Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a realistic guess for when PS1 cores will be available on MiSter?

Not really. I'm enjoying the progress I'm seeing along the way, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Not really. I'm enjoying the progress I'm seeing along the way, though!

Yeah, it's fascinating to see this grow in real time. I'm planning on ordering the board and parts when I get my tax return.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, it's fascinating to see this grow in real time. I'm planning on ordering the board and parts when I get my tax return.

Come to the MiSTer thread! That way I can post more without double-posting! Heh

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God help me I just ordered a Beharbros Toro in my quest for the clearest upscaled Dreamcast picture.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

gourdcaptain posted:

The entire "map your controller to a virtual 360 pad pad layout even if it's different from a 360 controller and then map the virtual 360 controller to the emulated system controller" dynamic in RetroArch is just completely nuts, especially when:
A) You're mapping to an N64 controller in the emulator.
B) It's me, and I've never owned a 360 controller so I'm having to reference a Google Image search of the controller for the button layout.

You're actually mapping to a switch controller, and they help you by having symbols showing you the physical location of the button you're binding on the fake controller. It's not a terrible solution for every console that's not the Genesis/Saturn.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Karasu Tengu posted:

You're actually mapping to a switch controller, and they help you by having symbols showing you the physical location of the button you're binding on the fake controller. It's not a terrible solution for every console that's not the Genesis/Saturn.

Okay those images weren't there when I last tried it. At this point, I've invested in a modded N64 and gear and I'd rather use other standalone emulators for other systems, so *shrug*.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There have been attempts to make the RetroArch UI less terrible. It still causes tumours in lab mice but it at least resembles usable now.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I want to preorder an Analogue Pocket

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

40-Degree Day posted:

You should have at least a free pair already with any pants or shorts you own:v:.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was tempted to get the Pocket but I just ordered an IPS GBA SP screen replacement instead. Hopefully I don’t break anything installing it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Speaking of which, whoever it was who purchased the GBA consolizer kit please post finished product updates. That looks cool as hell.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was trying to get the mouse to work for a SMS light gun game for a literal hour in Retroarch and never figured it out. Between launchbox and MiSTer I have no need to ever touch Retroarch again and I'm glad for that.

Miles McCloud posted:

Even my precious Mega SD, which is awesome seems like it may be on the chopping block, especially since it looks like it ebays for more than I spent on assembling the MiSTer.

This is pretty much exactly what I did, played with the Mega SD for about a month and then sold it to buy MiSTer parts. I'm still keeping my Mega SG and Super NT though along with some games. The tiniest disadvantage I found to MiSTer is those cores didn't sound as good as the Analogue cores after the audio is dialed in, but you would probably never notice unless you had them compared side by side. It's not that it sounds bad on MiSTer, just sounded the slightest bit better to me with the Analogue cores which could be completely subjective.

Next in the MiSTer pipeline sounds like CPS1 arcade games and PCE CD support.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

40-Degree Day posted:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

There have been attempts to make the RetroArch UI less terrible. It still causes tumours in lab mice but it at least resembles usable now.

The Switch styled UI is actually really nice and pretty easy to move around, though I prefer the XMB more.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Key bindings in Retroarch is a massive pain but the worst is trying to run something that crashes immediately whenever you load it and you're given no reason why. I haven't been get it to emulate N64 for a couple years and I'm absolutely mystified because it has worked in the past.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

40-Degree Day posted:

I really want to get one but I want to see it when it’s in peoples hands and there are some good reviews floating around.

It’s a bit over my impulse buy price range that’s for sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love that they're putting a 10xGB-rez screen in that thing. It's so overkill.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I really want to get one but I want to see it when it’s in peoples hands and there are some good reviews floating around.

It’s a bit over my impulse buy price range that’s for sure.

I don't think you'll be able to wait for reviews. As far as I know, they are only offering an initial batch and that's it. Hopefully they change that (or I'm wrong).

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love that they're putting a 10xGB-rez screen in that thing. It's so overkill.

Does anybody understand the point of this? Genuine question.

Personally I find I like the lower-res screens better? I have an OG GBA fitted with an SP 101 screen. I also have the IPS screen. Now don't get me wrong; the IPS screen is beautiful, and a big deal to me is that there's no motion blur like you get with the AGB-101 screen. However, I sometimes find myself preferring the AGB-101 screen because it's (obviously) the original GBA resolution. The IPS screen is like 4x the resolution, and everything is pixelated as a result. I was kind of under the impression that the reason retro game enthusiasts love CRTs is because it's running in the original resolution, and isn't stretched to 1080p or higher making everything look blocky. In fact, when I first tried emulation back in like 1997 or something, it bothered me how blocky the SNES games looked on my Gateway 2000's CRT. I'd actually have a CRT in my home if they weren't so big and I weren't so terrified of it falling on one of my kids (this is an actual issue back when CRTs were the only game in town).

I just received that Neo Geo international version mini cabinet and I absolutely love it because the games look flawless on it. They used a low-res screen that matches the original game resolution. As a result it looks razor sharp, but not pixelated.

Original GameBoy games especially are so crappy looking when blown up. I always played them in "pixel perfect" mode on the 3DS e-shop for Game Boy Color downloads. What is the benefit to using such a hi-res screen?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Speaking of which, whoever it was who purchased the GBA consolizer kit please post finished product updates. That looks cool as hell.

It's me. I tried to install it today but all the video guides and tutorials on Game-Tech's website are hilariously out of date; they are for the prototype version. The final version I received is so much different; different power switch, a spot for an LED, an entire PCB that isn't mentioned at all anywhere, he removed the oscillator on the GBA but doesn't say if that's still required or if it's even required at all, among a few other things. So I just did some prep work (soldered the SNES controller port) and am waiting for them to reply to my e-mail with the questions I had about installing it. So I should have it done by tomorrow night if he responds to me by then. And of course I will post impressions.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The idea of the giant screen has some merits to it, they can upscale the gameboy games into it perfectly so it'll look the exact same as a 160x144 screen of the same size, they have more flexibility for trying to actually print configuration and loading menus on the screen at a modern resolution, and they're targeting a wide varity of machines that don't actually all share the same screen resolution or aspect ratio so having something bigger is required.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Karasu Tengu posted:

The idea of the giant screen has some merits to it, they can upscale the gameboy games into it perfectly so it'll look the exact same as a 160x144 screen of the same size,

Won't it look the same as whenever you blow up a Gameboy game to a much higher resolution? Pixelated/blocky as hell?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If the screen's 2in and you have 82ppi resolution on your screen and you multiply the resolution by 10 you still have an effective 82ppi, just your "pixels" are actually 10 each. It's not going to look any more blocky or pixelated than your real Gameboy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the point is that at that resolution it can upscale any number of portable system resolutions (and, eventually, console resolutions with it's accessible FPGA) without a lot of dead space or uneven pixels being a concern.
It's still funny that it's a thousand something by a thousand something.

edit: And at that resolution, there could be shaders to make the screen look native res for whatever it's emulating.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 18, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the point is that at that resolution it can upscale any number of portable system resolutions (and, eventually, console resolutions with it's accessible FPGA) without a lot of dead space or uneven pixels being a concern.
It's still funny that it's a thousand something by a thousand something.

edit: And at that resolution, there could be shaders to make the screen look native res for whatever it's emulating.

Yeah I was gonna say having a high res like that opens the door for cool shaders

Give me "tremendous, unimaginable ghosting, wtf is even happening on screen" pls

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Was leaving a pawn shop in town when I spotted a PS1 double case out the corner of my eye. Turned out to be a copy of PS1 Doom for £1.50. Pretty drat happy about that find.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Here's one that I installed recently. Main thing to keep in mind is that DVI+ mode needs to be on in order to have digital audio over HDMI, and not all capture devices or screens can detect the signal. DVI+ works fine with my TVs, but gets a blank screen on my Elgato HD60 capture device, so I was only able to capture audio using the headphone jack.

Capture footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxnbjD70lSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cszd4Ey8yks

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've been in a map-making mood lately, fondly remembering mapping out the Ultima 1 dungeons on graph paper as a kid.
I'm going through Might & Magic 1 right now, which will take forever. But which other old first-person RPGS needed graph paper? Wizardry probably, up to a point, but I know that even with M&M2 and beyond there was automapping available. Bard's Tale? I gotta be missing some.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Played a Chrono Trigger randomizer tonight and got Magus in the party before the Magus fight, so...

Shadow damage does good damage to dinosaurs, also.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's a Chrono Trigger randomizer? I'm not normally all that into the whole randomizer thing, but that sounds right up my alley.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

RetroRGB put up beta impressions of the Satiator. It looks hot and feels like it will be completely worth the wait. The nicest thing he mentioned is that it still plays discs like normal when it's plugged in.

https://youtu.be/j11SgTcagMY

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Quad posted:

I've been in a map-making mood lately, fondly remembering mapping out the Ultima 1 dungeons on graph paper as a kid.
I'm going through Might & Magic 1 right now, which will take forever. But which other old first-person RPGS needed graph paper? Wizardry probably, up to a point, but I know that even with M&M2 and beyond there was automapping available. Bard's Tale? I gotta be missing some.

This thread has been running for almost eight years and is full of people who legit love mapping in CRPGs.

One of the goons in the thread has been developing a tool specif. for CRPG mapping (although it now does a ton of other things) if that rings your bells at all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zophar posted:

RetroRGB put up beta impressions of the Satiator. It looks hot and feels like it will be completely worth the wait. The nicest thing he mentioned is that it still plays discs like normal when it's plugged in.

Has he ever made an estimate of how much this is going to cost when it comes out?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Monitor Burn posted:

Here's one that I installed recently. Main thing to keep in mind is that DVI+ mode needs to be on in order to have digital audio over HDMI, and not all capture devices or screens can detect the signal. DVI+ works fine with my TVs, but gets a blank screen on my Elgato HD60 capture device, so I was only able to capture audio using the headphone jack.

Capture footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxnbjD70lSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cszd4Ey8yks

Do you offer this as a service?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Sure, just send me a PM or post in the SA-Mart thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885474&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zophar posted:

Is it true the Satiator is unable to speed up load times but the other ODEs can? If that's the case I might have to skip the Satiator unfortunately

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pastry of the Year posted:

One of the goons in the thread has been developing a tool specif. for CRPG mapping (although it now does a ton of other things) if that rings your bells at all.

A goon made that? Now I feel a bit less irritated about buying it three times.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is it true the Satiator is unable to speed up load times but the other ODEs can? If that's the case I might have to skip the Satiator unfortunately

I haven't looked into it personally but it could be true considering the Satiator is piggybacking onto another I/O bus. The other optical emulators connect directly into the CDROM's I/O. Keeping the load times the same isn't necessarily a bad thing for older consoles due to how discs are mastered. Running it to fast can cause audio sync issues or even game stability issues. The Mega SD for example, notes issues like these in the manual and if you come across them to set the speed back to normal.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
While it seems to be true the Satiator is tied to weird timing constraints with the Saturn, from my understanding ODEs in general can still offer a boost in that you no longer have seeking times. I'm not sure how bad this is on Saturn but on PSX my laser is constantly searching around the disc wondering what the heck to do.
I'm really excited for the Satiator personally but whether I pull the trigger right away will depend on price. I have a new baby and hardly any time to play right now so I'm worried I'll buy it and not touch it for a few years, by which time something better (for my needs) will have come along to replace it like an FPGA solution.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Doesn't look like it does at the moment but he says that Professor Abrasive is looking to figure out a boost mode in a future update. Kinda disappointing. Not a deal breaker for me but I also have a PSIO which shortens load times but I can barely sense any improvement personally.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Does anyone know what kind of screws TurboGrafx/PC Engine controllers use? I picked up a few beat up controllers to fix up but most of the screws are either rusty, incorrect, or missing entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quad posted:

The big ones are going to be any that used first person, step based dungeons.

So the Wizardry series, obviously, which as far as six didn't have an automap. The Dungeon Master series is another big one. Eye of the Beholder (and Dungeon Hack, of course) also lacked any automapping, IIRC. The Bard's Tale 1 and 2 (but not 3) were major ones. In terms of Ultima, they used first person dungeons through 5; the Underworld games not only had full automapping, it was easily the best automapping done in a game to that point. Less commonly mentioned but pretty fun was Legacy of the Ancients (it's one of those games that people really into RPG's know about and nobody else does).

That should be a good start...