Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Replace "get to" with "have to" and you have it, basically. Do you want to set up your own loot filters?
Well, generally speaking, yes. If only because it annoys me when a game takes the ability to make that decision away from me.

But yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying, for the kind of loot-focused game that ARPG are intentionally designed to be and the kind of people that they tend to appeal to, not having that kind of basic convenience feature straight from the start speaks of a very lackluster understanding of your target demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Under normal circumstances Wolcen doesn't drop enough loot in total for you to really need a filter.

Quaver
May 21, 2007
I'm floaty light, bitch.

This is 100% cheating, as it's for a game I'm developing and therefore almost certainly not going to make it into production, but I loved it dearly and wanted to share. My game is a naval combat game, and the other day I was working on adding torpedo attack planes -- they fly towards their target ship, drop a torpedo, it lands in the water and goes forward.

Everything was working fine except the torpedoes were vanishing as soon as they got dropped. Where were they going? Waaaay the hell off the map, that's where. Because they had a velocity somewhere in the vicinity of mach 9. Ah yes, of course :thunk:

(the cause was that my projectile handling code was multiplying the provided aim vector by the projectile's specified velocity...and the "aim" vector was the airplane's flying velocity. So the torpedoes were going about a hundred times faster than the airplanes were, and the planes were already traveling at a decent clip)

A related bug that I have yet to fix: I recently improved my boat motion logic so that they actually float on the waves of the ocean, instead of just kind of sitting there at a fixed height while the waves pass through them. As a consequence of this, if a boat is at the top of a wave, torpedoes will pass underneath it. Which is great for the player when they're getting shot at...less great when you finally line up your own torpedo shot and it misses through no fault of your own.

This reminds me of when I was studying CS at university. We had a 2D games module in our second year and the coursework for that module was to design a naval defence game -- basically, you have a cannon on a clifftop and have to shoot at attacking boats (bonus points for physics simulation, damage bars etc.).
Now, I didn't pay a lot of attention in my second year (and later dropped out) because I just spent my entire time working in a shop to earn some cash on the side. So I had basically zero idea how to make this game.

Whereas everyone else managed to make a vaguely game-like thing, mine didn't really work at all. If you tried to rotate the cannon, the cannon stayed still and the world rotated around it. Not great, but I could pass that off as a stylistic choice, maybe?
The big problem, however, was I forgot to ensure the game continued to run without keyboard input, so you could fire a projectile, take your finger off the key and the game would just ... stop, projectile included. Meaning you could adjust the world up & down to basically laser-guide your dumb projectile to hit the ships (which had also stopped) every single time.

When I realised how broken the game was, there was quite a lot of laughter in my student house. Don't think I passed that module, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Moving the world around the player" is 100% a stylistic choice, as is "the game pauses when you aren't doing anything". I think a big part of coming up with cool new game mechanics is seeing the broken poo poo that inevitably turns up when you're doing development, and figuring out how to make that fun.

Semi-famously, Devil May Cry 1 was originally going to be a Resident Evil game, but during development they had a glitch where enemies would get tossed up into the air when the protagonist attacked them. They liked it well enough to make an entire new series instead.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Heck, time standing still without player input is the central gameplay mechanic of SUPER HOT

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It used to be that high-level enemies would drop up to 16 items apiece, all of them "valuable" (like Holy Avenger swords, dragon scale mail, rare spellbooks, etc.) but statistically useless because by the time you're killing those enemies you almost certainly already have better.

That's my biggest problem with the Witcher games, right there.

You finish a high level quest and they hand you the loot you've just worked several hours for and it's some piece of poo poo weapon that's ten levels below you.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's my biggest problem with the Witcher games, right there.

You finish a high level quest and they hand you the loot you've just worked several hours for and it's some piece of poo poo weapon that's ten levels below you.

The real loot was the friends you made along the way

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
True.

Made, hunted, stabbed and decapitated.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's no point to equipping anything but the special Witcher school gear, if I remember correctly. Yeah, don't play Witcher 3 for the loot

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phlegmish posted:

There's no point to equipping anything but the special Witcher school gear, if I remember correctly. Yeah, don't play Witcher 3 for the loot

Oh look, twelve orens, but I need to convert it from axes and ugly armor at the money changer blacksmith first.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/mygftuB.gifv

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

Heck, time standing still without player input is the central gameplay mechanic of SUPER HOT

And time not standing still even if the player isn't putting in input was the change that made the entire Diablo series, and, from that, the entire action-rpg genre and, as a cherry on top, modern AAA rpg-boosted looter-shooters, happen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Personally I hope we still get flailing NPCs stuck in geometry even when we achieve holodeck levels of gaming technology.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea at this point if I knock a corpse into a wall or something I'm going to get disappointed if it doesn't freak the gently caress out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm a simple gal, and I'm always here for an NPC having boneitis.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've said it before, but ragdolls and euphoria in particular are among the best things to ever happen to video games. Ragdoll freakouts never fail to make me laugh.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Somfin posted:

And time not standing still even if the player isn't putting in input was the change that made the entire Diablo series, and, from that, the entire action-rpg genre and, as a cherry on top, modern AAA rpg-boosted looter-shooters, happen

Are you 12? The ARPG genre has been around since well before Diablo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

The original Diablo came out 23 year ago, before Diablo ARPG games were things like Zelda but after they were games like Diablo. It redefined the meaning of ARPG entirely. So whilst arguably ARPG's were around before Diablo not in any meaningful way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

The original Diablo came out 23 year ago, before Diablo ARPG games were things like Zelda but after they were games like Diablo. It redefined the meaning of ARPG entirely. So whilst arguably ARPG's were around before Diablo not in any meaningful way.

Diablo is where it went from Action game with RPG elements to RPG with action game elements in a lot of ways.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

ookiimarukochan posted:

This is a little bit like saying that the first-person shooter was around well before Doom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aramoro posted:

Diablo is the first significantly popular Point and Click Action RPG, but it turns out that many other input methods and styles of Action RPG exist and have existed for far longer than Diablo. And Diablo is really just Angband/Rogue with multiplayer and graphics.

Ys, Hydlide, Secret of Mana, gently caress it let’s just quote wikipedia here

quote:

Diablo (1996) set the template for point and click action RPG gameplay.

Somfin posted:

This is a little bit like saying that the first-person shooter was around well before Doom.

Saying Diablo is the first action RPG is a little bit like saying PUBG was the first FPS.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How many games coming out today play like Hydlide, SoM and the older Ys?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

A lot of people just use "ARPG" to mean "Diablo clone" rather than "RPG with action elements".

Not that anyone can agree what an RPG is either.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If anything it was really Diablo 2 that really redefined the genre. The first game was more roguelike than action game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Triarii posted:

A lot of people just use "ARPG" to mean "Diablo clone" rather than "RPG with action elements".

Yeah "ARPG" and "Action RPG" are different terms these days. If somebody is saying the first, they are probably referring to games descended from Diablo.

rodbeard posted:

If anything it was really Diablo 2 that really redefined the genre. The first game was more roguelike than action game.
Or rather, yes, Diablo 2. Which is kinda the Doom to Diablo 1's Wolfenstien 3D.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Triarii posted:

I looked up Action RPG to find out what was the first, and it really is a labeling issue in general. Diablo is largely important to the genre it is part of, but its certainly not a Zelda game and both are classified as "ARPG"

Top down looter action rpg?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

In most ways Diablo III is the first Roguelike

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grassy Knowles posted:

Diablo is the first significantly popular Point and Click Action RPG, but it turns out that many other input methods and styles of Action RPG exist and have existed for far longer than Diablo. And Diablo is really just Angband/Rogue with multiplayer and graphics.

Ys, Hydlide, Secret of Mana, gently caress it let's just quote wikipedia here

Saying Diablo is the first action RPG is a little bit like saying PUBG was the first FPS.

I take your point here and I do kind of agree, but video game genres have long been defined quite specifically by their input and UI styles- RPGs in particular are vulnerable to being defined that way. JRPG doesn't mean Japanese anymore, not really, it means a very particular set of input / UI / game flow conventions. But! You're right that there were a lot of games that stuck their toes in real-time, top-down, stat-driven, mouse-oriented and loot-based elements (in various combinations) before Diablo came along and decided to take a turn-based tactical CRPG core and stick all of those elements on, which in turn led to the more successful Gauntlet Legends-y sequel every loving studio has been trying to clone for ages.

E: Apparently the specification "point and click arpg" would have clarified all of this, sorry for that

Junkie Disease posted:

In most ways Diablo III is the first Roguelike

Really we should just be calling them Titan-Quest-Likes, and to get the thread back on track, no game has has ever had ragdoll fuckups like Titan Quest's. They say Polyphemus' loincloth is still exponentially vibrating to this day.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Feb 19, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So if an RPG is defined as a game where you play a character, and an ARPG is defined by its action, we get the obvious conclusion that any game with a character where you do an action is an ARPG. I have now solved every genre problem ever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

WirelessPillow posted:

I looked up Action RPG to find out what was the first, and it really is a labeling issue in general. Diablo is largely important to the genre it is part of, but its certainly not a Zelda game and both are classified as "ARPG"

Top down looter action rpg?

I call diablo likes 'lootemups'

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm so loving mad this game got shelved

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I call Diablo a Diablo-clone.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Clones were the original knock offs

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pretty good posted:

I'm so loving mad this game got shelved

What is this?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
ARPGs are only "Diablo-likes" if they have 2d graphics, anything with polygons is actually a "Darkstone-like"

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

The in-game messageboard for The Magical Realms of Tir na Nog: Escape from Necron 7 - The Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Snake Maze posted:

The in-game messageboard for The Magical Realms of Tir na Nog: Escape from Necron 7 - The Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

What exactly happened with that game, anyway? Far as I understand it half the team quit for vague reasons leaving only the publicity guy fighting to keep the project alive.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

They raised vastly more money than they needed to make the game they were thinking of, and they tried to make vastly more game than they could or should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Not a glitch so much as a funny artifact of programming, but it turns out a train in Fallout 3 is actually a hand in-game