Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Chill la Chill posted:

I was expecting Honolulu coverage to look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztAWVUO1Zo

Oh my god yes. There is really a fatal lack of hooting and hollering in modern magic. Outdoors, no sleeves or shirts. I want to see trash talking, bikini clad women, random passers-by joining the crowd like it's a street basketball game. Make it happen wotc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What about tearing the opponent's lethal burn spell in half in defiance?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No judge in the world would DQ you if it was Bonfire.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I think they'd thank me for getting rid of one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There is actually a judge on twitter saying that ripping up cards you own in front of people will get you issued a penalty.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Sickening posted:

There is actually a judge on twitter saying that ripping up cards you own in front of people will get you issued a penalty.

To give context before people start jumping on this one, Thoralf Severin posted a photo of a torn in pieces Dream Trawler following his participation in Worlds, as a bit on the card being dumb. A judge tried to use it to advise against destroying cards(both yours and your opponent's) due to frustration at events as that is unsporting conduct(falls under 4.5 Unsporting Conduct-Aggressive Behavior) in the IPG, but it comes off a lot worse when the wording isnt the best and it's being applied to a joke rather than someone actually being aggressive.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

To give context before people start jumping on this one, Thoralf Severin posted a photo of a torn in pieces Dream Trawler following his participation in Worlds, as a bit on the card being dumb. A judge tried to use it to advise against destroying cards(both yours and your opponent's) due to frustration at events as that is unsporting conduct(falls under 4.5 Unsporting Conduct-Aggressive Behavior) in the IPG, but it comes off a lot worse when the wording isnt the best and it's being applied to a joke rather than someone actually being aggressive.

I want to believe this rule only exists because of the Chaos Orb incident where someone tore up the card to make sure it hit every permanent on the board.

For those not in the know,

edit: looking up the rules, sleeves count as part of the card for Chaos Orb so now I want to see someone play Chaos Orb in a deck with 9.5"x11" sleeves.

edit2: I am not the first person with this idea.

edit3: Okay, the Gatherer page for this card might have the most amusing comments out there.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=603

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 17, 2020

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What’s the best price anyone is seeing for mystery box pre orders. Anything much less the $110?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magic Underwear posted:

Oh my god yes. There is really a fatal lack of hooting and hollering in modern magic. Outdoors, no sleeves or shirts. I want to see trash talking, bikini clad women, random passers-by joining the crowd like it's a street basketball game. Make it happen wotc.

Same but I want the entrance stage to have fireworks and maybe give them wrestling names so they can have hell in a cell matches and when one loses they throw their deck at the other and folding chairs get smashed and

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Severin tore up the Dream Trawler because he spiked his own draft and Autumn’s draft pool by hard pivoting to take it instead of using any of the good cards that he drafted from pack one and everybody watching in the booth highlighted that. He warped the entire table to pivot out of two colors and lost anyways, and admits as much.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

axeil posted:

I want to believe this rule only exists because of the Chaos Orb incident where someone tore up the card to make sure it hit every permanent on the board.

It also prevents people from trying to angle shoot by destroying cards.

They'd do that.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i thought that chaos orb story was supposed to be a myth

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's been pointed out that destroying a card would leave you with an illegal deck so it shouldn't ever have been a legal move.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Wezlar posted:

Like I said, he has done some sketchy stuff. It could definitely be an accident, both mistakes just also happen to be incredibly beneficial for him in their current game states.

Tough to tell without the context of the game, but how’s the spreading seas one much of a benefit? Seemed like he still had plenty of white sources.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Tough to tell without the context of the game, but how’s the spreading seas one much of a benefit? Seemed like he still had plenty of white sources.

They were all islands.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

They were all islands.

Ah whoops missed that. Ya, that’s pretty bad, but I’ve made mistakes that benefit me and it’s bound to happen when he’s been on camera for oodles of hours. Perhaps I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt since he’s one of the best magic writers; one of my favorite parts of magic was how much written content was made for a game and I’m saddened by the move away from that. But I’m in my 20s and get enraged by news videos instead of articles so I probably just need to learn to love the video (and delivering longer writing broken up in thirty different 140 [or whatever it is now] character chunks, for some reason)??

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Each and every person who thinks PV is a cheater is the biggest idiot on the planet

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
That’s actually not true because I think he’s not a cheater and I’m the biggest idiot on earth

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Time posted:

That’s actually not true because I think he’s not a cheater and I’m the biggest idiot on earth

You're not even the biggest idiot in this thread.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Each and every person who thinks PV is a cheater is the biggest idiot on the planet

Why would you say that?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

You can play Magic without cheating?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

the funniest part is that card was never used in a tournament because they drafted paper cards and then played the decks on Arena

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

You're not even the biggest idiot in this thread.

I will never be detrhoned, you cannot have my crown of colorless-only cards

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Magic Underwear posted:

The games were good (minus the last one) but man they need to figure out how to make these more hype. Go watch any EVO grand finals, the energy is way higher. This was like being in a library, you'd think the winner took home 5 grand and airfare. The crowd shot at the end was so close up, and there was almost no crowd sounds in the mix, it felt very empty.

It's hard to get hype when variance is such a huge part of the game. Assuming no equipment fails, fighting and other video games are decided purely by skill. Even beyond that the skill is just decision making. Which is great but not as obviously impressive as sako doing a training room combo mid match or like a csgo pro hitting a flick headshot against an opponent jump peeking over a box.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

freeman posted:

It's hard to get hype when variance is such a huge part of the game. Assuming no equipment fails, fighting and other video games are decided purely by skill. Even beyond that the skill is just decision making. Which is great but not as obviously impressive as sako doing a training room combo mid match or like a csgo pro hitting a flick headshot against an opponent jump peeking over a box.

You do not have the Heart of the Cards

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

freeman posted:

All but literally the final game of the final match of the final set of matches were some of the most skill intensive games of Magic ever played, I think it’s just a matter of being invested.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The players can't see each other. They are staring at a screen rather than staring down the opponent sitting across. Tom the. It takes all the energy out of the match and turns it in to pure logic puzzle.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

All but literally the final game of the final match of the final set of matches were some of the most skill intensive games of Magic ever played, I think it’s just a matter of being invested.

Great decision making alone doesn't generate hype. Don't really think it's a matter of being invested otherwise the people making the trip out to worlds to watch would have been going nuts. They're just as invested if not more than the people jumping up and down yelling during a top 8 at evo for a game they might not even play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also just think it’s really hard to develop that energy on a static battlefield. Magic is not an action oriented game. I watch a lot of poker on TV and the energy levels are very similar, even with 5 real people at the table. Cards aren’t very dramatic

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hmm. Maybe if we make Arena have louder and flashier and yellier animations? Do you think that would help?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Hmm. Maybe if we make Arena have louder and flashier and yellier animations? Do you think that would help?

No, but if drinking can make baseball exciting then alcohol in the audience could do the trick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What were the crowd at worlds even seeing? Clearly they couldn't be shown what was being streamed because showing player hands would generate crowd reactions that would influence player behavior.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
perhaps they can have giant holograms, or maybe matches on motorcycles to spice things up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly watched almost the entire Worlds presentation over all 3 days on Twitch and wasn’t really aware that there even was a crowd. I assumed everyone at the event was WotC staff, pro Players, and their +1s

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bust Rodd posted:

Severin tore up the Dream Trawler because he spiked his own draft and Autumn’s draft pool by hard pivoting to take it instead of using any of the good cards that he drafted from pack one and everybody watching in the booth highlighted that. He warped the entire table to pivot out of two colors and lost anyways, and admits as much.

It's nice to know that even at the world championships, people still act like the 12 year olds who play at my LGS who open a mythic in pack 3 and destroy their whole deck trying to play it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Toshimo posted:

What were the crowd at worlds even seeing? Clearly they couldn't be shown what was being streamed because showing player hands would generate crowd reactions that would influence player behavior.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/f4y092/when_you_have_bad_seats_and_cant_see_anything/

I guess the headphones are noise cancelling

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bust Rodd posted:

I honestly watched almost the entire Worlds presentation over all 3 days on Twitch and wasn’t really aware that there even was a crowd. I assumed everyone at the event was WotC staff, pro Players, and their +1s

I think it was only on the last day? It’s the only day they made mention of it that I saw. Watched all of day one and a decent portion of day two.

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's nice to know that even at the world championships, people still act like the 12 year olds who play at my LGS who open a mythic in pack 3 and destroy their whole deck trying to play it.

Dream trawler is v v good in limited. Arguably Severin should be good enough to read that someone up stream of him would have been cutting White and blue. I doubt he’s the only player there that would have snapped on that pivot and if nothing else hate drafted it

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 18, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think pros hate draft, I feel like most of them know better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think pros hate draft, I feel like most of them know better

I'm not the best drafter but i think you take a dream trawler 100% of the time when you're playing your pod because if an opponent casts it they win basically on the spot, especially if there's nothing else in your pack worth taking.

E: well maybe not pack 3 if I’m in neither color

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 18, 2020