Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, GM never figured out how to go the other direction either. Every time they rebadged a Holden for the US was a flop.

Yeah but that was gently caress all to do with the engineering and everything to do with GM loving up the marketing, on top of them being expensive due to Australian wages and conditions vs domestic production. See also: Colorado/Ranger pricing vs full size pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Getting out of RHD totally too.

Uhhh, Vauxhall?

e: Ah, I forgot that Peugeot owns Vauxhall (and Opel) now.

meltie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 17, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Getting out of RHD totally too. gently caress you GM, first you take away our V8 sedans, the least you could have done is sell us some Corvettes or even some goddamn real SUV’s.

Does that mean they're exiting RHD markets? Or just importing Chevys in RHD? Or just importing Chevys?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Everything is expensive down under, what is this competitive pricing you speak of

You think shipping either fully complete or partially built GM trucks from the US, then having a small team convert them from LHD to RHD, is going to make the GM options any cheaper than that in all but the lowest trims?

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Yeah but that was gently caress all to do with the engineering and everything to do with GM loving up the marketing, on top of them being expensive due to Australian wages and conditions vs domestic production. See also: Colorado/Ranger pricing vs full size pickups.

GTO: Expensive, looked like a Cavalier, couldn't fit rear tires worth a drat, parts availability sucked even when they were still shipping them here
G8: Even more expensive, polarizing styling (that's an improvement, at least), Pontiac's death throes
SS: Even more expensive, even though a Camaro cost nearly as much when optioned to the same level, proof that the enthusiasts who insist that GM needs to keep making B-bodies only actually have used B-body budgets

Also I'm in no position to debate the merits of midsize truck pricing since I went ahead and bought one. Lightly used, at least, because there was no way in hell I wanted to spend >$40k on a new Duramax.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I seem to recall an interview with some GM exec pimping the new Corvette saying it was designed from the get-go as a world car and would have RHD variants built in Bowling Green for Aus, NZ and UK markets. I presume that's dead now?

e: See at the end it still looks like it going to be built?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

SS: Even more expensive, even though a Camaro cost nearly as much when optioned to the same level, proof that the enthusiasts who insist that GM needs to keep making B-bodies only actually have used B-body budgets

All SSes were sold fully-loaded with sunroof and manual as the only options, and GM did virtually zero marketing for the SS. The SS was never intended to sell in volume like the G8 was; the SS was sold in the US to help keep the lights on at the Holden plant by catering to hardcore Chevy fans

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MomJeans420 posted:

Dumb question, but I take it from the first part of this video that there are multi-player flight sims and some guy just volunteers / is appointed air traffic control, then sits there and does that job as randos fly in and out?

Yep - you got it. When the person in the ATC chair gets tired, they'll announce on the Sim and appoint a replacement.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

All SSes were sold fully-loaded with sunroof and manual as the only options, and GM did virtually zero marketing for the SS. The SS was never intended to sell in volume like the G8 was; the SS was sold in the US to help keep the lights on at the Holden plant by catering to hardcore Chevy fans
I remember hearing Holden got a tax credit for exporting some number of cars, which explains part of it.

You could have knocked some money off by skipping the vented seats, magnetic ride shocks, and Brembos: but then you have a $40k mid-performance version that's missing all the non-LS versions to want the car. People asking for stripped performance models can't afford new cars anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GD_American posted:

Does that mean they're exiting RHD markets? Or just importing Chevys in RHD? Or just importing Chevys?

GM is leaving RHD completely worldwide. They are selling their poo poo in Thailand for instance.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
For example in Japan the GM sells maybe 1-200 cars a year? The only American anything that does well there is the Jeep Wrangler.

I just think these multi multi billion corporations are idiots when it comes to a lot of things

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

T-Square posted:

Man, I love Brad from Bon Appetit :allears:

Was a tad hungover yesterday morning and I've been loving everything on their YouTube channerl, so I threw that on and the second or third video in the playlist was him making a fried bologna sammich with a chopped dill pickle/mustard/mayo sauce on toasted rye with some iceberg. That sounded like a perfect hangover snack, so I went down the street and got some bologna from the deli and fried that poo poo up.

It was so good I made another for dinner.

Agreed. They sure have done a great job of cultivating the personalities into likeable performers who are still obviously experts at what they do. And their ensemble work is great too, they mix and match pairs and groups of people and it just makes it really entertaining to watch. I go through a binge and burn out cycle every month or so where I catch up on things I haven't seen. And then I cry myself to sleep over my unrequited love for Claire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

on top of them being expensive due to Australian wages and conditions vs domestic production.

There's a dirty semi-secert there. The costs of Aust wages had less to do with the final price than the bullshit the LNP and conservative rags tried to say. Toyota were quite well able to make cars cheaper in Australia for some reason.... hmmm.......

Like for instance, did you know GM did a fair degree of profit shifting with Holden under the guise of paying for rights to it's own engineering (Holden's NOT US GM) and trademarks? And as a interesting thought, Opel under it's first year of ownership by PSA made a fairly decent profit. The first one since 1999. Co-incidence you say? Or or likely proof Opel was in fact being leeched by GM? And that in fact Holden's average per worker wage bill wasn't actually that much higher than a GM one?

It also seems odd the conservative govt didnt want to pay a cent more when Holden returned 16 dollars to 1 in economic benefit. The LNP have zero issue handing out big bucks to miners.... who are actually smaller and employed less as a sector than Holden by itself, let alone the suppliers jobs it supported. It's less odd when you work out that Holden and the car industry in general was heavily unionised. So you might say no one would be THAT loving stupid to dare GM to close and risk 100,000s of jobs and billions of economic benefit as a whole just because they hated unions right?

Any doubts now?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

Agreed. They sure have done a great job of cultivating the personalities into likeable performers who are still obviously experts at what they do. And their ensemble work is great too, they mix and match pairs and groups of people and it just makes it really entertaining to watch. I go through a binge and burn out cycle every month or so where I catch up on things I haven't seen. And then I cry myself to sleep over my unrequited love for Claire.

Claire/Brad videos are the best. Brad is just a human golden retriever bouncing around and poor Claire is just exasperated with him most of the video.

Brad/Matty Matheson going noodling for catfish has to be the single funniest video on YouTube.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

God, Claire is the best I just wanna hang out with her for a day :kimchi:

I love the It's Alive! videos for all of the dumb corny sound effects they put in when Brad smacks poo poo or the stupid clip art that pops up in whatever direction Brad stares off into when he loses his train of thought for a few seconds, that poo poo gets me every time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of my coworkers was late in today, as he'd not been able to go home to bed until 2am... because the police wouldn't let him.

While out playing pokemon of an evening in his village, which is a stone's throw from the police HQ, he turned a corner to find three men in balaclavas shooting up a car they'd rammed off the road.

Needless to say he legged it back the way he came and hid until plod turned up and cordoned off the area.

But that's properly :stare:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Alright, flying domestic with power tools.

Do I leave my batteries in the tool bag I’m checking or do I have to carry the batteries in my carry-on?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The rules are confusing. If they're lithium ion in a device they're fine. If they're loose lithium ion under 100 watt hours, they have to be carry-on. If they're loose lithium ion over 100 watt hours, they have to be packaged appropriately and checked.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

The rules are confusing. If they're lithium ion in a device they're fine. If they're loose lithium ion under 100 watt hours, they have to be carry-on. If they're loose lithium ion over 100 watt hours, they have to be packaged appropriately and checked.

The larger of the two is a 20v 4AH battery, so 80 watt hours. I guess I’ll carry on the batteries.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It also seems odd the conservative govt didnt want to pay a cent more when Holden returned 16 dollars to 1 in economic benefit. The LNP have zero issue handing out big bucks to miners.... who are actually smaller and employed less as a sector than Holden by itself, let alone the suppliers jobs it supported. It's less odd when you work out that Holden and the car industry in general was heavily unionised. So you might say no one would be THAT loving stupid to dare GM to close and risk 100,000s of jobs and billions of economic benefit as a whole just because they hated unions

That’s interesting about the labour costs. Not at all surprised abut profit shifting, hell, Aussie banks suck billions out of NZ with the same tricks, to the point our govt set up a new state owned bank some years back to foster competition.

As a leftist I’m generally against corporate handouts, especially when the parties doing the most are also the parties who bleat the most about “dole bludgers”, but a good investment is a good investment, and the numbers I’ve been seeing like the 16:1 return you quoted are impossible to argue with, especially in terms of the wider picture like keeping a strong industrial manufacturing base in Australia. I guess now you guys gotta hope that coal train just keeps on running since that’s what has been bought and paid for. LIBERAL GOVERNMENT /jordiesvoice

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

meltie posted:

Uhhh, Vauxhall?

e: Ah, I forgot that Peugeot owns Vauxhall (and Opel) now.

Man, gently caress GM, they've pulled this poo poo so many times. They went through this whole thing pitting the governments of Sweden and Germany against each other to get tax breaks and infrastructure upgrades to put the European GM factory either in Trollhättan or Rüsselsheim. Swedish government gave them a ton of commitment and then GM was like "lol jk we were going to go with Germany the whole time, Saab is going byebye and we won't sell the brand to anyone without 500 strings attached"

At least my hometown got a sweet motorway and double-track rail to Gothenburg.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a dirty semi-secert there. The costs of Aust wages had less to do with the final price than the bullshit the LNP and conservative rags tried to say. Toyota were quite well able to make cars cheaper in Australia for some reason.... hmmm.......

Like for instance, did you know GM did a fair degree of profit shifting with Holden under the guise of paying for rights to it's own engineering (Holden's NOT US GM) and trademarks? And as a interesting thought, Opel under it's first year of ownership by PSA made a fairly decent profit. The first one since 1999. Co-incidence you say? Or or likely proof Opel was in fact being leeched by GM? And that in fact Holden's average per worker wage bill wasn't actually that much higher than a GM one?

It also seems odd the conservative govt didnt want to pay a cent more when Holden returned 16 dollars to 1 in economic benefit. The LNP have zero issue handing out big bucks to miners.... who are actually smaller and employed less as a sector than Holden by itself, let alone the suppliers jobs it supported. It's less odd when you work out that Holden and the car industry in general was heavily unionised. So you might say no one would be THAT loving stupid to dare GM to close and risk 100,000s of jobs and billions of economic benefit as a whole just because they hated unions right?

Any doubts now?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2 pages back, but wanted to share a follow up to my e/n post...

Contractor showed up today to install the cabinets. Contractor struggled getting the sink base over the 18" stubs I had through the floor.

Contractor and his guys snagged the PVC stubs when setting the sink base.

Contractor and his guys broke the cold water feed line and the line that protruded 12" above the inside of the sink base protruded 4" above the sink base... while the other one was at full height. Because they BROKE THE loving PVC LINE.

Contractor did not tell me.

I found out about 40 minutes later after a 1/2" water line had been pumping full-pressure water into my finished basement.

I've got many hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of water in the basement. Somehow the contractor says that it's my fault. :lol: gently caress him sideways. And I will, to the full extent of my capability.

Because... right now... all of the stuff that we had moved to the basement as we recovered from the water flood disaster from last August... is now soaking in water from our water flood disaster in February. :suicide:

The good news is that I got the Wyze cameras on Krakkles' suggestion and I have full video of the events. The audio is fucky, but I think it'll end up as evidence. Thanks, Krakkles.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I found out about 40 minutes later after a 1/2" water line had been pumping full-pressure water into my finished basement.

Dude.

I dare you to catch a break with this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Contractor showed up today to install the cabinets. Contractor struggled getting the sink base over the 18" stubs I had through the floor.

Contractor and his guys broke the cold water feed line and the line that protruded 12" above the inside of the sink base protruded 4" above the sink base... while the other one was at full height. Because they BROKE THE loving PVC LINE.

I've got many hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of water in the basement. Somehow the contractor says that it's my fault. :lol: gently caress him sideways. And I will, to the full extent of my capability.

Because... right now... all of the stuff that we had moved to the basement as we recovered from the water flood disaster from last August... is now soaking in water from our water flood disaster in February. :suicide:

The good news is that I got the Wyze cameras on Krakkles' suggestion and I have full video of the events. The audio is fucky, but I think it'll end up as evidence. Thanks, Krakkles.

:magical: That loving blows

I have a serious justice-chub for the dicking you're going to give this guy

Every time I think about paying other people to do things I can do but don't really want to I read something like this and I'm all "Yeah it'll take me twice as long and look half as good but the fucker will work like it's supposed to and won't be broken".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I guess now you guys gotta hope that coal train just keeps on running

https://treasury.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-03/01_part1_resilience-22.gif

Yeah well the other big earners -Tourism and Education have been utterly assfucked by fires and Coronavirus respectively and Iron ore (which also means coking coal exports going to hit the floor too) is going to suffer with the China downturn coming.

Holden at one point by itself was the biggest export earner - It used to be worth a few billion even in the 90's. gently caress me we really have had some dumb shits in power to let all that go.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Hope for your sake that those dudes are insured well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Hope for your sake that those dudes are insured well.

The bitch about the whole thing is that he's insured under liability, which covers "actual cash value" versus my property insurance, which covers "actual replacement value." So one of the issues I have is -- do I file AGAIN under property insurance (which will, I'm sure, include a premium increase, since I've already had a claim within the past year), where they will cover actual replacement value and have MY insurance company subrogate against his, or go straight against his...

The problem is that there's a lot of old tech stuff and furniture and furnishings that would have little "actual cash value, " but have a lot of value in replacement cost.

It's still fresh, the disaster mitigation group has a couple industrial dehumidifiers in my basement, I'm over 6 beers in, and I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow at the moment, so that's that. Bottom line is that I want to gently caress the dude sideways, but my team of lawyers (wife and brother) both say that I need to make it open for him to finish the job so that it's not ME that breaches the contract... so I've asked the contractor when he wants to resume installation of the cabinets...

WHICH HE STARTED WITH DRYWALL SCREWS. He's got this janky crew of rednecks, which by all means is not meant to be a slur, but a statement that these guys just don't give no fucks and just wanna put cabinets up... meanwhile, I just want it done RIGHT...

I'm too beer-y. L8r!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ford has responded to GM's anouncement of pulling out of RWD markets with......

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...5fa2232881e28ae

One of the best "gently caress you, we're gonna hire all your best staff" I've ever seen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

2 hours later and the buzz is wearing off and I'm just super angry.

It's gonna be a full-on meatpimppocalypse tomorrow when the contractor shows up to finish the job he totally hosed up.

I just want to post the video of the Hot Ones-esque shot of me telling him that there are cameras here... here... and here...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

:magical: That loving blows

I have a serious justice-chub for the dicking you're going to give this guy

Every time I think about paying other people to do things I can do but don't really want to I read something like this and I'm all "Yeah it'll take me twice as long and look half as good but the fucker will work like it's supposed to and won't be broken".

My wife sitting on the couch reading: "You're going to pay somebody to paint the house because you don't have time."
Me as I'm holding our 1 year old while talking to her mother on the phone (whom she can't "deal with at the moment") while making her dinner and lunch for tomorrow: "I know, if only there were some way for me to do FOUR things at once instead of just three."

To be fair I've been working on our mudroom for like 9 months now because I've been waiting for a cheap slab of wood to pop up on craigslist instead of spending $800 on a hunk of black walnut. But all that waiting is about to go out the window when a contractor comes in and charges us three grand to quickly throw a bunch of paint on a few walls. :sigh:

Also my wife: I quit my job because it's hard and btw we're going to Disney next year.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Woo! I'm glad it worked. The audio thing is weird, and I'm curious what happened there, because I can hear myself pretty clearly one room over on mine, but not the point here. As long as you got what you needed. Totally want to see that Hot Ones take.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ meatpimp....As someone who's getting ready to have a bunch of work done (cabinets) this is making me nervous.

I've always done poo poo myself but I can't anymore and have to trust other people to do it right. Lol what are the odds of that actually happening.

Hope you nail him to the wall man gently caress that guy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bandman posted:

Alright, flying domestic with power tools.

Do I leave my batteries in the tool bag I’m checking or do I have to carry the batteries in my carry-on?

The ever helpful pole frame builder has the answer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3Xhrt_Io8

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Every builder ive ever hired has been a complete piece of poo poo and has caused damage to my house.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

My place of employment is becoming more and more intolerable to deal with. Lucky for me I needed some parts at a place in town and casually half-joked to the manager if they have any jobs (I know staff really well). Was marched straight into her office where the state manager was on a call. Looks like I've jumped a huge line and got an impromptu interview with the guy who makes the decisions normally in Brisbane. Could be :yotj: for me!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

The bitch about the whole thing is that he's insured under liability, which covers "actual cash value" versus my property insurance, which covers "actual replacement value." So one of the issues I have is -- do I file AGAIN under property insurance (which will, I'm sure, include a premium increase, since I've already had a claim within the past year), where they will cover actual replacement value and have MY insurance company subrogate against his, or go straight against his...
Logically, claim on your insurance, which will cover what you need, and they take it up with him?

If he's not insured for it, that's his problem to discuss with them. What level of insurance he has is irrelevant if he still has a given liability, it'll just result in your insurer taking legal action against him rather than sorting it out with his insurer?

Also having an identifiable entity to blame and recoup costs from may change how your insurers treat things for premium increases vs a "shot happens" claim.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

Well as someone who just started talking to contractors about having our kitchen redone this is terrifying. On the upside it's just the garage they would flood in my case but holy crap. So good to hear you grabbed some cameras to record the clusterfuck.

We hired a cheap paint crew to throw something up before we moved in and while they did a good job they were messy as hell. We waited to put down the flooring until after they were done and I'm really glad we did. Still had to go back and clean up a lot of the detail work but it was get what you pay for in our case.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would legit expect that the existence of the DJ5 is still the biggest reason RHD Jeeps continue to exist, along with needing relatively few bespoke parts thanks to the solid front axle.
you would think that but the list of unique parts for rhd on Jeeps is huge. And a lot of them are big ticket parts.

Goober Peas posted:

They're confusing but this is one thing the TSA actually gets right.
Any size is fine if it's plugged into the device it's for, because it can't short out unless it fails like an iPhone or Samsung.

Up to a certain size is fine loose in carry on because you'll hear it start burning and can get to it with a fire extinguisher. You can't get to it with an extinguisher if it's in checked luggage.

Past that, it's not going to be manageable with a fire extinguisher and will seriously risk the passengers and airframe, so it must be packaged correctly and put in checked luggage.

meatpimp posted:

Jesus Christ man, that blows. This is why I do my own work... I don't trust any contractors to actually do poo poo right or care.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

If you haven't yet, you should wander over into DIY and check out JT's Remodeling Thread or something close to that. First part of the thread is all about the lovely contractor he has that screws him around for like upwards of a year or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

T-Square posted:

If you haven't yet, you should wander over into DIY and check out JT's Remodeling Thread or something close to that. First part of the thread is all about the lovely contractor he has that screws him around for like upwards of a year or something.

It's this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923

And the first part is terrifying, yes.