Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Our_Million-Year_Mission

This but unironically. smirks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wait, someone made the Jean-Luc HyperRiker comics canon*? Oh gently caress yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'll just turn the series into a giant robot anime so gradually you don't even notice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'll just turn the series into a giant robot anime so gradually you don't even notice.

Captain Picard stands up from his chair and points at the view screen. “Picard to Engineering; Mr. La Forge, engage the T-Matrix!”

Riker and Troi gasp in suspense on either side of him. The screen splits into a V shape to show all three of their faces at once.

Down in Engineering, Geordi places his hand on the Warp Core, pauses dramatically for a second, then turns the big dial on the dilithium chamber. As loud as he can muster, he shouts “HENSHIN!”

A heroic blue light emerges from the Enterprise’s warp core.

After a three minute long transformation sequence designed specifically to full running time, the Enterprise has changed into a giant robotic warrior with a head shaped exactly like Mr. Data’s.

Picard sits back down in his captain’s chair, now wearing a helmet with sunglasses for some reason. He smirks knowingly, “Tea. Earl Grey.... Burning hot.” :c00l:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

ohgod please stop someone ban him please

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is anyone mad about the fact they didn't cast Maddox as the original actor, who was such a Trek nerd he made a theatrical musical at the university he works at and definitely wouldn't be the type of person to turn the role down?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

AntherUslessPoster posted:

RLM is picking joke theory breadcrumbs off this forum and try to shove them as their 'predictions' for the money off the views :v:

At least have some courage. I propose that Commodore Oh is the daughter of Spock and Mirror Georgiou, thus explaining why she wears sunglasses.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's more likely they bring back Soong than Lore.

But Brent Spiner is only credited one episode so its be a hell of a move.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mossyfisk posted:

At least have some courage. I propose that Commodore Oh is the daughter of Spock and Mirror Georgiou, thus explaining why she wears sunglasses.

Mirror Tomalack and double-mirror T'pol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I regret we never got a mirror universe TNG episode.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

DaveKap posted:

Is anyone mad about the fact they didn't cast Maddox as the original actor, who was such a Trek nerd he made a theatrical musical at the university he works at and definitely wouldn't be the type of person to turn the role down?

Looking at his IMDB seems like he's not been in anything much since the 90s. He might be not taking steady acting gigs any more.

The general shrouding and mystery around him makes me think we aren't going to actually meet him in this series, and it will turn out he's already dead or some other person or being has been impersonating him or something. That or he won't be cast till a later season.

Otherwise I feel we would have seen him already.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

RLM predictions:

Romulans created the Borg.

Lore will return.

We'll seeeee.

I can't wait for fat Lore

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

In the end of the ep5 trailer there's someone falling on the floor around the moment they namedrop 'Maddox'.
A clue? No credits for Maddox role for ep5 on imdb.

mossyfisk posted:

Spock, Burnham and Lorca's daughter* they had a threesome.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Martytoof posted:

The larger Lore becomes, the more powerful he will be.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
It's a little disturbing how all the usual Trek Youtube channels are erasing Chabon as the showrunner/writer to blame Kurtzman for any failings. The guy has demonstrated himself and was literally sharing the writing with his father on his deathbed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Might be interesting if Lore's actually chilled out over the years and come to embrace his flaws.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lore just Space Vapes all day and reads philosophy

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Discovery set up Section 31 as the artificial intelligence secret society and now Picard has an anti-AI secret society. I can't help but think this is setting up the reveal of some dumbass Synth Cold War plot to tie all of their new Star Treks together. I need to stop thinking about this because it's making me angry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's just the Butlerian Jihad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might be interesting if Lore's actually chilled out over the years and come to embrace his flaws.

A Lore who, upon reactivation, learns of Data's death and, while he doesn't have his emotion chip, since Data took it, is still saddened, since he had much more developed emotive and other "realistic" subroutines, and finds out about his older brother B4, but can't see him would be interesting, especially if he becomes more introspective instead of just kill all humans.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the thread consensus on Picard? Just caught up and, while I do enjoy seeing Stewart in this role again, the show doesn't really work for me. Seems like they tried to Game of Thrones it up with a lot of pretty stilted drama.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

What's the thread consensus on Picard? Just caught up and, while I do enjoy seeing Stewart in this role again, the show doesn't really work for me. Seems like they tried to Game of Thrones it up with a lot of pretty stilted drama.

It's okay, not bad, but I'm having a hard time getting super invested in anything that's going on. Patrick Stewart is great, but I don't think he can carry the whole thing on his own, and so the nostalgia plays aren't doing it for me - because TNG was about way more than just Picard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kidkissinger posted:

There is no consensus other than It's Not As Good As It Could Be

There's the I Hate Everything contingent ragequitting after every episode (but still watching again and hanging around)
There's the Just Enjoy Things contingent
There's the Give It Time contingent
There's the Everything is Symbolism contingent
There's the Logic Extremists
There's the Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy
and finally

There's me, with the only objectively correct opinions about Star Trek

(note that "me" is a placeholder for whoever is reading this post)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DaveKap posted:

I recently read somewhere that a fan asked Brian Brophy if he was reprising Maddox, and apparently that was the first he’d heard he was coming back. :(

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The Bloop posted:

There's me, with the only objectively correct opinions about Star Trek

(note that "me" is a placeholder for whoever is reading this post)

Between those two lines I closed my eyes trying to remember if anyone ITT ever had an objectively correct opinion about Picard lmao

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Between those two lines I closed my eyes trying to remember if anyone ITT ever had an objectively correct opinion about Picard lmao

Not a broadly correct opinion about the entire show, but people who think that Zhaban and Laris aren't the best characters in the show and deserve way more screentime are absolutely wrong.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MichiganCubbie posted:

A Lore who, upon reactivation, learns of Data's death and, while he doesn't have his emotion chip, since Data took it, is still saddened, since he had much more developed emotive and other "realistic" subroutines, and finds out about his older brother B4, but can't see him would be interesting, especially if he becomes more introspective instead of just kill all humans.

Lore was reactivated after Data's death and told his brother is gone.

"Brother... I will avenge you."

Ten years later, Romulus explodes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not a broadly correct opinion about the entire show, but people who think that Zhaban and Laris aren't the best characters in the show and deserve way more screentime are absolutely wrong.

Clearly the twincest murder spies are superior

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Picard's barely started, I think it's still a little too early to call.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Counterpoint: Picard Season One is 40% over

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Picard Season One is 40% over

40% of TNG Season One:

"Encounter at Farpoint"
"The Naked Now"
"Code of Honor"
"The Last Outpost"
"Where No One Has Gone Before"
"Lonely Among Us"
"Justice"
"The Battle"
"Hide and Q"
the first 40% of "Haven"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Now that TV isn't written to be episodic audiovisual wallpaper for syndication like it was 30 years ago, people rightly have adjusted their expectations for a story that engages you more quickly.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 18, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The pacing and serialization is probably the worst part of Picard. It has taken 3 hours to just get past the setup (assuming the next episode isn't more set up) and so far all that has been set up is an overarching plot that we have probably already guessed the twist to and paper thin characters that you understand as soon as you first see them*.

In 1.5 hours, Farpoint set up and resolves an entire ensemble show, the reboot to a decades old show, the main plot of the Farpoint station, and the Q plot involving a godlike being judging all of humanity.

Unification does the same with Romulan society, Romulan-Vulcan relations, Spock's mission there, and why Tasha Yar has come back as a romulan.

All Good Things juggles three timelines -- including showing you what every character does after the show ends -- and takes you on a journey through the show from the first life on earth, the first episode of the show to the last, and then to the conclusion of every characters' journey.

A New Hope takes 2 hours to go from farm boy to destroying the death star and saving the universe.

By the time Picard is over, it will have a longer runtime than the entire star wars prequel trilogy -- which despite its faults, covers the downfall of a republic into a fascist empire through a war engineered by a senator.

I'll keep on watching and have hope that the show knows what it's doing, but I think the basic premise of what they're going for is bound to be disappointing and wish the show was just episodic.

*You've got:
- the bookworm scientist
- the samurai forgotten son of JL
- the han solo wannabe
- the maverick who hates JLs guts (but really still likes him and will probably sacrifice herself to save him later, book it)
- the robot lady
- evil incest twins
- and 7 of 9, who doesn't need setup since another show did that for us

Edit: Picard will be just 20% shorter than Shoah, the comprehensive documentary about the Holocaust that took 11 years to make. Do you think they will use the runtime in Picard to the same effect?

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 18, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One thing of note about Picard is that it keeps adding settings. I wonder if this is the sort of thing where Picard's gathering a crew is just introducing us to a bunch of places whose politics we will follow in the future, in a Game-of-Thrones simultaneous storylines way.

That might actually be kind of cool, which is probably why I get that false impression. But I've always thought a GoT-style world breakdown would work great with the Star Trek Universe; have events on Earth, events on another important planet or two, various space stations, you have travelling segments in ships, you can follow an armada... Every now and then, you get multiple storylines meeting and that's where a bunch of poo poo happens to shake up the whole setting.

The key is, the Star Trek universe is as big or small as you want the focus to be, and if they could successfully zoom in and out on that like GoT did (in the earlier seasons) it could be very compelling to see how everything shapes each other.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MichiganCubbie posted:

40% of TNG Season One:

TNG season is 26 episodes, 40% of it is 10.4
PIC season is 10 episodes, which makes 40% just a 4.

In TNG the first 4 episodes were....
A mediocre farpoint two parter, naked now and code of honour, which makes like 20 minutes out of 4 episodes watchable or making any sense and/or worldbuilding.

piratepilates posted:

*You've got:
- the bookworm scientist
- the samurai forgotten son of JL
- the han solo wannabe
- the maverick who hates JLs guts (but really still likes him and will probably sacrifice herself to save him later, book it)
- the robot lady
- evil incest twins
- and 7 of 9, who doesn't need setup since another show did that for us

The sunglasses toting lady with self identity crisis

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 18, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

TNG season is 26 episodes, 40% of it is 10.4
PIC season is 10 episodes, which makes 40% just a 4.

In TNG the first 4 episodes were....
A mediocre farpoint two parter, naked now and code of honour, which makes like 20 minutes out of 4 episodes watchable or making any sense and/or worldbuilding.

That's why my list was the first 10.4 episodes. We need to keep perspective that we get a lot less TV now than we did in 1987.

I was also pointing out that the episodes were basically garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all motherfuckers watched Voyager.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

galenanorth posted:

Watching DIS S01E04, it feels like they had intended for Lorca to be evil since the beginning of the show, as he engages in kick the puppy nipple-clamp the tardigrade cruelty, but that doesn't really change that a Mirror Universe story released weekly in the context of fans having reason to be anxious that Star Trek is going to go full-24 was a bad idea

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835149&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=75
Flashback to when the thread was discussing whether Lorca is from the Mirror Universe, and yeah, "this is not us, we're meant to be explorers!" has been a plot point for too long. If there's another series set after Picard, I'd like it to be another plain straight-up exploration series

I popped on an episode of TNG last night and I had forgotten how important the "Space. The final frontier..." quote was to giving the show some gravity from the intro on. It's a shame because I think everyone, including folks who haven't been foaming at the mouth about Disco and Picard, would really appreciate a very straightforward Star Trek. Trouble is, with two shows already going on, a third coming, and then maybe 15 more depending on the production rumours of the day, seems likely they'll burn though good episode concepts or have to avoid certain ones already flagged for the other two.

Also, that old discussion seemed to be mostly about the nipple clamps.

piratepilates posted:

Edit: Picard will be just 20% shorter than Shoah, the comprehensive documentary about the Holocaust that took 11 years to make. Do you think they will use the runtime in Picard to the same effect?

Picard is also 80% less juicy than a McDonald's McDouble. Picard is only 20% the height of a man five times his height. Picard will have less vowels in it than in Literature, the complete set of all human works written. Star Wars, the comprehensive movie about moisture farmers standing up to the space government, will have over 75% more scenes filmed in Tunisia than Picard.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 18, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MichiganCubbie posted:

That's why my list was the first 10.4 episodes. We need to keep perspective that we get a lot less TV now than we did in 1987.

I was also pointing out that the episodes were basically garbage.

Missed both points there, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

One thing of note about Picard is that it keeps adding settings. I wonder if this is the sort of thing where Picard's gathering a crew is just introducing us to a bunch of places whose politics we will follow in the future, in a Game-of-Thrones simultaneous storylines way.

That might actually be kind of cool, which is probably why I get that false impression. But I've always thought a GoT-style world breakdown would work great with the Star Trek Universe; have events on Earth, events on another important planet or two, various space stations, you have travelling segments in ships, you can follow an armada... Every now and then, you get multiple storylines meeting and that's where a bunch of poo poo happens to shake up the whole setting.

The key is, the Star Trek universe is as big or small as you want the focus to be, and if they could successfully zoom in and out on that like GoT did (in the earlier seasons) it could be very compelling to see how everything shapes each other.

This is basically one of the strongest things about DS9; Bajor, Cardassia, Earth, Ferenginar, and Deep Space 9 (or Terok Nor) itself are settings given individual characterisation that changes throughout the series as the political situation does.