Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s dumb poo poo like this to blame for 14-time returnee Bawston Rawb. Just stop.

Chili posted:

The only thing that could screw this up is production

Oh is that all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Big Taint posted:

It’s dumb poo poo like this to blame for 14-time returnee Bawston Rawb. Just stop.

Oh is that all?

Haha well, let's loving hope anyway

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I can't believe they made "Rob told Sandra he wasn't playing" into a major Episode 1 plot point

I am *incredibly* skeptical of this. But if he did, boy howdy is that great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
P.S. Finished The Circle. What a fun show! Oddly, of all the cast, the one I want to see on Survivor is the one I liked least. Let's get Seaburn on the island!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy watching Boston Rob on Survivor and this season would be lacking without him.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Me, looking at Edge of Extinction and fire tokens: boy, i sure hope production doesn't bring in dumb twists that screw over some players unfairly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6O8qyZbo4

this is excellent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao at "my only preparation was to NOT prepare"

Galaxy brain survivor

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Of all the clips in there, Sandra's stands out. She said she wants to get rid of the other women and after 2 tribals, 2 women are gone.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

God I love Sandra so much, that's such a funny strategy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its honestly probably just her baseline strategy of "anyone but me, don't stick your neck out" with a dash of "don't want to fall victim to dumb dudes getting paranoid about all the women teaming up."

What makes Sandra great is that she basically plays the same floater game a hundred other Survivors have played but she's such a force of nature that she does it with agency.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can’t imagine why you would get upset about someone saying they wouldn’t come back and then doing so. What do you think talking Rob into being a mentor for a whole season was for?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like she's upset that he deliberately assured her he wasn't appearing, so that she could not prepare or plan for that situation. If he knows people are going to be pre-gaming, it could be in his interest to not let a threat like Sandra know so she won't be going around making deals to maybe get Rob out. It also means that she wasn't able to plan or make deals with Rob. She also said Rob said Amber wasn't playing either!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to tell if it's I'm Queen Sandra How Dare You Lie To Me, genuine hurt feelings because she thought they'd grown close, or a strategy play

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Plus she knows what kinds of moments and drama will get airplay.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s true.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Do we even know for sure Rob actually said that? My first assumption was she made it up entirely so she could have a reason to go after Amber.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its also probably good to create distance between her and Rob. Like you don't want "The Poker Alliance" turning into "The Idol Alliance".

And like, if Rob did lie or whatever then if nothing else that's a hint that he isn't planning on working with you so get his rear end out and stoke the flames with the tribe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Could it also be that they are playing Big Brain Checkers to both spread the idea that they aren't working together?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I thought, it's a lie to make them seem at odds

He may well be in on it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If that was the case I imagine we would have gotten some hint of it. It would have made it more fun to see if they can pull it off.
And, you know... Sandra probably wouldn't have pushed to vote out Rob's wife.

Practically I can't imagine Rob and Sandra working together except as a matter of early convenience like Rob/Parv. Rob's 100% gonna backstab Parv and Sandra would 100% backstab Rob before he could get her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Sandra probably wouldn't have pushed to vote out Rob's wife.

Yeah that's true

If not it was a short sighted miscalculation on her part

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like you could come up with some theory of her wanting to create distance or hurt Rob long term or not rock the boat. But it don't exactly build trust with the notoriously sketchy player for a notorious sketchy player to vote out his wife/closest ally without even a superficial effort to save her. Especially knowing that she stays in the proximity of the game, and that Rob's got other people she was working with who saw it.

It just seems like to work with Rob Sandra would have had to go to bat for that whole Pokers' Alliance extended family of his. And I can't imagine Sandra wanting to play that game with that cast of players. If she ever works with Rob it will be either out of desperation or when she's got some of her own allies to counter his.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Do we even know for sure Rob actually said that? My first assumption was she made it up entirely so she could have a reason to go after Amber.

There is no way she would keep up the ruse in her confessionals if that were the case.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Looten Plunder posted:

There is no way she would keep up the ruse in her confessionals if that were the case.

yeah sandra loves to spread bullshit then go into the confessional and go 'yeah i made that poo poo up' so it would be pretty weird for it to be a cover to get rid of amber (because why do you need a reason to get rid of amber?) or some sort of collaboration with rob.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Sandra seems legit pissed about it. She's still going on about it in media interviews she's given since the show started airing.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Lord Bude posted:

Sandra seems legit pissed about it. She's still going on about it in media interviews she's given since the show started airing.

That is so, so weird. I mean, maybe they only hung out for an hour or two every three days to do the idols stuff but it still seems like an incredibly long con for not too much payoff by Rob

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spokes posted:

That is so, so weird. I mean, maybe they only hung out for an hour or two every three days to do the idols stuff but it still seems like an incredibly long con for not too much payoff by Rob

Yea, it's pretty weird from a gameplay perspective. I have to assume Rob thought it would be a funny joke, but then he and Sandra are on different tribes and Sandra is just there steaming wondering why her supposed friend lied to her.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

what if.... they decided on the island to set up a feud between the two of them in order to boost ratings? and then have a big reconciliation at the reunion?? and, I dunno, parlay that into money somehow, I'm not a reality celebrity I don't know how they do these things

I don't really think this because I don't see either of them risking pissing away a 2 million dollar prize for a silly stunt but I do think it is AMAZING tv to have rob and sandra, the most high profile winners, at odds in the series called literally 'Winners at War'

edit: those aren't actual spoilers btw just me continuing my conspiracy theory

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
rest assured the production value ought to be quite high with this seasoned cast (which might make it feel less organic and more fourth wall breaking with the paper thin plots/storylines)

I want real people with real reactions and real prejudice's, maybe some anti-white prejudice this time

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Nick seems like a real person

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just assume Sandra saw it as a way to get Rob off his game and wanted to exploit it. Any normal eliminations and he stays focused. Boot his wife first and he starts playing with too much emotion.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just assume Sandra saw it as a way to get Rob off his game and wanted to exploit it. Any normal eliminations and he stays focused. Boot his wife first and he starts playing with too much emotion.

This is a good take imo. If Rob and Sandra make it to merge I wonder if they'll join forces or polarize the tribe ie; Queen Sandra vs. Boston Tea Party Rob for teh freakin win

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Dick Bastardly posted:

I want real people with real reactions and real prejudice's, maybe some anti-white prejudice this time

Hey try to keep this poo poo outta here please. Let's maybe have a season with no prejudice and just fun silly goose Survivor.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wouldn’t be surprised since they have been setting up the face off between them being idols on the previous season. They were basically non factors in that season but it sets up a relationship between the two for this season.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

Hey try to keep this poo poo outta here please. Let's maybe have a season with no prejudice and just fun silly goose Survivor.

It was a bad joke. In seriousness, this season's players should be the most "professional" we've ever seen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The interesting thing about Rob vs Sandra to me is that they're basically going completely different ways early with allies. Rob's going with the old school equals and friends and Sandra's going with the folks who feel left out. So if they can both make the merge it might come down to who has the bigger, more loyal army.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which is funny since they should be the biggest targets like Sandra was the last time she was on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They should and I'm not convinced they'll make the merge. But it helps that there's so many threats in this case. In Game Changers Sandra was like 1 of 3 winners or something. So in this one there's more people to get paranoid about or for Sandra/Rob to distract with. In W1 we saw Rob team up with Parv and stoke paranoia about Jeremy/Natalie and Sandra play the paranoia about Rob, Amber, Kim, and Tyson. So more opportunities like that will be present in this season than past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Rob and Sandra tension over him not telling her that he was going to be on S40 is 100% real. Inside sources have confirmed it, Rob literally told Dalton Ross in pre-game press that he did not tell Sandra he was on the season (and that he wanted to target her), Sandra told Dalton Ross pre-game that she didn't know if Rob was on, Sandra says on TV that she was upset Rob didn't tell her that she was on the season, at the CBS panel a week ago there was clearly still tension between Sandra and Rob when they talked abut it in front of a live audience. I wrote a post documenting all this on reddit.

tl;dr: Occam's Razor, if Rob and Sandra seem upset at each other it's because they actually are, instead of being some secret conspiracy.

Personally I think it is very poor gameplay on Rob's part to not tell anyone beforehand that he and Amber were on S40 or make any pregame alliances despite being told by Sandra that pregame alliances were critical in Game Changers, and then target Sandra right off the bat. Sandra was perfectly right to go after Amber, Amber and Rob both said pregame that Sandra was the #1 person that they wanted to get out which completely baffles me. They needed all the allies that they could get!

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 18, 2020