Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

just another posted:

I've been reading that for a few weeks now and things still aren't blowing up.

A combination of the virus not straight killing most people and the institutions not checking it. Is spreading now, just society ignoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

I have to put millions of lives at risk because I'm getting paid $250 to speak to a group of people about suicide prevention

:911:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MorrisBae posted:

I have to put millions of lives at risk because I'm getting paid $250 to speak to a group of people about suicide prevention

:911:

Someone said americans were totally going to show up to work with the chinese flu because they have zero healthcare or social security and lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Looking out for number one is what suicide prevention is all about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is why we are turbo hosed and everyone is gonna get this eventually.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

unpacked robinhood posted:

Someone said americans were totally going to show up to work with the chinese flu because they have zero healthcare or social security and lol

I'm going to predict a major outbreak in America would lead to the experimental vaccines being fast-tracked and the government giving pharma $1000/dose to get them

And then every American gets to take out a loan at a fixed interest rate to afford the cost of the vaccine

"Folks, this is the best we can do" - the president

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

unpacked robinhood posted:

Hahaha it's this. You have to go to work. Your healthcare is awful, your sick hours are awful, and your employer is vindictive

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well, at least that dispel the bioweapon rumor.

If it has gotten to NY, I am going to buy a $300 monthly parking pass to avoid getting in the subway.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

To put things in perspective in the US we're at the point where China wasn't even aware of the problem and Japan is maybe at the point where doctors were aware but the gov't was still ignoring it. If things have broken out in Japan that means we either need to close all travel to Japan as well or accept that the quarantine has failed

If Japan couldn't keep this disease under quarantine it's a lost cause for the rest of the world.

That doesn't mean this is a doomsday infection either though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

If you're under 45 it certainly isn't doomsday. If I was older I'd be extremely concerned

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

rear end in a top hat comedian posted:

"How long is it going to take to get all those results back? Because I've got an engagement on the 20th of February," he told KOMO News, adding he speaks on suicide prevention and wouldn't get paid if he didn't make it.

Somehow I'm guessing that speaking engagement couldn't be more cancelled if a radioactive comet had hit the convention center.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's lots of people I need to infect, c ya !

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

PIZZA.BAT posted:

If you're under 45 it certainly isn't doomsday. If I was older I'd be extremely concerned

That’s fine for us then. Most goons over 45 are already dead.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So did biosuit swat team pick this guy up in the middle of his speech?

E: oh wait it hasn’t happened yet. We can only hope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s fine for us then. Most goons over 45 are already dead.

I'm 60, but I've made my peace with being irrelevant to the continuing well-being of humanity.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
New threat title: SARS-CoV-2 Electric Boogaloo.

https://twitter.com/Beaubier/status/1229503364821442560?s=20

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Where do these people get off? Or do they actually believe the things they are writing?

Lol at the idea of hazmats suits for every nurse.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somehow I'm guessing that speaking engagement couldn't be more cancelled if a radioactive comet had hit the convention center.

Seriously. There is no way in hell this guy still as this gig (or the event even happens anymore) now. But RIP to every comic doing an open mic in Oregon.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Remember how Shin Godzilla was a rebuke of Japanese disaster response and bureaucratic fuckery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtHYZkLuKcI

Edit: TLDR, there was never a proper quarantine set up on the ship. Nobody who has actually dealt with infectious disease was in charge. When someone who actually had experience in dealing with H1N1 class diseases tried to get involved he was shot down three different ways and had to sneak on board just to find out what the Christ was going on.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 18, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

number of US cases just doubled

well gently caress

edit: Oh it's the people they evacuated from the ship

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 18, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

number of US cases just doubled

well gently caress

I’m still waiting for my S/Os test results to come back.

It takes 5 days for them to process it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Tei posted:

A combination of the virus not straight killing most people and the institutions not checking it. Is spreading now, just society ignoring it.

Allegory for climate change, now available in a convenient virus form.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

I’m still waiting for my S/Os test results to come back.

It takes 5 days for them to process it.

Eh, try not to sweat it. The test isn’t even a definitive indicator- some people have tested negative, and tested negative, then abruptly started testing positive weeks later.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mrs sexual just went to the doctor today. She has a flu. Not A or B so they couldn’t identify it I guess. Wtf

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Burt Sexual posted:

Mrs sexual just went to the doctor today. She has a flu. Not A or B so they couldn’t identify it I guess. Wtf

Well, good news I guess, you won't have to go on the cruise to meet the latest sensation sweeping the nation.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Burt Sexual posted:

Turns out, it isn't you that needs to worry about the cruise, it's all of the others going on the cruise with you that should be worried!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Stay safe Burt & your leopard print clad SO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this new flu is type c right?

Flu A B and C
USB A B and C

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So question, this Westerdam ship wasn't allowed to dock anywhere in Asia yet managed to have an infected American woman on board. Do we know where she got it? I can't find any article that says where the ship docked. So how did the virus get on board?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gearhead posted:

Well, good news I guess, you won't have to go on the cruise to meet the latest sensation sweeping the nation.

It's a real savings, a blessing really

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

gently caress, covid19 has causality-breaking capabilities!!!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MarcusSA posted:

So this new flu is type c right?

Flu A B and C
USB A B and C

For a decent amount of time, Hep C was called Hepatitis Non-A/Non-B.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Burt Sexual posted:

Did you get a doctors note? Is there anything in the contract saying you can cancel due to sickness? I’m sure they would be glad to refund you if your party had covid-19 symptoms.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gearhead posted:

Remember how Shin Godzilla was a rebuke of Japanese disaster response and bureaucratic fuckery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtHYZkLuKcI

Edit: TLDR, there was never a proper quarantine set up on the ship. Nobody who has actually dealt with infectious disease was in charge. When someone who actually had experience in dealing with H1N1 class diseases tried to get involved he was shot down three different ways and had to sneak on board just to find out what the Christ was going on.

And people were asking for the heads of Wuhan officials because they fumbled the quarantine of the city. I just watch Shin Godzilla yesterday to refresh on the never ending Japanese cabinet meetings.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hopper posted:

So question, this Westerdam ship wasn't allowed to dock anywhere in Asia yet managed to have an infected American woman on board. Do we know where she got it? I can't find any article that says where the ship docked. So how did the virus get on board?

Official statements are that it's unknown where she got it, but the ship docked in Hong Kong and that's when other countries started to turn away the ship.

Literally the first article that came up when I searched for "westerdam":
"The ship visited Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, according to marinetraffic.com. But after departing Hong Kong on February 1, where 768 guests joined the boat, that it quickly became unwelcome in ports around the region."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/asia/westerdam-cruise-infection-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shaocaholica posted:

Did you get a doctors note? Is there anything in the contract saying you can cancel due to sickness? I’m sure they would be glad to refund you if your party had covid-19 symptoms.

We leave in 25 days.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone panicking here just has the flu. Chill.
Edit: Though, of course, you can totally die from the flu.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Can we have a special permadead avatar for people who die from wuhan flu

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh god the comedian sounds loving insufferable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mugOzr6ItFk

quote:

Frank King, a mental health activist and comedian, pinpoints problems and offers solutions in methods of handling mental health issues, advocating for a greater use of humor. Frank King is a professional speaker, comedian, and mental health activist with over 30 years of experience making people laugh, learn, and leave his presentations loving life. Frank, a former writer for "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," has also worked with and coached many celebrities, including Ellen DeGeneres, Kevin James, Carrot Top, Jeff Foxworthy, and Ken Jeong. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
We learned quite a bit with the Diamond Princess. It’s highly virulent despite quarantine measures. I can buy that many got sick due to handling of food, but there were workers who came aboard with barriers and had zero contact with passengers and ended up with it.

Some patients test for it but are completely symptomatic. Others have symptoms that are mistakable for common cold, or at worst mild flu, and at this stage wouldn’t lead the public at large to seek medical treatment.

Chance it’s spreading horizontally in the population, globally, is high. Chance of isolating in the few vertical towers that are known to the public are low.

And I’d have to build an Excel model, but difference between a 1.28 and a 3 R0 is profound, depending on the time horizon. Exponentials kick in rather quickly. Other thing that’s not being commonly factored (at least that I’ve seen) is the average length a patient is contagious. With flu, it’s 3-5 days. I don’t know the answer, but with COVID-19, it might be considerably longer.