Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ice block blocks fire,

e: lovely snipe. games need enough mechanics to make the decisions feel meaningful. A million heavy mechanics in a game where your actions have no impact on others is as useless as a game where people just openly vote on how to move a track up and down and you're just waiting for one or two of your most attention-seeking players to stop dillying and just choose. Some people feel like their decisions are still meaningful or interesting when they play a game where people's desire to roleplay or attend to the whims of a narrative arc they have in mind for a character but a lot of people will think that's just deliberate obfuscation of a kind of randomness mixed with pique.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Are they though? Other than mage knight, which pretty much everyone itt thinks is too much, what others mash tons of mechanics together?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, Vlaada games are pretty known for having random fiddly thematic (or arbitrary and not at all backed up by theme, in the case of the Dungeon Petz meat market) rules that you need to keep track of.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dungeon Lords has simultaneous action selection, worker placement, tile placement, a market row, and all of that is before you even get to the resolution phase which is its own thing. Add also a bunch of monster/trap specific rules, and you have a game that takes two hours to resolve two rounds.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There's one rule that stands out as too many mechanics in a Vlaada game: in Dungeon Petz, you add one meat to the meat stand when pets don't get bought. It would be one thing if this were an important rule for flavor, but the rules themselves say "it's just a rule" and "there is no thematic reason for this rule." So clearly it doesn't represent anything.

e: drat beaten

OlMaster
May 12, 2008

Schizophonic posted:

So I work in the library service, and I recently moved branch/gained seniority and am interested in creating a board game collection as a special project since we're in the process of diversifying generally (Makerspace area, graphic novels area, coding set up, etc etc). There's been a lot of useful info online, but I'm trying to come up with mostly casual to mid-weight games that introduce general game concepts, with a few heavier picks for advanced players. I'm not sure what format these will be used in just yet, though borrowing to take home is off the table for the time being. If you have any experience of that though, please do chime in with how it worked/how you found it!

Anyone have suggestions to add or thoughts? Some I've already got as personal donations. I don't quite have a handle on what budget will be like, as we're a relatively underfunded jurisdiction, but hoping I'll be able to argue my way up to a satisfying number.

I'm quite new to the hobby, but I'll throw in my two cents here about HP: Hogwarts Battle. It was my wife's and my introduction to deckbuilders and it was good for that, but I'm not sure how the increasing complexity of each game would fit in with a communal area? You'd need to trust that people put all the cards back in the right boxes, or set it at a single level and remove the other components. At the highest level it can be very swingy and would be too advanced for most beginners.

Unless you mean the new competitive version (Defense Against the Dark Arts), I've not played that, it might be more suitable.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Edit: nvm

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nrook posted:

There's one rule that stands out as too many mechanics in a Vlaada game: in Dungeon Petz, you add one meat to the meat stand when pets don't get bought. It would be one thing if this were an important rule for flavor, but the rules themselves say "it's just a rule" and "there is no thematic reason for this rule." So clearly it doesn't represent anything.

e: drat beaten

I hope this is supposed to be a funny post cause it’s a good one

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It is, we do this every time and I'm also one of the people who is legit bothered by it (they are a few of us lurking around)

I don't mean the rule per say, I mean the implication...which is of course nothing! It implies nothing! All the Petz are happy and healthy on a farm!!!!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Everytime Dungeon Petz is mentioned it's like a bat signal to me. Love Dungeon Petz. Please play it, it's severely undervalued as a game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is, we do this every time and I'm also one of the people who is legit bothered by it (they are a few of us lurking around)

I don't mean the rule per say, I mean the implication...which is of course nothing! It implies nothing! All the Petz are happy and healthy on a farm!!!!

I like the more complicated meaningless Advanced Meat Stand variant where different elements get added to the market based on what sorts of Petz go unbought. More complexity and even less theme to support it somehow!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Everytime Dungeon Petz is mentioned it's like a bat signal to me. Love Dungeon Petz. Please play it, it's severely undervalued as a game.

in a completely unrelated move, i have a copy with the expansion and all promos i am selling so jump in those DMs if you follow tekopo's advice

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Memnaelar posted:

I like the more complicated meaningless Advanced Meat Stand variant where different elements get added to the market based on what sorts of Petz go unbought. More complexity and even less theme to support it somehow!

I know....weird right? *hiccup* but it means nothing...the animals are safe...you don't have to buy them to keep them alive!!! they're happy!!!!

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
My library system has Kingdomino, which works really well, large durable pieces.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
*fewer mechanics

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

You're it. You're the one person in this thread who wants less mechanics in a boardgame that's light enough to make people question whether it's actually a boardgame.

My bad for lumping you in with the herd on the other side. 10/10 uniqueness factor for you!
I genuinely don't understand the reason for your hostility in Board Game Thread 4e: The Call of Catan. I assume it was based on some slight miscommunications down the line on both our parts spiraling or you are in a bad mood so I'm going to drop it from here on it. Aroha!

In shop talk, I've still only managed to play my copy of Twilight Struggle once. But I've taken to watching Twilight Struggle digital edition videos on youtube.
Here is a good channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConkLD6X4WC6CIpsbl2IAZQ/videos although I wish there was less dead air.
And there is some sort of intense international tournament of Twilight Struggle: https://www.reddit.com/r/twilightstruggle/comments/f32j4i/itsl_2019_2020_halfway_to_playoffs_state_of_the/
Thanks again to all those who helped me with tips and rule clarifications. I've only just clicked you are in control of a country when your influence is higher than the opponent's by the country's stability as oppose to just being equal to the stability. Oh my god this explains heaps too. Although I kind of feel this will make it all a tad less dynamic which is wawaa but we SHALL SEE on playthrough #2 of a 15 year old game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Schizophonic posted:

Anyone have suggestions to add or thoughts? Some I've already got as personal donations. I don't quite have a handle on what budget will be like, as we're a relatively underfunded jurisdiction, but hoping I'll be able to argue my way up to a satisfying number.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I recommend Evolution: Climate. It scales well across a large number of players, it's light enough for anyone to pick up but still has interesting decisions, the artwork is gorgeous, it's an objectively better tableau builder than Machi Koro, and thematically it even counts as an "educational" game!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Schizophonic posted:

So I work in the library service, and I recently moved branch/gained seniority and am interested in creating a board game collection as a special project since we're in the process of diversifying generally (Makerspace area, graphic novels area, coding set up, etc etc). There's been a lot of useful info online, but I'm trying to come up with mostly casual to mid-weight games that introduce general game concepts, with a few heavier picks for advanced players. I'm not sure what format these will be used in just yet, though borrowing to take home is off the table for the time being. If you have any experience of that though, please do chime in with how it worked/how you found it!

Timeline and Coup are two casual and lightweight games that might be worth a shout.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Got in a game of Oath last night.

It really feels like you're starting in the final act of something, as advertised. Three player game, I didn't quite understand visions, and our Chancellor understood the game better than I did, so he knew my strategy at a level deeper than I did, and he ate me alive. Other exile just explored the game. I had a really great time, and when setting up the TTS file for the next game (the legacy-adjacent part), I felt board game excitement I hadn't felt in a while. It was a really solid experience.

Oath may be the worst TTS game I've ever played, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I played a game the other night with my group that I’m trying to find the name of. Each player had a cauldron with a spiral on it and pulled ingredients from a bag to get further out from the centre of the pot. At the end of every round was a buying phase to buy more ingredients to go in the bag.

It was a lot of fun, and I wanted to find out more about it, check reviews, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What’s TTS?

The_Doctor posted:

I played a game the other night with my group that I’m trying to find the name of. Each player had a cauldron with a spiral on it and pulled ingredients from a bag to get further out from the centre of the pot. At the end of every round was a buying phase to buy more ingredients to go in the bag.

It was a lot of fun, and I wanted to find out more about it, check reviews, etc.

Quacks of Quedlinburg.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tabletop simulator?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Quacks is good, there's an expansion which takes it to 5 as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

al-azad posted:

What’s TTS?

Quacks of Quedlinburg.

Ah! Thanks! Y’all are fast.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

The End posted:

When I was trying to salvage the game I theorycrafted a Pax style market row but tossed it when I realised I didn't want to play the game again

Was that you that posted the BGG thread about it? I think I am going to try a market row at 2P - did the Inis-style drafting and it was solid but i think a market row may offer even more dynamic play and counter-play.

Something like 2 rows x 6 columns of cards, with the purchase cost going from $6 down to $1, refill after each generation with the unclaimed $2's and $1's falling off and the rest shifting down, can only use one action per turn to purchase a card.

I know "just play a Lacerda/Splotter/Wehrle!" but TFM is about as heavy as my wife will go with games, and I enjoy it at 2P as well. Most of my bad experiences with TFM have been 4 hour slogs due to large player count + AP.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Tabletop Simulator. A fantastic desktop program for running pretty much any board game your can think of.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Schizophonic posted:

I'd consider some of the more modern abstracts as a possibility as well. Hive, YINSH, and The Duke are all good options.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CitizenKeen posted:

Tabletop Simulator. A fantastic desktop program for running pretty much any board game your can think of.

I would love to see someone playing OCS on TTS and try to stack every single counter

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I would love to see someone playing OCS on TTS and try to stack every single counter

The only OCS on TTS looks like it's USCB, and OCS doesn't have nearly the per-hex-counter density of ASL.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

garthoneeye posted:

I'd consider some of the more modern abstracts as a possibility as well. Hive, YINSH, and The Duke are all good options.

Santorini's a great one too, very cheap, easy to learn, and great table presence

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played another game of Root. Factions were the Crows, Otters, Alliance, and Vagabond. Alliance won because Crows dropped the ball and forgot to get some easy points the last round.

Without a big stompy faction there was no one to control the Crows' and Alliance's expansions. Definitely the most passive and reactive game of Root I've ever played. Can't say I recommend playing a game without the Birds, Cats, or Moles. I'm also thinking that Otters and Crows really take up a lot of the same headspace (card taking mindgames to leverage your core mechanic) and both compete for valuable extra cards from other players. Going to try and avoid Otters / Crows in the same game unless the other two factions are big military ones.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Had a 'board game day' that I hope to turn monthly, over the weekend, and it turned out pretty great! Had 7 people total, which meant two tables of 4 and 3, and I got around to playing Bargain Quest, The Estates, High Society (as a filler while waiting for the other group to finish) Arboretum, and two games of Burgle Bros. Seemed like everyone enjoyed it, had some tasty lasagna and assorted snacks, looking forward to the next one. Definitely going to state upfront that I'm limiting it to about 8 people though, at 7 my place was getting full and I can't imagine the full 12 I invited cramming into that space.

But next time...the heavy (somewhat) stuff comes out. Talking 'bout Dungeon Petz, talking 'bout Nations, talking 'bout...I don't know, Argent maybe. Also maybe Galaxy Trucker, which is not so heavy, but like more than half the people there didn't want to deal with the anxiety of the real-time building stuff.

That's the point! You make trash and it explodes!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

TTS allows you to aggregate and stack counters automatically.
You can also put them in a tiny cannon when you're done and shoot them across the table.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How do you feel about the decisions that Burgle Bros affords you coop? I've played a bit on my phone, but can't get a good grasp on how that would translate to the physical space.
Also not sure how it would fare with BB2 coming out at some point.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

canyoneer posted:

You can also put them in a tiny cannon when you're done and shoot them across the table.

Are the counters pefect squares and there is community agreement not to provide files with chamfered corners so you have to make them yourself

I just think it should be true to the real experience

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Vassal's better for games with big stacks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

Played another game of Root. Factions were the Crows, Otters, Alliance, and Vagabond. Alliance won because Crows dropped the ball and forgot to get some easy points the last round.

Without a big stompy faction there was no one to control the Crows' and Alliance's expansions. Definitely the most passive and reactive game of Root I've ever played. Can't say I recommend playing a game without the Birds, Cats, or Moles. I'm also thinking that Otters and Crows really take up a lot of the same headspace (card taking mindgames to leverage your core mechanic) and both compete for valuable extra cards from other players. Going to try and avoid Otters / Crows in the same game unless the other two factions are big military ones.

That game sounds miserable for otters because none of those factions want to spend warriors.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I was Otters, and yes. I gave up and switched to Dominion victory the last round when the other three were at 25+ points and I was at 10.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

The best part is that if you jiggle the stack, it randomizes the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Morpheus posted:

But next time...the heavy (somewhat) stuff comes out.

Coward, lock the door at 9am when they all arrive, and then pull out Twilight Imperium. :twisted: