Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GM is a company run by very stupid executives who hired very stupid engineers and they're incapable of learning or growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

FuturePastNow posted:

GM is a company run by very stupid executives who hired very stupid engineers and they're incapable of learning or growing.

Lmao. I’m quite positive the engineers there are not the issue with fun cars not being manufactured.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Lol do you really think the engineers are at fault? Most of them want to design cool and good poo poo but the bean counters won't let them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah, GM's engineers are world-class. But the company undermines them every chance it gets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
management is always the problem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
possibly the worst allocations of resources of all oems

how many things has GM released half assed, finally made good, and then immediately killed?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how many things has GM released half assed, finally made good, and then immediately killed?

Does this mean they're going to kill the Corvette next year?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ah, the circle of life

beautiful, in its way

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

there's probably a 30% chance

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KillHour posted:

Corvette actually makes money for GM, and GM hasn't yet squeezed the brand equity out by building a Corvette SUV:

quote:

Participating in a conference call one day with the “task force” put together by the U.S. Treasury Department to consolidate GM manufacturing operations, Juechter was planning to advocate passionately for Corvette and its small, special plant: “We went around the room introducing ourselves, and when I introduced myself as Corvette chief engineer, one consultant said, ‘What can you tell me about C7?’—the same question we were getting from our customers. I thought, ‘Wow, this guy knows the lingo and wants to know about C7. He may get it.’ They got into our books and saw that Corvette made money, so getting going on a new one was on the to-do list coming out of bankruptcy. It was spared as an extremely valuable brand that is known globally, and the Bowling Green assembly plant was also spared.”

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Corvette actually makes money for GM, and GM hasn't yet squeezed the brand equity out by building a Corvette SUV:

StingrayEV incoming to compete with MachE calling it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh please do it GM. The amount of tears from the Mustang boomers are just a small taste of what we'd hear if they did that to the Corvette.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Oh please do it GM. The amount of tears from the Mustang boomers are just a small taste of what we'd hear if they did that to the Corvette.

corvette EV but it is the only way in the corvette line to get chrome wheels

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

StingrayEV incoming to compete with MachE calling it

StingraE

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Countdown to someone naming their child Stingrae

Who am I kidding, it’s probably already happened

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Huge SUEVs with a metric ton of Lithium batteries
Ive said it before EVs are and will be terrible for the environment.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Because corporate mills like the 3.6L "high-feature" V6 make the 14th Floor types tent their khakis.

But honestly, riding the DOHC V8 tiger hasn't done much for Cadillac when a warmed-over LSx/LTx motor would have been perfectly fine, drat the bitching about pushrods.

I mean it's the primary engine in the most popular and profitable Cadillac...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Huge SUEVs with a metric ton of Lithium batteries
Ive said it before EVs are and will be terrible for the environment.

You can say it as many times as you like, people have conducted actual lifecycle analyses of the energy debt to build and operate a BEV vs an ICE vehicle of equivalent size and the EV still wins.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

drgitlin posted:

You can say it as many times as you like, people have conducted actual lifecycle analyses of the energy debt to build and operate a BEV vs an ICE vehicle of equivalent size and the EV still wins.

Don't build new cars :smuggo:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Don't build new cars :smuggo:

There's been so many EV conversions of existing cars by dudes in garages an colleges that industry has to be looking at the viability of producing similar in larger numbers for their existing classics.

I mean, surely, right?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Maybe people don't need to be driving 3 ton monstrosities

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Sure. What are you doing to convince them of that?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Outlaw them

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

drgitlin posted:

This, but taking their Yukon away

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1104390156025384961?s=19

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I ended up going to the Philly auto show today since a friend texted me last second. We're about a year and a half or so from needing to replace my wife's Macan, and she think she wants a wagon. Surprisingly, they had the new A6 all road (non-RS6) there which I've wanted to check out. It may be a contender. The infotainment system is integrated in to the dash/console, and there's no stupid iPad sticking out of the dash like you get with the current A4 all road. The interior is typical Audi: great, with a ton of room in the front/back seats.

Some cons:
Fuel economy is only 21/26, which seems low in TYOOL 2020.
The rake on the rear hatch is pretty steep, which cuts in to the usable space in the back quite a bit. I'm curious how it compares volume-wise to other competitors.
It's not cheap.

Checked out the V60/V90 as well, which may also be on the list. Still have the incredible interior I remember, with the benefit of potentially having more usable space inside the hatch. I hear modern Volvos are absolutely terrible reliability wise?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

drgitlin posted:

When my city-dwelling friends tell me "I need an X5 because I drive on a dirt road a couple of times a year" I try to convince them that they in fact don't. I also try to vote for greener initatives but my power there is limited because I'm not a) a billionaire or b) in a position to shape corporate or government policy.

If someone put me in charge, I'd tax vehicles by weight, with exemptions for farmers etc.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

I ended up going to the Philly auto show today since a friend texted me last second. We're about a year and a half or so from needing to replace my wife's Macan, and she think she wants a wagon. Surprisingly, they had the new A6 all road (non-RS6) there which I've wanted to check out. It may be a contender. The infotainment system is integrated in to the dash/console, and there's no stupid iPad sticking out of the dash like you get with the current A4 all road. The interior is typical Audi: great, with a ton of room in the front/back seats.

Some cons:
Fuel economy is only 21/26, which seems low in TYOOL 2020.
The rake on the rear hatch is pretty steep, which cuts in to the usable space in the back quite a bit. I'm curious how it compares volume-wise to other competitors.
It's not cheap.

Checked out the V60/V90 as well, which may also be on the list. Still have the incredible interior I remember, with the benefit of potentially having more usable space inside the hatch. I hear modern Volvos are absolutely terrible reliability wise?

Well thanks for this post because I was actually trying to think of something to do with the family tomorrow so I guess I am going to the auto show! Are there any particularly cool or not cool things to see? We're not really in the market for a new car at this point but might be in 6 months or a year.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Well thanks for this post because I was actually trying to think of something to do with the family tomorrow so I guess I am going to the auto show! Are there any particularly cool or not cool things to see? We're not really in the market for a new car at this point but might be in 6 months or a year.

Definitely check out the Dub Show down in the basement somewhere, it's where all the modified cars are. Probably a lot more interesting than the actual autoshow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm sure it'll be a great way to spend a day with the family (and way less busy than the weekend). Audi had the RS5/S6/S7/S8 there. Jeep had their usual obstacle course thing. There's a section with some supercars, including an F40/XJ220/Veyrons/Chirons. A bunch of manufacturers had driving simulators set up, some with movement/hydraulic setups. Honda's seemed the coolest since they even had VR. I didn't try any since the lines were long, but it should be better tomorrow.

I think the last time I went to the Philly auto show was 2 years ago, but it's kind of shocking how much smaller the show is these days than say, 10 years ago, where it stretched across 3 floors. No Mercedes/BMW this year.

edit: Huh, looks like BMW/Mercedes are also out of NYC this year. Even less of a reason to go. :(

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 17, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grakkus posted:

When my city-dwelling friends tell me "I need an X5 because I drive on a dirt road a couple of times a year" I try to convince them that they in fact don't. I also try to vote for greener initatives but my power there is limited because I'm not a) a billionaire or b) in a position to shape corporate or government policy.

If someone put me in charge, I'd tax vehicles by weight, with exemptions for farmers etc.

I wrote off a BMW X5 as farm equipment a few decades ago. That was a fun loophole, and I’m sure what you are referring to. Was an incredible tax write off for sure.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I wrote off a BMW X5 as farm equipment a few decades ago. That was a fun loophole, and I’m sure what you are referring to. Was an incredible tax write off for sure.

My uncle's dad has a Q5 for driving around his dairy (granted this is in Sweden).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here you uses to be able to get out of 20% VAT with any vehicle as long as it had a separate cargo compartment. Vans and trucks obviously ok, SUVs, hatchbacks and wagons not. Unless... you installed a thin $20 mesh separating the cargo. Lots of Land Cruiser and Grand Cherokee commercial vehicles everywhere until they closed this.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, in the UK farmers use SUVS (commonly range rovers) to drive around their farms.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
GM has axed its Holden brand, and is pulling out of its remaining RHD markets Australia NZ and Thailand. I thought they might soldier on longer considering the popularity of utes and SUVs over there, but apparently not.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51499775
GM has now left Europe, India, Oceania and large parts of SEA in the last few years. Surly putting all your eggs in two pretty volatile but currently profitable baskets (US and China) can't backfire.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well maybe they'll make enough money before China's domestic vehicle market matures to the point that foreign brands outside of status-signaling luxury marques die out

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Humbug posted:

GM has now left Europe, India, Oceania and large parts of SEA in the last few years. Surly putting all your eggs in two pretty volatile but currently profitable baskets (US and China) can't backfire.

Don't worry, we'll bail them out again when the time comes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Humbug posted:

GM has axed its Holden brand, and is pulling out of its remaining RHD markets Australia NZ and Thailand. I thought they might soldier on longer considering the popularity of utes and SUVs over there, but apparently not.

Colorado sure but the SUVs were only ever a success because the Captiva was very cheap and it's replacements are not (lol at paying Highlander/CX-9 prices for an Acadia)

My parents worked at GMH Trentham in the 70s and 80s and even back then the company was a disaster. It''s amazing they lasted as long as they did.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Humbug posted:

Huh. Didnt realise China sales was 3 million for GM last year.

Down from 4 million in 2015 tho

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
GMs management continues to plumb new depths of retardedness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JK Fresco posted:

GMs management continues to plumb new depths of retardedness

id argue that spending decades plowing money in to unprofitable markets was the peak of stupidity

I mean they're dumb in other ways too but it's not like staying in these markets is magically going to make them smarter at the other stuff.