Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

PinheadSlim posted:

When I was a wee lad I tried to install Chex Quest on my Hewlett-Packard and it just wouldn't work

This still influences my purchases as an adult

The trick is to make sure the toner's full before you boot the game up. After that it'll go just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PST posted:

While we're on that subject

I didn't ''You forgot I told you that they snubbed a women game designer who attended the convention while recovering from severe injuries ' because you've never posted that here.

Nor did you post anything about this:

'And I think I mentioned this before to you but it's not that they were lacking in local personalities that they had to resort to a company who employs Gail Gygax's harasser and a neo nazi supporter.'

Could you please, please stop posting in this manner. You make these claims, you never substantiate or link anything in support of them, and then bugger off only to come out and post in the same way again.

At this point, every time they vague post about a thing or make a claim without proof, they need an escalating probation that resets when they actually do post something to substantiate their stuff.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Zereth posted:

A developer. I think he did some music on it, he wasn't like, the Main Guys.
Kind of between both. He did the soundtrack music (with a few exceptions that I think mostly come down to lyrics in the few tracks that have them) and the game engine. Scott Benson did the graphics and writing, and his wife Bethany also did some work on the story, I think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Benson has a write up of his bad experiences with Holowka while developing the game.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Benson has a write up of his bad experiences with Holowka while developing the game.

I actually linked that story in my post. :nyoron:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Heck you did.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

PST posted:

While we're on that subject

I didn't ''You forgot I told you that they snubbed a women game designer who attended the convention while recovering from severe injuries ' because you've never posted that here.

Nor did you post anything about this:

'And I think I mentioned this before to you but it's not that they were lacking in local personalities that they had to resort to a company who employs Gail Gygax's harasser and a neo nazi supporter.'

Could you please, please stop posting in this manner. You make these claims, you never substantiate or link anything in support of them, and then bugger off only to come out and post in the same way again.
Its a combination of things. One Its been over a year since the rpg.net thread. Two I forget who I told what and under what account. Three I'm just that scattershot and the added stress of how to handle a completely hosed up situation increases it.

Anyways, I was talking about Erik Tenkar who is Frog God Games convention organizer. Also, I'm 100% certain that one of the times I snapped on this forum was when I first heard this. Listen carefully and notice how he says I'm saying this at Totalcon.
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/tavern-chat/e282-gen-con-bans-zak-s-do-pIsTonH_M5K/#1

quote:

Its been building over the last week and a half, but the un-personing of Zak S has pretty much been completed. I don't like Zak - I personally think he's a piece of poo poo. I just don't like companies banning and / or removing folks because they fear the small but vocal outrage brigade.
Here's the article where Gail Gygax talks about him harassing her:
https://kotaku.com/fantasys-widow-the-fight-over-the-legacy-of-dungeons-1833127876

Here's Tenkar promoting Macris:
https://player.fm/series/tavern-chat/e310-designers-makers-fireside-chat-with-alex-macris-redux-new-release-arbiter-of-worlds

And here's a more egregious example where he goes after members of the OSR for rightfully pointing out that Macris is a Nazi:
https://www.tenkarstavern.com/2019/08/hobbs-friends-podcast-rereleases.html?m=1

Also, to give extra context because I dont think your from Massachusetts (Or clthis country?) but Macris was the CEO for Milo. Milo participated in a Nazi rally last year in the city of Boston.

You're really underselling how bad of a situation it is. Do you know how panic inducing it is to know that almost all the women you know who attend Totalcon would fall under Tenkar's "outrage brigade"?

Oooo in case you don't want to listen to the podcast I forgot I had a partial transcription of Tenkar defending Zak:

quote:

Single individuals making actions that will impact tens or hundreds of thousands of gamers. Your ability to see creations that zak s might come out with in a year or two. It might be the most awesome poo poo in the hobby or it might be poo poo. Don’t get me wrong but it has the potential and your not going to see it because everyone is shutting him down.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure I found this through sheer dumb luck. Don't ask anything more because truth be told I wasn't even intentionally trying to find this information. I legitimately found it because of a Starfinder Kickstarter I was vaguely interested in.
http://www.irongm.com/a-big-winner-and-a-huge-loser/

quote:

A known cosplay stalker dude glommed onto one of our models. He used their passing acquaintance from other conventions as an excuse to creep our other models and tried to weasel into my HQ area. I explained that he had to clear out in no uncertain terms, muting my aggression at first because either he was pushing sixty or he’d aged horribly like some grizzled were-fig. He complied.

But when he dared to reappear and cross into HQ a second time, I was forced to remind him that we’d met before at a con where cosplayer pals pointed him out as someone who’d predated them and I was the guy who offered to deliver some amateur chiropracty if he didn’t vacate. With that, he finally left for good. Any cosplayers reading this, you’ll recognize this old white dude because he looks like a human mudslide and has a powerful curiosity about women wearing full body paint. Kick on sight policy in effect until further notice.

http://www.irongm.com/a-big-winner-and-a-huge-loser/
Once again to reiterate. That last incident has nothing to do with Bill Webb but with Totalcon.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don’t think it was much of a secret that Tenkar is a piece of poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goodman Speaks.

https://goodman-games.com/blog/2020/02/17/goodman-games-comments-on-judges-guild/

The video is basically scolding the Bledsaws for a few minutes, but they're not changing their future publishing plans. However, they're donating 20% of the Kickstarter funds to a few charities (GLASD, ADL, something else I can't remember), and JG/Bob Jr's shares of the proceeds will also go to them. So Bob/JG won't get any money from it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

Goodman Speaks.

https://goodman-games.com/blog/2020/02/17/goodman-games-comments-on-judges-guild/

The video is basically scolding the Bledsaws for a few minutes, but they're not changing their future publishing plans. However, they're donating 20% of the Kickstarter funds to a few charities (GLASD, ADL, something else I can't remember), and JG/Bob Jr's shares of the proceeds will also go to them. So Bob/JG won't get any money from it.

If they're willing to not pay their licensors, why the gently caress aren't they willing to break ties?

Because lemme put it this way: I'm calling that a big fat lie because of how contracts work. The only way JG doesn't get paid their contractual licensing fees is if JG choose to donate, and one KS' worth of donations doesn't excuse being a Nazi.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

If they're willing to not pay their licensors, why the gently caress aren't they willing to break ties?

Because lemme put it this way: I'm calling that a big fat lie because of how contracts work. The only way JG doesn't get paid their contractual licensing fees is if JG choose to donate, and one KS' worth of donations doesn't excuse being a Nazi.
JG chose to donate.

e: part of the reason video responses suck is because they're a big time investment and impossible to properly quote.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 17, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Goodman games presents the, um, cityscape of the indefeatable oligarch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Reminder: Goodman games has people literally burning copies of 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons in book art and proudly announced that fact to backers of his Kickstarter. He is a dumb freak.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

JG chose to donate.

e: part of the reason video responses suck is because they're a big time investment and impossible to properly quote.

Which is why this is bullshit. This is PR for a literal Nazi and a smokescreen - a one-time donation to justify a continued business relationship with, again, a literal Nazi.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Which is why this is bullshit. This is PR for a literal Nazi and a smokescreen - a one-time donation to justify a continued business relationship with, again, a literal Nazi.
I can understand where you're coming from. I am also sympathetic to not wanting to flush away a few years of work because the guy who owns the license turned out to be a nazi. If JG isn't actually seeing a cent of it, that's at least something. That's similar to how Rob Conley is handling it - his JG/Wilderlands stuff is still up for sale, because JG isn't getting money from it.

I'm a lot more worried if GG continues to work with JG or pay them for anything not yet developed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

I can understand where you're coming from. I am also sympathetic to not wanting to flush away a few years of work because the guy who owns the license turned out to be a nazi. If JG isn't actually seeing a cent of it, that's at least something. That's similar to how Rob Conley is handling it - his JG/Wilderlands stuff is still up for sale, because JG isn't getting money from it.

I'm a lot more worried if GG continues to work with JG or pay them for anything not yet developed.

They've already said they don't plan to cancel any projects. How much more evidence of continuing work do you need?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

They've already said they don't plan to cancel any projects. How much more evidence of continuing work do you need?
There's a difference between stuff they're already deep into - I only know about JG Vol 2 and Tegel Manor - and stuff that isn't yet in the works. The Bobs have no place the hobby. I don't think that means taking down everyone else who's ever worked with JG.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have this incredibly niche point of view of not giving money to Nazis.

It helps that I think the German government could revoke my passport and jail me, but the main part is they're god drat Nazis.

I don't think you could make a game that would overcome that even if the book was full of cocaine and hookers and a pony.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

There's a difference between stuff they're already deep into - I only know about JG Vol 2 and Tegel Manor - and stuff that isn't yet in the works. The Bobs have no place the hobby. I don't think that means taking down everyone else who's ever worked with JG.

There really isn't. If a project is half-written vs not even begun doesn't matter - no future business with Nazis. Like, the one they're literally kickstarting right this second? Sure, fine.

The rest? gently caress off.

e: if you think that taking a financial hit is worse than working with Nazis, you have literally put a price tag on you working with Nazis.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 17, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have this incredibly niche point of view of not giving money to Nazis.
And no money is going to the nazis here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dwarf74 posted:

And no money is going to the nazis here.

Only because the Nazi has graciously said they're not taking the money.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Better safe than sorry.

loving Nazis.

Can't emphasize this enough : I'd go to jail if I said these things and it's a law I'm very, very happy about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean the only good faith argument I can think of is that Goodman Games would literally go insolvent if they dropped the line, but if that's the case, then they should have literally said that first thing. As in "First thing's first: I would cancel this completely but I would be bankrupted by it" and as far as I know they didn't say this or even imply it. Dogshit move from Goodman.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh no, the company that made Broncosaurus Rex would go bankrupt? Shoot. Heck. Darn.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It loving sucks that a lot of really good RPG history is now solely owned by Nazi failsons who had no part in its creation. I'd rather the Goodman model of not giving these fuckers anything and making things like CSIO and Caverns of Thracia available than totally memory holing these works.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lumbermouth posted:

It loving sucks that a lot of really good RPG history is now solely owned by Nazi failsons who had no part in its creation. I'd rather the Goodman model of not giving these fuckers anything and making things like CSIO and Caverns of Thracia available than totally memory holing these works.

If by "not giving them anything" you mean "talking them into donating royalties on one product, not at all mentioning all their other products, and continuing with their business relationship as if nothing changed" you might be describing the situation here!

e: like, let me be clear, I have no loving sympathy for you that your choice is "well, either this RPG stuff I like is no longer purchasable, or a Nazi gets some of my money, HOW CAN I DECIDE"

And further clear: Goodman Games is not divorcing themselves from the Nazis. Literally the opposite, they are playing PR so you won't notice them continuing that business relationship.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lumbermouth posted:

I get where you're coming from, and you're not wrong. It's not entirely good to memory-hole this things or attribute them to Hatsune Miku. Hhhhhowever. Deplatforming is different, and deplatforming works. If they're not getting money for their IP anymore and you won't be doing future business with them? Sure. That's valid. But, like, the IP is still owned by a fascist racist antisemite. And maybe it's kind of a grey area because the IP isn't MYFAROG or RAHOWA or Big Dick Hitler Saves The World and it's just some fantasy setting I've never heard of, but you're still giving them a seat at the cultural table by continuing to have their thing out and about unless you put a very fine point on how exactly Thing Problematic. You deplatform all of them, not just the stuff that isn't overtly racist, and you explain concisely and clearly that yeah Fantasy Jeff isn't a bad work in and of itself but we don't personally want to keep publishing something that came from some downright unpleasant people. It is, sadly, an all or nothing amputation when it comes to fascists, because the moment there's even a smidgen of concession you have the less articulate but more dedicated CHUDs rules-lawyering the poo poo out of why Fantasy Jeff is considered okay but why isn't Big Dick Hitler Saves The World, and if you set a precedent that doesn't memoryhole the work while still deplatforming them you stop all the jaqoffs before they ruin your day. You can even just say "if you want Fantasy Jeff go find it yourself but we don't serve that brand anymore" and let the consumer do what they will, even if it's bad for business.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hostile V posted:

Oh no, the company that made Broncosaurus Rex would go bankrupt? Shoot. Heck. Darn.

I think Goodman is a dumb freak but I wouldn't wish American bankruptcy on him. Making bad games and being an idiot doesn't deserve that kind of misery. That's why, to me, it's the only moral defense - and he didn't offer it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh, it's not my choice at all. I'm more lamenting the fact that two Nazis inherited some of the most important work in early RPGs, to which they contributed nothing, and tied that work to their racism and antisemitism.

It's part of why I wish that piracy was a more accepted discussion in the tabletop space, because the optimal solution is hosting all of those old Judges Guild PDFs on the "gently caress Bobs Bledsaw II & II Memorial Google Drive" and letting the world have what they've corrupted.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/JennellAllyn/status/1229486512158330880

Jacquays has clarified the video somewhat, but there's still not a clear answer from Goodman on whether or not they will continue the relationship with Judges Guild. The more I think about it, the more that caginess is pissing me off.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Goodman Games: "but we believe the nazi may, in time, be redeemed, by us continuing to work with him"

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Being interested in the history of this hobby continues to be a lovely decision. I wanted to try out The Fantasy Trip, before. Now it’s JG. Welp

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Being interested in the history of this hobby continues to be a lovely decision. I wanted to try out The Fantasy Trip, before. Now it’s JG. Welp

I thought The Fantasy Trip was Steve Jackson Games (SJG) not Judges Guild (JG), did something happen in the last year?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
SJG decided to go with Frog God for some adventures for their TFT line, and Frog God's Bill Webb has a bit of a drinking and having to be pulled off women problem.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Additionally, their official KS account made a comment in response to the Bill Webb situation.

TL;DR: Despite the owner being a pest, Frog God still made good stuff so they'd continue working with them in the future.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

90s Cringe Rock posted:

SJG decided to go with Frog God for some adventures for their TFT line, and Frog God's Bill Webb has a bit of a drinking and having to be pulled off women problem.

And crucially SJG's official position was "we don't care, it's business."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In case anyone's wondering, Frog God actually did say they'd not be working with Judges Guild and the Bledsaws in the future.

Frog God managed to do this.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Goodman Games: "but we believe the nazi may, in time, be redeemed, by us continuing to work with him"

I think you missed a nuance there. That was Jennell Jacquays who wrote most of Judge's Guild's best stuff back in the day (Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia being the obvious ones) under her deadname. She understandably wants to write about this stuff and knows a lot more about it than the Nazi failson. This means (a) wants to write about work she did and is still justifiably proud of and (b) wants to not give money to Nazis (she calls herself an SJW). She has got both parts she wants - and the only way she is likely to work with Judge's Guild again or give them money is if they give her a chance to buy back the work for hire she did for the company that belonged to the father (I don't know if she would - but see no other conditions)

Meanwhile Judge's Guild wants people to continue to work with them and to be rehabilitated. So giving away royalties is a small price to pay if it works.

I don't think we've seen Goodman Games say what they are going to do going forward and whether they are ever going to start new projects with Judge's Guild or publish anything where JG would get royalties?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This industry has more nazis than our space program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

moths posted:

This industry has more nazis than our space program

something something operation pen & paperclip