Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

swickles posted:

The whole Memento/Finding Dory joke theme was great. I actuall wish this was a two parter, Memento/Dory Pimento still had fuel in the tank I felt.

I don't know, Jason Mantzoukas is someone who is absolutely great in small doses, but too much and he can get really tiring, really really quickly. Best to keep him to little appearances, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
poo poo! I forgot about McMillions!! I've been waiting for that to come out. I remember everything about that from the outside--we collected pieces when we were kids, not understanding why we were all exactly one piece away from any prize. Then, years later, I heard that they had busted some people for fixing the contest. I think the game went away for a few years.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
I thought the Captain Holt "Pop pop" was weirdly specific like it might be some kind of Community reference. Now we get Jim Rash. Here's to hoping this is the Community crossover season.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

I don't know, Jason Mantzoukas is someone who is absolutely great in small doses, but too much and he can get really tiring, really really quickly. Best to keep him to little appearances, as a treat.

I agree. His constant coked up vibe is hard to handle for too long. Great episode though he’s really great In that character.

Suxpool posted:

I thought the Captain Holt "Pop pop" was weirdly specific like it might be some kind of Community reference. Now we get Jim Rash. Here's to hoping this is the Community crossover season.

Every show should crossover with community. Also where’s the drat movie

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God drat I can't believe that Pimento is back, he's so unbelievably poo poo and unfunny.

Also I didn't like the punchline of the 37k being given to captain Kim in episode 2.
I feel like you've got loads of episodes about financial stuff and then making a huge amount into a joke just felt weird. I dunno, maybe he said 3700? Even so, I'm not a fan of that.

Just reminds me of a lot of American dramedy things where they get sillier.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Taear posted:

God drat I can't believe that Pimento is back, he's so unbelievably poo poo and unfunny.

Counterpoint: Mantzoukas is hilarious and makes everything better

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ishamael posted:

He's totally unfunny and shouldn't be in anything ever. He's someone who only seems to be funny in America, like SNL.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ishamael posted:

I love when he was the insurance investigator. "YEE WAS THERE?!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

He's totally unfunny and shouldn't be in anything ever. He's someone who only seems to be funny in America, like SNL.

Strange that he's on American television for Americans, huh? I don't get it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Taear posted:

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Strange that he's on American television for Americans, huh? I don't get it.

I mean I'd argue that Brooklyn 99 is for everyone rather than just for Americans. At least SNL doesn't tend to broadcast outside of America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The dude’s fine in small doses but his gimmick is kind of to one note for a whole episode.

It’s mainly the same joke over and over

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ishamael posted:

Mantzoukas is like cilantro, people either love him or hate him there is no in between.

Personally, I love the guy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Mantzoukas is like cilantro, people either love him or hate him there is no in between.

Nah, I find him unfunny, but don't really mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, but the reason people who hate cilantro hate it is because they have a gene that makes it taste like soap.

I'm tired of Mantzoukas because Pimento is Raffi is Derek is Feinstein.

Do a new thing, for gently caress's sake!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Okay, but the reason people who hate cilantro hate it is because they have a gene that makes it taste like soap.

I mean if you ever hear him on comedy bang bang that’s basically just his personality, he’s just a fair bit smarter in real life. So they really just hire him to be Jason with a fake name and backstory.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's like you get a show that's a little crazy and he comes along and dials it up to 11 and it's just boring to me, it's too much.
He takes a show that's season 2 of scrubs and makes it into season 8 of scrubs.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
"Jason Mantzoukas always basically plays the same character" seems like a non-unique obstacle for a show largely built on Andy Samberg playing himself, Terry Crews playing himself, formerly Chelsea Peretti playing herself, etc. etc.

Stephanie Beatriz is definitely playing against 'type' I guess, and Andre Braugher is playing a twist on his standard role, but in general B99 and most sitcoms are built on people playing the same 'type' and only small variations on what their default character is. It's awesome when people show range (Beatriz on B99, Adam Scott shifting between Ultra Douchebag and Nice Guy, etc) but across a dozen appearances on different shows you end up with Damon Wayans Jr or Niecy Nash or Craig Robinson or Patton Oswalt or Ken Marino or Maya Rudolph or Ben Schwartz basically doing the same shtick.

And if you like those schticks more than Pimento that's incredibly valid and reasonable, but the knock for him not having a greater range is weird to me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hanales posted:

I mean if you ever hear him on comedy bang bang that’s basically just his personality, he’s just a fair bit smarter in real life. So they really just hire him to be Jason with a fake name and backstory.

Edge & Christian posted:

"Jason Mantzoukas always basically plays the same character" seems like a non-unique obstacle for a show largely built on Andy Samberg playing himself, Terry Crews playing himself, formerly Chelsea Peretti playing herself, etc. etc.

Stephanie Beatriz is definitely playing against 'type' I guess, and Andre Braugher is playing a twist on his standard role, but in general B99 and most sitcoms are built on people playing the same 'type' and only small variations on what their default character is. It's awesome when people show range (Beatriz on B99, Adam Scott shifting between Ultra Douchebag and Nice Guy, etc) but across a dozen appearances on different shows you end up with Damon Wayans Jr or Niecy Nash or Craig Robinson or Patton Oswalt or Ken Marino or Maya Rudolph or Ben Schwartz basically doing the same shtick.

And if you like those schticks more than Pimento that's incredibly valid and reasonable, but the knock for him not having a greater range is weird to me.
Neither of these things make it less tiresome to watch him do the same act he's been doing for over a decade across at least four shows.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mantzoukas originally auditioned for the role of Charles Boyle so you Mantzoukas haters lucked out. Personally I like his schtick so the more Mantzoukas the better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I hadn't seen Joe in anything as a regular since The State, so I'm glad as poo poo he got it. I'd missed him.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You should check out No Activity, especially season 2. Mantzoukas plays a pretty normal character, mostly acting against Cristin Milioti who is much more the "Mantzoukas character".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mantzoukas rules, but sure I can see someone getting tired of his bit.

And it's definitely a bit; dude is super mellow and insightful when he wants to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfWVhz-wyc

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hanales posted:

Don't you mean Jeffrey Characterwheaties? Mantzoukas is just his most famous persona.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm fine with Mantzoukas in small doses, and I don't mind him on B99 at all because as said the show has a history of one character kind of taking it over the top from time to time but then the show rearing back in. But yeah, also, after like a decade of watching him do the same joke a bunch of different times in a bunch of different places I'm kinda over it. Not like, enough to be annoyed but enough that like... no, really... I'm good.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbf I would have said the same thing about Andy Samberg before B99

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never really been able to tolerate Samberg in anything and avoided B99 for awhile because of it. Then I finally watched and I'm totally cool with him and enjoy him now but also I watched that Bash Brothers thing he did last year and couldn't make it through it. So I guess I still can't stand him outside B99.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mantzoukas originally auditioned for the role of Charles Boyle so you Mantzoukas haters lucked out. Personally I like his schtick so the more Mantzoukas the better.

Seeing him try to play the Charles role would have been interesting actually

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes sense when you remember that Boyle was kind of a creep at first who was obsessed with Rosa. I would guess the show decided to go more pathetic and harmless with him and then that evolved into the character we're familiar with, but if he had been cast it might have just gone the exact opposite direction and we would have got something like Pimento as Boyle.

Maybe then Jake would have stayed friends with Gina. And maybe she wouldn't have been as cartoonish. Ripples, man.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Pimento is over the top and should be used sparingly but he still makes me laugh, Gina's got consistently worse until critical mass

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn Kevin) also read for Boyle, and that would have been hella weird.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ZZZorcerer posted:

Pimento is over the top and should be used sparingly but he still makes me laugh, Gina's got consistently worse until critical mass

Yeah that's the thing - he's one note and while that's not generally a problem, in his specific case that one note gets kind of exhausting in large doses so about one episode a season is usually quite good. I'll admit I laughed at pretty much every scene of his this time. Knowing that he's only going to be around for about one episode makes it a lot easier for me to find him funny.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I thought he was used really well in this episode and was funny but I can see how he'd get annoying if you see him in a lot of different things doing the same act. I only have seen him in b99 so I don't have that fatigue.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn Kevin) also read for Boyle, and that would have been hella weird.

"My name is Joe Lo Truglio, I play Shawn"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pimento is worth it (I generally like him, because he is used sparingly) for the fake cocaine snorting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is just if you see him in other stuff. Like I first saw him in The League and just got done with The Good Place, so while he's used sparingly in all these shows when he's used sparingly in a bunch of things that adds up. But if you've only seen him in B99 then its just not there for you.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I think a lot of the problem was that this was a Mantzoukas heavy episode and because of the plot he had to act extra wacky almost through the entire thing. I still enjoyed it because I think he's funny but it was definitely amped up to 10.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't like pimento because he's not very funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love Mantzoukas as Derek in TGP, but I’m barely lukewarm on him as Pimento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love him as Pimento