about once every two months. Need to repair the remote to the TV to get it working again.
4) HDR picture quality looks disappointing on some programs. Mandalorian on Disney Plus and the Superbowl on the Fox Now apps notably look like garbage. Really washed out picture.

If say def anecdotal. I watched the Superbowl on my r625 with the Fox Sports app and it was gorgeous. I kept A/B'ing it with my cable connection and it easiles above. Definitely not washed out at all.

That combined with the other issues makes.me think lemon or some screwed up settings

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I gave away our last TV (2008-era Samsung 46" 120hz/1080p) in exchange for a newer 32" 720p Samsung for the kid's playroom, because there wasn't room for a 46" in there. We replaced it with a 4k 55" Samsung in 2017, which will probably get replaced in another 9 years with whatever is good and reasonably priced at the time. Or when we finish the basement and decide we need a TV down there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Unsure if HDMI ARC to a soundbar or WiFi Plex is to blame for audio-sync issues when using it. Netflix, TV and Prime are fine.

Time to test with ethernet!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Astro7x posted:

I know the TCL 6-Series is universally praised for its quality and price point, but it has been given me several frustrating problems recently

For this one, it might be more the source:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/disneys-the-mandalorian-joins-a-long-list-of-fake-hdr-content-analysis-finds/

The Mandalorian has terrible HDR.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Our Planet on Netflix for maximum HDR goodness.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
looking for a little push on which TV I should choose. I've narrowed it down to the budgetish range between a 65" TCL 4 series or a 55" TCL 6 series which should leave ample money for a soundbar afterwards. Opinions?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 4 series is very good but I’d get the 6 if that’s a choice and a cheaper soundbar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I own a 2019 5 series and a 2019 6 series and I can easily say get the 6 series. The 5 series is great but there are definite panel issues (which I'm fine with because of the price but wouldn't use it as a main driver).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BonoMan posted:

I own a 2019 5 series and a 2019 6 series and I can easily say get the 6 series. The 5 series is great but there are definite panel issues (which I'm fine with because of the price but wouldn't use it as a main driver).

What panel issues?