Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm on my second fort this version and its weird; the first fort had a gently caress ton of visitors, and then this one has absolutely none. I don't know if its a bug or if its just that nobody wants to trek over a day thru a frozen poo poo waste to reach me. Everything else is reaching me fine tho so it's a big rear end mystery.

Second note is that dang actually having your military fight an incoming invasion really stresses the crap out of them. Its a little silly they're just as distraught by dead enemies as dead allies. Hopefully they get over it like they did in the older versions but if that doesn't work I can always deport them I guess. Bit silly.

Also I really wish there was a debug option to see pathing heatmaps or something so I can figure out if there's any pathfinding hell that's making frames die.

I’ve not played in years but can’t you put your slaughterhouse in the main hall so your dwarves get accustomed to seeing death and corpses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Joke Miriam posted:

I’ve not played in years but can’t you put your slaughterhouse in the main hall so your dwarves get accustomed to seeing death and corpses?

In the newest versions they never, ever forget and every single time they walk past a corpse it adds another stressful thought.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Also, unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of, each individual body/body part can generate an entirely separate bad thought, meaning corpse stockpiles and battlefields can be immensely traumatizing. While this is reasonably verisimilitudinous, it is not much fun to manage in fortress mode.

Haven't looked into the new version(s) yet to see how stress mitigation has changed, though, full disclosure.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is the "forever traumatized" thing a problem that is on the chopping block? I feel like there hasn't been a time without a major bug like that since 40d.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The latest version had some stuff in the patch notes about priests and temples helping mental state? Has anyone managed to build some of those and see how it works?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Appoda posted:

Is the "forever traumatized" thing a problem that is on the chopping block? I feel like there hasn't been a time without a major bug like that since 40d.

It's not a bug, it's a feature

The bug is there's no therapy feature to help combat it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Toady has said the infinitely stacking permastress is Working As Intended and someday he’ll fully implement therapistspriests dorfs can talk to to offset all the bad thoughts with positive thoughts.

As-is, if you want to run a fort for longer than about 10 ingame years then you need to set up an elaborate megasystem of cage traps and lava dumps so there are never any body parts anywhere, use dfhack to cheat away the piles of negative thoughts periodically, or play an older version.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 15, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How far back is the version without stacking permastress?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

My very first fort on these new builds had the first wave of migrants filled with already traumatized dwarfs and so far the "mercenary" that arrived in that group has killed one of my miners so he's in jail and will have an "accident" after that. The Necromancer migrant got elected mayor before I could send him away but so far he hasn't tried to raise any dead. Overall two years in and just one werebeast attack and no other threats at all besides internal. (unless secret plots are brewing I don't know about and haven't figured out how to uncover) I haven't even hit the caverns yet as I've been too busy making tons of rooms and smelting tons of metals.

I did mod the raws to get rid of aquifers as my first try had damp stones no matter where I dug and i didn't want to deal with that. From further reading it looks like most of them are just slow drips but with all my digging canceling again and again I got too annoyed.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Necromancer migrants and visitors won't raise dead unless they're in combat. It really sucks for necro monster slayers, who will run straight to your caverns, raise a troll and a handful of animal people, and immediately die to their own zombies, all because they saw a crundle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

How far back is the version without stacking permastress?

I think that's the 2014 version?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In the newest versions they never, ever forget and every single time they walk past a corpse it adds another stressful thought.
Since when?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Since 2017 release

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good lord they added alot of things to dfhack.
Does the 3d siege engines plugin still exist?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there a hack or something that lets me record an overlay to mine out? I have a nice layout I use while digging down but it can be tedious to do it for every layer.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I learned pretty quickly that you cannot, absolutely loving cannot, have a corpse stockpile, because it turns into a room that just absolutely loving breaks the brains of the dwarfs that enter it. Non-civ bodies now just get dumped in a shaft straight down into the magma sea. Desensitization does seem to occur, kind of, but I think its just tied directly to the discipline trait or some attribute rather than continued exposure. I've got some migrants that came with legendary combat skills and they absolutely do not care about dead things despite not actually having been in combat; meanwhile immigrants with actual kills under their belts still get freaked out about seeing dead goblins.

Dorf ptsd is kind of an interesting thing but mainly the issues are that its not actually tied well to danger or shame or cultural attitudes or whatever rather than just seeing corpses, and its corpses of enemies or megabeasts and that registers just as strongly as seeing the dead body of a comrade. And there doesn't seem to be any diminishing returns on it which is kind ehh, like, I think at some point the amount of horror you get at seeing things doesn't actually increase linearly. That and you live in a fort with like, a constant 10% attirition rate, at some point you start to wonder how the gently caress every dwarf ends up having lead such a sheltered existence where seeing a dead cat drives them to mental breakdown.

The other half of the mental poo poo, including focus, is that if you want to really deal with it you end up having to micro a lot to make sure dwarfs get time to go socialize or worship or whatever instead of just being able to, say, assign a general labor policy of "take breaks whenever you feel like it, no, really, just relax", or "if you're gonna be a big baby about the bone pile then don't go into it you flipping beardling" and the like

e: i took over a forest retreat and im just using it to dump off citizens that get too stressed. i think they end up moving away on their own tho but really i guess i dont care, better they just piss off instead of dying in the middle of the break room and setting everyone off

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Historically speaking corpse collection was handled by specialized people. Often marginalized people who were shunned by most others.

Maybe there should be a specific profession for corpse hauling and Dwarves in that profession should be entirely unaffected by the sights and smells of death.

Also only Dwarf (and maybe human/elf) bodies should cause big bad thoughts. The rest should be mild annoyances at best and Dwarves seeing Goblin/monster/megabeast carcasses should be pleased.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 16, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I guess you can toggle refuse hauling on things but boy howdy that takes more micro management poo poo than I'm willing to deal with. Maybe have an autofilter based on how badly they'd get messed up by it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there a hack or something that lets me record an overlay to mine out? I have a nice layout I use while digging down but it can be tedious to do it for every layer.

There was a program for this years ago, no idea if it still works. I forgot what it's called as well

Additionally there's an in game macro system for recording your own command sequences

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Macros_and_keymaps

It will change your life.

Here's a gif from when I was playing with huge bedroom complexes (each swirly bit was a bedroom, study and dining room), and also cleaning up the macros to make them faster.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 16, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Macros_and_keymaps

It will change your life.

Here's a gif from when I was playing with huge bedroom complexes (each swirly bit was a bedroom, study and dining room), and also cleaning up the macros to make them faster.

It changed my life. Thank you.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

GorfZaplen posted:

There was a program for this years ago, no idea if it still works. I forgot what it's called as well

Additionally there's an in game macro system for recording your own command sequences

Quickfort. It lets you plan digging and building placement in a CSV and then apply with an out of game tool.

I switched to macros, though, as they work fine for my needs.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Surprise Sunday update:

quote:

Here's another bug-fix release, ranging into some older issues as well. There's been some work on the raid crash/corruption problem, though I suspect that is ongoing - hopefully the frequency is lessened. I've also done a few quick changes to socializing and stress, but that's a longer project as well. Dwarves clump now in zones and taverns, which should help with the friendship rate, and I've made the most stressable dwarves a little more fixable. One of the major causes of loyalty spirals/civil wars has been handled, and I did some work with hospital rest and diagnosis problems.

Reminder: We'll start coding on the graphical version in a few weeks. We'll still have these bug-fix releases periodically, though there will be an initial gap of some time while I get the core framework done to the point where the artists can use it. But there should be at least one more bug-fix release around the change of the month before that work begins.

Major bug fixes
Cleaned up equipment tracking issue for returning fort-mode raiders
Made historical spies drop possibly divisive cover identities when arriving as regular fort citizens
Stopped patients that have been in traction for a week from requiring diagnosis repeatedly
Made dwarves inside hospitals return to rest if rest is cancelled
Supported doctor's guildhall to fix broken petitions
Fixed freeze related to forbidding doors/hatches
Fixed crash related to starting modded fort mode critters with natural skills
Stopped crash related to artifacts/books placed on adv pack animals
Fixed crash related to deleting zones in adv mode site planning
Fixed unretirement crash in adv mode
Fixed bug causing you to become a different historical figure when unretiring
Fixed w.g. crash related to imprisonment by civilizations that have lost their capitals

Other bug fixes/tweaks
Allowed placement of altars in fort mode (they have no specific function yet)
Added person-seeking behavior to socialize activity and to jobless milling about in zones
Changed stress calculation for high vulnerability personalities
Made mummies control tombs more fully so allies couldn't call on zombies to fight themselves
Stopped mercenaries from being hired to attack their own forts
Fixed problem causing w.g. people to falsely befriend themselves for information
Fixed xml log for entities acquiring buildings
Fixed xml log for entities breaching the underworld

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I love how fixing the insanely stress susceptible personality types just flys in as part of a casual hotfix after the main update, as if it's not been a major gripe since the last major release years ago.

necrotic posted:

Quickfort. It lets you plan digging and building placement in a CSV and then apply with an out of game tool.

I switched to macros, though, as they work fine for my needs.

Do you have any link to like a repo of useful CSVs for Quickfort? I looked into it long ago but was put off by not finding any useful ones ready to go and didn't really have the patience to figure out making them for myself.

A quick google just now just turned up the same links as before which seemed dead.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 17, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Stress update too late for a few dwarfs in my fort. The troublesome mercenary was still in jail when he managed to get a hold of the necromancer mayor and needless to say, we now have a new mayor and the mercenary was expelled from the fort, but unable to leave since he was still chained up. Which made it easy for my squad to slice him to bits. Did have to replace his wife who got expelled along with him (i guess the whole family goes if you kick one out?) she was the manager but the new manager picked it up with no delay. Now raiding nearby empty site for artifacts that will improve the value of our fort. And also inspire all the various factions that are at peace with us to want to go to war, we already got humans sneaking around.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

IPA Regulations posted:

I love how fixing the insanely stress susceptible personality types just flys in as part of a casual hotfix after the main update, as if it's not been a major gripe since the last major release years ago.

Do you have any link to like a repo of useful CSVs for Quickfort? I looked into it long ago but was put off by not finding any useful ones ready to go and didn't really have the patience to figure out making them for myself.

A quick google just now just turned up the same links as before which seemed dead.

I believe there's a lot of quick fort files on dwarf fortress wiki

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I'm gonna wait for the bug fixing patches now

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

file changes between 47.02 and 47.03 are extremely trivial

no raw alterations, interface.txt has one more keybind and worldgen.txt has a few dumb whitespace lines removed

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
....... you know what, I don't actually know anymore if fps death has much to do with pathfinding.

I did some tests, see. I have an fps of 30-ish with around 180 dudes. I proceeded to seal them all off form the caverns, essentially cutting the size of my fort in half. No fps reduction. I then sealed literally everyone into one room, and even once all the job cancellation spam died off, it still was around 30 fps. I suppose it could still be doing pathing checks with poo poo that would cause slowdown so maybe the next steps are things like "destroy all warehouses", "destroy all workshops", "destroy all labor". Then again the process resulted in me forbidding everything and all fortress jobs essentially stopped so that should be accounted for but I'm still just going :iiam: irl right now.

Even disabling temperature and weather didn't do anything noticeable. I'm guessing theres a lot of poo poo just related to their psychology that results in their mere existence slowing things down. Or other checks related to items, like the three thousand boulders I have lying around. I suppose the next step is throwing every single thing in the fort into lava followed by the dwarfs themselves and seeing if that does much. Or doing dfhack things.

e: also unassigned this nerd from all his labor and jobs and he's still whining about not being able to pray or drink, despite hanging out around a big stockpile of booze next to like eight different shrines to all his gods, fuckin dork.

e2: it may also be the fps counter is full of lies which would be funny

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 17, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
IIRC there's some weirdness where pathing goes backwards from the task/item to the dwarf, so locking off the dwarves wouldn't necessarily have the effect you'd intuitively expect.

I've never had a save file where toggling temperature didn't make an absolutely massive difference, though.

e: decay and other regularly-updated calculations for items are also really huge; eliminating clutter and dirt/spatter also makes a pretty significant difference

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 17, 2020

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Can you flirt/whatever in adventure mode, or is everyone doomed to have their "make romance" need unfulfilled forever?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The "Identify Yourself!" loop in adventure mode is a bug right? Not just me loving something up?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jack Trades posted:

The "Identify Yourself!" loop in adventure mode is a bug right? Not just me loving something up?

I had it too I probably should've reported it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

IPA Regulations posted:

I do not. I didn't use it long enough to go looking, either. I'd expect the thread on the forums to have some, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is the skill needed to forge trap components, black- or weaponsmithing?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tias posted:

What is the skill needed to forge trap components, black- or weaponsmithing?

If you mean the mechanism, it's mechanics. If you mean the serrated discs and corkscrews and things, it's weaponsmithing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The real answer is glassblowing

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When in doubt just turn on all crafts all stone labor turn on architecture and alchemy

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Jay-Roden posted:

Do you mind sharing the tileset? I like the look of it and using obsidion for so many years gets old.

Not at all! It’s a combination of Mayday’s tileset, which should be easy to find, and Beefmo’s graphics set from years ago that was continued briefly by Thrin. The graphics set is a millions years out of date and I’m not very good with the logistics of installing this stuff so it might be broken. But it’s the best graphics set there’s ever been, especially the kobolds and orcs! :3:

I’m away from my computer but I’ll find links to DFFD and edit them in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mzbundifund posted:

If you mean the mechanism, it's mechanics. If you mean the serrated discs and corkscrews and things, it's weaponsmithing.

Well, technically, you can forge metal components as well
:goonsay:

But thanks! Seems to be working!