Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Last I knew it was just his son. Was Ted that involved in such a scheme? I haven't seen much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ted was the recipient of his son's embezzling.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has Sin Cara done anything meaningful in AAA since debuting?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What are some of the recent problems / issues with the WWE Performance Center? I hear a lot about how they force everyone to do drills and exercises that are bad for them or don't fit their style, but is there anything else besides them trying to hammer and mold everyone into the WWE style?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
From what I remember, they have/had a training program based on the idea of functional strength. Many were claiming the program was flawed and was leading to lots of shoulder issues. I dont think anything was ever proven though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

From what I can tell, they force students to overtrain to the point of injury and also don't produce good wrestlers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wrestling has forced people to do some horrible poo poo in the name of "paying dues."

People in WWE are like the people who beat their kids and insist it's okay because "I was beaten I turned out fine." But, y'know, you're not fine. Because you hit children.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

What are some of the recent problems / issues with the WWE Performance Center? I hear a lot about how they force everyone to do drills and exercises that are bad for them or don't fit their style, but is there anything else besides them trying to hammer and mold everyone into the WWE style?

Is 2015 recent, because you had talent being abused, sexual harassment being covered up, racism, etc.

Now they just have white supremacist Terry Taylor employed and overtrain wrestlers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It came up lately about the recent NTX Takeover, but what does it mean for a match to be "overbooked" and "overwritten"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

99% of the time people mean run-ins.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Guy A and Guy B are wrestling. Guy C shows up at ringside. Guy D (who is feuding with Guy C) also shows up to cut off Guy C. Guy E appears to cheapshot Guy B, Guy A wins with a rollup. That's overbooking

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NXT elevates overwriting by adding in all the melodrama and stuff like Minor League Johnny staring at his hands and wondering how he is so violent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Schneider Heim posted:

It came up lately about the recent NTX Takeover, but what does it mean for a match to be "overbooked" and "overwritten"?

Run-ins, ref bumps, managerial interference, excessive weapons spots etc, take a look at the ECW Gangstas Paradise dog collar tag match for a fine example of overbooking to cover some inadequacies of the competitors. It's a clusterfuck but an entertaining one. Multiple table bumps, multiple different run-ins from a cast as varied as the Dudleyz, Dreamer and 911, a cat fight between Francine and Beulah, etc.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What's the most overbooked match ever?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The textbook overbooking is those late-era Nitro main events where they do like 2 minutes of wrestling before an entire stable runs in, more stables run in to attack the first stable, the match just ends with no announced winner, and by the end there's like 20 guys in the ring and you have no loving clue who you're supposed to be cheering.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

fatherofmustard posted:

Mankind winning the title on Raw has to be up there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Mankind winning the title on Raw has to be up there.

That's probably the one I was thinking of. DX, Austin, maybe Rikishi, all running in, probably more. If I remember right, the crowd was basically screaming the entire time and somehow popped even bigger when that glass break hit.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Why does Andrade get away with not vacating his title with his wellness suspension, but Naomi had to give up her belt immediately on a minor injury?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

If you take the simplest possible wrestling match as two wrestlers wrestling in full adherence to the rules inside the ring with no outside interference until one of them hits their finisher and wins, any run-in, ref bump, outside spot, weapon spot, finisher kickout, or other event that disrupts that simplest possible match is a complication. Complication can be great, it can really elevate the emotional stakes of a match (TLC 2 is my favorite example of a match that's full of interference but never becomes frustrating with it), but when people say something is "overbooked", that's when it's hit diminishing returns. At that point, the complications have stopped adding to the emotional reaction, and probably detract from it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's probably the one I was thinking of. DX, Austin, maybe Rikishi, all running in, probably more. If I remember right, the crowd was basically screaming the entire time and somehow popped even bigger when that glass break hit.

Yeah I wanna say The Corporation was involved? I don't think they were called that at the time of course.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

jeff jarrett vs raven for the nwa title

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

XeeD posted:

Why does Andrade get away with not vacating his title with his wellness suspension, but Naomi had to give up her belt immediately on a minor injury?
Because with the suspension they knew it was exactly thirty days and they presumably gameplanned it out so that they could continue whatever Andrade storyline they had in mind despite him being absent for exactly thirty days. Given the timing of the suspension, he'll be back in plenty of time for Wrestlemania.

With Naomi, she was injured and you can look at an injury and assume she'd be out for X weeks (she was out for almost two months) but everyone rehabs differently and if she wasn't ready to come back at Wrestlemania, they wouldn't have had a women's title match.

Granted, Naomi did come back at Wrestlemania (and won the title again), and it wouldn't shock me if they just forget to have a US title match at Mania in favor of [spins wheel] Booker T vs Jeff Jarrett, but it makes some degree of real-world logic. In terms of kayfabe, no.

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah I wanna say The Corporation was involved? I don't think they were called that at the time of course.
They were already the Corporation by January 1999, only a few months away from becoming The Corporate Ministry. The match ended up involving Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon, Ken Shamrock, Bossman, Test, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, X-Pac, Triple H, Chyna, and Steve Austin interfering.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 18, 2020

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Edge & Christian posted:

Because with the suspension they knew it was exactly thirty days and they presumably gameplanned it out so that they could continue whatever Andrade storyline they had in mind despite him being absent for exactly thirty days. Given the timing of the suspension, he'll be back in plenty of time for Wrestlemania.

Also, Nakamura kind of set a precedent of "oh I guess the midcard champion is just gone for like 6 weeks, weird," and it apparently not being a big deal.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the whole concept of a goat is some great man of history bullshit tbh. no i will not stop voting in the goat thread

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sting vs HHH was extremely overbooked

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lamuella posted:

By the end of his career I genuinely think there could be a case for this. like, right now I think that Tanahashi has the edge for current New Japan guys simply because of how much better the business is from when he first started taking the weight, but on the basis of match quality Okada is absolutely unassailable. His mediocre matches are better than most good wrestlers' great matches.

Surely that's an argument in Okadas favour though. Business has boomed since he returned from excursion. He is the personification of bushiroad era njpw. It was Okada v Tana that started driving ticket sales to get them where they are now

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Russo-era WCW might provide the best examples of overbooking, because of his philosophy that more is better, and more quickly is even better!

Take the match where Eric Bischoff won the Hardcore title for instance, itself a ridiculous concept but whatever, I'll run with it. It's been a while since I watched it so I might be missing many of its delicate intricacies.

The New Blood had been trying to get the title off of Terry Funk, who had been defending the belt in various wacky backstage matches, including one where he was almost decapitated by a horse. Bischoff decided enough was enough and took on Funk himself, with the help of Ernest Miller. Despite The Cat doing some of his awful karate kicks, Funk gained the upper hand and the two brawled backstage. Scott Hudson asks if there is a camera back there, but despite this always having been the case before, apparently there are no cameras available this time.

So Miss Hancock came out instead and did her weird sexy dance, presumably as Mark Madden salivated and made some awful puns. Then Kimberly Page came out with Mike Awesome and the two women had a back and forth. Hancock said that Kimberly had a fat rear end, which caused Mike Awesome to comically check out Kimberly's rear. As a side note he would become the Fat Chick Thriller not long after.

I don't think there were any breaks during all this but at some point Bischoff and Funk just kind of returned to the ring area. We see Vince Russo watching backstage and he sends the Mamalukes out to help Bischoff. They come out and Bischoff wins. I don't know what happened to Miss Hancock and Kimberly or why they were even there. I think the Mamalukes just came out next week as the co-holders of the Hardcore title, with no mention of Bischoff being the champion.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Neodoomium posted:

Sting vs HHH was extremely overbooked

Alternately it was booked just right because I don't think a straight-up match between the two would have been very good.
Shame how it was overbooked.
THE BIG VINCE AM WINNING AGAIN! I AM THE GREETEST

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I would have been perfectly happy with the way Sting vs. HHH was handled if Sting had won.

It was never going to be a great match, and they kept hyping Sting up as THE LAST HOLDOUT FROM WCW, so sure. Turn it into a DX vs. NWO clusterfuck. Fine by me.

But nooo, they had to have HHH go over. :argh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fatherofmustard posted:

Reven Vs. Jarrett for the NWA title.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

jeff jarrett vs raven for the nwa title
God dammit. :mad:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Benne posted:

The textbook overbooking is those late-era Nitro main events where they do like 2 minutes of wrestling before an entire stable runs in, more stables run in to attack the first stable, the match just ends with no announced winner, and by the end there's like 20 guys in the ring and you have no loving clue who you're supposed to be cheering.
At its worst, matches were being won by people who weren't in the match or according to the wrong stipulations.

For all timers, though, it's hard to beat the Doomsday Cage Match in 96. An expensive match gimmick, huge amount of star power, all made to look like crap. The audience doesn't know what's going on, and then the Booty Man shows up with weapons.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

At its worst, matches were being won by people who weren't in the match or according to the wrong stipulations.

For all timers, though, it's hard to beat the Doomsday Cage Match in 96. An expensive match gimmick, huge amount of star power, all made to look like crap. The audience doesn't know what's going on, and then the Booty Man shows up with weapons.

Aw poo poo this is the one where Macho and Hogan are tapping dudes on the head with frying pans. What a trash match.

edit: The whole match is so ridiculous and gross. The Final Ultimate Solution, the attempt to bury Pillman, ripping the crowd off with such a bad view of the match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Over the Edge 98 had Austin/Dude Love with Vince as the ref, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from 98 WWF booking. There was Vince going full rudo ref slow-counting Austin falls and fast-counting Foley, endless interference from Patterson/Briscoe and like a million other people, multiple ref bumps, and the finish was Austin using Vince's dead body to count the pin and technically make his win "legal."

It's completely absurd and almost certainly doesn't hold up, but it was the perfect kind of match for its era.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 18, 2020

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Benne posted:

Over the Edge 98 had Austin/Dude Love with Vince as the ref, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from 98 WWF booking. There was Vince going full rudo ref slow-counting Austin falls and fast-counting Foley, endless interference from Patterson/Briscoe and like a million other people, multiple ref bumps, and the finish was Austin using Vince's dead body to count the pin and technically make his win "legal."

It's completely absurd and almost certainly doesn't hold up, but it was the perfect kind of match for its era.

This was going to be my vote for best overbooked match, just because they set up such an impossible situation for Austin to win, but he somehow pulls it off. I think the Undertaker ends up as the ring enforcer somehow and lays them all out with chokeslams. It makes no logical sense, but is just hugely satisfying.

Pretty much every WWF main event of that era was booked like that, but this was before they totally ran in into the ground.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Benne posted:

This match absolutely holds up. The previous match between Austin and Dude at Unforgiven sucks but tells a decent story to set up this masterful encounter at Over The Edge. Pat Patterson taking the chokeslam through the announce table rules.

For another example of an overbooked mess that actually works, see Vince v Shane at Wrestlemania 17. The pop Linda gets for simply standing up is crazy.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

ChrisBTY posted:

Alternately it was booked just right because I don't think a straight-up match between the two would have been very good.
Shame how it was overbooked.
THE BIG VINCE AM WINNING AGAIN! I AM THE GREETEST

NOW I WILL JOB OUT FAN FAVORITES FOR NO RAISIN

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fatherofmustard posted:

From reading retro Nitro reviews, the most overbooked tag teams on average were Harlem Heat and Jarrett/Mongo, so if they ever had a match together, it was probably that.

Honorable mention goes to Goldberg vs. Nash, which had three unrelated run-ins.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Was Sting/HHH the match where kevin nash ran in and (kayfabe) blew his quads? Because that was hilarious and cool.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some of the worst feuds ever? I don't mean a good story with a bad match or a good match with a poo poo story, I mean all the way through bad where the best part is that it's finally over.

I nominate Hogan/Warrior II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Was Sting/HHH the match where kevin nash ran in and (kayfabe) blew his quads? Because that was hilarious and cool.

Yes and I think he tweeted a joke about it after.